End.

Breathe
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was just an average date to the park in Seoul with beautiful cherry blossoms lining the sidewalk. It was spring where the bees and butterflies flew around in harmony. It was also a good day to celebrate anniversaries.

With her back against the tree, she looked across at her girlfriend who was busy setting up for their lunch date. As she looked up and smiled at Jeongyeon, the older girl thought to herself, “How on Earth did I get so lucky to be with someone as amazing as her?” She looked on as the dark-haired girl arranged their lunch boxes on the picnic mat while humming to her favourite song, Heart Shaker by Twice. In that moment, it seemed as though time had stopped and the air around them stilled. Only she could have caused this effect on Jeongyeon. Dazed and caught in the moment, Jeongyeon allowed herself to be transported back to the past. And her thoughts returned to the day they first met.

One year ago

It was at a bookstore. Jeongyeon may look like your average nerd thanks to her round glasses, but don’t be fooled. It’s more common to see her playing online games on her phone than reading a book, not that she hates it. She much rather spend her time building her Legos, practicing baseball with the team or even hanging with her No Jam dongseng, Chaeyoung at the coffee shop than to read about Romeo and Juliet. Not forgetting, Jeongyeon could also skate.

However, today was different. She needed to ace her last English assignment or risk having to take extra classes. And there she was, standing in front of the bookstore, dreading having to go in and look for her reference materials. She wasn't having a problem with writing a report, but it was because she was having writer’s block and had been stuck at it for 3 days.

Oh well, better get this done and out of the way.

“Ugh, stupid book report. Why did it have to be about Shakespeare instead of something that is more recent?” As she entered the store, Jeongyeon said the words out loud in frustration and didn’t realised that she nearly walk into a dark-haired girl who was leaving the store.

“Ahhhhhh!”, the girl yelled as she fell over and dropped the books she was carrying. Jeongyeon recovered her senses upon hearing the scream and quickly rushed over to help her up. The girl was carrying a couple of classic literature books that now lay scattered all over the floor. Feeling guilty, Jeongyeon quickly helped to pick up all the books and muttered a quick apology to the other girl as she placed them on her hands.

“I’m so sorry about that. Here are your books,” the bespectacled girl said although she couldn’t meet the eyes of the girl she bumped into due to embarrassment. “It’s ok. And thanks for helping me pick those up,” the other said in a soft voice. As Jeongyeon looked up, she was shocked to find herself face to face with none other than Myoui Mina, one of the popular girls from her school who excelled both in academics and dance. (She was an accomplished ballerina and a top in her year and just transferred from Osaka the year before. She was Jeongyeon’s junior).

Jeongyeon froze up as Mina smiled at her. The younger girl was bemused by the reaction of the older although it’s not uncommon for people to freeze up when Mina speaks to them. After all, she had that effect on most people in school. Though she was popular, she was also a humble kid. Which was why everyone at school loved her, students and teachers alike. Not to mention, she was also a beauty with brown eyes, three tiny moles that mirrored those of star constellations and a gummy smile that could immediately turn the receiver into a puddle of goo.

<
Please log in to read the full chapter