Supermarket F...ish?

Survival Strategy

I’ve always been the type of girl who was ready for everything life throws at me. There could be an apocalypse and you can bet that I’d be one hell of a survivor. One time, my car hitched in the middle of nowhere and I didn’t even panic. It only took me about half an hour to get my car up and running again. There was also this storm, not so long ago, that got me stranded in my house for three freakin’ days. I didn’t even know it was coming, but I was more than ready for the . Heck, I could’ve even lasted more than a week. 

 

The point is, I’m not the type of girl who gets caught off guard that easily. Panic isn’t in my vocabulary. So when I was standing frozen in the middle of a bustling market, holding a bag of an equally frozen fish, I didn’t know what went wrong. But then again, I kinda did. This time, my reflexes failed me and before I could even react, she was fast approaching me. 

 

“Yuri! Oh my god! How have you been?” 

 

The woman in stylish clothes unfit for the market crowd, also known as “the ex-girlfriend”, said as she squeezed me into a hug. When she felt that I wasn’t being responsive, she backed away. Her previous excitement replaced with what I could make out as embarrassment.

 

“Sorry for coming at you like that.” She said. Her voice, still as sweet as I remembered it to be.

 

My first girlfriend. My first love, I guess. Known each other for four years and had been together for two of those years before we mutually decided to break up. She was ambitious. Her dreams were big and her desire to achieve them were even bigger. I’ve always been amazed at how much tenacity and determination that petite body contains. I had dreams of my own. In my perspective, not as big as hers, but a dream nonetheless. I’ve achieved some of them now and I wonder if the same goes for her. Almost two freakin’ years since the break up, not that I’m keeping count, and seeing her now makes me nostalgic. 

 

“Hi!” I stupidly exclaimed. 

 

She smiled. “For a second there, I thought you were gonna run off.”

 

“When did I ever?” I said jokingly.

 

“Touché.” 

 

“It was nice seeing you. Though, you look like you have somewhere to be so I won’t bother you for long. But we should definitely talk sometime.” 

 

Nothing could have ever prepared me for this moment. So, when the only thing I wanted was to hang-out with her a little longer, I said the first thing that came to mind. 

 

“I’m cooking fish!” 

 

Face palm. Mental face palm. I could die of embarrassment as people looked at me as if cooking fish was such a crazy idea. I can cook a mean meal out of scrap, do they not know that? But then again, maybe it was the fact that I just shouted the whole thing in the middle of a busy crowd.

 

She chuckled. “What?”

 

Gosh darn it. Why did I have to say that? I know I could be suave when I want to. Maybe it would be better if I copied scenes from dramas where they prevent someone from leaving by grabbing their wrist. Then, in my usual y voice I could’ve said, “don’t go”. Yeah. I’m sure that could have worked better. I really can’t think straight when she’s here gaying it all up.

 

“I mean, why not now? We could talk now. Lunch is on me.” I said. Hopefully sounding more composed. And suave. 

 

...

 

We had lunch at my place. Caught-up on a lot of things and it turned out that she’s now working on the last chapter of her book, and she’s also directed a number of films. I actually remember watching a movie she directed. I didn’t know at the time. The girl that I was dating then picked it out. It was good. Really good. I could tell she has a great future ahead. 

 

“Your students must love you.” 

 

“Well, of course. Everybody loves a cool teacher.” I stated arrogantly. 

 

She laughed. “The ever so modest Yuri.” 

 

I grinned.

 

The ex-girlfriends, sitting in front of each other, talking comfortably after enjoying a good fishy meal. Once again, I didn’t know where to go from here. Do I just send her home alone or am I supposed to accompany her? What if she was actually busy and she was just nice enough to accept my invitation? 

 

“Hey. Thank you for the meal, and for not ignoring me, and for inviting me in your lovely house.”

 

“You should come by again. But only if you want to!”

 

“I would definitely come and visit.”

 

Was it weird that I wanted to kiss her? Darn it. Hours together and I’m already thinking of idiotic things. I don’t even know if she’s committed or how long she’s staying here. And why do I sound like I want us to get back together?! Oh, that’s right. I do.

 

“Cool. How long are you here for?”

 

“Just until I finish my book. Hopefully, two months at most.”

 

Two months. When you’ve pined for someone for two years, I guess you’ll take every chance you get to at least fill your mind with new memories. I’m about to do just that. So that I could add it to my memory’s playlist entitled, “Jessica Jung”. So whenever I feel like making myself cry or smile or really any emotion at all, there’s one for each in that folder, I could just replay scenes in my head. Scenes that are still clearly embedded in my mind. Four years worth of archive. Now, I have two months. I have to make it count. 

 

...

 

I have a basement full of survival stuff. Food, gadgets, you name it. I told you, I was ready for an apocalypse. My car  also has the necessary stuff in case I ever get stranded on the road. My bag is full of wonders. All the things I would need for every worst case scenarios, it’s all in here, in this normal-looking bag. It puts Doraemon’s pocket to shame.

Despite that, I had no idea how to react or what survival strategy is best to apply when I saw my lunatic of a bestfriend approaching me with my beautiful-smiling-sweetly-(hopefully)at-me ex-girlfriend in tow. I was sure that we’d meet again. But not this soon, and especially not in the university where I work. I might be close to having a cardiac arrest, but who cares? Not me. 

 

“Yuri!” My lunatic bestfriend yelled like there weren’t studying students in the building.

 

I rolled my eyes. “What are you even doing here?” I said in distaste. Then I turned to Jessica, wearing the sweetest, but still suave, smile I could muster. “Hi. I wasn’t expecting you to visit me so quickly.” 

 

“You two-faced .” Taeyeon said, narrowing her eyes at me.

 

“Taeyeon saw me at an art museum nearby and thought it would be nice if we give you a little visit.” 

 

“Oh.”

 

Well, I’m embarrassed. Another thing that I wasn’t prepared for. But really, how do you get over the feeling that you’ve just kinda humiliated yourself in front of your ex?

 

“Ha! And you thought she intended to visit you.” 

 

“I was planning on inviting you to dinner so...everything worked out, I guess.” 

 

Bam! Jessica saves the day, once again. I think it’s ironic that the only one I’m never gonna be prepared for is also the strategy itself. I’m sure you didn’t get that because me neither. See? No survival gadget’s ever gonna save me from this. Not that I’d want to be saved. Hell, I’d willingly die in the Jessica apocalypse over and over again. Ew. Too cheesy. 

 

“Gee. Thanks for the back-up.” Taeyeon complained.

 

Jessica laughed. “You’re invited, too. My treat.”

 

Have you ever seen a car with a spare tire mounted on its rear or under it? Tip:  Put a freakin’ spare tire in your car. You won’t know when you’re gonna need it. If you don’t have one, then let me give you one. Because I’m not amused at the prospect of Taeyeon third-wheeling this self-proclaimed date. Take her. Mount her in your car and keep her there for as long as you like.

 

...

 

Dinner was great. Good food. Good place. Great conversations. Great Jessica. Or should it be “Jessica, the great”? You get the point. Taeyeon was, well, helpful.  Still as funny as her face. 

 

“Thanks for the ride, guys.” Jessica said before she got out of the car. 

 

Taeyeon and I followed suit.

 

“Goodnight.” I said.

 

She smiled as she leaned in and kissed me on the cheek. “Goodnight.”

 

Taeyeon cleared and slightly leaned her cheek towards Jessica. “Goodnight?”

I think I might want to abandon a particular spare tire somewhere, or puncture it with a screwdriver. Whatever works. Because holy hell my ex is leaning in towards the spare tire and I have the urge to grab a screwdriver from the boot of my car. I was already considering it but stopped when it turned out to be just a hug. 

 

“Aw. No kisses?” Taeyeon pouted.

 

Why is Jessica even laughing at this? It’s not cute. It’s disgusting. You know what? I think I need to change my tires. 

 

“Goodnight, Taeyeon.” Jessica then turned to me and flashed me a smile. “Drive safely.”

 

I drove Taeyeon home after that. Don’t worry. She’s still alive. 

 

“Alright. Thanks for the ride, buddy. Now, shoo.” 

 

I glared at her. “You’re lucky I kept you alive.”

 

She laughed. “I’m lucky? No, you’re lucky that I’m still alive.”

 

When I die, the most probable reason would be because of cardiac arrest. I can prepare all I want but I can’t possibly prepare for everything. Like sudden encounters with your ex, lunch date with the said ex, cheek kisses also by the said ex, and a good news from your bestfriend.

 

“She’s still single, by the way. You’re welcome.”

 

...

 

I am Kwon Yuri, the queen of preparedness. So better believe that after two months of Jessica’s supposed stay here, I have a plan to make her stay. Because I’m suave like that. 

 

“Yuri.” Jessica greeted me with a smile as she opened the door to her apartment.

 

“Hi. I hope I’m not getting in the way of your packing.”

 

“Oh, no. I’m not yet leaving.” 

 

A spark of hope. Another close call to cardiac arrest. 

 

“Cool. You’ve extended your stay?”

 

She nodded. “What do you have there?”

 

The ex-girlfriend proved once again that I can never truly prepare when it comes to her. I had a whole speech written down. I suddenly can’t remember them all. So when Jessica was staring at me like a kid expecting for an approval to do what they want, I did the first that came to mind.

 

“Fish!” I yelled as I lifted the paperbag.

 

She laughed. “What?”

 

That was so not suave. I blame the fish.

 

“I thought you were leaving really soon so I decided to commemorate it with the first meal we ate together two months ago.”

 

She smiled. “That’s really thoughtful. Thank you.” 

 

I had a plan to ask her out today but it turns out, staying in with her is way better. Who knew that I would actually enjoy random writing and directing tips from her? Weird. But also cool. Weirdly cool. Or is it cooly weird? I had a plan to make her stay but I was the one who stayed until late that night.

 

...

 

Have you ever encountered the white bright light? No, I’m not high. It’s when you’re in your deathbed and death itself finally decided to pay you a visit. Well, I don’t know about you but I have. If dying meant Jessica’s lips pressed against mine, then I’d gladly die again and again. 

 

“Yuri...”

 

“I’m still in love with you.” I blurted out. 

 

She smiled. “That makes the both of us.”

 

“You’re still leaving though.”

 

“I finished the last chapter a month after I got here.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“Why do you think I’m still here?”

 

I smiled and kissed once again. 

 

Out of this whole ordeal, I learned one simple lesson. It’s to never forget to bring a spare tire. 

...

 

 

 

 

 

Wow. It’s been a while since I’ve last written a Yulsic story. Is anyone still reading fics anyway? Because if not, then that would mean no one ever really saw this and I’m here talking to myself. Crazy, right? Yep. Crazy indeed.