The Royals: Legacy

The Royals: Series
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


He didn't want to wake him. Eunwoo looked so beautiful, lying on a bed of red, silken sheets; his ethereal face in peaceful repose. There was a slight smile curving his lips while asleep. Bin had to tamp down the the urge to beat at his chest proudly, knowing he had been somewhat responsible for putting that smile there, but there were more pressing matters to attend to than his ego.

Bin sighed. He hoped that he was having a good dream at least; a happy memory that he could draw strength from when he tells him the news. And yet he supposed, there was no harm in letting him sleep a few moments more.

He took his time admiring the way Eunwoo's luxuriously long eyelashes fan out over his pale, creamy cheeks. How the gentle slope of his nose tapered to a delicate point. How his full lips looked moist and lush even in slumber. His eyes drifted downward to his hudband's exposed neck, the graceful curve meeting the bend of his smooth right shoulder. Bin could clearly see the red mark his teeth had left on Eunwoo's pristine skin in the heat of their coupling last night. 

It had been such a perfect night too. The royal couple had eaten out, enjoying the prestigious chef's table at their favorite restaurant. And then, coming home to a long, hot bath together, before a more than satisfactory dalliance in bed if the sounds that came out of Eunwoo's mouth were to go by.

It was time together long overdue. 

An intimate reacquaintance before things changed. 

Drastically.

The Royal Consort had been busy running the household and attending domestic events that his husband had to miss because of his time abroad. On top of that, every spare time was spent renovating the suite right across from theirs; getting it ready for new additions. And Bin? He relished the time to unwind after his hectic ambassadorial schedule; having embarked on a whirlwind tour of 6 countries to formally introduce himself as the next in line to the Korean throne. 

"Love." That one word filled Bin with a gamut of emotions - desire, affection admiration for the man who had always been a part of his life as a friend and confidante and was now the embodiment of his entire universe. To Bin, the sun rose and fell on Eunwoo's smile. And he would do anything in his power to keep him happy.

He sank into the mattress, careful not to jostle his sleeping husband awake. Bin's fingers caressed at the purpling marks he had left on Eunwoo's skin; still felt the slight divots his teeth left as he nibbled while the other writhed and moaned underneath him last night. He followed his soft touches with an equally soft kiss on the spot, allowing his lips to linger for a few moments as his lungs took their fill of his husband's comforting scent.

If only they could...

"Binnie?" Although his speech was still somewhat slurred with sleep, there was no mistaking the delight in his voice at sensing the other male's presence.

"Good morning, beloved." Bin whispered, at the indentations the pillow creases left on the side of Eunwoo's face. "Did you sleep well?"

Eunwoo pressed his head into Bin's open palm as he murmured huskily. "I slept fantastic!" Adding an impish wink to his statement. He shifted in bed, stretching his arms over his head, the blanket covering him slipping down to his waist effectively baring himself to his husband's gaze. "Do you have to go somewhere right now... or can I tempt you back to bed?"

Bin sighed; ignoing the pull in his groin. He would love nothing more than to be back under the covers, holding the man he loved in his arms. To slide back into that warm tightness his body offered as they kissed; losing the rest of the day in pleasuring each other. 

Sadly though, this was not to be. 

His silence clued Eunwoo that all wasn't as well as he had hoped this morning. "Darling, what's wrong?" He pushed himself up to a sitting position, scrubbing the gunk off the corner of his eyes. "Binnie?"

"You have to get dressed, love" Bin replied, looking somber. "We have to leave right away."

Eunwoo blinked, frowning. "Why? What's going on?"

"The hospital called. It's Mirae."


***********************************************


Eunwoo kept his head bowed, hands clasped together in front of him, lips murmuring a familiar litany of words for safety as soon as they were within the tinted confines of their car. He had kept up his stoic, calm facade as they passed by the customary line up of servants bowing and scraping as they bid them goodbye whenever they had to leave the palace grounds. It was an archaic practice; one that Eunwoo himself felt acutely uncomfortable with. But in the privacy of their car, with the soundproofed panel keeping their conversation secure from the ears of their closed-in security and driver, Eunwoo felt safe enough to revert back to an old habit that had carried him through some of the toughest times in his life.

He prayed; with fingers so tightly entwined with one another, his hands appeared too white. 

Bin slid closer, wrapping an arm around his partner until Eunwoo relaxed in his hold and released a pent-up sob. "Everything will be okay. I was assured they were being taken cared of."

"Binnie if anything happens to them, I'll never forgive myself. I -"

"Don't talk like that. We have the best of the best seeing to their needs."

Eunwoo sniffed, wiping at his tears with the handkerchief his husband handed him. "This is all my fault. If I hadn't pushed for this so much, Mirae wouldn't have -"

Bin rubbed at his back. This was so typical of Eunwoo; blaming himself even for things he had absolutely no control over. It was a habit that was both taxing to him and the ones who loved him, being there to witness how he beat himself up for not being able to foresee what perils the future might bring. So ready to take on the misery of the world on his own shoulders.

"I wanted the same thing too, remember? I knew the risks. I could have put a stop to it any time, but I didn't. It was never just you."

Eunwoo drew away, looking into the other male's face, seeing his own worry and anguish mirrored within the depths of Bin's eyes. He immediately felt guilty indulging in his own feelings of remorse rather than thinking of how the situation could be affecting his husband as well. It wasn't just the threat of loss, but the knowledge that his own future; the legacy that he would leave the country as its ruler was at stake.

"I'm sorry, Binnie. Here you are comforting me when I know you're just as worried about them as I am."

"I am worried, but I also believe that the fates won't let anything happen to them... Just as they hadn't allowed anything bad to happen to you." Bin at the side of Eunwoo's cheek, thumb lingering near the corner of the other male's lips as he felt a very distinct pinch to his heart at the memory.

It was something both of them had agreed not to talk about. The near loss of the other and the betrayal that led to it was just too painful to put into words. They had  never been ignorant about the opposition against their union; even from within those who were purported to be loyal to the royal family. But they never imagined what they would be willing to do in order to keep their deeply embedded prejudices and strict adherence to acceptable conventions and norms. They had nearly taken Eunwoo away from him. It was only through the quick thinking and sacrifice of one of their most trusted guardians that his consort had been spared. However, not without paying a hefty price.

"Binnie, what if-"

But Bin shook his head, refusing to even entertain the idea. "No, we can't think negatively. They'll pull through this. The doctors know what they're doing."

"Your majesties, we're here."

The familiar voice of their head of security came through to their side through a speaker. Two years at their side and already privy to some of the couple's needs and preferences, Park Jisung knew to announce their destination a few minutes before they actually got there so that his charges would have enough time to prepare themselves before they stepped out into the public. Eunwoo hastily dabbed at the tears on his face while Bin tried brushing out the creases on his clothes. 

"Are you ready?"

The question was oxymoronic, Bin was well aware. Of course, Eunwoo wasn't. They both weren't. Who was ever ready to receive news that could potentially change the course of their family's future? But they had no choice but to look the part.

Bin's side of the door opened and the crown prince stepped out, tugging at the ends of the tailored jacket he wore. He extended his hand out to his husband as Eunwoo slid out from the vehicle in his usual graceful manner; his face the perfect mask of aloof pleasantness. They walked into the lobby hand in hand, with Eunwoo still a step or two lagging behind the country's future ruler as dictated by custom. They were flanked on both sides by their security team, all clad in impeccably tailored blue suits, as they easily cut through the sea of curious onlookers who whispered, pointed and whipped their phones out in recognition of the couple.

At the elevators, they found Jinwoo waiting for them, Eunwoo's extremely efficient best friend and personal assistant turning up at the hospital early to make sure that everything was ready for their arrival.

"Majesties." Jinwoo murmured reverently with a bow. Although they were the closest of friends and had already seen each other at their worst, the niceties needed to kept as the royal couple were in public and everything about them was being observed -including the members of their staff.

His handsome face was placid, schooled by service training to maintain a calm he didn't feel as he followed the couple and their guard into the elevator. He knew what it would mean to the monarchy if the situation went south. And from the fuzz the maternity ward threw when he checked in on them, the prognosis was not good. No one could give him any updates. The staff were mobilized into such a frenzy, they threatened to ban him from the floor if he kept to his inquiries. A full 45 minutes had passed of him pacing the halls before a wiry, resident doctor came to speak to him with something he could share with the couple he served.

"What have you found out?" Bin asked, finally able to wrap an arm back around Eunwoo's waist. He felt him tremble as he held him pressed tightly at his side. The other male clung to him, no longer wary of prying eyes and judgmental gazes. It was only Jinwoo and their head of security with them.

"Mirae had a hypoglycemic episode when her water broke. Well, actually... the doctors weren't sure which happened first. They'd have to ask her when she wakes up." 

Jinwoo paused, drawing a deep breath. 

IF she wakes up. 

He wanted to correct his first statement, but seeing the understanding dawn on the royal pair's faces at what was left unsaid, he figured they already knew. Depending on how long Mirae had been unconscious... Depending on how long she had been without that nenecessary infusion of glucose... Her chances of ever waking up; without any lasting complications to herself, or the babies; were slim. 

"Lucky Sanha arrived early to drive her to her doctor's appointment and found her in the livingroom unconscious." Jinwoo continued, struggling to keep his own concern at bay seeing how distressed Eunwoo already looked. "The paramedics were there within minutes and Mirae in the hospital within 10. They're all doing their best."

Mirae was not just any woman. She was both their mentor and friend. And knowing that she was at risk, unsettled all of them. A petite, pretty female with a slight build and a face that refused to age, Yoon Mirae had always been a surprising influential person in their lives. Even a force to be reckoned with. Jinwoo's recollections of his days in Hanlim were still fresh with instances of how this tiny, slip of a woman put the fear of god in him and his classmates despite being a rookie at her job back then. 

She had a personality that commanded respect and a will akin to steel. To them, she had taken on an almost inviolate image, immune to weakness or corruption despite her delicate facade. 

Gestational diabetes had been an unforeseen consequence of Mirae's conception  - the sudden surge in hormones disrupting her body's metabolism and ability to produce enough insulin. And yet, true to who she was, she persisted; saying that she was willing to do it to ensure the future of her country. A determination that Eunwoo and Bin had encouraged and cheered on in their quest to build a family. Jinwoo suspected though that for Mirae, it was because of something else. A chance to experience motherhood - carrying and nurtuting another life within her to full-term. Something that wouldn't have been possible within the circumstances of her own marriage - as happy as it actually was.

"Jinjin." Eunwoo croaked. The royal consort's eyes were red-rimmed and forlorn. "The babies?"

Jinwoo's throat constricted. He had always known of Eunwoo's desire to have children with Bin - a feat that was unfortunately still impossible without the need for a surrogate, even with all the advances of moderm medicine. He could only imagine his best friend's heartbreak should anything happen to Mirae or the children. He coughed, taking the time to will his voice steady. 

"The twins experienced some distress." Jinwoo thought to leave out the detail that one of the other twin's heartbeat had started to fluctuate before they could fully stabilize Mirae's condition. "The doctors had worked on elevating Mirae's blood sugar first and once they deemed her relatively fine, she was wheeled into surgery. They were just preparing her for the emergency c-section before I came down to meet you."

"Binnie..." 

"Ssssshhhh..." Bin cooed at him, angling his head to the side so that Eunwoo can bury his face in the crook between his neck and shoulders. "And Doctor Min? Is she here to attend to them?"

"Arrived around the same time the ambulance with Mirae did." Jinwoo supplied the information easily. Doctor Min Hyejung was the country's leading expert on multiple pregnancy complications and the head of obtetrics at Seoul National General Hospital. It was a small consolation to know that the hospital had been able to mobilize a competent team of doctors to support Mirae's primary obstetrician at such short notice. Jinwoo led their group out when the doors opened on to the surgerical department to where the waiting area for Mirae's operating room was. 

Eunwoo craned his neck, hoping to catch a glimpse of any activity happening beyond those doors. He hadn't realized that he has started moving towards the area until Bin held him back, stepping in front of his path. 

"I want to see what's going on in there." He insisted, eyes starting to tear up again at seeing his husband shake his head. "I need to know they're okay."

"We can't, love." Bin explained, holding on to him by the shoulders.

"Can't?" Eunwoo blinked at him, mouth pursed indignantly. "Don't tell me that. Those are our children in there!"

"It's against hospital policy, Eunwoo." Jinwoo thought it safe to drop the usual honorific in order to try and pacify his best friend. "Non-medical staff aren't supposed to go beyond those doors."

Instead of listening to reason though, Eunwoo lashed out at his husband in frustration. Why were they wasting time discussing this when there was one person in their group who had the power to overthrow any kind of rule? "You're the crown prince! You can tell them to let me in there. They won't say no to you."

Bin was silent, taken aback by the sudden demand. He had but a second to remind himself that his beloved was talking out of desperation and his own sense of helplessness. "Eunwoo, I don't think that -"

"Don't think. Just do! You're the most powerful person in this land. They'll do whatever you want!" His husband eyes took on an almost mad glint. "Bin, come on!"

"Majesty." Jinwoo interrupted, placing a hand on Eunwoo's arm. He hoped that by reminding his friend of his place in the scheme of things, it would prompt him to adopt a calmer disposition. "You being in there would only distract the doctors from their job. Please reconsider."

But Eunwoo shook free from their hold. "I don't care! I want to see them! Bin!" His eyes were pleading, silently prompting the other into action. He ignored the internal battle that was going on inside his partner's head, evidenced by the way his eyes shifted to the side and the clenching in his jaw. 

Bin knew his husband was right. If it came right down to it, no one woud refuse a direct request from the country's future king. No one would dare. The Bin he was, before Eunwoo had become such a permanent fixture in his life, had no such qualms about using his influence. In fact, he thought that it was his god-given right to always get his way of things - the privilege he enjoyed with his birthright. Eunwoo changed all that. Made him realize that true power was not about getting what you wanted, but wielding that power for the good of others. And once he truly understood and accepted what it meant to be a ruler, his needs and wants - as well as those closest to him - would have to come last.

As much as it broke his heart to ever deny him anything; because when Eunwoo asked it was never for much; Bin had to stand his ground. "No, love. I can't do that."

Shock and disappointment immediately marred Eunwoo's face."No! You have to -" The royal consort tried to push past but Bin refused to budge, wrapping his arms around him instead. "Let me go, Bin. Let me go! Let me go!" He struggled, squirming in his husband's hold until he could free his arms enough to pummel him ineffectively in the chest. "I want to see them. Let me go! Let me go!"

Jinwoo sprang into action, trying to pry the couple apart. "Your majesty! Please calm down. Don't hurt each other."

Bin gave Jinwoo a look that made the assistant step away, albeit reluctantly. Even Jisung turned his back, walking away from the group to give them privacy; sensitive to needs of the royal consort to vent. Bin accepted all the blows, taking the other male's pain and the frustration on to himself, enduring all until Eunwoo finally fell back against his chest sobbing, tired and spent. 

The same hands that had been inflicting the blows, now clutched at his jacket desperately. "Binnie..."

"Eunwoo. Sssshhh. Darling, it's okay." Bin had to hold back his own tears at hearing the love of his life murmur constant apologies into his ear, but was nevertheless relieved that he seemed to be calming down. He led him to the row of chairs, mumbling a quiet thanks at Jinwoo for having a bottle of water and a fresh handkerchief at the ready. 

After taking several gulps of water and cleaning up, Eunwoo allowed himself to be pressed back into his husband's side, head resting on Bin's shoulders with his puffy eyes trained at the operating room door. It was inordinately quiet in their area; their security probably having coordinated with the hospital to keep their particular floor in virtual quarantine. Normally, Eunwoo would balk at all the fuss and preference they were receiving already uncomfortable with the frills and furbellows that being royalty entailed, but he was just too emotionally drained at the moment to care about anything other than what was happening in surgery.

He barely looked up when the elevators chimed open and Sanha, Minhyuk and their former bodyguard, Lee Dongwook spilled out. The latter looked particularly frazzled; a rare sight for a man with a military career. His shirt was ed, the customary black tie hanging lopsidedly on one side of his rumpled linen shirt. He walked towards the group with a slight limp; barely noticeable after hundreds of hours on therapy but for those who knew him before his injury; an unfortunate byproduct of his earlier occupation.

"Dongwook." Bin carefully untangled himself from his husband, before rising up to greet the man who had been on his personal protection detail for years until his bum leg forced him into another, safer line of work.

"Majesties." Dongwook gave them a polite bow before taking the hand that the crown prince had extended to him.

"Please sit with us." Bin gestured to the seat beside Eunwoo before resuming his position. He watched his childhood friend; the next best thing he had to an actual older brother; take his husband's hand and give it a comforting pat, making Eunwoo burst into a new wave of tears.

"Wookie-hyung..." He managed to mumble before disappearing within the other man's arms.

It was a term of endearment both had gotten used to since Eunwoo was but a small boy and an enamored playmate of the future king. Dongwook embraced the royal consort, knowing all too well the pain and worry he was going through. He wasn't that much different, though his military training kept him from breaking down in tears. It was his wife in there, fighting to live... fighting not just for herself but for the two souls dependent on her survival. The future heirs to the country's monarchy.  

And he, with all his tactical instruction and expertise in hand to hand combat, was completely powerless to help her.

"They'll be alright." Dongwook said the words, wishing fervently that he was correct. He shared a look with the crown prince, over Eunwoo's shoulders and felt his heart sink as Bin's expression turned even more somber. "They'll be alright." He repeated the words again, more to convince himself than the man he was rocking comfortingly against his chest.

"They will be." Bin affirmed with a nod of his head. And though his voice sounded firm and resolute, his face didn't seem so sure.

"Has there been any news?" Sanha plopped down on the seat next to Jinwoo, eyes wide with trepidation. He was asking but he wasn't really anticipating the answer. He hadn't even managed to changed out of his soiled suit yet; running off to pick Dongwook and Minhyuk from the military academy. The knees of his khaki pants were turning brown from where they were soaked with amniotic fluid while he tried to revive Mirae. Minhyuk settled beside him, carefully folding the jacket that Dongwook had all but forgotten to pick up when he saw a panicked Sanha outside their classroom door. Dressed in his dark, pea green fatigues with the upper part rolled down and tied to his waist; exposing a well-built chest clad in a tight gray tshirt; Minhyuk draped an arm over the backrest of Sanha's chair, looking casually possessive.

Jinwoo shook his head, eyeing the way the two cozied up to each other. If it wasn't a tense situation already, he would have smirked knowingly. After literally years of denying there was, in fact, an attraction brewing between them, it was nice to see the two final single members of their group find one another. But it also made him miss his other half; Myung Jun probably trying his best to man the royal household and quell any unneccessary chatter from the servants about the whereabouts of the royal couple, at least until they've got everything sorted out.

"Any of the doctors come out yet?" Minhyuk's low voice rumbled through their quiet group, making Jinwoo wince.

"Not yet." Bin replied, gathering a sniffling Eunwoo back against his chest. "How long have they been in there?"

"Not long." Jinwoo murmured. In truth, he really couldn't be sure. His sense of minutes and hours were skewed once he was told he had to rush to the hospital. He glanced over at Dongwook and sighed. It was disconcerting, to say the least, to witness one of the strongest people he knew show vulnerability. The former bodyguard was slumped forward, head clutched between his hands like it was he was trying to hold it up.

Sanha leaned over to whisper into Minhyuk's ear. After what seemed like a brief, whispered discussion Minhyuk stood up awkwardly looking around. "I'm going to get everyone some coffee and something to eat."

"Do you need me to go with you?" Sanha's voice sounded uncommonly meek. Normally boisterous to a fault, the youngest was subdued that day; solemn even. Brought up in a pretty much sheltered environment and coddled by all of them, Sanha had never had anything remotely traumatizing happen to him. At least, that is, until today.

Minhyuk shook his head, nodding towards Sanha's cousin-in-law. "Stay with Dongwook-hyung. I'll be fine. I'll just -"

The door of the operating room burst open and the diminutive figure of Doctor Min Hyejung stepped through. She removed the mask from her face, tucking it inside the pocket of her light green scrubs. She appeared blessedly free of blood stains, which they mostly took as a good sign, but her serious mood kept them from being too hopeful.

"Yoon Mirae's family?" She was directing her question at Jinwoo and Minhyuk; people she was probably seeing for the first time that day; and didn't want to have to reveal anything sensitive in front of mere acquaintances.

Dongwook shot out of his seat and approached her, unmindful of the slight hobble in his step. Bin, Eunwoo and the others still seated all followed suit. Everyone was both anxious and dreading the news she was about to deliver. 

Dr. Min sighed, rubbing at her eyes, before continuing turning to her side to address Mirae's husband directly. "Your wife collapsed earlier this morning apparently while preparing for her scheduled check up. It was triggered by a rapid drop in her blood sugar level, resulting in a hypoglycemic attack. Now, we're still not sure if it was because she'd forgotten to eat breakfast or if it was because her water broke."

"I hadn't bothered to check if she had her meal this morning." Dongwook mumbled, pale and guilty. "I had an early breakfast meeting with some colleagues at the flight academy. She was still in bed when I left. I didn't even text or call to ask."

The doctor nodded in understanding. "The problem with gestational diabetes is that symptoms for hypoglycemia could be misconstrued as similar to the nausea or hot flashes or cold sweats from being pregnant. When Sanha found her, she was already incoherent and groggy. And when the EMTs arrived and checked, her blood sugar was dangerously low for someone in her condition."

She looked at every

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter