One

The Bum Hunt

Bum hunting is famous in the city. At some point in time, 1004 Company, one of the biggest and richest company in the city announced that those who capture a bum will be given 2500 a head. 

"The world is a dangerous place where dirty bums roam around and we plan to sanitize them one at a time."

The news scattered like rapid fire and people in the city going around hunting bums, capture them whether they dead or alive and send them to 1004 Corporation for the reward. 

This frightened the bums so they tried to hide themselves in the shadow or run away from the city. But other than that they couldn't do much and just pray for their lives as they were captured one by one.

Wonwoo is one of them, though he didn't remember how and why he became a bum. All he knew, he woke up one day and somehow doesn't remember anything except his name. He wears a baggy cloth and there's not a cent on him. People around him look the same as him so he assumed he was one of them.

There's a man beside him when he woke up. That man is his one and only friend now. His name is Minghao. He asks Minghao what had happened to him, but the man has no clue either. 

"I was trying to find a place to sleep when I found you lying down here. I thought you were dead because there's blood all over you." He explained.

Because of memory loss, Wonwoo had no idea what's happening around him so Minghao leisurely explained everything to him.

"So there are people after us right now? because we are dirty bums that brings danger to the world?" 

Minghao nodded. "Yeah."

Wonwoo thought this is absurd. "Why the hell they think bums are dangerous? They can't even do anything except staring and begging for god sake." He surprised he knew all that despite not remember anything. What has happened to him? Why he can't remember anything at all? How come he can remember his own name instead?

"They? You mean we. Well, that's how it is now. You can't do anything about it sadly. Let's just try our best to survive because I don't want to die no matter how bad the situation is." Minghao stated.

Yes, definitely. Wonwoo doesn't want to die especially when he doesn't even how he end up in that state. He has a lot of questions unanswered and dead is not the answer. So he should try his best to not get capture and follow every step Minghao take, hoping that one day he could find the answers.

ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ

"Now I understand why they call us dangerous." 

Currently, both of them are in a convenience store located at a small part in the city to steal something. Mostly foods and drinks.

"Shh~ she will hear us." Minghao put his finger on his lips. Wonwoo rolled his eyes. 

Part time thieves. That's what they have become now after successfully stole things, mostly foods and drinks from various stores in the city. They went from one store to another in every two days and somehow managed to escape every single one of it. Hell, they even stole new clothes so they could look like a normal citizen.

"There's nothing dangerous about this okay? We're just getting some foods. It's not like we're going to hurt someone." Minghao said while looking for what he want to steal.

Wonwoo was the one in charge on the look out so he keeps glancing at the owner of the store who looks like a middle-aged woman. She was sitting behind the counter and holding a newspaper that covered half of her face as she focused on reading it.

"I think we're good to go." Wonwoo whispered.

"Yeah?" Minghao took one bottle of water and a few small snacks and stuff it in his jacket. "Then let's go." 

Both of them casually walked towards the front door, looking around like they're trying to find something. 

"I don't feel like to buy anything."  Wonwoo said a little louder so that the woman could hear him. He noticed the woman took a peek on them once they out of the store.

"Have a nice day."  She said before going back to read the newspaper. 

After that, both them hurried their way out of the way and disappear in the dark.

ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ

After 30 minutes of parkouring, they finally arrived at the Shelter, a place where the surviving bums are currently hiding. The Shelter is an abandoned pub located surprisingly in the middle of the city, hidden well in between the buildings. It looks small on the outside, but there's a secret door at the back that leads to a big basement and that's where the bums live. The door is so small that they have to crouch to get in.

"Alright, we are safe now." Said Minghao, closing the door behind him.

Wonwoo pulled a lighter from his pocket and was about to light up a candle when he realized something.

"Dude, I forgot the candle. We supposed to get it (steal it) on the way back." Wonwoo light up the short life candle and stared at it pitifully. They have no electricity in the basement so candles are the only source of light.

Minghao groaned. "Are you joking? So we are going to live in the dark for two days?"

"Unless you want to sacrifice yourself and go out to get it?" Wonwoo suggested, knowing well that Minghao isn't dare to do it.

"Hell no! Do you hear that some of the hunters begin to linger around here. I don't want to kill myself."

Wonwoo chuckled. "Let just hope that the others have a longer candle so we can save up."

After that they went down the stairs and to their disappointment, the Shelter residents also have short candles and each run out one after another.

"Come on you can do it. You are the only hope." Minghao said to the last standing candle. The rest of the bums also gathered up around it.

"You can't save it." Wonwoo already gave up on it.

"No!"

The last fire finally ceases and the darkness surrounds them. Everyone is quiet. No one is moving. Minghao heard a sob. Wonwoo heard it too. One of them is crying.

"Why do we have to live like this?" The crying one said. It's a girl and she had enough. The only light has extinguish and the dark rules over. That's how their lives have been going on.

A few years ago, they all used live well even though they have to beg or find food in a rubbish can. Suddenly they were threatened, beat up and hunt down for money. If they suffer from the life before, now it gets worse. They only want to live, but why they have to face this? What did they do to deserve this? Is their dirty existence a sin after all? Did they don't deserve to exist like those people said? They survive now, but surely they are going to die one after another just like the candles.

It's a sorrowful moment for them. The crying sound like a sad song playing in the background that add up much worse feeling in them. It's almost suffocating. But despite all that, there's a tinge of hope inside them. Like a small fire that still on after the flame runs out and Wonwoo can feel that somehow.

 

These guys are still fighting in their own way. They never stop even once. Because there's hope.
 

That's why before the hope dies, he needs to do something. So he  stood and carefully walked towards the door.

"Where are going?" Minghao noticed Wonwoo movement in the dark. Its caught every one's attention.

"To find a candle. What else?" Wonwoo managed to say before making his way out.

"Wait, it's dangerous. I'll come with you." Minghao said, chasing after him. He threw all snacks he stole to the bums and said, "You guys stayed close to each other and wait for us. We will come back."

ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ

Wonwoo and Minghao ran as fast as they can after getting a box of candle. The owner of the store noticed them stealing so he chases after them and calls for help. A bum hunter that happens to be near by, heard it and started to chase after them.

"We are screwed." Minghao was in his panic mood, but there's a smile on his face. That's because for some reason he loves being chase down. The thrill and satisfaction he felt when they escape are amazing.

"No. That guy is slow we will get away." Wonwoo said while looking behind. The store owner is nowhere in sight. "See?"

They both rest a bit in a dark alley to catch their breath. They aren't running that fast, but with their parkour skill, they managed to stealthily escape.

"Aw. That's disappointing. I thought they were better than that" Minghao laughed. Wonwoo smiled, too tired to say anything.

"Well, he's a newbie. I say you challenge a more pro hunter like me and you won't be disappointed."

Minghao look at Wonwoo and the other did the same. Both of them definitely didn't say that. Then they realized they are not alone. Wonwoo scanned the surrounding before his eyes fell on a silhouette of a tall man holding what he assumed a baseball bat and leaning on a wall not far from them.

"So?" The tall mam started to walk closer. Wonwoo waste no time anymore.

"Minghao run!"

Both of them scrambled their way from there and slipped past few building. Wonwoo had no idea where to go and just follows behind Minghao. They can't go back to the Shelter yet, or the hunter will know where the others are so they just run away with no destination, hoping they could shake off the hunter, but after a few minutes the hunter is still on their tails and they are exhausted.

"Wonwoo." Minghao suddenly stopped. "Go back to the Shelter. I will distract him."

"What?! No way! You are coming with me."

"Wonwoo! I know what to do. Just go!" Minghao pushed him and ran to the opposite direction. Wonwoo had no choice, but hoping Minghao knows what he's doing.

After an hour of running and jumping, he finally arrived at the Shelter. There's no sign of Minghao so he's still on the run. He has to hurry and give the candle to the others before looking after Minghao, but when he was about to open the door, something hit him hard at the back of his head.

"Ack!" Wonwoo fell on the ground while holding his neck. It hurts like hell and his vision starts to blur. His mind is getting dizzy, but he still could hear a voice.

"Oh. What is this? A secret door? No wonder no one find you guys. That sneaky." 

He watched as the tall man pushed the door open and at that time,

"No!" he tried to prevent the man from going in by grabbing one of his legs. The man chuckled.

"Just give up." The man swung his bat and hit him one last time before the world turned black.

ㅇㅇㅇ