summatime - goldlink

excess

excess - chapter one header

Namjoon falls in love easily.

The day he believes he fell in love with a guy for the first time; he's at work in the library reading another one of Taehyung’s daily recommendations despite his supervisor’s protests and there he is.

He is dressed in a loose white t-shirt that slides off his pale shoulder, black sweatpants and white socks armoured in Adidas slides. From experience, Namjoon can tell that the man’s only been functioning on maybe two to four hours of sleep? He’d love to find out over some coffee, but judging from the guy’s expression that he’s not welcoming company.

Instead, Namjoon gives him a genuinely warm and understanding smile when he catches his eye. The guy rolls his eyes and Namjoon's a bit heartbroken honestly, but there's a small grin on the short man’s face that is enough to make Namjoon's easily wavered heart flutter.

He doesn't know at that point, but that's his best friend Min Yoongi.

 

(He will never tell Yoongi that he’s one of his first gay crushes. He’ll never let him live it down and he’s already got Taehyung to deal with)

 

The next time, he's actually with Taehyung who this time is physically next to him babbling about the latest release of Skullduggery Pleasant instead of leaving him an incoherent post-it note for him to decipher (now Namjoon just has to try and stay focused whilst he talks his ear off about the book’s newest character). As they walk into the staff room prior to dealing with a confused 11-year-old at the desk, Namjoon spots someone he's never ing seen before observing the contacts list on the notice board. This unsettles him because Namjoon:

 

A) Can't deal with people

B) Can't make good conversation

C) Will have to do A & B because Taehyung can't do any of those things either and the rest of the staff are occupied or gone.

 

However, said 'someone' is actually not bad looking. He was blessed with the sight of the guy’s faded maroon hair, proud bronze skin and a smile that make his features glow. His physique is rather built, but not in an unappealing way. In the right way. Namjoon even notices Taehyung pausing his rant to stare at him for a second.

After a few seconds of gaping, Namjoon will admit to his questioning self that the guy is very attractive. Mesmerising. Namjoon’s smitten and he hasn’t even breathed in his direction.

And of course, this beautiful creature had to turn and redirect his attention to Namjoon’s presence.

Confirming Namjoon’s assumptions, Taehyung automatically took a step back as the guy now dubbed as, the Beautiful Creature walked towards them with a small smile; leaving all the talking to Namjoon. (Though he’ll give him credit for not running off this time.)

“Hi!” the Beautiful Creature exclaimed with a such a vibrant smile that he didn’t know could get even brighter, “I’m Jeong Hoseok! I just joined today, so I hope you’ll take care of me!”

Namjoon’s thoughts stutter but Taehyung gives him a sharp jab to the side reminding him that this is the part where he’s supposed to reply, “Oh! Right! I didn’t know we were getting a new staff member? But, welcome! I’m--”

“Namjoon right? Kim Namjoon.”

He only stares at Hoseok with a frozen smile trying to comprehend how this handsome ing human being knew who he was? , maybe Baekhyun exposed him as someone to help Hoseok out? He didn’t know if it was something to be grateful or angry for.

“Uh. Yes. That’s me. This is, um, Kim Taehyung.” He awkwardly gestures to Taehyung who immediately drops into a bow. He feels a need to remind Taehyung that they are indeed, not in Korea, but Tae corrects himself and mumbles out a small ‘hello’.

Hoseok’s smile seems to simmer down into something warmer, “Nice to meet you too! I hope we’ll all get along whilst I work here! I’ll try not to up too much.”

Somewhere in him and Taehyung’s awkward mindsets, they find it in themselves to let out some polite laugh in return. Namjoon’s brain forces itself back into operation and he manages to get through giving Hoseok a brief down of the different sections and how the library’s system worked. Hoseok was nice at first. Really nice.

It only lasts a while. But newly gained friends is something that Namjoon isn’t going to regret.