Lovely Luck

ℒ❀✓ely ℓuⅽk

It was after school hours when a model-like man who looks as if he had just wandered off the front cover of L'officiel Homme, is grading papers in the teachers’ room. Grip in one hand is a red pen; an object his students refers to as the school’s bully. While making corrections on the math homework in front of him, he reaches for his warm cup of vanilla coffee. Right when he locks his fingers around the glass handle to bring it up to his lips, he gets propel forward by an unknown force.

Quickly, he freezes to keep his drink still and from spilling onto his student’s hard work. Before he can steadily set the cup down, a fellow teacher advances into the seat around the corner from him. The intruder smile innocently before resting his fold arms over the maroon tabletop. “Teacher Kim, wow, I knew it. That you would be here. You don’t fall short of expectations at all as the teacher of the year,” he voices playfully.

However, the mini-heart-attack from before prevents the other from finding his happy-go-lucky attitude similar to the pusher. “Coach Nam,” he begins in a serious, yet, low tone, “there was a reason I sat at the farthest table with my back turned to the door,”

The coach who clearly have no idea that he is being scolded wave his fellow worker off, “If you wanted to be alone you would have gone home, Myungsoo,”

The Math teacher, identify as Myungsoo, sigh as he drops his pen and rakes his hair back only to retort, “I thought you would be home,”

His answer stretches the other’s lips before commenting, “Ah, well I was thinking of going home early today since practice has been canceled. But, conveniently I ran into Ms. Lee from Room 6-A and she reminded me that today’s the 12th,”

Myungsoo shifts his pupils away from his unwanted seating buddy as he glimpses over to his workload - suddenly losing his desire to work, “So, Ms. Lee who has a crush on you is giving you a friendly reminder. So what?”

“Hey, you know I don’t share the same feelings as her. And what do you mean so what? You’ve worked here longer than I have. You know better what the next two days will bring,”

Though he is still very much annoyed by the latter, Coach Nam wasn’t wrong. Myungsoo knows very well. In fact, he has been marking his personal calendar book - counting down the days - preparing himself physically and emotionally for tomorrow.

Normally every month excites him and gives him anxiety all at the same time; making him breathless and feeling as if he has set foot in Heaven. However, this month is a little different; this month’s 14th marks Valentine’s Day.

It’s a no-brainer that Valentine’s Day is the birth of couples and longevity between those in love. It brings happiness, joy, and the meaning of one’s love life.

However, for the past two weeks, he has been spiritless and terrified. Afraid if he will ever find the courage to confess to the man who will be visiting the school tomorrow and on Valentine’s Day.

Spaced out, Myungsoo nearly collided into a light post, on his way home on foot, but is saved when the Coach beside him flicks his forehead. Stopped dead in his tracks, Myungsoo glance up with a hand rubbing over the growing sting. “Why did you hit me?” Myungsoo asks, surprisingly loud enough to attract stares.

The other, whose black bag was flung over one shoulder, sigh, “What’s troubling you? Can’t you see?” He gestures toward the post with his chin, “If I hadn’t wake you up, you would have walked right into it,”

Speechless Myungsoo can only pocket his thumbs as he heaves a heavy sigh, “Woohyun,” he begins, earning a hum from the Coach, “Do you think I should tell him tomorrow?”

Myungsoo studies as Woohyun’s shoulders drop and rises. Roommates of seven years, he is glad that Woohyun always listen well and take his concerns seriously, despite being such a goof. “If you can. It will be better. That way you two can officially start dating on Valentine’s Day,”

“And what if he rejects me..? Wouldn’t that make Valentine’s Day gloomy?”

Woohyun produces a smirk, “Idiot. You getting rejected wouldn’t change the weather,” he jokes, “Come on, let’s run home. I had to skip lunch because of Ms. Lee so I’m starving,” he adds before rubbing his aching, empty stomach. At his helpless state, Myungsoo rolls his eyes.

Before they continue walking, Myungsoo stops and advise, “From now on don’t skip meals. I told you already. It’s Ms. Lee to show interest in the new male teachers. Don’t let her running into you affect your health,”

Suddenly amuse at Myungsoo’s concern, the other scoffs, “Easy for you to say. You have no problem refusing dates from either men or women. I, on the other hand, cannot turn down anyone to save this and my next life. If Ms. Lee urges me to go out on Valentine’s Day, I don’t think I can say no,” Woohyun chew his bottom lip as he studies Myungsoo’s indifferent expression.

Quietly after taking in Woohyun’s words, Myungsoo realize how much of a jerk he was. To find the courage to confess to anyone knowing it’s only either a ‘yes’ or a ‘no’, Myungsoo can’t imagine how many of those men and women he has hurt in the past. Since it was easy for him to be picky. He never thought he’ll hurt them for being too straightforward. However, now that he’s in their shoes, he can’t help but become afraid.

“Hey, Kim Myungsoo,” Woohyun wave a hand in front of him, “are you dreaming again? Quickly, Myungsoo dismisses Woohyun with a shake of his head.

“Didn’t you want to run home because you’re hungry? Let’s run,”

Woohyun snorts at Myungsoo’s sudden wave of energy, “This is why I tell you not to sit indoors all day and just do math. Because when it comes to how the human body works your IQ drops. If I run now and use all of my energy, it’ll only make me hungrier. Besides if I’m tired, who’s going to make my food for me? Between the both of us, you don’t like to cook and isn’t good at it either,”

The other simply clicks his tongue in annoyance. “Here we go again. I told you a billion times that you’re no better at cooking than me. Stop bluffing or you’ll embarrass yourself one day,” quickly, Myungsoo leaves the ‘argument’ first habitually. Woohyun may be a star at sports and good with his words but the shorter can never out-walk the long-legged Kim Myungsoo. And if you can’t out-walk Myungsoo, you can’t out-talk him at the same time.

When they enter their two-room apartment on the first floor, Myungsoo hurries over to his room just left to the front door. Once he disappears behind the closed door, Woohyun heave a scoff. “Since you mocked my cooking, there’s no dinner for you, you hear!”

Myungsoo sets his bag down on his desk with a thud before falling onto his made bed back first. He props his head up with his limbs as he stares up at the ceiling; which seem to be smiling down at him.

It took him a heartbeat later to realize it was all in his head. The ceiling wasn’t smiling. He was imagining a smile. One that belongs to someone else but him. The face and name come to him instantly. Lee Sungyeol. Dr. Lee Sungyeol.

Myungsoo blushes a little before he hears Woohyun knocking his door. “Kim Myungsoo. Since you slacked off this week’s grocery shopping we only have eggs. I know what I said about dinner but do you want some scrambled eggs?”

The lying down sighs. “No, I’ll pass,”

On the other side of the door Woohyun grumble, “He insulted my cooking earlier and now he’s treating it like some test question,” he knocks once more, “if you didn’t want some you should at least say ‘thank you very much for the offer’. How dare you say ‘pass’ you jerk,” without waiting to hear more, Woohyun departs from the wooden door and vanish into the kitchen.

Now sitting up, Myungsoo ruffles his hair before leaving his bed.

At his desk, he pulls out a binder that contains his students’ work. It was heavy; just like his heart when he sees his personal calendar book open to this week’s week.

The 13th is tomorrow. There’s a math test tomorrow.

Tomorrow will also be the first day of the month he visits. He as in the one responsible for Myungsoo’s fluttering heart. He as in Lee Sungyeol. Dr. Lee Sungyeol.

Myungsoo breathes in loudly, hoping it will calm his nerves down. But it seems to have made it worse because now sweat is trickling down his forehead. He smacks himself in the face a few times. “You can’t be like this tomorrow, not in front of him,” he mumbles over and over again. Then with the same hefty heart, he tries to focus on work to keep him distracted.

Myungsoo who had never learned how to drive was waiting for the morning bus. Meanwhile, Woohyun who has no excuse as he can drive just about anything is waiting beside Myungsoo. “So, are you finally going to tell him how you feel?” The Coach’s question came out of the blue that even Myungsoo, who hasn’t had his morning coffee, became wide awake.

“Te-tell him what?”

A funny snort escape Woohyun’s nostrils,“Why play stupid? You brought it up yourself if you should confront Lee Sungyeol,” Woohyun was now sitting on the edge of the bench, with a little push and he’ll go throwing his arms and feet up, “did you forget my advice? I heard he’s a busy man. You’ll miss your first official date with him if you ask him a day later,”

His friend always makes more sense when it comes to relationships. For someone who never turns down anyone, Woohyun was great at calculating and making sure every moment spent together counts. Could it be dating experience? Myungsoo wonder.

“I...We’ll see how today turns out,” Myungsoo says, his voice losing power.

Why was the confident Myungsoo suddenly lacking what he normally knows? Self-confidence. Self-esteem. Boldness. Where are they now that he needs them?

When his first class begins, Myungsoo handed the class president a stack of packets. “If you have a calculator out, it’ll be wise to put it away now before I catch you with it,” Myungsoo warns, earning moans from all thirty students. As the class president hands out enough packets to each row, Myungsoo continue, “now any questions that don’t include me giving away an answer to one of the test questions?”

In the far corner, a pretty girl raises her hand, “Do you have a Valentine’s date tomorrow teacher?”

Myungsoo sighs, “Will my answer affect your test performance?”

“Yes!” his class, particularly the girls, roar in unison.

A smile spread across Myungsoo’s stony face, “Do well first and I’ll tell everyone later,” More groans and moans. To regroup his class, the male claps his hands together, “Okay, we’ll start now. When you’re done turn your test over. Our class president will collect it at the end of the class and bring it up to me. Then we’ll begin lessons on a new chapter—”

Before anyone can move another muscle, the speaker overhead came on and rob all of their attention, “Attention everyone. This is your Principle speaking. We’ll be having an emergency rally at the gym in about ten minutes. Everyone, all students, and staffs, please come to the gym,”

Taken aback by the surprise, Myungsoo eye his confuse students.

“Emergency rally?”

“Did something happen?”

“What happened? I’ve never heard of an emergency rally before,”

He can feel his students’ eyes on him for answers but Myungsoo is just as shock. The last time they had a similar rally was when the school’s doctor suddenly fell ill and they have to bring in a new one. Hence the start of Myungsoo’s conflicts.

So in the minute, he can’t help but become even more afraid. What if the current doctor is sick? Will Lee Sungyeol stop visiting? A quadrillion questions jog through his mind before he realizes that his seniors have already left the room.

Like the rest of the teachers, Myungsoo enters the gym second to last. Behind him, Woohyun attack him with a loose hug around the waist. “Wow, this is unheard of. Shouldn’t teachers get heads up? Isn’t your class in the middle of a test?”

Myungsoo has gotten over the fact that such gathering was sudden, instead, he is focused on the stage sitting on one end of the gym. His gaze is glue on a tall, clean and good looking man. Due to his exceptionally tall height, the long white coat he had on look short and good on him. If Woohyun were to wear it, it will fall below his kneecaps; highlighting his shortness.

The man was standing beside the older, stubbier man everyone knows as Principal Park.

“Oh, when did Lee Sungyeol get here?” Woohyun asks to no one in particular, “I waited by the front for him while my students ran laps but I didn’t see him arrive,”

Myungsoo keeps quiet, silently wishing that the man in the white coat will give him some attention. But the nameless seemed to be more interested in the students in front of him.

“Everyone settle down. I’ll like to share some good and bad news with everyone,” Principal Park says through the mic in his hand. “I promise this won’t take long since I know some classes have tests they need to get back to. But will everyone like to hear the good or bad news first?”

Together the students scream, “Good!” causing laughter among the staffs and other kids.

“Well the good news is, our favorite, Doctor Lee has been promoted at the hospital he works at,”

As expected, everyone cheered. All except Myungsoo. Promotion meant….

“And so onto the bad news, tomorrow will be Dr. Lee’s last day at the school. So I hope everyone will find the time between today and the end of tomorrow to show Dr. Lee how grateful and appreciated we are to have had him,”

Some students booed. Others clapped. But none laughed.

“Therefore we’ll be getting a new doctor. The good news is, she is Dr. Lee’s apprentice so it will still feel like he’s with us. Right everyone?”

Woohyun snickers. Before the children were fans of Lee Sungyeol, they would have been liked Principal Park more. After all, he’s a retired comedian.

“Now, Dr. Lee will give us a few words before I send everyone back to class,” the older hands the mic off to the tall man, who receive it with a grand smile.

“Hm, everyone,” the man begins, his eyes shifting about the room, “it saddens me to leave all of a sudden but since tomorrow is a special day and as I’m lucky to spend it with the rest of you. Let’s make it a happy parting. I will drop by once in a while to say hello since you’re all the coolest kids I know,” finally chuckling and approval rises in the audience, “teachers, you guys too. It’s been a pleasure working with a group of easy going people. And last but not least, I will like to thank Principal Park,” he gestures an open palm to the male standing closest to him, “his open-mindedness and funny personality made working here even easier and more comfortable. Thank you. Now, shall we give him applause?”

“Yes!” The students shout through smiles.

Though nothing but sweetness wash through the room, Myungsoo felt a bit bitter.

Lee Sungyeol has all of the teachers’ numbers in case something were to happen in or out of school to themselves or their students. But Sungyeol has never shot him or anyone else a text about the new position.

Has it been one-sided all along? Myungsoo worries.

Was the kind gestures in the past simply part of Sungyeol’s ethics?

Did he mean anything by it when he said Myungsoo look handsome every day? Myungsoo sighs.

Of course not. Besides, they rarely meet outside of the two days of the month visitation takes place. So there was no way Sungyeol was sincere when he said ‘everyday’. Even if he did mean it. He was never there to see a handsome Myungsoo every single day.

The rally has brought down Myungsoo’s mood drastically. The test-takers, his students, can tell when they eye him every now and then, though no one has the courage to break the silence and challenge their teacher.

In the teacher’s breakroom, Myungsoo goes over each test thoroughly. He was strict and inflexible with every red mark he gave. On the exterior, he appeared to be focus and at work, but on the inside, he keeps cursing out Dr. Lee.

Does wearing a long, white coat make you a quality doctor?

Is being a doctor all that matters to you?

From man to man, how can one be so cold?

Then before his mind can ramble on, a knock to the threshold stir Myungsoo up a bit. Swirling around, he is more than surprised to see the very Dr. Lee Sungyeol. “D-doctor,” he stutters. The meek smile on the tall man’s face briefly eases Myungsoo’s mild headache as he walks into the room.

“I heard from the kids that you were the only teacher who gave out a test today,”

The guest’s low, yet, attractive voice seem to have also melted Myungsoo’s temper.

“S-sorry?”

Sungyeol takes a seat next to the math teacher; dismissing that thing they call ‘personal space’. Comfortably, Sungyeol places a hand on the other’s leg, “Why would you do that? Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day, you should have been more considerate,”

Myungsoo, who is flustered by the sudden touch, became deaf to what the doctor has said. Silently, he stares down at Sungyeol’s large hand that is nearly able to fully wrap around his leg. He gulps. Even through his trousers, he can feel Sungyeol’s heat seeping through the thick cotton. And never wanting the other to pull his hand away became one of Myungsoo’s guilty pleasures, “I…,”

Before he can provide an excuse, Sungyeol readjusts his upper body to face Myungsoo. “It’s good to teach and to want to test your students' knowledge, performing and thinking skills, but too much of anything isn’t good. You don’t really hand out tests bi-weekly, right?”

Doctor or not. Crush or not. One of Myungsoo’s biggest pet-peeve is when someone criticizes his teaching style. “And I quote ‘Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough - Mark Twain’,”

Sungyeol wears a smug, “Aside from the thought that you’re a math teacher, I didn’t know someone as serious as you would touch Mark Twain’s works,”

Feeling a little cocky Myungsoo smirk, “It was inevitable during my high school years abroad,”

“Abroad? Are you implying that behind your high level of intelligence and good looks, being a fortunate icon to be able to study overseas makes you too proud of a person to be hearing from me?”

Mockery.

It is hard for Myungsoo to stand to be mock by his crush. So with a stink eye, he turns back to his workload only to pack it. “Enough. I didn’t come this far to be told off by some doctor,” His emphasizes on ‘doctor’ seem to have sit wrong with Sungyeol as the male produces a scoff.

“Teacher Kim, my intent originally wasn’t to come in here and piss you off. Since I held you in high regards, I thought I could get some things off my chest. I didn’t think you’re the type to take everything so personally,”

Myungsoo zips his bag and glare at the other, “And to think I was stupid enough to let the news of you leaving get to me, I should have known you’re not the type I should be losing sleep over!”

Before Sungyeol can get a word in, Myungsoo pushes his way out, running into Woohyun and a few other staffs. Taken by surprise, Woohyun eyes were gape, “Myungsoo, what’s wrong?” The tone of his voice nearly made Myungsoo cry, but the male holds it in and instead shakes his head.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Principal Park,” he says to the shortest of the bunch.

The elder nods, “Oh, sure. Get some rest Teacher Kim, you don’t look well,”

Once Myungsoo hurry past them Woohyun peeks into the staff room. To his surprise, Sungyeol was coming to the door. “Oh Sungyeol, you were here too? We thought you’ve left after the examination,”

The taller shakes his head, “No, I stuck around since I wanted to talk to you,”

“Oh, if that’s the case then should we find a private place?”

“No, let’s talk here. The more ears, the better,” Sungyeol suggests.

The look in Myungsoo’s eyes still bother Woohyun, but he thought he should tag around for Myungsoo’s sake. Afterall, he knows Lee Sungyeol better than anyone else and he knows what the man is capable of.

Myungsoo breathes in a cloud of fresh air as he overlooks the Han River. Despite wanting to be at peace, Sungyeol’s words play in his head like an mp3 file on repeat. And the memory of their conversation vexes him. If him adopting the style that worked for him as a high schooler, why would it be any different with the kids now? If Myungsoo could ace all of his classes then, why would his students find it difficult to achieve a high grade?

Then it hit him.

Sacrifices.

He gave up a social life and stress-relief activities to earn the title ‘top student’.

Biting his lips, he grumbles, “Maybe I should go easier on them…,” remembering his students’ smiley faces, Myungsoo decides it is no longer his position to oppress the children he cherishes so much that all he ever wanted was for them to be successful.

However, that meant he should apologize to Dr. Lee. Even if he will never see Dr. Lee’s face again, leaving on good terms will make it easier for him to move on if he needed to.

When Woohyun came home around nine that night, he brought over kimbap in a plastic black bag to share with Myungsoo at the dinner table. Myungsoo, who was in the middle of ramen, eye Woohyun carefully, “How come you’re late? Practice doesn’t usually run this late,” he points out.

Woohyun ignores his comment and instead questions, “Did you see the texts?”

Dumbfounded, Myungsoo glimpse around briefly. “Texts? I haven’t checked my phone ever since I left school ground,”

At his answer, Woohyun sighs in disbelief as he takes the chair across from the latter, “What kind of teacher goes half a day without checking his phone? What if your students needed help or something?”

“They have my email,”

A scoff, “So old school. You barely open your laptop too. Besides, don’t you know that kids these days communicate with their teachers through texts and social media?”

Myungsoo shrug helplessly, “That depends on the teachers. You know I don’t touch that stuff,”

“Is that something to be proud of? And of course I know,” Woohyun say a little too loud before adding, “that’s why you don’t anything about Lee Sungyeol,”

Myungsoo look up from the noodles trap in between his gold chopsticks, “What does that mean?”

Without waiting for him to finish, Woohyun have already reached for his phone and drew it out of his pocket. Then quickly he opens up an app before handing his phone over to Myungsoo. As Myungsoo reaches for it slowly, Woohyun began talking.

“Last year, on your birthday. March 13th, Lee Sungyeol couldn’t wish you a happy birthday in person since you called out sick. But on his social media, he wished you a happy birthday,”

Myungsoo study the selfie of Sungyeol smiling awkwardly with the caption ‘Happy Birthday my favorite teacher Myungsoo. Get well soon!’

With a deep breath, Myungsoo tosses the other’s cell back to him. “So what? Isn’t it normal to send coworkers wishes?”

“Sure it is but normally you don’t give out your birth date. You don’t even remember your birthday most of the time so how did Sungyeol know?”

Myungsoo knows that Woohyun means well but he hates the sound of Woohyun trying to set him and Dr. Lee up. As if they have a chance, to begin with. “Give up. I have work to do so—”

“Then are you going to skip tomorrow’s gathering? Dad Park says that no one can miss it unless they have a good reason to,”

Dad Park is none other than Principal Park. The one trait that Myungsoo envy about Woohyun is how easy it was for him to get along with almost everyone. Woohyun had just started working there January of that year yet he is already on first name basis and even nicknames with a handful of Myungsoo’s coworkers.

“What gathering?”

“Check your phone first,” Woohyun utters as he opens up the plastic bag to take out his dinner. When he first bought it with the thought of Myungsoo, he didn’t think he’d end up eating it alone because of the lad’s ignorance.

Teachers, if you weren’t present at today’s small meeting this is a short notice regarding tomorrow’s event after school at 6 pm. Since it will be Dr. Lee’s last day with us and it so happens to be a very special day, I encourage everyone to attend. Especially you singles. I, your boss and father, will be hosting what they call a ‘Secret Valentines’ event. Food will be provided so I ask you to come with only gift(s). If you’re new to the game like I am, it is a small party where you bring a gift(s) to the other teachers anonymously. I hope every teacher will present an item to Dr. Lee to show our appreciation towards him. If you can’t make it or has other plans with your significant other, please inform me as soon as you received this text. - Your boss and father Principal Park,

Myungsoo derides the idea of Secret Valentine. What were they? Middle-schoolers?

However, after a second later Myungsoo re-reads the text. He may not be fond of the purpose of the event, but it was key that Lee Sungyeol will be attending too. And if he wants to apologize, his options were to either visit the nurse’s office - where Sungyeol will be present during school hours - or to catch the man before or after the party. For someone who's determined to only work during school periods, the latter sounded more like a possibility.

“Fine, let’s go to this party Kim Myungsoo. Just say what you need to say and leave whether he accepts it or not,” Myungsoo says to himself, hoping to boost his confidence. “It will be the last time you get to see him anyways. So let’s apologize and move on,”

Of course, he should have known better. It may sound convincing last night, but the moment he met Sungyeol’s eyes around the corner, his body froze. His feet were glued to the ground, giving him no choice but to force a smile as Sungyeol walks over to him.

Stopping just one or two steps from him, Sungyeol smile with gentleness in his eyes. “It’s a relief you look better today Teacher Kim. Did you sleep well?”

“Sure,” Myungsoo answer though it is hardly an answer before he proceeds to add, “about yesterday..,” he trails off the moment he locked eyes with the taller. “Congratulations on getting promoted. Are you a supervisor now?”

Sungyeol hums, “One of our supervisors got promoted so they promoted me as well,”

Myungsoo nods; realizing how out of Sungyeol’s league he is. After supervisor, Sungyeol can continue to climb the ladder of his career and become a consultant. But for Myungsoo, the highest he can achieve is becoming the school’s dean.

“I see…. Well, lunch is almost over so—”

“Wait,” Sungyeol utters, “tonight’s event. Are you coming?” There is a short pause as Myungsoo ponders what answer he should give. Since he got lucky, should he use the time now to say sorry or— “I will like it if you come,” the taller’s statement silence Myungsoo’s thoughts instantly. “Will you come..?”

Looking into the other’s damp eyes, Myungsoo felt possessed. “...sure,”

Finally, the doctor smile from ear to ear, “See you later then,”


5:51 P.M..

The event was as Myungsoo had predicted. First off, it was held in the biggest classroom, the band room. With a grand, snowy white piano sitting in one corner of the room being played by none other than Ms. Lee herself. The young woman’s gazes were focused on the lean yet short back of Nam Woohyun, who was indulged by the conversation with the other two coaches.

Set in an ‘L’ were two long tables blanketed over by two bright red, long cloths. A large quantity of various - hot - food was ready to serve and then at one corner were a pile of gifts. There were small stacks of presents here and there, but the tallest and most noticeable happened to be by the food. And Myungsoo could easily guess it belonged to Sungyeol.

The wrapped and beautifully bagged items made the one in his grasp tiny in comparison. After running into Sungyeol earlier that day, Myungsoo debate whether he should show up with a gift at all. Luckily on his way home, a vendor was selling carnations in front of his neighborhood; after much troubles, he finally purchased one.

Myungsoo have received hundreds of flowers but he has never bought one for himself or anyone else. So he hardly understands the value of it. However, since only those who claimed to have liked him presented flowers to him, Myungsoo suppose it was worth something.

“Myungsoo,” Quickly, he hides the plant as Woohyun gestures for him to join them. “Finally you’re here. I told you to leave around the same time as me. You insist on being slow and got caught during rush hour didn’t you?” Woohyun wraps an arm around Myungsoo’s shoulder as he smiles to the other staffs. “Teacher Kim is seriously stubborn,” he comments, earning nods and chuckles from the others.

“Don’t you think the announcement was too sudden Teacher Kim? As the only teacher who wasn’t at yesterday’s meeting did you bring okay gifts?” Coach Lee asks.

“I managed to bring one okay gift,” Myungsoo answers sternly - he never got along with Coach Lee; the older was thoughtless for his age.

“Only one? Well, then you should get back out there and do some more shopping. Don’t tell me you’re broke already? After that bonus for being teacher of the year?”

Before the scene can escalate, Woohyun steps in promptly, his hands gripping onto Myungsoo’s shoulder firmly, “Didn’t we agree at the meeting that not everyone was inclined to bring every staff a gift, Coach Lee?”

The older clears his throat, “Still. Since he got that bonus, it was only right for him to be generous. After all, isn’t it us who voted for him?”

“Did you voted for Teacher Kim too?” this time a new yet familiar voice joins them, causing a moment of silence. All of a sudden, Myungsoo is sandwiched between Nam Woohyun and Lee Sungyeol.

“You mean you voted for Teacher Kim?” Coach Bae asks; her feminine voice sounding rougher than usual. It was clear that she is both bitter and jealous about it.

Sungyeol hums, “Of course. Anyone with good eyes would have voted for Teacher Kim. Am I right?”

Myungsoo hated the moment. Being the center of any talk bugs him.

“Everyone, can I get your attention,” the stormy yet friendly voice draws each individual’s attention toward the front immediately, where they notice Principal Park. His hands grasped together and he wore a non-mimical smile. “I wanted to thank everyone who made it. I may be your boss but seeing everyone talking and smiling together make me feel like I’m just hanging out with my friends. Let’s have fun and tonight please treat me as your friend and not the man in charge of your paychecks, okay?”

Cheers and woos fill the room temporary before Park continue, “In about ten minutes, we’ll begin the Valentines event. If you just came in, as I’ve promised there is food up here. Help yourselves, some of you new teachers don’t be embarrassed. It’s our motto here at Infinite High that if we leave with leftovers, I’ll scold everyone for every rice and every drop of water abandoned,”-chuckles-”so treat this as an ‘all you can eat buffet’. I bought more than enough for everyone to have three or four meals. If you’re not full, you’re not leaving, everyone hears?”

Myungsoo winches when the room roar in agreement.

And to think how wild his coworkers can be. He should have known or have gotten used to it these past few years.

While every being in the room is distracted, From one side, a sudden tug of the flower behind his back surprised him.

When he turns about, he is greeted by a curious Sungyeol. “Why is this here? This one looks exactly like the one Woohyun put with the rest of my gifts,” with a tilt of his head, Sungyeol raises his gaze to match Myungsoo’s level, “did he buy one for you too?”

Speechless, Myungsoo wasn’t sure what to say let alone think.

As a friend who is aware of Myungsoo’s feelings toward the doctor. Why would Woohyun give Sungyeol a red carnation?

“Teacher Kim—”

“Teacher Kim, a speech please!” Park shouts across from the room. Now, with all eyes on him, Myungsoo feels small. Just as miniature as the flower taken from him. “Our deserving teacher of the year, Kim Myungsoo. Will you come up here and give us a speech, please,”

Oddly enough, the look alone on Sungyeol’s face made Myungsoo want to hide; he appeared to be hurt and disappointed. But with the sudden peer pressure, Myungsoo just wants time to stop. Without a word, Myungsoo removes himself away from Woohyun’s side, Sungyeol’s front, and everyone’s presence.


His heart is beating so fast and hard that he thought it’ll break his rib cage at any given moment. Catching his breath at the public park’s fountain, Myungsoo looks at his reflection in the rippling surface. He felt like crying.

His pride was hurt. For years, he worked so hard to achieve the title ‘teacher of the year’ believing it was his first step to success. On his path there, he rejects potential love interests, relationships, and even marriage. He even ceases the idea of making new friends when he can just keep working and holding onto the one he has now.

Nam Woohyun.

Did Woohyun like Sungyeol too?

It was suspicious how they both addressed one another on first name basis despite Woohyun’s friendly personality. If Myungsoo did his math correctly, Woohyun and Sungyeol has only met about a dozen time. There was no way they could have gotten so close in that short amount of time. Unless - the ringing of Myungsoo’s cell pull him away from his train of thoughts and lure his hands into his pocket. Once he fishes out the screaming object to check the caller ID. He isn't surprised to see Woohyun’s number - by now, his friend should notice his absence.

Myungsoo let it ring. Not because he likes his default buzzing ringtone nor because he didn’t want to hear Woohyun’s voice. The silence was just better and ideal.

However, once the call ended, his phone lit up again. This time it isn’t his housemate. But someone he wanted to avoid.

‘Lee Sungyeol’ flashes on his dim screen.

Knowing tonight marks their last day together and that there will never be another chance for them to meet again, Myungsoo knew he will regret letting the call end. Yet, he stubbornly did not reach for the green icon. And when his black went dead, he thought that was it.


Striding home on foot, Myungsoo arrives at the front door at exactly ten. When he hears his name being called from behind - like a zombie - he pivots around slowly. The second his gaze lay upon the duo standing before him, Myungsoo was more than shocked.

In front of him, Woohyun smiled innocently. “What took you so long? We’ve been waiting here since six-thirty,”

Six-thirty? Then, did they ditch the gathering because of him?

“I think you’ve misunderstood some things but I’ll let Sungyeol here fill you in. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to bed,” Woohyun jogs towards and pass Myungsoo as he helps himself inside; leaving them alone.

As the door closes between them, Myungsoo didn’t move a single muscle and instead let Sungyeol get closer to him and take his hands. At first, Myungsoo flinches at the other’s frozen hands but once their eyes met, he is suddenly drowned in warmth.

“Teacher Kim—” there is a pause as Sungyeol takes a deep breath before correcting himself, “Myungsoo. I...Earlier I didn’t mean to be insensitive. You’ve told me before that he’s your closest friend but I, I was afraid there was something else I wasn’t aware of. Woohyun have told me many times that he only sees you as a friend and that even if he wanted to get with you, you’ll reject him since you like,” the small frown on Myungsoo’s face brings him to a stop. Did he say something wrong? Should he continue?

“I like? Who do I like?”

Unlike the quizzical brows, Myungsoo’s gentle voice gave Sungyeol the confidence to finish. “Me,”

This time Myungsoo retract his hands from between Sungyeol’s to grab hold of them. “I do...or did. Until I realize how different our future are—”

“Some things in our future will be different. That’s a given. But if, if you reject me our future will be more than different. We won’t have one another. We won’t be able to look forward to seeing each other every day,”

And here Myungsoo thought, he is the one who had to worry about getting rejected.

It’s clear that he had wanted more than two days a month to see the latter. But like a dream come true and one of the offers he has been wishing for is being presented to him, Myungsoo can’t help but….

“I’m a strong non-believer of coincidences,” he smiles, “I always thought it was luck and fate that brought us together,”

“So, will you be my Valentine and go out with me?”

Myungsoo nods with a smile that would melt away all of Sungyeol’s worries and troubles, “Yes, yes I will be your Valentine, Dr. Lee,”


Listening on the other side of the door Woohyun snickers to himself. “Finally he agrees. And here I was, worried about what kind of good man will take my dumb ex of a prideful doctor,”

In Woohyun’s hand is the single carnation he has set on top of Sungyeol’s pile of gifts. After seeing a hesitant Myungsoo pacing in front of the flower stall, leaving and coming empty handed, Woohyun decided to buy a flower for his sake. Who knew the two closet lovebirds would have seen his effort and intention in any other way than to help them out? He sighs.

Then with one hand, he takes out his phone to see a text from Ms. Lee. “Will you be my Valentine Coach?” He sighs once more. Will he become the ex of all ‘Lee’s’ or what?

“Always,” he texts back. Then with the flower in his hand, he holds it up to his nose before taking in the scent. It was breath-taking. And like his friend and ex, he was ready for a new love story of his own.