Promises

Cheer Up!

“You have to come, no excuses.” Seungkwan promptly crossed his arms below his chest giving Hansol a look that seemed almost too familiar. The younger of the two felt his eyes roll as he looked off to something else that was happening in the semi-crowded school hallways. 

The two boys had found a place on the wall to chat after Seungkwan had practically tackled Hansol, going on about how he had something to tell him. “There will be singing and danci- oh don’t give me that look.” 

“I’m not giving you any kind of look.” 

“Yes you are.” Right now Seungkwan was trying to convince him to come to the school’s yearly arts festival. His blond friend was performing with his theater group and of course his first mission was to get Hansol to come and watch. It’s not that he didn’t want to go, it’s just that he’d rather not be at school for longer than he’s supposed to be. Sure he’s seen Seungkwan belt one out many of times before, in fact probably more than anyone else.

“Come on, don’t go home and just mope around doing nothing. I know that’s what you do.” Hansol shrugged, feeling somewhat nostalgic suddenly. He was a senior this year, not much time before he had to start making choices about what he wanted to do for the rest of his life.

He’s never been the person to participate in many school activities or just activities in general. 

“Alright, I’ll come.” A cute smile spread onto his best friend’s face making Hansol smile himself. He’s always had that affect on him. 

Seungkwan pulled the younger in for a hug, “I’ll see you tonight!” He said cheerfully, ruffling Hansol’s fringe before the two bid their farewells. 

 

It had been around six in the afternoon when Hansol arrived back at the school. Different multicolored booths had been set up throughout the entire building making it look like another place. 

Kind of crowded. He thought to himself. And it was. Faces that probably should be familiar passed him as he continued to scope around the area. At one point he’s pretty sure a girl in his math class said hi to him but he wasn’t paying enough attention to actually respond. 

That was one of the many problems he had. He only ever payed attention to people that mattered to him, things that mattered to him. He didn’t look people in the eye when he interacted with them. 

Hansol was always like this; over analyzing things, critiquing his actions in his head and noting what he should change in the future. If anyone had the chance to see what was going on in his head they’d get a front row seat to a complete show.

His feet had soon led him to a booth with a short line in front of it. A film school that also showcased majors where music production was the main focus. Yep, that was Hansol’s dream alright. He wanted to go to film school so he could better himself at making short movies then he could put his own music over it. 

That’s what Seungkwan considers to be “doing nothing” but Hansol wasn’t too worked up about it. Kwan had his interests and so did he, their differences is what made them friends. 

The dark haired boy snapped out of his thoughts when he noticed that he was approaching the front of the line. 

A man with noticeable silver hair sat at the table, one of those big fake smiles plastered on his face although his seemed genuine. He was handsome in Hansol’s opinion. 

“What are you interested in kid?” He gave Hansol a look of curiosity, one that would usually make him want to crawl into a hole if he wasn’t under these circumstances. 

“Uh- Film making, definitely.” The man smiled and Hansol read his name tag.

Seungcheol. 

“You should take this pamphlet, it outlines everything that we do at the university. I can tell that you’d fit right in. You like music? You look like a music guy.” 

He hesitated, “Yeah I like to uh- take my songs and put them over my movies.” The only people that really know about what he does is Seungkwan and his parents so it’s not something could’ve came out so easily.

Seungcheol jerks his head back in a comical way. “Ah, cool man. I know a music lover when I see one. Consider us...” 

“Hansol.”

The older man grins, “Hansol.” 

Hansol says goodbye to him and slips the pamphlet in his back pocket. He makes his way to the auditorium, it being almost time for the performances to start. 

The room is filled with a good amount of people and he finds a seat somewhere in the middle before taking out his phone. 

[hansol]: wishing you good luck kwannie, you’ll do well.

[kwannie]: here you go with the sappy and periods hahahah I’ll be looking out in the crowd for you!

Hansol quietly laughed before sticking his phone back in his pocket while the lights began to dim. 

As the show went on performances wowed the audience. Seungkwan came out and sung so perfectly he got goosebumps. Hansol couldn’t help but watch in admiration, he was happy that his best friend had found something he loved. 

The dancing was entertaining to watch too as a group of four guys did a bunch of cool stuff one of them looking like they were having the time of their life.

 

After the show, Hansol waited outside the auditorium near the dressing rooms with a big hug for Seungkwan. He kind of forgot to go get flowers that he promised himself he’d get, unsurprisingly.

A crowd of participants walked out from the dressing room and he looked out for a certain bright eyed boy until he spotted him. 

“Hansol!” The older boy ran to him,  bringing him into a tight hug. “You did amazing Boo.” They released from their hug but let their arms still loosely hang  around each other as they began to walk outside to probably Hansol’s car-Seungkwan most likely stayed after school. He felt the older boy’s weight on him get heavier, “I’m sleepy.” 

Anyone that saw them would probably think that they were a couple but they weren’t. The two same aged boy just a had a close knit bond. They had promised to take care of each other, to be there for each other. 

Both of them had grew up facing personal hardships and it was only what was best. 

Once they finally got to the car, Hansol took his besfriend and slightly nudged him into the backseat. He noticed how Seungkwan looked so peaceful like that.

Hansol soon got into the car himself, starting it. He spotted some kids that looked like they were in the show but he couldn’t remember. For some reason he was jealous of the way they goofed around, big smiles swimming on their nameless faces. 

He sighed before pulling out of the parking lot and on the road. 

Hansol’s biggest fear was wasting time that was already gone.