weird

weird birthday
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Some say that when you get older, you get to be wiser and see the world from a different perspective. To some, it’s nothing different really. Just another time wasted until your death finally takes you away. But to Donghyuk, it’s neither of those. He never really gets the idea on why people make things as if it’s just double sided. Sure, being older now isn’t all butterflies and sunshine as it were when he was younger, but it reminded him to be grateful that he still had a chance on this earth. He did manage to debut as a member of a group in one of the biggest company after all.

The older you get the more people forget about your birthday. Donghyuk noticed this years ago. All his friends and colleagues probably had something else they had to think of to even care. But he also realizes that the ones who never forgets are his family. His mom and his younger sister would always make a video call with him when it’s birthday. That’s only when the schedule isn’t standing in the way though. Which what seems to be the case right now.

Donghyuk’s schedule has been really packed. It’s getting closer to iKON’s comeback so it’s certainly not questionable. Today he had to go to the salon to get a new possibly hairdo and then continue off with the daily practice him and the rest of the members are currently obligated to do. So knowing he couldn’t talk to his family on his own birthday, Donghyuk went out of his room with a slight pout on his face.

“Tell me why is the birthday boy so grumpy?” Bobby asked with a grin on his face. Donghyuk let out a slight chuckle at the older who was eating his breakfast so deliciously. “Because I have to wake up this early even on my birthday” Hearing the reply made Bobby laugh a little as he then continued to eat his breakfast.

“What? It’s Donghyuk’s birthday?” At this point Donghyuk doesn’t know if Junhoe is being serious or just playing with him. Either way he isn’t that surprised. It is Junhoe, after all. “You’re the worst.” Donghyuk stated trying to sound pissed but failed as he couldn’t stop smiling at the younger’s shenanigans. “Hey, come here.” Bobby demanded telling Donghyuk to come over to the table he is eating at. Donghyuk did so and as reflect he took a seat beside his hyung.

“Happy birthday, Donghyuk-ah. I know me and the other members will be busy today but I hope you wouldn’t think that we don’t care or anything. We love you a lot and we hope you age well~” Donghyuk chuckled at the witty comment in the end. Bobby got up from his seat and gave the younger a hug from the back. “Hope the hair coordi noona won’t mess up your hair~” Bobby said as cheerful as he was before. Donghyuk smiled and thanked him. “Thank you so much, hyung. Good luck on your recording session with Hanbin hyung, be safe.” Donghyuk joked. “Hah, we all know no one’s safe in a recording room with Hanbin in it.” Bobby replied. He then got up from his seat and left the younger.

“Is the recording session now?” Donghyuk asked before Bobby left too far off. “Yeap. I’m leaving now. Take care, Dong chan” Bobby said before he opens the door to leave. Donghyuk sighed as he remembers that he had schedules too. He then grabbed some food and changed his clothes to a much warmer one knowing that it’s freezing outside. He grabbed everything he needed before he goes and went straightly outside the room. After he opened the door, he heard Junhoe calling his name stopping his steps. He turned back to look at Junhoe still in his pajamas doing only God knows what.

“Forgot about me, eh?” Junhoe asked teasing him. Donghyuk scoffed. “What is it, Junhoe?” the tone in Donghyuk’s voice was clear to tell Junhoe that he is not pleased by his sudden call. Junhoe smirked and Donghyuk already knows whatever will come out of his mouth will be something that is not worth wasting his time.

“Happy birthday, dongdong~” Junhoe greeted with a slight aegyo he uses sometimes to annoy the hyungs. “So… that’s it? Nothing else you wanna add?” Donghyuk asked obviously demanding for a sincerer wish. Couldn’t he at least make him feel touched a little for wasting his precious time? Donghyuk then chuckled as he realized that it is Junhoe after all. What would he expect?

“What more do you want me to say?” Junhoe asked. This time Donghyuk was sure he is actually clueless, so he just shook his head and gave him a smile. “Never mind. Thanks Junhoe~ Hurry up and get a shower wouldn’t you? It almost seems like you don’t have a schedule” Donghyuk reminded him. Junhoe pouted at the sudden reminder. “It’s in an hour. I have plenty of time.” Junhoe argued, Donghyuk scrunches his face hearing him and turned away to leave the younger.

“Later, Junhoe. Don’t cause trouble.” Donghyuk shouted for him to hear. He heard Junhoe mumbling something about how he never causes any trouble but Donghyuk just shrugged it off as he went straightly to the salon he was told to go to.

 

***

 

After Donghyuk was done getting his hair styled, he went decided to give himself a proper break. They didn’t end up dying his hair into crazy colors which Donghyuk was definitely thankful for. He doesn’t want to ruin his hair by dying it too much. The staff just gave him a trim so it took him a lot less time that he thought it would.

Thus, he told the manager to buy him a drink from across the building. While he waits for the return of his manager, he decided to check his phone to see he is bombarded with birthday messages. By bombarded he means about 30-ish, including from his family and his collegues. Most of them were from everyone he met in YG Entertainment. He then answered the ones from his family first and then decided to check the ones from s.

The first one he saw was from his leader, Hanbin.

 

From: Hanbinnie hyung

Message:

Happy Birthday to my dongsaeng! Don’t forget we have a schedule this noon 😊

 

Reading the older’s message to him, Donghyuk could only shake his head and laugh. Hanbin had always been a simple man. It’s actually one of his charms and Donghyuk couldn’t help but just smile at that thought. He then scrolled to see more wishes from the following members. He received a video message from Yunhyeong which showed him and Jinhwan singing him a birthday song with terrifying off key notes they did on purpose. Donghyuk laughed almost too loud causing weird looks from the staff. He was embarrassed but then shrug it off as he saw Chanwoo’s message at the very bottom. He sent Donghyuk a message at exactly 12.00am which kind of surprised him. He then opened the said message to see a very long letter dedicated to the birthday boy himself.

 

From: Cutest Maknae <3

Message:

Dear Donghyukkie that we all adore in our hearts, you have turned 22 today! Yaaay! In this busy busy month I could see you working so hard, it’s very endearing to see and it motivates me to do better. Thank you for being a great member and friend. Thank you, for being so nice to me despite the circumstances back then. Thank you, for being you~ At my darkest times where I felt like I wanted to give up everything, I think of you. There must be times where you were in my place and was the last person to join. Seeing that you’ve turned into such a great part of the group gives me strength. I hope you continue on being a great inspiration, for me and of course for our fans. Let’s stay together forever, Donghyuk! I love you<3

 

Donghyuk was both surprised and touched reading the message from his maknae. He would expect this from Chanwoo, but to receive such a sincere message was not what he was ready to cope with. He was so caught up in the moment that he didn’t realize that his manager was standing right in front of him.

“Why are you crying, Donghyuk?”

Donghyuk was taken aback by the manager’s sudden question. He then placed his right hand on his face to notice that his face was wet with his tears. Donghyuk was crying without even realizing it. He then quickly wiped it off his face to reply the manager’s question.

 “I didn’t even realize some tears were falling, hyung! Heheh Let’s head back” Donghyuk said determined. He then grabed the drink that he asked for from the manager’s hand. Obviously, the manager was confused by what just happened so he caught up with Donghyuk who was skipping the way to the van.

“You sure everything’s okay?” The manager asked. Donghyuk chuckled in response. “Don’t worry, hyung. Today’s my birthday and you’d be surprised how many sappy things I have received” He explained truthfully. Donghyuk could see his manager change his expression from a worried one to a relieved one. “You worried me there, you rascal!” The manager said rubbing his chest. Donghyuk just laughed at his manager and focused on his way home.

 

***

 

Donghyuk rushed himself upstairs, to the others’ apartment room, using the key that the manager gave him. Good thing he would buy the birthday excuse. He then immediately barged into the room he is planning to go, hoping to see the owner of the room to be present. When he aggressively opened the door, he finds the said person, Chanwoo, startled by the sudden visit of the other member.

“Donghyuk! What are you doing here?” Chanwoo exclaimed in shock turning away from the computer that Donghyuk guesses was used for his games. “Great! I’m glad you’re here” Donghyuk stated as if Chanwoo didn’t ask anything to him. “Seriously, Donghyuk?! I lost the game because of you!” Chanwoo whined causing Donghyuk to laugh. It was almost cute. Almost.

“I’m going treat you for lunch, y’know.. before our next schedule” Chanwoo looked at the older with a bewildered face. “What? Why so sudden?” Chanwoo asked still not getting Donghyuk’s point. Donghyuk lets himself sit on the younger’s bed and hold onto the chair that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter