"Le Paradis du Café"

Break(ing) The Ice

The snow lofted seamlessly through the brisk winter air. I watched, from the warm sanctity of my town car, as the hustle and bustle of the city took place around me. Families posing for photos and couples holding hands as they strolled across the plaza. 

I sighed softly as a dazzling illumination came into view.

The Christmas Tree. Rockerfeller Plaza.

 I could see beyond the tree into the beautiful white expanse of the Ice Skating Rink. I'd been here dozens of times, especially around the winter time, and I'd never once gone to the Rink. I'd didn't even know how to skate...I'd always wanted to, but...life has a way of catching up with you, in a myriad of ways. Somehow taking time for myself had become a luxury I could no longer afford, ironically.

It's been years since I'd been back in the States, let alone in New York City. I had reservations about this place. Ever since my company had gone Public 4 years ago, the simple title of CEO had become one with an immense weight. One that was becoming increasingly difficult to bear...Deadlines, scheduling, quarterly reports. Digits, digits, digits. Meetings upon meetings....

Then a café came into view. 

"Le Paradis du Café".

Coffee Heaven.

I'd be lying to myself if I said I wasn't in need of some caffeine. I had several conference calls to make tonight, during the witching hours, due to partners overseas.

"Rodney, stop here, at that Café, please?" I piped up.

"Of course, Ms. Minatozaki." He responded in his grizzled, yet soft voice.

The car slowed to a creeping halt, and I spotted her. Through the window her dark chocolate brown hair caught my eye. There was a simmering red undertone to it that flared briefly under the lights as she approached one of her patrons. 

Her pale skin, almost ivory, gleamed radiantly, causing my lips to part involuntarily. 

"Shall I find somewhere to park, Ms. Minatozaki?" Rodney inquired, his glassy eyes on me in the rearview mirror, a knowing smile on his wizened and bearded face. 

"...I think so, Rodney." I breathed, clasping the handle of the car door.

 I felt my heels burrow into the thick snow as I  stepped out of the town car. Not the ideal footwear for the weather, but I'd only be walking a few feet to get into the Café, so it was no matter. 

I inhaled deeply, and took in the chilled New York City air. The robust smell of coffee was trilling within my olfactory senses and sent a light buzzing to my frontal lobe. It was a divine aroma.

I walked into the Café, and examined my surroundings, as the warmth of it encapsulated me. There were several oval shaped tables, made from rich Mahogany with a gleaming wood finish that made them twinkle in the lights of the place. The lights themselves, actually hung from the ceiling in    spherical lanterns; I couldn't quite make out whether they were made from a sort of paper, or something sturdier. The walls were lined with booths, made from the same Mahogany, and nearly all filled with patrons. In fact, the entire Café was incredibly crowded. I hadn't noticed when I'd initially entered. There were also beautiful paintings adorning the walls as well. And these were not just normal run of the mill paintings. They were expensive pieces, to be sure. I had some of the work of these artists in my own office and home, both here in NYC and back in Seoul. My eyes widened slightly as I laid eyes on a particularly gorgeous piece. One I'd seen in a gallery in London a year or so ago. I couldn't forget it. It was a piece by the incredibly renowned Son Chaeyoung. She had become an incredibly prolific artist, and at an exceedingly young age, as well. I'd read in Forbes that she was having art shows around the world, and selling paintings like hotcakes, ever since her initial, and most famous portrait of the internationally famous Ballerina Myoui Mina, who she was now married to, in fact. All this at the young age of 23. She'd dropped out College and was more than making her mark in spite of it. A true inspiration. 

I was one of the youngest CEOs in the past decade myself, at only 26, as well. It was also  exciting and inspiring to see fellow millennials making great strides in life. My Designer Fashion Brand Ouroboros had been a smashing success ever since it's inception in my earlier Twenties. I'd vowed,  when I left my home country of Japan, that I would make good on my promise to my parents to make a name for myself. They were supportive of my dreams of being a Fashion Designer, but worried about how accepting America would be of me, despite the façade of it being a "Free Country.". But I think I've made them proud. I'll never forget the look of happiness in my Mother's eyes, and the tear that slid down my Father's face when they came to my first show at New York Fashion Week. 

"Excuse me, Miss!" Came a loud exclamation, piercing my introspective journey.

I snapped back into focus and turned towards the sound. I laid eyes upon a very breathtaking woman, with bright eyes, and high, almost perfectly rounded cheek bones. She smiled at me revealing two large front teeth, that actually complimented her beauty quite well. 

"I'm sorry for startling you, I was trying to ask if you'd like a table. You must really like that painting, I take it?" She laughed lightly.

She had this infectious air of confidence and inclusiveness that made me feel at ease, and even caused me to crack a smile myself. Her hair was wrapped up on the crown of her head in a perfectly messy bun. 

"No, no, I'm sorry. I tend to space out. I'd love a table, yes, thank you. This place is beautiful. And that's a Chaeyoung painting correct?" I retorted, chuckling lightly myself.

"Yes it is! It's one of our favorite pieces, and many customers often ask about it. Chaeyoung actually used to work here before she made it big. She always loved this place and promised that she'd make a piece for us when she felt she'd become the Artist she wanted to be. Oh gosh, listen to me drone on. Hahaha! Come, I'll show you to your table! My name is Nayeon, by the way." She giggled as she took a menu from behind her podium, and motioned for me to follow her.

"Oh you're fine, don't worry! I asked, so there's no worries." I replied, following close behind her, the light satisfying clack of my heels upon the gorgeous hard wood floor. 


We came to a quaint little table, for two, and Nayeon pulled my chair out for me, smiling as I sat down. 

"Here's a menu for you, and your waitress will be with you shortly!" She said exuberantly, placing the Menu onto the table on front of me. 

"Thank you." I responded, returning her toothy smile, with one of my own. 

I'd needed something to relax, and this was shaping up to be just that. Perhaps Christmas wouldn't be as tumultuous as it always ended up being for me, this year. 

As if to deny me that sentiment, I felt a dull buzzing from my peacoat pocket, as I removed it, and draped it across the back of my chair.

I pressed my index finger lightly against the small fingerprint sensor fixed on the middle of the back of my phone, unlocking it, and illuminating the screen. 

It was a text from one of my partners at the Fashion House, Jinyoung, reminding me about the conference call tonight, at around 3:30am. It was currently 6:39pm, and despite it being relatively early, it was nearly pitch black outside, as if it were 10 'o Clock or later.

I quickly replied to Jinyoung, my fingers grazing effortlessly across the keys of the touch screen.

"Hi there, my name is Dahyun, I'm going to be your server tonight, have you taken a look at the menu yet?" Came a voice to my left suddenly.

It was a sweet voice, rich, yet light and airy. It sounded like music. Without even seeing who the woman was that was speaking I couldn't help feeling welcomed, and in a sort of lulled state of comfort. I looked over to see the vessel this voice came from, and I could feel my eyes widen, which seemed to take her by surprise, as she offered a slightly confused, but still smiling face in return.

"Are you alright? If you need a few more minutes to decide that's fine. No rush." She replied.

Get yourself together, Sana... I chided, internally. 

"Oh, no, no, I'm sorry. I was just-...nevermind, it's not important, umm, haha, what, uh, what do you recommend? I've never been here before, and I'm generally a Black Coffee kind of girl most of the time, these days." I spouted, hopefully much more lucid than it sounded.

She smiled, and walked over to the chair across from me, lifting it with ease and placing it next to me. I stared at her, quizzically and flustered, as she sat down next to me, and pulled the menu towards her, flipping it open, which caused her hair to gracefully flit about for a moment, sending a soft, and sweet aroma through the air around us. Her shampoo maybe? Or perfume? I couldn't even describe the scent, but it made me dizzy in the best way.

"So," She began, looking over at me with her beautifully vibrant and gleaming brown eyes, "We have several specials today, and of course the house favorites as far as both Entrees and Drinks go. I'd say it depends on how hungry you are." She continued.

As if on cue, a small grumble from my abdomen sounded out. I clutched my stomach, reflexively, and avoided the Waitress's eyes. To my surprise her stomach responded to mine with a lighter, longer grumble of It's own. I spun my head to look at her for confirmation of what I'd just heard. I immediately felt my face grow hot as I stifled my laughter. Her face was red from holding in her own laughter, and making a truly goofy face. Small sounds could be heard coming from our mouths, as our laughter begged to be set free, and out into the world, until finally we could hold on no longer, and the two of us burst into boisterous, cackling laughter. She pounded the table with her fist, and I threw my head back in laughter, as well, drawing the eyes of many other confused patrons. I realized as my hands were empty, that I'd tossed my phone into the air as well, accidently, and it came back down slapping onto my forehead lightly, only sending us on a victory lap of laughter. 

"Well it looks like we're both famished." She said, her laughter finally dying down.

"So it seems. What was your name again?" I asked, rubbing my forehead lightly. 

"Dahyun. Kim Dahyun." She answered holding out her hand to shake.

"Sana. Minatozaki Sana." I responded, offering my own hand as well. 

The moment our hands touched I felt a jolt of euphoric energy flow through us both. Her hand was smooth, and incredibly soft to the touch. My breathing became slightly uneven, and I could feel my face flushing. Her face turned up into a bright, and warm smile, and her cheeks became an adorable shade of scarlet. It was strange.

I didn't want to let go of her hand.

"Umm, haha, so the umm, the food that you want to order...?" She finally managed to speak, after a few moments, releasing my hand. 

"Right! Of course! I'm uhh...I'm just going to have whatever's the most caffeinated, and I suppose you can surprise me with whatever dish you think best goes with the Coffee?" I sputtered, clumsily. 

Dahyun continued to smile at me for a second or so.

"This may be a little forward, but...I actually go on break in about 15 minutes...I was thinking maybe I could join you?" She spoke a bit softer than before, and her eyes sort of fluttered a bit as she barely retained eye contact for more than a few milliseconds.

"Y-you mean like, eat with me?" I replied, somewhat flustered myself.

"...Yeah...I mean, only if you weren't already expecting someone else, that is, of course." She said, hurriedly, clearly regretting her initial offer.

"Oh, no, no, I'm not expecting anyone. I just arrived in the city actually, A few hours ago, and I was in need of some caffeine for some late night conference calls I need to make later with some partners. I mean...if you want to waste your break talking with me, by all means. Hahaha." I exclaimed, trying to ease her mind.

She looked at me pensively again, searching me with her eyes, making my heart rate increase erratically. 

What is it with this girl? Something about her is...driving me crazy...in the best way.... I recited inwardly. 

"I can tell just by looking at you, Sana Minatozaki, that nothing could be a waste if you're involved." She finally retorted, winking at me. 

I could feel the temperature rising in my entire body, specifically my face, as I blushed from her words. 

I couldn't formulate any sort of speech, and just began giggling, in an awkward sort of way, that must have been endearing, because Dahyun giggled right back.

"I'm sorry. I'm super corny. But that's great! I don't feel like leaving the Café, so I'll just chat with you, then! I'll go grab us the Gingerbread Dream Latte, it's the Winter bestseller. People go crazy for it! Are you allergic?" She asked, suddenly piping up excitedly. 

"N-No, that's fine. It sounds great actually." I smiled. 

"Perfect! There's these delicious Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins that I think compliment it spectacularly." She continued, rising from her seat.

"Oh really? Sure, that sounds great too. Thank you Dahyun." I replied again.

"Back in a flash, Ms. Minatozaki!" She winked again.

"Oh, please, call me Sana." I assured her.

_____________________________________________

 

Within about another 15 minutes, timed perfectly with Dahyun's break, she returned to my table with a large tray held gracefully in one hand, that held two large cups of the Gingerbread Dream Latte, and two even larger Lemon Poppyseed Muffins.

"Jesus, those things are huge!" I exclaimed, quite taken aback. 

"Yeah they're pretty filling. Haha." Dahyun laughed as she sat across from me at the table, after setting down cups and saucers around us. 

"Before you start, I've gotta give you the technique." She said, holding up her finger, authoritatively, with a devilish smile on her face. 

"Technique?" I inquired.

"Yes! So. What you wanna do, is take a deep inhale over the cup, take a small sip, and then bite directly into your muffin. It's the best way to taste all the flavors in their full splendor. The way they blend together is absolutely incredible. Trust me." She recited.

"Whatever you say." I chuckled, doing as she said.

I followed her instructions and inhaled deeply over the steaming cup of coffee, and was more than surprised by the immense wave of aromas that entered into my sinuses. These sweet and sugary notes, that swirled about in my nostrils, followed with a hint of cinnamon and the signature pastry scent that was reminiscent of Gingerbread.

"Oh, wow." I exhaled, breathily. 

"Now take a sip, and then take a bite." Dahyun instructed, a sort of excited twinge to her voice. 

I lifted the cup to my lips, and blew it several times before kissing the cup gently, and parting my lips to allow the creamy, warm coffee to enter my mouth. I placed the cup down, and picked off a piece of the muffin with my fingers and began to bring it up towards my mouth. The small piece of pastry slipped through my fingers and began to fall towards the table, yet in a swift motion was caught by the outstretched hand of Dahyun, perfectly between her thumb and index finger. 

"Butterfingers." She said softly, as her lips turned up into a smirk.


After another moment of reading me with her eyes she lifted her hand up to my face, tentatively at first, but then with a bright smile, and more confidence, brought the piece of muffin up to my lips, and waited patiently. My heart for some reason began to beat faster, again, and I could feel my temperature rising once more, hot beverage notwithstanding. I slowly parted my lips, and allowed Dahyun to feed me the muffin, catching the robust citrus aroma as it crossed under my nose and into my mouth. The second it touched my tongue I immediately felt it begin to dissolve, it's buttery, decadent flavor sending signals throughout my entire body. I let out an involuntary moan of delight from the sheer delicious taste of the pastry.

"Holy , you weren't kidding. That was ing incredible." I said, still ruminating on the divine aftertaste. 


"I should hope so. Haha. I did make them after all." She responded, still smiling at me.

"Wait, you made these??? What??" I uttered in disbelief.

"Yep! I sure did. My own special recipe. I'm not just a Waitress here, I actually make quite a bit of the dishes sometimes. I'll give your compliments to the chef." She winked.

"That's amazing. These are phenomenal! Have you ever considered opening your own bakery?" I said between further bites of the sizeable, yet scrumptious muffin.

"Yeah, actually! I've been wanting to for awhile now. I've been saving up for about 2 years, and hopefully in spring of next year I can really start looking into some real estate." She said, a twinkle suddenly glinting in her eyes. 

"That's amazing! I'm sure you'll be a big hit!" I said, smiling back.

"Thank you! So, Sana Minatozaki, what brings you to New York this holiday season? Visiting family?" Dahyun replied.

"My Mother and Father actually live in Japan, and I'll unfortunately not be able to spend Christmas with them this year..." I began.

Dahyun appeared to note the somber tone in my voice and I could see a meaningful look of concern in her eyes.

"Not being able to spend Christmas with your folks must be hard...I'm sorry. I think you mentioned some conference calls, earlier? Does that have anything to do with it?" She tentatively pried.

"Well yes, and no. I do have to take care of some business here, but...I don't know. I've just sort of grown accustomed to being sort of...alone on Christmas since my company had gone Public, and things got alot more complicated and political, and...it's just alot. I get swept up in work, and deadlines often, so my parents understand...it's just..." I trailed off. 

"You don't want to keep showing up for the holidays without a significant other?" She replied.

I looked back at her in surprise.

"I get it. I've kind of had to deal with the same sort of things with my folks whenever they visit, and expect to see some girl on my couch, ready to hop off and greet them as they come through the door." Dahyun laughed lightly. 

"Oh? Girl, huh?" I mistakenly said out loud. 

"Oh, yeah. Haha. Sorry. I'm gay. I don't know if you could tell or not. I came out to my parents several years ago, and luckily they were actually pretty chill with it. My Mom was a bit...off for the first few months afterward, but I'm always so happy she came around. Now if only they'd stop trying to set me up with every single woman they know, and/or see." She laughed, pounding the table. 

"Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't meaning anything by it, haha, I was just...haha, I mean, I'm...I'm gay too, and trust me the whole 'Setting you up with your soulmate' thing my folks have been trying to do, has been very taxing. Haha. It's just ever since I got a divorce, I've been....I don't know... apprehensive about seeing them...they were really happy for me and Jeongyeon....but...sometimes that perfect thing you thought would last forever....doesn't." I finished awkwardly, realizing what I'd said.

". I'm sorry. Jesus, this conversation really took a turn," I said nervously laughing, "I told you you'd be better off spending your break elsewhere."

I felt Dahyun's soft hands atop mine, and looked up at her, a pained, yet knowing gaze playing across her eyes.

"Hey. Don't do that. Your emotions are valid. I know we just met, but you being willing to even address those things means that they're something meaningful and important to you. Something worth talking about. But don't take that as my prying. You don't need to feel like you've gotta tell me anything. I'm sorry about you and your ex-wife, and I know how you feel about the whole....seeing family after being in a relationship for awhile sort of thing. I dealt with that when I broke up with my last girlfriend. You may have heard of her. She's only got one of her paintings here." Dahyun said, rolling her eyes, through a reluctant smile at her last sentence.

No...she couldn't mean...

"Wait...Chaeyoung? The Son Chaeyoung?" I gasped louder than I'd meant to.

"Geez, Sana, tell the whole restaurant why don't you," She laughed under her breath, "Yes, The Son Chaeyoung." She said shaking her head, and looking off towards the painting. 

"She and I were an item before she made it big. We both worked here at the time, and were in college. We weren't the best couple in the world, but I thought we were pretty happy, all things considered." She mused, her eyes still fixed on the painting.

"What happened, if you don't mind my asking?" I asked, warily, though slightly intrigued.

"Myoui Mina." She sighed.

"The famous Ballerina?" I posed.

"The very same. She was in New York for a tour of The 'Swan Lake' Ballet, when she just so happened to walk into this Café. She and Chaeyoung hit off pretty well, as friends at first. I didn't really see any issue with it, but when Chaeyoung asked if she could paint a portrait of her...I should've known. Chaeyoung only paints the people she cares for the most...she'd never gotten around to finishing my portrait...but Mina's...Mina's was special to her. It was important. And I can't deny, that it truly is the most beautiful piece she's ever painted..." Dahyun said, her eyes becoming glassy for a brief moment. 

"Hey, y-you don't have to go on...I'm sure it's not enjoyable to trudge up old memories." I said, trying to console her.

"No, no, it's ok. I've moved on. It took awhile...but I'm just glad she told me...I'm glad she told me she was in love with someone else before she did something...it would've broken my heart ten times worse had she cheated, but she didn't...I'll always be thankful for that honesty. In the grand scheme of things, I'm happy that she's happy." Dahyun said, a warm smile coming across her face, as she finally turned back to me.

"Hmm...well that's good, I suppose. I'm glad you're able to look at it fondly. Your relationship and the way it went, that is." I said, sheepishly.

"Hey, don't worry about it, I'm good, seriously. Don't make it awkward, Sana." She said, playfully slapping my hand with hers, smiling all the while. 

I couldn't help but feel my face light up when she'd said my name. She was really something...

"You never told me what you do!" Dahyun spouted, suddenly, her eyes widening.

"What?" I asked, confused for a moment.

"What you do, your job, silly! You feeling alright? I didn't put any rum in your coffee, I swear." She laughed.

"Oh! Haha. Sorry! I own a Designer Clothing Brand." I said nonchalantly.

"I'm sorry, what? Like...Gucci? Fendi? Prada? Balenciaga? Yves Saint Laurent? That kind of Designer Fashion??" She gasped wide eyed.

"Yes, actually. Maybe you've heard of it. It's called Ouroboros. We just went public a few years ago, so we're not a household name ye-..." I began.

"Holy ing , WHAT? I love that! You're the CEO of your own Fashion Label?? That's insane! What are you like my age, 23-24 or something? Congratulations!" She gushed.

"I'm 26, but thank you. Hahaha. I've always dreamt of being a Fashion Designer, and I never really thought I'd make it. But...here I am." I responded. 

"I'll have to look your brand up! The name sounds vaguely familiar. I think Nayeon may have a bag from you." Dahyun mused.

"Oh, cool! She a friend of yours, or just a coworker?" I asked.

"Roommate, actually. But also my best friend, yes. Haha. She's really something else." She responded.

"Well hello love birds, how's everything going over here? Has Dahyun bored you to tears with her stories yet? I bet she brought up Chaeyoung at least once. That's one of her signature pick up moves. She made Chaeyoung promise to send us a painting so she could use it to pick up girls." Nayeon said mischievously as she approached our table.

"Son of a , speak of the devil and she ing appears." Dahyun sighed, laughing. 

"Oh my. Hahaha. Everything is actually going well! And my goodness Dahyun, don't tell me I'm just another conquest?? How many CEOs have you tricked into bed?" I teased, surprising myself, and clearly Dahyun with my informal candor.

"Maybe I did spike your coffee with rum..." She said, looking at me in intrigued disbelief.

"Your break's almost over, , and I'm ready to go home." Nayeon playfully chided at Dahyun.

"I know, I know. But I really wanted to go Ice Skating tonight..." She responded.

"You know I've been to New York so many times for work, and I've never once been ice skating." I muttered to myself absentmindedly.

"Wait, Sana, what?" Dahyun interjected.

"Hmm?" I volleyed.

"Did you just say you've never ing been Ice Skating before?" She repeated my own words back to me. 

"I, uhh...I don't think so." I shot back.

"No, you did. You definitely did. Yeah, she totally did." Nayeon said, straight faced and nodding her head.

"Oh that's it. We're going." Dahyun said, slapping her open palm on the table. 

"Excuse me?" I choked out, laughing.

"We're going skating, Minatozaki! I'm going to teach you how to skate!" Dahyun said, a bright smile adorning her face.

"And who's gonna cover the rest of your shift, during this?" Nayeon snorted.

"Eunha will come in for me. It's just like 3 hours, and she lives in Hell's Kitchen anyways. Plus she owes me a favor, aaaand, I wasn't even supposed to come into work today." Dahyun volleyed back.

"Touché. Have fun. Use protection." She snickered as she walked away.

"Like kneepads?" I said to Dahyun, after she'd left.

There was a beat, then we both burst into laughter.

"Oh , I didn't even think about your conference calls. When do you have to do them?" She asked.

"Not until later. Much later. 3:30am to ballpark it." I chuckled.

"Oh . Hahaha. Well then we've got some time. I'm gonna head to the back and get changed, and grab my things, then we're teaching this CEO how to glide across the ice!" She said excitedly lifting herself from the table, and nimbly prancing across the restaurant towards the back, causing other patrons to stare, and chuckle themselves. 

I was floored. I'd never opened up so quickly with someone before. It was strange. This woman, after barely having met her had already made me warm up, and reminded me how simple and enjoyable life could be before I'd gotten so...cold. The Executive industry will do that to you. The phrase "It's lonely at the top", has more weight than most people realize. But something about this season, and her...were making things seem better, if only ephemerally. 

_______________________________________________

 


I stood with my arms clutching the railing of the Rockerfeller Ice Skating Rink, giggling uncontrollably, watching my breath furl out in front of me with each exhale.

Dahyun stood out on the rink, as graceful and dextrous as a dolphin spinning, and twirling, and gliding about.

"Show-off!" I yelled, through laughter out at her.

She seamlessly skated up astride me, and held out her arm.

"Milady." She said, half bowing, and putting on her best 'Gentleman' voice.

"Mercí." I replied, attempting to curtsy, before I lost my footing from the buckling of my ankles, and grabbed back at the railing to steady myself, mid fall.

"Jesus, Sana, you're not very balanced, are you?" Dahyun laughed.

"Shut up!" I responded, still laughing as well.

"Come on, you've got this. Let me help you." She breathed, as she knelt down to help lift me up, and steadied me.

"Just hold on to me Ok? I know you're a little taller than me, but I've got a great core so I'll keep us sturdy." She said. 

"O-ok..." I said, entrusting her with my life.

"You've rollerskated before, right?" She asked.

"Sort of. But...not much better than this." I said, sheepishly.

"That's alright, that's alright, just sort of put your feet out in front of the other. Bend your knees and  try to keep most of your weight on the balls of your feet. Pull your stomach in, tight, keeping your shoulders and chest facing forward, with your arms slightly out to the side for extra balance. Then start trying moving by taking small steps with your toes pointing outwards until you begin to glide. I'm right here, holding onto you, Ok? Just close your eyes and breathe deep. You're a CEO of a Multi....however-many-dollar Fashion Label, this is a piece of cake!" Dahyun instructed. 

Her pep talk helped a bit, and I let my eye lids come together, and the cold air around me wash over my body. I tried to imagine myself just moving through the air, truly gliding, taking heed to her instructions and I could begin to feel my legs moving in a more controlled and seamless way. My ankles weren't buckling, and I could feel myself gliding. I could feel it. It was as if I'd been skating all my life. I was moving through the rink with grace and dexterity. 

I couldn't believe it. I'd finally Ice skated. 

It was so simple.

So small.

It was an act that to others could even be seen as mundane. 

But to me....to me it made all the difference. To me it was paramount. I could feel my body begin to shudder, not from the cold, but from a tightening of my muscles, a tensing before the release. I thought about my Mother and Father, I thought about my friends, the things in life I'd wanted so badly, and how in achieving them, I'd ended up sacrificing some things along the way. Things  I used to love...and then the flood gates opened.

I could feel the tension in my face, and behind my eyes and forehead begin to build up, until they burst. Tears, searing hot, began to drain from my eyes, as I laughed.

I was happy. 

Something so simple as meeting this woman, and finally learning to ice skate had made me so happy. I could buy the Café she worked at if she wanted. I could buy her a bakery, I could buy myself a plethora of things that could "make me happy", but this, this brought me more joy than I could've imagined. 

"Dahyun, I'm doing it! I'm really doing it!" I shouted through my joyous, and therapeutic tears.

"I know! I knew you could, Sana!" I heard her voice from behind me.

Behind me? 

I opened my eyes, vision blurred from the tears, to see that Dahyun had let me go, and I had been skating on my own. My eyes widened with realization and the tears continued to flow with even more power, and my laughter only increased.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, on your right, look out, look out!" Came a voice in front of me as I turned to see a stranger in a large coat, a snap second before barreling into him, and knocking us both over. 

I fell onto the ice, first, and slid a few feet from the intial collision, still laughing. 

"Sana!!!" Dahyun cried out as she glided with urgency towards me.

"I'm sorry, she wasn't looking I didn't mean to bump into her. She should've been paying attention. Is she alright?" The man said, as he stood to his feet, dusting himself off.

"I don't know, Sana are you ok? Y-you're crying! Hey !" Dahyun said spinning to face the man as she saw my face, upon helping me up.

"No, no, I'm ok, I'm ok," I assured them, still laughing breathlessly, "I was crying before I ran into him..." 

"What? Why? What's wrong?" Dahyun pressed.

"Nothing is wrong. Or maybe everything. All I know is you....you made me happy...and despite the status I've achieved and the success I've made for myself, I've found it increasingly hard to feel that way...Christmas is always so painful for me nowadays, because I shut myself off from anyone else either because of work, or because of how numb and callous work has made me...but you...you cut right through that. Without even trying...it's beautiful, and it's effortless, and I'm just....Thank you, Kim Dahyun...Thank you for breaking the ice..." I said softly, sniffling through my remaining tears. 

Dahyun's eyes were fixated on me, and her gaze penetrated into the recesses of me. I realized I could look into this woman's eyes for a millenia and never know more than a few moments had passed. The lights of that towering Christmas Tree lit up her face, and reminded me for the umpteenth time that night, just how gorgeous she was.

She took a gliding step towards me, and removed her gloves. She put her thumbs to my cheeks, and wiped the tears, and their trails from my eyes. She moved her face, so slowly, towards mine, her eyes darting from my lips to my own eyes, back and forth, checking in with me, before I threw caution to the wind and brought my face to meet hers. I pulled her close to me, wrapping my arms around her waist, as our lips touched. Despite the cold around us, her lips felt soft and warm. Waves of euphoria washed over my body from the inside out, and my heart beat a mile a minute. Dahyun's firm, but gentle hold on my face pulled me in even further as she returned the kiss, our lips moving in a sensual and lithesome embrace. 

After a few moments, our lips parted, and we breathed deeply, and unevenly, foreheads pressed against each other.

"You're welcome, Sana Minatozaki." Dahyun whispered softly.


"I....I don't want to spend Christmas alone this year." I spoke evenly. 

Dahyun lightly gripped my chin and lifted my head up.

"Then don't." She breathed.

I smiled at her.

"I'm staying at the Four Seasons." I replied.

"Of course you are." She chuckled lightly.

"And I have a driver." I continued, beginning to laugh myself.

"Jesus ing Christ, of course you do!" She said, full on boisterous laughter ringing out across the rink.

We both laughed for a few moments, before she took my hands in hers. 

"Merry Christmas." She said, lightly.

"Merry Christmas." I smiled.

 

 


THE END