One

When

 

Seungkwan and Hansol were walking down the street, their feet dragging and their shoes scuffing the footpath. They passed a bin and Hansol tossed his empty can of Redbull into it, cheering in self congratulation when it landed in.

"You should really slow down with that," Seungkwan told him.

Hansol shrugged, his hands in his pockets. "Probably."

"Not 'probably', that's the second can in the last three hours! You can like, have a heart attack or something if you've got too much caffeine in your system, can't you?"

"I'll be fine, you worry too much. I think that's an old wive's tale, anyway."

Seungkwan huffed at Hansol's carelessness. "You're my best friend! If something happens to you --"

"Ok, I'll take it easy on the caffeine. Happy?"

Seungkwan nodded. It was a small victory, but a victory nonetheless. He eyed the atrocity that was Hansol's shirt. Small steps, he reminded himself. He'd have to work up to helping his best friend dress properly.

Hansol opened his mouth to speak.

"Nu-uh! We're not making a deal, I'm concerned about your health!" Seungkwan cut him off.

Hansol grinned, all his eerily perfect teeth making an appearance. "I'm worried about your health, too. Chocolate is essential for a healthy soul."

Seungkwan managed to control the laughter bubbling in his belly. "Really?" he asked. He couldn't wait to hear the rest of this.

"If not chocolate then at least ice cream. Or Oreos. Yeah, definitely Oreos." Hansol nodded once, resolutely, then grabbed Seungkwan's hand and pulled him into the deli across the street. Seungkwan rolled his eyes, but dutifully followed him to the aisle that housed the Oreos.

At the far end of the aisle, crouched in front of the Shapes and Smiths chips, were Seungcheol and Jihoon.

"Seungkwan, what flavour do you want? Classic or chocolate?"

Seungkwan groaned inwardly as he saw Jihoon's face turn the slightest amount in their direction. Like a cat shifting its ears to hear something better.

"Grab one of both like you usually do," Seungkwan answered.

Hansol lifted up a hand with two packets in it. "I did. I meant for you -- chocolate or classic filling?"

"I'll have a couple of yours."

Hansol pulled Seungkwan closer to the shelves. "Pick or I'll grab a can of Monster."

Seungkwan's groan came out high pitched and strangled sounding. "I'm trying to prevent a heart attack and heart disease and you're trying to make both happen!"

At the end of the aisle Jihoon snickered.

Seungkwan puffed out his cheeks and grabbed a packet of Oreos -- he didn't freaking care whether they had chocolate or vanilla filling! Packets of Oreos tumbled down, clattering to the floor.

"Sweet!" Hansol crouched down to pick them all up. He must've sensed the admonishing look Seungkwan gave him because he looked up, the picture of five year old excitement. "What?" he asked innocently. "We can't just put them back, they're probably all smashed inside. Who wants smashed biscuits?"

Seungkwan looked up and brought his hand to his forehead. Mrs Chwe would kill him. How would he explain her son bringing home -- four, five -- seven packets of biscuits? Somehow he thought "he bullied me into grabbing a packet. I just wanted to get out of the shop so I wasn't paying attention and sent four packets flying. He reckoned nobody but him would appreciate smashed Oreos so he bought them all" wouldn't quite work.

Seungkwan put the packet he was holding back. "Put back the ones you had before and we'll just buy the broken ones."

"Just as in 'only'? As in, 'we'll only buy the broken ones'?"

Seungkwan nodded. Hansol shook his head. "No. Nope, I finally have an excuse to buy this many, you aren't taking that off me."

Down the aisle Seungcheol muttered something to Jihoon, who slapped his thighs in laughter.

"Hansol, your mum'll kill me if you get back home with all that."

Hansol shook his head, almost condescending. "Kwannie, when will you learn? We're adults, I can buy as many as I want of whatever and my mum can't say anything."

Seungkwan snorted. "She might not say anything, but she'll definitely do something -- murder me."

Hansol shrugged and started off towards the milk. "I'm gonna need you to get the milk, Kwannie, my arms are full."

Seungkwan glanced over his shoulder at Jihoon and Seungcheol.They were holding hands and a box of Shapes each, and were definitely talking about something. Probably him and Hansol.

"Kwan!" Hansol's voice rang through the deli. "Milk, c'mon!"

Seungkwan grabbed a couple cartons of flavoured milk and payed at the till, where the cashier gave them a cheeky grin as she rang up the seven Oreo packets. Hansol grabbed the bag and Seungkwan's hand, then led him outside. He squatted just outside the door and placed the plastic bag down on the ground next him. Then, he pulled out his Choc Chill, shook it, opened it, and reached for a packet of Oreos.

Seungkwan was amazed his best friend could do all that one handed.

Once he realised what Hansol was doing Seungkwan wrenched his hand out of Hansol's. "We aren't eating Oreos outside the deli," he objected, arms crossed.

Hansol shrugged and sat down properly. "Why not?"

"You're such a bogan."

Hansol patted the spot next to him. "So? We used to do this all the time." Seungkwan glanced back inside the deli, where he could see Jihoon picking out an ice cream. Hansol groaned. "Ignore them, who cares what they think?"

Seungkwan dug his toe into the ground while he considered it. "What if they --"

"Screw it, I'm over it. As long as they don't say anything they can think whatever."

"Really?" Seungkwan asked as he sat down. Hansol handed him his milk and an Oreo packet before nodding.

Hansol unscrewed an Oreo and dunked the side without the filling into his milk. Seungkwan grabbed the other half and ate it. Hansol chuckled and playfully shouldered him.

The deli door squeaked open.

"Hey, Vernon!" Seungcheol hollered. "You're going to Junghan's tonight, right?" Jihoon pinched Seungcheol's hand.

Hansol shoved a biscuit in his mouth and stood up, leaving his chocolate flavoured milk on the ground. "Yeah, of course. I'm gonna be late because my sister's got ballet or some , but I'll be there."

Seungcheol rolled his eyes and shifted his weight. Johoon was trying to subtly step on his toes. "Sibllings. I can give you a lift if you want?"

Hansol nodded, looking relieved. "That'd be great, thanks."

Seungkwan kicked out at him, getting him in the side of the knee. "I thought you were staying at mine tonight?"

"Well, yeah, I'm still gonna," Hansol said, his expression making it clear he thought it was obvious. "Just leave the key out if you go to sleep before I get to yours. I know where you put it."

Seungkwan shoved as many Oreos into his mouth as possible so he couldn't say something dumb. He glared at Hansol instead as he chewed through them all.

"I'll pick you up at seven." Seungcheol aimed his attention at Seungkwan. "Let me know if you change your mind about going." Then Jihoon was dragging him off, muttering something that sounded like "you idiot! How many ing times?"

"You can always come, if you want," Hansol offered as he sat back down.

Seungkwan scoffed. "I'll pass, Vernon. Wouldn't want to embarrass you or some ."

Hansol sighed as grabbed another Oreo out of the packet. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You're a douche around that guy." Seungkwan took a swig from his milk, making sure to maintain eye contact with his best friend.

Hansol sat for a bit, dunking biscuit after biscuit into his milk. Seungkwan waited for him to say something. When Hansol calmly finished his packet he stood and picked up the plastic bag. Things were so eerily quiet Seungkwan heard it crinkle as everything shifted around inside it.

"I'll see you tonight," Hansol said, rustling around in the bag for another packet of Oreos. "If you change your mind about the party let me know and I'll get someone to pick you up."

Seungkwan nodded slowly. He almost wanted to shake his head to clear it -- this wasn't right.

Hansol nudged Seungkwan's knee with his foot. "You know me, I'd look after you. Keep anything bad from happening." Hansol's eyes were warm, his tone as careful as Seungkwan had ever heard it.

Seungkwan looked down at his milk, stirring the carton. "I know." Seungkwan pulled his crossed legs closer to his body, haunched his back over a little more. This conversation somehow felt too intimate to have outside a deli.

The crinkle of Hansol opening his second packet of biscuits jolted Seungkwan out of the moment.

"This is why you wanted to hang out with me today, isn't it? Because you're ditching me to drink!" Seungkwan tried to make it sound like a joke. It was a weak attempt, even to him.

Hansol shifted his weight, trying to twist an Oreo open one handed. "Nah, I'm not that crappy. You're my friend, I wanted to hang out with you." He swore when he broke the biscuit. "If you don't want me over tonight though, let me know. I'll crash at Minghao's instead." Hansol shoved the broken biscuit into his mouth. When Seungkwan didn't reply, he turned and started off in the direction of his house.

Seungkwan chugged his milk. "I'll leave the key in the usual spot!" he called out.

Hansol threw a thumbs up over his shoulder.

Seungkwan crushed his milk carton and twisted his Oreos packet so they wouldn't go stale. Then he walked home, throwing the empty carton in the deli's wheelie bin on his way out the car park.

 

Seungkwan's house was unreasonably cool. He didn't like the heat but the artificial cold from the aircon dried out his skin and made the house feel unnatural, somehow. With a sigh, he reached for the remote on the wall and turned the aircon off -- his mother was always complaining about bills (rightfully so, electricity rates were ridiculous these days), but she always turned it on too high.

Seungkwan turned the TV on as background noise, he house was far too quiet when it was just him, and sat down on the couch to organise his thoughts.

After a couple minutes of internal debate he got up and grabbed a blanket from the linen cupboard and a pillow from his bed then placed them at one end of the couch. Hansol didn't usually want to share a bed when he was drunk.

Then, he checked to see if his mum had left a note on the kitchen bench with instructions or anything. She had -- it told him there was food in the fridge, and reminded him that movie he'd wanted to watch was going on be on TV at eight, and that she'd be home Monday afternoon.

Seungkwan glanced at the clock. It wasn't even five, he still had hours to waste.

 

When the late night informacials started, Seungkwan d around the TV-lit couch for the remote. When his fumbling hands found it he brought up the TV guide -- one thirty seven am. With a groan, he turned off the TV and stumbled through the dark to his bedroom.

 

Seungkwan was dozing off, only conscious in the vaguest sense, when he heard noises outside the house. He wasn't sure if it was Hansol drunkenly fumbling around in the dark for the spare key, or somebody trying to break in.

He checked the time on his phone (time passed so strangely when you were half asleep). It wasn't even two, it couldn't be Hansol back so early. He pulled his blankets closer around him.

Joshua had said something about people in his backyard a couple nights ago. His house was only a few streets over. Seungkwan's stomach dropped -- they were trying to break into his house! Trying not to whimper, Seungkwan ducked his head under his blanket. Maybe if he pretended to be asleep they'd leave him alone.

The front door opened, without a sound of struggle, and Seungkwan breathed out in relief. It must've been Hansol, whoever it was had gotten in with a key.

"Kwan!" Hansol voice rang out, the front door thudding closed. "Kwan, I'm home. Where're ya?"

Seungkwan poked his head out of his blankets. "In my room! Remember to lock the door behind you."

Hansol made a disgruntled noise, then shuffled to Seungkwan's room. Seungkwan could see Hansol's phone light piercing the darkness.

Hansol stopped at Seungkwan's doorway, his phone light disappearing as his phone locked. Seungkwan couldn't see Hansol moving, but he heard his slow, noisy footsteps get closer. Then, Seungkwan was hit by heat as Hansol lifted up his blankets and climbed into the bed next to him.

"You're here earlier than I expected you to be," Seungkwan said, his mind whirring. Hansol didn't usually leave parties until at least three. He didn't reek of alcohol like he usually did after a night with Seungcheol's group and he'd climbed into Seungkwan's bed.

"Yeah," Hansol hummed, "I was s'posed to hang out with you but I didn't." Seungkwan felt the mattress jostle, his blankets being pulled, then Hansol's hot breath was hitting his ear. "'M sorry. I'm a friend."

"You're not a friend or you wouldn't be my best friend. Go to sleep, you're drunk. Did you lock the door?" The pillow shifted as Hansol nodded. "Good, the last thing I need is someone breaking into my mother's house while she's away."

Hansol hummed and moved around, trying to adjust the pillow so he was comfortable.

"You know I left some blankets and pillows on the couch for you?"

Hansol nuzzled Seungkwan with his forehead. "Want t'be close to you."

Seungkwan nodded, his eyelids getting heavy, and shifted his legs so they were comfortable. Hansol sat up.

"What are you doing?" Seungkwan asked. He'd just gotten comfortable.

"Too hot," Hansol grumbled. There was the muted noise of material hitting the floor, then a zipper, then Hansol started thrashing his legs and the blanket slipped off Seungkwan.

Seungkwan grunted and kicked at Hansol's thigh. "My blanket. Sleep on the couch if you're hot, I was fine alone."

Hansol flung his jeans onto the floor then laid down again. He fixed the blanket and slung an arm over Seungkwan. Then, he started snoring.

 

Seungkwan woke up the next morning to his obnoxious neighbour's lawnmower roaring. Hansol's feet were tangled up with his and the pungent fumes he was breathing straight into his nose made him want to gag.

Seungkwan blinked his bleary eyes a couple times and reached for his phone. Hansol's arm was across his torso, he wouldn't be able to get out of bed without waking him up. There was nothing to do except mess about on the internet until then.

Seungkwan didn't notice when Hansol woke up. Not until Hansol's chin dug into his bone.

"Hungover?" Seungkwan asked when he turned his attention to him.

"No."

"Why're you staring at me then?"

"I'm not allowed to stare at my best friend?"

Seungkwan blushed. Hansol's stare had a tension to it that made him squirm. Hansol grinned, his eyes grew fond, and he touched Seungkwan's cheek.

"Thanks for not making me sleep on your incredibly uncomfortable couch last night."

They'd been friends or so long Seungkwan could glean what Hansol actually meant. (Thanks for letting me be with you when I needed to. Thanks for knowing I needed you last night. I'm glad we're friends.)

"How was the party last night?"

Hansol groaned. "Pretty crap. It was at one of Seungcheol's high school mates' houses, too small for how many people showed up. They had a pool table, so that was fun until a couple idiots got up and danced on it. But there were too many people I didn't now and Minghao had a friend with him so I couldn't even hang out with him after Seungcheol and Jihoon disappeared."

"I knew there was a reason you got here so early and sober."

Hansol shifted to lay on his back. "Kwan, you know you're my best mate."

Seungkwan sat up and swung his feet around off the bed. "Yeah, I know. I didn't mean it like I'm second choice. I just wasn't expecting you here so early last night and thought you were a robber or something. Scared me."

Hansol laughed. "Sorry, should've texted." He patted Seungkwan's shoulder.

"I'm gonna go get breakfast, help yourself when you get up."