You put the ring where?

Of Engagements and Sweet Potatoes

A/N: Hi, so I’m actually a huge Yoonhyun shipper, so much that I don’t really ship them with others and they are a definite otp of mine. I never wrote anything that had them as the main pair, just side pair things. So I don’t know how well this will turn out. But, if anyone happens to read this at all. I hope it’s enjoyed.


 

Im Yoona, has been with girlfriend Seo Juhyun, or Seohyun as she is often referred to, a long time. She had crushed so obviously hard on the slightly younger, studious girl that it was painful for her friends to watch her be so pathetic. Juhyun was no easy girl to impress either. She was so smart, focused, and didn’t seem to want to date anyone. Yoona had tried everything back then, sending her flowers, writing her cute and silly notes, gifting her with plushies. None of that stuff seemed to work on Juhyun though. Not until Yoona settled down with the elaborate gestures and took notice to smaller things.

 

Juhyun was a definite eco friendly person, as even in HS she was concerned about the earth. Which, was why Yoona took to writing her cute notes on eco friendly paper. The girl loved sweet potatoes, like weirdly so as far as Yoona was concerned. But, she knew a way to anyone’s stomach is food. That was how she made sure to offer her sweet potatoes every chance she had. Juhyun really responded well to the potatoes. And, another thing was the only plushie Seohyun actually loved was Keroro. Once Yoona knew that she made sure to give her crush any Keroro she could get her hands on. Still, though Juhyun didn’t right away accept her confessions.

 

It took for Yoona to be drunk out of her mind before Juhyun finally decided to give her a chance.

 

(Flashback)

 

Yoona, was 20 and fresh from a college party. She knows she has a low tolerance level, but needed to get out and have fun. She needed to forget about her unrequited love for Seo Juhyun, only it’s pretty dark outside. And she is stumbling all over the place.

 

“Damn, should have gotten a ride with Sooyoung-unnie.” She thinks, and is just about to fall to the ground. When someone reaches out to grab her. The person has a soft, but firm grip on her arm.

 

“Yoona-unnie, what are you doing? You shouldn’t be walking around like this.”

 

The deer-like girl pauses when she hears that voice. It sounds like Juhyun, but she can’t be sure.

 

“Hyunnie?”

 

“Yes, come sit.” She leads the slightly older girl over to a nearby bench. She pulls out a bottle of water right away and helps her to drink.

 

“This tastes like water.” Yoona complains.

 

Juhyun rolls her eyes, trying her best to remember this poor soul is drunk off her .

 

“It is water unnie. And why did you get so drunk?”

 

“I’m not drunk!” She declares loudly.

 

“Yeah, and I want a cheeseburger right now.”

 

“You do! Hyunnie, that’s so great. We can eat lots of bad food together now.”

 

Juhyun sighs. She’ll have to help the girl get home. She can’t very well leave her out here alone.

 

“No, I’m going to help you get home. Can, you stand with me?” Once Juhyun has her standing she places her arms around her shoulder for support.

 

“Hyunnie, how’d you know I was here?”

 

“Taeyeon-unnie told me that you were here.”

 

“You came for me?” Yoona whispers in awe.

 

“I did, I was worried about you.”

 

“Oh, that’s nice. Even though I really wished that you liked me back.”

 

Juhyun blinks, and turns the deer-like girl’s face to her own. She feels bad if Yoona was out here drinking, because she thinks she doesn’t like her. It’s not that she doesn’t like Yoona. She does like her, she’s cute, funny, and treats her like the most important girl in the world.

 

“Yoona-unnie, it’s not that I don’t like you. You’re sweet, funny, and….”

 

“You like me! Wow, this is the best day ever. Seohyunnie….”

 

“Yes, unnie?”

 

“I’m going to be sick!”

 

“Yah, wait don’t throw up on…..”

 

It’s too late though as Yoona ends up throwing up on the younger girls shoes. Well, at least it was the shoes and not anywhere else.

 

“Me.” Juhyun finishes with a frustrated sigh.

 

(End)
 

 

Yoona thought for sure she had screwed that up big time. Only, Juhyun ended up accepting the confession. And they have been dating exclusively for the past 7 years. Yoona, is finally ready to try to propose again. The other 3 times had ended in either disaster or some miscommunication. Juhyun is a doctor and she is an in demand actress. Their schedules often conflict. One time when she tried to propose in Paris, she planned the trip way in advance. Only there was some huge last minute medical emergency that put an end to that. Another time, their mutual friend Sunny and Taeyeon got engaged on the same evening Yoona tried to propose to Juhyun.

 

Yoona knows her unnies had no idea she was going to surprise Juhyun. Even though, she was at the time pissed because she couldn’t propose and possibly upstage her unnies. No matter, she has it all planned out. She will close down the restaurant they had their first official date in. Then she will finally ask the love of her life to marry her. She sits on the bed, looking at the gorgeous diamond ring she had picked out. It’s simple, but very elegant just like her Juhyun. She will love it, and Yoona can’t wait to spend the rest of her life with this woman.

 

“Yoong, honey are you up?” She hears Juhyun asking. She closes the ring box right away and hides it.

 

“Yeah, Hyunnie I’m up.” She gets out of bed, and goes to where her better half is. She always wakes up first. Breakfast is already made and she looks like she is about to go to work.

 

“Hyunnie? You have to work?” She comes up behind her and wraps her arms around her waist.

 

“Yeah, I need to go in after all. Just up until the afternoon, we’ll still have dinner tonight though.”

 

“Good, I can’t go the whole day without seeing you Hyunnie.” Yoona smiles and kisses her cheek.

 

“Sweet talker,” The brunette turns and kisses her fully on the lips. “I have to get going. But, there’s breakfast if you’re hungry.”

 

Yoona is relieved that her girlfriend will be able to have dinner with her. She has to finally propose to her after all. She doesn’t care what happens, she will get to ask this woman to marry her. Yoona holds onto her though all the way to the door.

 

“Yoong, let me go okay.”

 

“I miss you already!”

 

Juhyun just runs her fingers through dark locks. “Yoong, you’ll have to let me go. Don’t you have filming today?”

 

“No, not today.” And that’s because she specifically asked no to. Not even her work will stop her from proposing.

 

“Okay, so you have a day off, until we have dinner later.”

 

“Stay with me Hyunnie.”

 

“I would if I could, but I need to go. Now, let me go okay.”

 

“Fine, but you’re abandoning me when I need you most.”

 

Juhyun chuckles and then turns to kiss her once more. Only, for Yoona one kiss is never enough. She has to have as many kisses as possible. The dark-haired woman wraps her arms around her waist. She deepens their kiss to which Juhyun eagerly responds to. It’s getting hotter by the second. Juhyun knows if she doesn’t get her right mind in order. They will be back in bed in no time. She hesitantly ends the kiss.

 

“Yoong, I need to go.”

 

“Okay, have a good day at work. I’ll see you tonight.”

 

“Yes, you will. I love you.”

 

“I love you too.”


 

Once alone though, Yoona double checks with the staff at the restaurant. Everything is a go for later. She also made sure no more of their friends were going to be getting married. She can’t afford someone else stealing the spotlight. Not, when she’s been wanting to do this for so long. She remembers a time just before their first anniversary. Yoona promised Juhyun even then they would be married one day.


 

(Flashback)

 

The couple were cuddled up in bed at Yoona’s place. They had just celebrated their first anniversary together. They went to the movies and dinner. Juhyun didn’t want anything over the top, something simple for the two of them. Yoona has her arms around her. She’s just glad she can be with this amazing girl. She’s wanted to be with Seo Juhyun for as long as she could remember.

 

“Happy Anniversary Hyunnie.” She whispers.

 

“Happy Anniversary Yoong.”

 

“It’s our first year. I’m so happy, do you think we’ll have many more.”

 

“Hm.” The slightly younger girl pretends to think. “I think, we’ll have one more month at the most then we’ll break up.”

 

“Yah! No, that’s not funny. We’re going to be together forever.”

 

Juhyun can only laugh at the wide-eyed expression on her girlfriend’s face. She smooths out the frown on Yoona’s face.

 

“I’m kidding. I’m not planning on breaking up with you.”

 

“Good.” Yoona nods and kisses her lips. “I’m going to marry you one day Hyunnie.”

 

“Oh, when was this decided?”

 

“As soon as I met you. I knew you would be my wife, Seo Juhyun. You’re definitely going to be Im Juhyun one day.”

 

(End)


 

Yoona looks at the ring again. She can’t wait to see the look on Juhyun’s face when she sees the ring. And, best of all nothing will stop her tonight. She sees she’s getting a phone call from Jessica, one of her close unnies.

 

“Sica-unnie, hi.”

 

“Hey, Yoong. I just wanted to wish you luck. You’ve been trying to propose to Seobaby forever. I hope it works out.”

 

“Yeah, me too unnie. Just to be sure, none of you are going to show up and get married again or something?”

 

Jessica let’s out an amused laugh. There will be no surprise engagements to ruin Yoona’s proposal this time. Everyone is either married or in serious relationships.

 

“No, Yoong we’re all either married or too busy to interrupt.”
 

“Unnie!” Yoona complains at Jessica’s deadpan voice. “This is not a joke. I’m so serious right now, if any of you unnies ruin this for me. I’m going to be so done!”

 

At her “threat” the older woman laughs again. Yoona is nothing if not amusing. She gets it though, as she has loved Juhyun for a long time. And all she wants is to be married to her.

 

“We’re not going to interrupt. But, just know if she says no for some reason. We’ll be there for you.”

 

“What! No, she won’t say no. She loves me and I’m Im Yoona, who can really resist me?”

 

“Oh, please Im Yoona. You’re not that good of an actress. Seriously, though good luck okay.”

 

“I’m an amazing actress! Thank you unnie, I can’t wait to make her my wife.”


 

For Juhyun, even though she has had quite the busy day. Treating patients, and even an emergency surgery in between. She can’t help the feeling that something is going on. Or, rather Yoona is up to something. She can’t tell if that’s a good or bad thing in this case. Her girlfriend often does a lot of sweet, romantic, and spontaneous things for her. Sometimes, they are truly wonderful surprises. And other times they don’t turn out so well, like for when Juhyun turned 23 and Yoona planned a trip to Jeju for them. Everything that could have went wrong did, the flight was delayed. Their gorgeous hotel room was given away to someone else, and their reservations to a restaurant as well. And, Yoona unfortunately ended up getting violently ill from another place they ended up eating at.

 

Of course, all those things were out of her girlfriend’s control. It still ended up being a memorable birthday, just not the good kind. Juhyun does wonder if tonight is really just about dinner only. There is no birthdays, anniversaries, or any other special event for them tonight. The doctor just can’t help the feeling that something is up. She is even more suspicious when she sees her older friend Tiffany enter the hospital.

 

“Unnie, are you sick?” She wonders first.

 

“No, Juhyunnie I’m not sick. Just wanted to check in, and see how you were.”

 

“Okay?” Juhyun nods, although she finds that a bit odd. Why would Tiffany just show up here.

 

“Are you excited about tonight? You’re having dinner with Yoong right?”

 

“Um, yes? But, it’s dinner. We go out to dinner sometimes unnie.”

 

There is some sort of knowing glint in her older friend’s eyes. Clearly she knows more than she is saying.

 

“Unnie, are you trying to hint to me about something?”

 

“What, no why would I do that? I know, it just seems like dinner. Still, it’s nice to be able to spend time with our significant others, no? It makes us cherish them more.”

 

Whatever, Tiffany is trying to hint to her. Juhyun, doesn’t really have time for it. She needs to check on a few patients first. She’ll probably change here at the hospital rather than go all the way back home. And then she will meet Yoona at one of their favorite restaurants.

 

“Unnie, is this about me. Or, you and Sica-unnie?”

 

“What, oh no me and Jessi are great. We couldn’t be better, I’m just always worried about you and Yoong. You two are like our kids you know.”

 

“No, we’re not that much younger than you unnie.”

 

Tiffany taps her in the arm suddenly with a semi angry frustrated expression. “Just go with Seobaby. You’re like a daughter to me anyway, and well I just want for you and Yoong to be happy, together.” She ends in a tone that sounds like she’s doing her best to hold onto a secret.

 

“Thank you unnie, we are happy. If that’s all, I need to go because I have patients to check on.”

 

“Sure, thing Dr. I….. I mean Dr. Seo.”

 

The younger woman raises an eye to her, only says nothing about Tiffany’s slip. All she does is say goodbye to her unnie and walk off. Tiffany mentally reprimands herself, how could she almost give it away.

 

“Stupid, so stupid.”

 

At the same time her phone rings. “Jessi, baby hi!” She says cheerfully.

 

“Tiff, are you at the hospital? When I asked you not to go and potentially ruin Yoong’s proposal?”

 

“Um, no baby what makes you think that? I am shopping, yes shopping.” She adds in a whisper.

 

“Oh, I see.” Jessica speaks in a deadpan voice. “Well, after you finish shopping can you come back home? And not potentially ruin Yoong’s surprise. She’s been waiting for months, no years really to do this.”

 

“I know, but I just want them to be married now!”

 

“I know, sweetie. Me too, that’s why you have to leave before you end up ruining the surprise.”

 

“Fine, I’ll be home soon. I just can’t wait to help plan the wedding, oh and Yoong didn’t even ask us for our blessing?”

 

“Tiff, you aren’t actually Juhyunnie’s mom you know.”

 

“Hush, I am too! See you at home, we can wait on news about the engagement together. Bye, Jessi I love you.”

Jessica is able to tell her she loves her as well, before they end the call. Tiffany really just wants for everything to work out for the younger women. And, soon she will actually call Juhyun as Dr. Im Juhyun.


 

For Yoona it was a terrible start to the evening. She realized halfway to the restaurant that she forgot the ring. She can’t possibly propose to the love of her life without the ring! The actress had to drive all the way back home, then all the way back to the restaurant. Not without having to curse out a few drivers because they were driving slow. And she needed to get to the restaurant way before Juhyun. She was planning for the waiter to slip the ring into the sweet potatoes for her. Juhyun loves sweet potatoes more than anything. She will definitely love the cute, sweet proposal she has lined up for her.

 

“Okay, I’m here. This is the ring box, don’t you dare lose the ring please. Or I will possibly kill you!” Yoona tells the waiter who nods furiously.

 

“Yes, Ms. Im!”

 

“Good, okay and make sure it’s there for the dish I requested specifically for my girlfriend. She loves sweet potatoes, like seriously. Possibly more than me.”

 

“Right away Ms. Im. I hope everything goes well.”

 

“Me too, buddy.”

 

The restaurant is decorated gorgeously though, there are flowers everywhere, soft candlelight, music in the background. Everything seems to be set. All she has to do is wait for Juhyun outside. She wants her to be blown away by the setup.

 

Yoona, probably waits for her maybe 10 minutes. When she sees her car pulling up. The actress has to calm down, as her heart feels like it might possibly explode. She takes a few deep breaths and right away captures her other half in a hug, and kiss.

 

“Hi, baby.” Yoona kisses her lips.

 

“Hi, Yoong. Were you waiting long, traffic was terrible tonight.”

 

“No, I wasn’t waiting long. Are you hungry?”

 

“I’m starving, how about we go inside?”

 

“Sure, Hyunnie. But, put this on first.” She gestures to the blindfold. The doctor looks at her curiously.

 

“Oh, no you know I’m not comfortable with that of yours.”

 

Yoona nearly chokes on her spit at the mention of that one time. It was hard convincing Juhyun to try blindfolded, but it was possibly some of the most amazing they ever had. Clearly, someone is flashing back to that night.

 

“What, no no… it’s not meant to be this time. I promise, I just want you to be surprised.”

 

“Alright, because you seem to really want me blindfolded.”

 

Yoona carefully places the blindfold on and kisses her cheek. “I got you, just hold onto me. We’re going inside the restaurant now.”

 

Juhyun nods and allows herself to be guided into the restaurant by her girlfriend. Yoona checks to see that she’s okay, since she is sweet that way with her. Soon, she tells her she is taking the blindfold off. And when she can see again all Joohyun sees is how beautifully decorated the place is. That, and it’s closed down for the two of them. She turns to Yoona and pulls her into a kiss.

 

“Is this why you were being so strange, earlier?”

 

“Sorta, but the best surprise will come later. Let’s go eat, okay.”

 

“Alright, this is sweet though Yoong.”

 

“What’s closing down a restaurant for my girl, please too easy.” The slightly older woman laughs and pulls out her chair for her. Everything goes well at first, the food is delicious too. Only, when the waiter brings out the requested sweet potato dish there is no ring.

 

“Where the hell is the ring!”

 

“Oh, those sweet potatoes look delicious.” Juhyun starts eating right away, but where the hell is the ring.

 

“I’ll be back baby.”

 

Yoona hurries to the kitchen and tries her best not to make a scene.

 

“Where is the ring!”

 

“Ring ma’am?”

 

“The ring I wanted you to put in the sweet potato for my girlfriend.”

 

“Oh, yes the ring. I am so sorry, I was so nervous I forgot. I will re do the dish.”

 

“Yeah, you better bring out the dish again. And please don’t forget the ring this time.”

 

When Yoona sits back down, Juhyun is so focused on the sweet potatoes like she doesn’t even notice Yoona is back.

 

“Um, are they good?”

 

“They’re really good. This reminds me of back in college, you’d always give me sweet potatoes more than anything else.”

 

Yoona grabs a gentle hold of her hand. “I did that because you love them so much. And, I wanted you to know I cared about you.”

 

“I knew you did Yoong. You were always letting me know that you cared about me.”

 

The actress smiles, and soon the waiter brings out a second sweet potato dish. Yoona breathes in relief, and Juhyun looks surprised to see another one.

 

“Another one?”

 

“Yeah, you love them right. Enjoy, there is probably something special about them?”

 

Juhyun doesn’t see anything immediately special about the sweet potatoes. They look much the same as the other plate. Yoona seems to want her to eat them though, and she will never say no to more sweet potatoes.

 

“They are delicious Yoong, but nothing is special about it.”

 

“No, are you sure?” Yoona looks to see where the ring is. And it’s not there. Oh, hell no! Is the guy an idiot or something.

 

“I’ll be back again, okay.”

 

“Okay, are you alright Yoong?”

 

“Fine, babe. Just need to have another friendly chat with our server.”

 

The friendly chat means Yoona practically slamming him into the nearby wall.

 

“I don’t know why this is so difficult to understand. But, I have waited many years to ask that gorgeous woman out there to be my wife. My unnies ruined it for me once. I will not let you, do you hear me?”

 

He nods, scared since Yoona, no actress Im Yoona looks as if she will murder him soon.

 

“Put the ring in the damn sweet potato!”

 

“Yes ma’am! Right away ma’am.”

 

This time she watches him do this and breathes a sigh of relief. Finally, they are back on track. Juhyun is done with her second plate.

 

“Yoong, I am getting full. So, if there were any other courses you had planned. Maybe we can take them to go.”

 

“Oh, um not yet Hyunnie. We can’t go yet, tell me about your day?”

 

She has to distract Juhyun for awhile, as the waiter prepares the final sweet potato course.

 

“My day? It was fine, well Tiffany-unnie showed up. And she was acting strange.”

 

“Fany-unnie, is always strange.”

 

“No, she’s not.” Juhyun laughs a little. “She was acting strange though, like she knew something I didn’t know.”

 

Yoona mentally groans. She will have words with their beloved Tiffany-unnie, especially if she almost ruined the surprise. A little while later, the waiter returns with another dish.

 

“Yoong, more sweet potatoes. I love them, but even I can’t eat another plate.”

 

“You don’t have to eat them all Hyunnie, just this one!” Yoona gestures to the one she knows has the ring.

 

“Just one?”

 

“Yeah, it’ll make me happy if you eat that one.”

 

“You’re being really weird tonight Yoong, are you feeling okay?”

 

“Yea I’m good, just eat that one for me, please?”

 

“Okay, whatever you want Yoong.”

 

The ring is indeed inside of that specific potato. Yoona waits on bated breath for her to notice. Only, for some time Juhyun seems to be eating every part of the potato but the part where the ring is.

 

“See the ring, for the love of god. See the freaking ring!”

 

Juhyun gets to the part of the potato that has the ring, only she is about to eat it without paying attention.

 

“No!” The deer-like woman shouts.

 

“What’s wrong?”
 

“Don’t eat that part.”

 

“Why not? First you want me to eat them, and now you don’t? Im Yoona, what is going on?”

 

Yoona takes several deep breaths. “Hyunnie, look first before you eat it.”

 

Juhyun nods and sees something sparkling down in between the bright orange of the sweet potato. She use her fork to push it away and her eyes widen at the ring. There is a gorgeous diamond ring inside of the potato.

 

“Yoong, what is happening?”

 

The dark-haired woman yanks the ring out of the potato. Blowing on it several times since it’s hot as hell. Probably not the smartest place to hide the ring, now that she thinks of it. But, still it was a cute idea at the time. She gets on one knee before her girlfriend, who just looks stunned.

 

“Seo Juhyun, we’ve been together for 7 years. Those were the happiest, best times of my life. Because I was with you. I am so in love with you, and I want to spend the rest of my life being yours. You make me a better person everyday, and I can’t picture anyone else being my wife but you. Would you please, marry me Hyunnie?”

 

Juhyun is still in silence. She is staring at Yoona and the ring, back to Yoona and the ring again.

 

“You put the ring in the potato?”

 

“Yes, you love them. And I love you, so I thought it was cute at the time. Um, Hyunnie will you marry me?”

 

“You really put the ring in the potato?” Is all she says again in disbelief.

 

“Yes, I put the ring in the potato. Will, you make me the happiest woman ever and be Im Juhyun.”

 

It seems so crazy to Juhyun that Yoona put the ring in a sweet potato. Yet, it is so sweet and so her girlfriend. She nods with a soft smile.

 

“Of course I will marry you Yoong.”

 

“You will?”

 

“Yes, I am so very in love with you too. I wouldn’t want to spend my life with anyone else.”

 

“Yes!” Yoona shouts out excitedly, and happily places the ring onto her finger. She loves Juhyun more than anything and after so long. She was able to ask her to be her wife. The actress picks her up suddenly, swinging her around in her arms.

 

“Yoong, put me down!”

 

“No, you agreed to marry me! You’re going to be Mrs. Im and I can’t wait. I love you so much Hyunnie.” She whispers softly to her, capturing her lips in a kiss. They kiss for a few good moments.

 

“I love you too Yoona.” Juhyun whispers to her now fiance. Dr. Im Juhyun does have a pretty nice ring to it. She has to admit that. And, now she’ll spend the rest of her life with the most amazing, sweetest, wonderful woman in the world. Yoona carefully puts her down, not without kissing her several more times. Juhyun laughs though after some time.

 

“What’s so funny, Hyunnie?”

 

“You, I can’t believe you put the ring inside of the potato. I almost don’t know what to say.”

 

“Yah, it was cute! You love them so much, why wouldn’t I put the ring there?”

 

“You’re cute.” Juhyun promises with a soft kiss to her cheek. “You are very cute Yoong.”

 

“Well, yeah.” She chuckles proudly. “I’m just so glad you’re going to be my wife. Nothing matters more to me Juhyun.”

 

“Me too, I can’t wait to be Mrs. Im.”

 

“Im Juhyun, sounds like a good fit, right Hyunnie.”

 

The doctor nods. “It sounds like the perfect fit, Yoong.”



 

A/N: Okay, my very first Yoonhyun one shot in done. Perhaps maybe I could try writing more in the future. I won’t get better without practice and I genuinely love the ship so much. Hopefully my fellow Yoonhyun shippers liked this. Thanks for reading, if you did enjoy.