Final

A Winter Diary

 

A Winter Diary

 

Youngjae stared out of the window as he sipped on the hot chocolate he made earlier. The weather is getting chillier as days gone by but thanks to the warmth provided by the lighted fireplace (and also thanks to the grey knitted sweater he's wearing and the fluffy warm blanket wrapping around his body), the freezing weather is at least tolerable. To tell the truth, his body is sensitive to coldness but ironically, winter is his most favorite season.

 

Why?

 

That’s because he has so many good memories in relation to winter.

 

Youngjae silently watched a couple of children were playing on the side road; a smile unwittingly spread on his face as past memories suddenly crossed his mind; well, specifically, the thought of a certain someone breaching his head.

 

Youngjae can never forget the first time he met a boy named Jung Daehyun.

 

Back then, at the age of five, Youngjae was that typical quiet kid who loves to watch rather than play. He remembered grumbling as his mother dragged him out of the house and forced him to play in the snow, socializing with other kids in the neighborhood. Youngjae knew that it was just an excuse for his mother to go out and mingled with the neighborhood aunties, tossing gossips one after another.

 

The five year old Youngjae let out a sigh, opting to stand quietly next to a tree, watching the other kids playing. It was a few moments later, a pile of snow suddenly fell on him, covering his head with the freezing fluffy snow.

 

A thud was heard from behind him and Youngjae whirled around, only to be met with a tan-skinned boy, probably around his age. The guilty expression painted on the boy's face clearly showed that he was the culprit. Youngjae narrowed his eyes on the boy.

 

"I'm so sorry! I didn't see you down there earlier. Thank God I didn't land on you." The tan-skinned boy frantically apologized, waddling nearer to Youngjae and proceeded to dust the snow on Youngjae's head with his small hands.

 

"You were on the tree???" Youngjae squeaked in disbelief. He glanced upwards and gawked at the height.

 

Just how did this kid managed to climb that thing?

 

The other boy chuckled, nodding his head as he dusted the remaining snow on Youngjae. Once done, he took a good look at the latter; noticing how red the fluffy cheeks had become.

 

"Your cheeks are so red. They look like apples." The boy commented before he slipped his hand under his jacket, bringing out two hot packs from the inner pocket. He then gently placed the hot packs on each side of Youngjae's reddened cheeks, causing pleasant warmth to spread on the cold skin. Youngjae wordlessly stared at the boy in front of him; the latter grinned widely as his hands cupped Youngjae's cheeks with the hot packs.

 

"Feels better?"

 

Youngjae bashfully nodded his head, eliciting wider grin from the boy in front of him.

 

"Good. By the way, I'm Daehyun. You?" Daehyun introduced himself.

 

"I'm Youngjae." Youngjae shyly uttered. Daehyun smiled a gummy smile.

 

Youngjae never thought a person could smile that beautifully. Youngjae kinda likes the winter and snow from that day onwards. Because on that day, he realized that one can also feel the warmth despite the freezing cold weather.

 

 

 

 

 

As if it was fated, the both of them ended up in the same class during elementary school. It was that one day, the class teacher taught them to make a simple paper snowflake and told them to give the paper snowflake to whoever they like. Youngjae worked hard to make one and he wished to give that to Daehyun. He even scattered some silver glitters on it because Daehyun once said that he really like the color silver; it's a manly color, as Daehyun quoted.

 

Youngjae admired his masterpiece one he finished it, a satisfied smile was etched on his face. He can't wait to give it to Daehyun after school ended. He really hoped that Daehyun will like it.

 

The class soon ended and they were walking home side by side, both bundled up in their jackets with knitted scarves wrapped around their necks. Despite being bundled up like that, Youngjae can't help but shivered whenever a rush of cold wind slapped his cheeks.

 

Daehyun noticed that and he halted his steps, grabbing Youngjae's shoulder and turned the body to face him. He removed the scarf around his neck and wound it around Youngjae's instead, providing more warmth for the shivering boy. Youngjae could feel his cheeks reddened from the gesture, his hand unknowingly clutched tighter on the strap of his bag, where the paper snowflake he made before was at.

 

Youngjae was about to give the paper snowflake to Daehyun when a girlish voice called Daehyun's name.

 

The both of them turned to see Ahreum, a girl from their class jogged towards their direction. The girl stopped, taking a deep breath before she extended her arms; a navy blue paper snowflake in her hands.

 

"It's for you, Daehyun." Ahreum shyly said.

 

Daehyun accepted with a brief 'thanks' and the girl happily giggled before running back to where she came from. Youngjae stared at the paper snowflake in Daehyun's hand, watching as the boy put the gift into his bag.

 

Youngjae didn't know why, but he felt upset over the fact that Daehyun accepted the girl's gift. He unconsciously pouted at the unpleasant feeling.

 

"Oh yeah, that reminds me." Daehyun suddenly said; his hand was busy searching for something in his bag. He then pulled out a yellow paper snowflake out of his bag.

 

"Here, it's for you." Daehyun said as he handed the yellow paper snowflake to Youngjae. Youngjae blinked his eyes, confusion was written all over his face.

 

"Why are you giving this to me?" Youngjae asked as he took the gift. Daehyun grinned.

 

"The teacher said to give it to the person we like. I like you the most, Jae. Of course I'm giving it to you!" Daehyun cheerily said as he spread his arms wide to show how much he likes the other boy. Youngjae could feel himself blushing but a smile crept on his face.

 

"I like you too, Daehyunnie!" Youngjae exclaimed; his eyes crinkled into a pair of beautiful crescents as his lips stretched into a smile. The unpleasant feeling he had before disappeared into nothingness, leaving warmth and fuzzy feeling inside him.

 

See, Daehyun has this magic to make him feel warm and Youngjae absolutely love that part of Daehyun. Once they reached home, Youngjae gave the paper snowflake he made before to Daehyun...with an extra gift of a peck on the latter's cheek.

 

 

 

 

 

Even after a few years later, the friendship is still going strong. It was during winter when they were 16, the two best friends curled closely to each other on the couch, watching the numerous versions of 'A Christmas Carol' under the same warm blanket. It was a routine for them each time Christmas came along. Youngjae was watching the movie silently, sipping on his favorite hot chocolate topped with a couple of spongy marshmallows.

 

They were getting to the part where the spirit showed Scrooge the scene where Bob Cratchit and his family mourning the passing of Tiny Tim when Youngjae felt a finger poking his cheek. Youngjae turned to his right and met with Daehyun's soft eyes staring at him; a pleasant smile carved on the latter's lips.

 

"Your cheeks are red...reminds me the time when we first met." Daehyun chuckled. Youngjae on the other hand, staring unblinkingly at the other.

 

"Are you still cold?" Daehyun asked. Youngjae could feel his cheeks heating up but he nodded his head. The snow was falling hard outside, making the weather chillier than ever. Daehyun smiled.

 

"Wanna hug?"

 

Youngjae bit his lips.

 

"Yes please." He meekly said.

 

Daehyun removed the blanket and pulled Youngjae into his embrace, settling the petite body in between his thighs. He then grabbed the blanket once again and wrapped it around their bodies and back-hugged the other male.

 

"Better?"

 

Youngjae could feel Daehyun's warm breath on his ears as the latter whispered the word. Youngjae replied with a shy 'Un', once again sipping on his chocolate drinks to cover his blushing face. He could feel his heart beating a little faster than before.

 

His hot chocolate had turned cold but that's okay.

 

Because Daehyun was there to warm him up.

 

 

 

 

 

Moving along to when they were 20, the two best friends finally got the chance to study in their chosen universities. Unfortunately, the universities they've chosen were far from each other so the only chance they got to meet was during the season breaks.

 

It was during winter break that the two of them finally came back to Seoul. That one particular night, a few days before Christmas, Daehyun suggested that they should stroll around the city; to feel the Christmas at its fullest, as he said. Daehyun and Youngjae walked side by sides, watching several salesperson offered their cookies and breads, some even go as far as to wear costumes to promote their things. The costume is kinda handy during winter though.

 

The slowly walked through the sea of people, watching the colorful lights and typical red and green Christmas decorations adorned the buildings. Youngjae stumbled on his feet when a man accidentally knocked him on the shoulder. But thanks to Daehyun's quick reflex, Youngjae was able to regain his balance.

 

"Thanks." Youngjae mumbled. Daehyun smiled before he pulled the petite male to his other side, shielding the male from the fast-moving crowd. Daehyun then took Youngjae's dainty hand into his bigger ones.

 

"There, let's go." Daehyun cheerily said; his eyes crinkled as he smiled. Youngjae can't help but smile along.

 

"Yeah, let's go."

 

They walked silently through the night before deciding to stop at near the fountain. There were not as many people there as most of them gathered around the big Christmas tree, taking pictures with their family and friends. Youngjae glanced at his hand where his connected to Daehyun's. Daehyun still didn't let go of his hand. A smile unwittingly carved on Youngjae's lips.

 

"Jae..."

 

Youngjae lifted his face; his brown orbs met Daehyun's darker ones. Daehyun smiled before craning his neck, closing their distance, their faces were only inches from one another. Youngjae could feel Daehyun's warm breath on his face. His heart was thumping loudly against his rib cage.

 

"You have the right to push me away if you're not feeling the same..." Daehyun whispered. Youngjae gulped, his eyes never stopped staring into Daehyun's soft ones.

 

"It took you this long..." Youngjae uttered; his cheeks were blooming pink. A relief smile found Daehyun's face before he captured Youngjae's pink lips into his, tasting the sweetness he had been craving for ever since God knows when.

 

Daehyun released the lips after a few moments. He cupped Youngjae's flushing cheeks with the wide palm of his hands, chuckling at the sight of the other's pair of adorable cat-like eyes staring innocently at him.

 

"Thanks for waiting for this coward." Daehyun said. Youngjae genuinely smiled before snaking his arms around Daehyun's neck, capturing the latter's plump lips into another kiss.

 

The weather was freezing cold but their lips were warm enough to beat the coldness gnawing their skins.

 

 

 

 

 

Youngjae smiled at the thought of those sweet memories. He let out a soft gasp when a pair of arms snaking around his waist, bringing his body into pleasurable warmth.

 

"A penny on your thought?" A soft yet husky voice entered his ears. Youngjae smiled in contentment when Daehyun kissed his temple, feeling the plush lips against his skin.

 

"Nothing much. It’s just that I suddenly remember the reasons why I love winter so much." Youngjae replied, chuckling when Daehyun raised his eyebrows.

 

"Am I included then?"

 

Youngjae giggled as he placed the half-emptied mug on the table near him before he turn around and tapped his chin with his finger, pretending as if he was thinking hard.

 

"Hmmm, I'm not sure about that though." Youngjae playfully said. Daehyun grinned and booped Youngjae's nose. Then something caught Daehyun's attention from outside the window. Daehyun grinned wider, gesturing towards the window.

 

"It's the first snow."

 

Youngjae whirled around and true to Daehyun's words; the pure white snow is falling from the sky. A huge smile stretched on Youngjae's lips. It is one of the most awaited things during winter.

 

"I promised myself to do something really important when the first snow falls this year." Daehyun uttered. Youngjae turned his face; his eyes met Daehyun's.

 

"What is it?" Youngjae curiously asked. Daehyun smiled as he grabbed Youngjae's hands into his.

 

"I should've done this years ago but you know how much of a coward I am..." Daehyun nervously said but his eyes were still glued on Youngjae's round ones. Daehyun slipped his hand under the round collar of his baby blue sweater, pulling out the necklace he was wearing.

 

Youngjae was stunned when he saw there were two rings in the loop instead of a pendant. His mouth was gaping in disbelief and he could feel heat prickling from the back of his eyes. In no time, tears were starting to pool in his eyes, blurring his sight. He could still see the wide, genuine smile carved on Daehyun's lips, despite the blurry eyes.

 

"Will you take this coward as your husband and live the rest of your life with him?"

 

Youngjae smiled through his tears. He cupped Daehyun's cheeks and captured the lips into a kiss, pouring all his love through that little intimate gesture.

 

"Yes, I do." Youngjae whispered his reply. Daehyun smiled and pulled the latter nearer, treating himself into another sweet kiss.

 

Winter, to Youngjae, is a magical season where he can feel the warmth despite the wintry ambience.

 

And that what makes him treasures winter so much.

 

 

 

THE END <3