Final

Countdown

A young woman with long brown hair was led into a room with a chair and a table. The man that had been leading her told her to take a seat while she waited. When the man left the room the young woman took a seat on the chair and looked at the magazines that was scattered across the table beside it. A ticking noise was coming from a clock that hung on the wall above the door in the room and the woman looked up at the clock and watched as the time continued to pass.

 

A few minutes later the man that had led the woman into the room came back and motioned for her to follow him and she stood up and the man started showing the way through the hallways in the building.

 

"You have 20 minutes on you. Don't waste a single second, it can be you biggest regret later on." The man told the woman. She looked at him a bit shocked.

 

The man stopped outside a door and turned towards the younger woman. The woman now had a stressed expression on her face as he eyed her. He let out a sigh and took out a pair of keys from his pocket.

 

"Remember 20 minutes, okay?" He said and put the key in the keyhole. The young woman nodded her head and felt her heart beat irregular fast. She tighten the hold on the strap of her bag as the man turned the key and the door unlocked.

 

The man turned towards the younger woman and saw her determined expression and he opened the door for the woman. She took a deep breath and stepped into the room. Once inside the room she felt the door behind her close and heard in getting locked. The room she had been brought into was pitch black and she looked around trying to see something or hear something. She could feel the presence of another person in the room but she wasn't sure when she couldn't see.

 

"Hello?" The woman called out in the room.

 

A digital clock on the wall right across her started shining. Seeing the numbers from 20 minutes going down she knew the countdown had begun and she frantically looked around the room hoping the other person in the room was the person she was looking for.

 

"Minkyung?" The young woman called out.

 

Now she heard movements in the dark room. The movements came from a corner in the room and she turned towards it with hopeful eyes. A shadow was observing her and she felt her heart sink in disappointment when it didn't seem to be the person she looked for.

 

"Yebin? Is that you?" A familiar voice called out and a light was in the room and revealed the true person of the shadow. Yebin shone up when she saw it was the person she was looking for.

 

"Minkyung!" Yebin called out in happiness and dropped her bag on the floor and ran up to the person that was standing in a corner and embraced her. Minkyung hugged the girl back, feeling happy to see her but also sad. Minkyung broke the hug and eyed Yebin that stared at her with lovingly eyes.

 

"You're beautiful as always." Minkyung complimented and a small blush appeared on Yebin's cheeks. "Please take a seat." Minkyung offered and pointed to a chair beside her. Yebin took a seat on the chair and watched as Minkyung took a seat on the bed that was opposite the chair. When both of them were seated Yebin held Minkyung's hand and intertwined their fingers.

 

"Minkyung why did you-" Yebin began but Minkyung held her finger over Yebin's lips to stop her from talking. Yebin looked at her with questioning eyes.

 

"We don't have so much time left, lets not waste it on that kind of discussion." Minkyung said and pointed up at the wall. Yebin looked up at the wall where the digital clock was showing the countdown of the time. They had 18 minutes left. Yebin felt her heart beat faster in panic and she looked back at Minkyung that looked at her with calm eyes.

 

"Don't panic, we will have time." Minkyung said and grabbed Yebin's other hand and intertwined their fingers. Yebin looked down at their hands and tried to calm down by taking deep breaths.

 

"Hey, may I see your pretty eyes these last minutes?" Minkyung asked gently and tried to look Yebin in the eyes. Yebin slowly tilted her head up and looked into Minkyung's brown orbs. The eyes she had always been able to lost herself in, a pair of eyes she loved to look back at.

 

When Yebin finally was looking directly at Minkyung, Minkyung flashed the girl a gentle smile and Yebin couldn't help but smile as well. The warm and fuzzy feeling she always got when she saw that smile spread in her body like it always had done.

 

"I love you, I'll always do." Minkyung said still with her warm smile.

 

"Minkyung." Yebin mumbled and lowered her gaze towards their hands again. She felt a pair of lips plant a kiss on her forehead before she felt Minkyung lean against it with her forehead.

 

"I won't force you to always love me when I'm not even here. I want you to be happy no matter what." Minkyung mumbled and closed her eyes.

 

"Do you think I'll do that when you're not here anymore?" Yebin asked.

 

She heard Minkyung sigh and the girl opened her eyes and Yebin met her eyes. "It will take time I know. But don't stop yourself from loving someone else, okay?" Minkyung said and looked intently in Yebin's eyes.

 

Yebin closed her eyes and opened them again. "I'll still love you."

 

A smile formed on Minkyung's lips and she released her hands from Yebin and instead wrapped her arms around Yebin's body and brought the other girl down with her on the bed. Yebin got surprised when she suddenly found herself on top of Minkyung with Minkyung's arms securely wrapped around her waist.

 

"Keep my love deep inside your heart and don't let it come in the way of your life then." Minkyung said and kissed Yebin directly on the lips. A small blush appeared once again on Yebin's cheeks and she looked away from Minkyung's eyes.

 

"I love you Minkyung." Yebin mumbled and leaned her head on Minkyung's chest.

 

"I know. But let’s not talk about things we know, I want to hear what plans you have for the future." Minkyung said and one hand through Yebin's hair.

 

"I... don't have any plans." Yebin shyly confessed. She started making invincible patterns on Minkyung's shoulder with her finger. She looked shyly up at Minkyung's face and noticed Minkyung was looking at her.

 

"You had a lot of plans before, what happened to them?" Minkyung asked and continued to Yebin's hair. Yebin clutched at Minkyung's shirt and bit her bottom lip.

 

"I canceled them when I heard about you..." Yebin mumbled. She felt Minkyung's hand stopping her hair, the hand placed itself on top of the other hand that was placed on top of Yebin's back.

 

"I'm sorry." Minkyung apologized with a sad voice. Yebin looked up surprised at Minkyung. "I'm sorry I'm the cause of you canceling your future plans, it wasn't my intention."

 

"I just thought that doing everything I had planned without you wouldn't be the same. It's not fully your fault." Yebin said and her hand over Minkyung's cheek. She stopped in the middle of her action and took a clearer look at Minkyung's face. It looked paler than before.

 

Yebin's eyes widened and she looked up at the time on the wall and saw it was ten minutes left. She looked back at Minkyung with a panic stricken expression.

 

"How much time is it left?" Minkyung asked when she saw the panic in Yebin's eyes.

 

"Ten minutes." Yebin mumbled.

 

Minkyung smiled and let out a small chuckle. "No wonder it got harder to breath." Minkyung confessed.

 

Yebin slid off Minkyung and sat up beside the girl instead when she heard of Minkyung's condition. Minkyung looked at her with questioning eyes but just got a angry glare in return.

 

"Why didn't you say it earlier so I could've gotten off you? Do you think it will be easier to breath with weight on top of you?" Yebin scolded.

 

"Ssh." Minkyung said and wrapped her arms around Yebin's waist and brought the girl closer. "Don't be angry. I just wanted to feel your warmth." Minkyung said and placed her head on top of Yebin's thigh. The other girl could just sigh and started her fingers through Minkyung's hair.

 

"I just wanted to spend the last minutes with you like we usually do." Minkyung mumbled. Yebin smiled a weak smile and continued to her fingers through Minkyung's hair.

 

"Talk, tell me about work. Is it good?" Minkyung said and Yebin could hear Minkyung's voice getting weaker.

 

Yebin's stopped her fingers through Minkyung's hair and placed it on Minkyung's back. She felt the arms that held her around her waist had gotten colder and she looked down at Minkyung's face that were pale as a sheet of paper now. She felt panic grow inside of her again.

 

"Work? It's like usual. Eunwoo orders me around like always, Kyulkyung complains about me being so lazy and Nayoung slaps me to make sure I do my work." Yebin said and tried to remember what she had done at work.

 

Minkyung chuckled but it ended with a cough. Yebin looked worried at Minkyung and began Minkyung's back when the girl had stopped coughing. Minkyung let out a exhausted sigh.

 

"Keep talking. I wanna hear more" Minkyung said weakly and tried to turn her head to look at Yebin. Yebin looked at the girl that had gotten weaker for the each passing second. When their eyes met Minkyung flashed her a tired smile.

 

"What do you want me to talk about?" Yebin asked and looked up at the clock to see the remaining time. Seeing it was only 5 minutes left Yebin looked down at Minkyung again.

 

"Anything." Minkyung said and closed her eyes.

 

Yebin let out a sigh and tried to figure out what she should talk about. She remembered Minkyung's wish that she wanted them to spend the remaining time like they usually did and tried to remember what they usually talked about.

 

"Kyulkyung and Nayoung went to see a movie the other day. The Greatest Showman I think it was called. They said it was really good and she suggested I should watch it, but I don't wanna go alone." Yebin said and looked down at Minkyung and saw a satisfied smile had plastered across Minkyung's lips.

 

00:04:30

 

"Kyulkyung said I can take Eunwoo or Kyungwon with me and watch it but I'm afraid I got to pay for their snacks and drinks. It's never cheap to go out with them! I'll waste all my money!"

 

00:04:00

 

"Yewon and Kyungwon recommended me this restaurant they went to. They said they had really delicious pasta and ice cream, but I don't remember the name of the restaurant or where it is! I should ask them again and write it down. Or Kyungwon can take me there and pay for my food, she owe me after I paid for her and Yewon's lunch that one time, do you remember?" Yebin received a weak nod from Minkyung.

 

00:03:00

 

"Siyeon has started to date that Eunwoo guy. Can you believe it? It felt like yesterday she was running after me and asking me to play with her, she's started to grow up. Time flies by so quickly. I hope Eunwoo treat her well, otherwise he will catch these hands!" Yebin heard a weak chuckle from Minkyung and she smiled a little.

 

00:02:30

 

"I saw a beautiful dress in that clothe shop you showed me. I was thinking of buying it but it was so expensive! I could buy two pair of jeans with that money. But it was so beautiful and it was only one left. I tried it on and took a picture but I don't have my phone with me so I can't show it to you."

 

"Anything you wear looks good on you." Minkyung whispered weakly. Yebin smiled and wrapped her arms around Minkyung's now cold body.

 

00:01:30

 

"Time flies by so quick. It felt like yesterday I first met you but it's already four years ago! I wish time could go a bit slower." Yebin leaned her back against the wall behind her and tighten her hold on Minkyung.

 

00:01:00

 

Yebin looked up at the clock. Her heart pounding faster when she saw the remaining time left, she looked down at Minkyung and tried to come up with something else to say but nothing come to her mind. She bit her lower lip and searched around the room to get some inspiration to talk about something but got none.

 

00:00:45

 

Minkyung opened her eyes and looked at Yebin when the girl had stopped talking. When she saw the girl's panicked expression she tried to smile in hope of that Yebin would calm down.

 

"Ran out of things to say?" Minkyung asked weakly and closed her eyes again. Yebin looked at Minkyung with sorrowful eyes.

 

"I'm sorry." Yebin mumbled and Minkyung's cheek.

 

"It's okay. Isn't it funny that when you want to say something you come up with nothing but when you don't need to say anything you come up with a lot of things?" Yebin nodded her head and felt Minkyung's arms that held her around her waist losing their grip.

 

00:00:30

 

The room filled with the sound of the two girls breathing. Yebin still tried to come up with something to say and Minkyung tried to keep her spirit up the last remaining seconds. Yebin looked up at the clock and cursed time for going so fast.

 

"Yebin." Minkyung said with a raspy and weak voice.

 

Yebin looked down at the girl that had called her name. She saw Minkyung tried to open her eyes but was currently too weak to make any movements, she noticed that Minkyung's breathing had gotten a lot weaker.

 

00:00:15

 

"I've always loved you with all my heart. I'm sorry if I ever hurt you." Minkyung whispered. She had given up of trying to take a last glimpse of Yebin. Yebin noticed the time was running out and seeing Minkyung in this weak condition made her sad so she held on tighter to Minkyung like it would give them more time together.

 

00:00:09

 

"Thank you..."

 

00:00:06

 

"...for your.."

 

00:00:03

 

"...everlasting love."

 

00:00:00

 

The last word came out almost inaudible but Yebin could still catch it. She felt the girl in her arms had stopped breathing and she slowly looked down on the now lifeless body, Minkyung looked like she had just fallen asleep. Yebin looked up at the clock on the wall and saw all the zeros blinking, showing the time had ran out. Minkyung's life time was over.

 

Yebin hugged Minkyung's body closer and placed her chin at the crown of Minkyung's head and finally let the tears she had held in fall down. A click was heard from the door of the room and it opened and two men in white coats came in. Yebin looked at them but didn't made any sign that she would move or let go of the girl in her arms very soon.


 

---

 

2 months ago

 

"Your girlfriend signed a contract a long time ago about taking part in an experiment we would do. The process took place yesterday." Yebin stared at the man that sat across her in the kitchen of her apartment she lived in with Minkyung. She nodded telling the man to go on with his story.

 

"Something went wrong during the experiment. Minkyung together with the rest of the participants got infected by a virus. The virus do not have a cure and is very contagious. Therefore we have to keep her isolated from other people."

 

Yebin stared at the man. He had been a friend of Minkyung since god knows when, Yebin thought it was sad he had to tell her these news about her girlfriend. She swallowed the knot that had formed in and looked down at her hands that was clasped together in front of her.

 

"Will she die?" Yebin asked and kept her eyes on her hands.

 

Silence filled between them. When Yebin didn't get an answer she looked up at the man in front of her and saw his sad eyes. "How long does she has left?"

 

"Two months." The man said and looked down at the table surface. Yebin looked at him, she could see he was also sad because of this. His slumped shoulder told her he would rather not have let his friend gone through this.

 

"Will you keep her isolated for two months?"

 

"Yes, but they told me the last 20 minutes of her life the virus won't be contagious anymore. You can visit her then."

 

"I can't visit her now?"

 

"No, no one except for the people that is in charge of taking care of the infected people may see them. I'm sorry."

 

Yebin looked down at her hands. She closed her eyes and let the information sink in. She wouldn't be able to see Minkyung until the last 20 minutes of her life, is that really right?

 

"I brought a clock with me. It counts down to the time when you'll be able to meet Minkyung again, you can have it if you want." The man said and placed a digital clock in the middle of the table. Yebin looked up at the clock and saw it count down second by second.

 

It was currently 60 days, 9 hours, 30 minutes and 22 seconds left until she would be able to meet Minkyung for the last time in her life.

 

"Is the countdown of my love's life really something I want to see everyday?" Yebin asked herself. The man looked at Yebin and noticed the tears that had started streaming down Yebin's cheeks.

 

"Minkyung wanted you to keep track of the time. She wanted you there the last minutes of her life, even if it was just for a second." The man said.

 

Yebin brought the clock closer to her and started sobbing. The sound of Yebin's sobbing filled the silent kitchen and the man couldn't do anything but watch. He only had been told by Minkyung that he would give Yebin the clock. She told him to save his comforting words for her funeral.

 

"Minkyung's an idiot for signing the contract." Yebin sobbed and buried her face into her arm.

 

The man across her stood up from his chair and placed a hand on Yebin's back and looked at her with apologizing eyes. "I'm sorry." He mumbled and left the girl in the kitchen with the time she had left until she would meet her girlfriend for the last time.