Unless Sacrifices are Made...

The World Will End Unless...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Commander, we want a transfer to the front lines." Chaeyoung said.

 

The commander pursed her lips and heaved a sigh. There was no use trying to talk to the alpha team. After all, it is made up of hardheaded adrenaline junkies who strived for perfection. But rather than work being their first motive of wanting to go to the front lines, the three of them had their own reasons.

 

The alpha team was previously made up of 6 members. Son Chaeyoung, youngest and the captain of the squad. Kim Dahyun, Myoui Mina, Hirai Momo, Yoo Jeongyeon and Im Nayeon, the oldest. However, after their recent success over the last evil of the world, there were 3 members left; Chaeyoung, Jeongyeon and Momo.

 

How this happened, only them and the commander knew. They lost their loved ones through tragedy and they wanted to go to the front lines to leave these problems behind.

 

The war between the soldiers and the demons has been a long one with both sides not showing any sign of backing down any sooner. However, they were recently lacking soldiers and that gave Jihyo lesser reason to not send them there. The demons were getting more powerful now that the blood moon was rising and the three knew that it might be their last fight.

 

Jihyo couldn't help but to chew on her nails while looking at the physical stats of the alpha team while they fought. She had trained each and every one of them to not let their feelings get the better of them but it wasn't the case.

 

"ing bastards! Just die already!" Jeongyeon screamed as she fired her AKs at the elemental demons.

 

Channeling all her rage into her fights, she swung the of the gun at an earth elemental that appeared behind her, smashing's it's head and sending it crumbling to the ground.

 

Chaeyoung wasn't a good sniper for nothing. She was perched on one of the sniper towers, placing all her concentration on getting one shot kills while combing her other two members on the ground. Chaeyoung lived sniping because it forces her to concentrate on the moment. Distractions like sounds and painful memories were all forgotten when she was with her sniper rifle.

 

Meanwhile, Momo didn't seem to show any sign of emotion while she swings her dual katanas around but Jihyo could see the pain that were in her eyes every time she destroyed an elemental.

 

"Alpha! You three are performing worse than usual! If you can't get your thoughts together then I command you to return!" Jihyo yelled though the microphone.

 

"Sorry commander!" Jeongyeon replied.

 

"What did I say about letting emotions get to you?" Jihyo hissed.

 

"We will do better..." Momo uttered.

 

Suddenly, a loud roar echoed through the speakers.

 

"COMMANDER! We have detected a large amount of demonic energy!" One of the crew said.

 

"Bring up the live cams!" Another one shouted.

 

Almost everyone gasped when they saw a gigantic earth elemental towering over the soldiers. Some of them started to shoot at the beast while others started to flee.

 

"These bullets don't do anything! We need more fire power!" On of the captains reported.

 

Jeongyeon immediately switched out of her guns and dragged a rocket launcher on to her shoulder. With Momo's help as a stabalizer, Jeongyeon sent 9 rockets whizzing towards the elementals face. Chaeyoung, who have switched to a higher power sniper rifle, waited for the smoke to clear before aiming at its head. Once fired, the elemental howled in agony. This was Momo's cue to strike. She leaped off the tip of Jeongyeon's rocket launcher and sliced the boulder into rocks.

 

People raised their hands up to shield their eyes from the dust and dirt, looking to see if it was clear. There was silence but the atmosphere still had a sinister effect.

 

"Chaeyoung? Can you see anything?" Momo radioed in.

 

"No. The dust is too thick." Chaeyoung answered.

 

"Any demonic energy detected?" Jeongyeon asked.

 

"No. It seems like all the signals have disappeared." The command center replied.

 

"The war... is it... over?" One of the crew asked as he turned towards Jihyo.

 

The commander on the other hand, narrowed her eyes and looked at the screen. Something was still wrong about this.

 

Suddenly the computer alarms blared again.

 

"Oh no! We have an evil signature! I-it's bigger than before... it seems to be taking energy from the smaller elementals and collectecing it into one!" The crew yelled.

 

But an explosion followed. Sending rocks whizzing through the air at high speeds and kills some of the soldiers.

 

"Take cover!" Someone shouted.

 

Jeongyeon and Momo immediately ducked behind some concrete debris while Chaeyoung laid low. A ground shaking growl followed and an elemental was erected from the ground this one was different. Instead of an earth elemental, it was a mixture of fire, earth and water.

 

It sent a wave of water, tossing away cars and tanks like toys and softening the ground into mud which some of the soldier got stuck in.

 

"!" Jeongyeon cursed and started to fire her rockets again but those exploded mid air when it was met with the flames of the demon.

 

The elemental started to hurl boulders around the area. And it immediately cut off one of the signal towers. The people at base were panicking to find another one while Jihyo slammed her fist on the control panel in frustration.

 

"Commander? Commander?! We are cut off!!" Momo hissed.

 

All the soldiers were grounded on the spot while they took cover from the flames and flying boulders.

 

Chaeyoung took pulled the flap of her pocket and took out a picture, which she always kept with her — a picture of her and Dahyun.

 

---

 

"Be careful okay?" Dahyun hummed with that signature smile on her face.

 

Chaeyoung nodded her head and they both went separate ways.

 

Both were on a search and destroy mission. Terrorists had planted a bomb in a school building and help children hostage. Their job was to find the bomb in stealth mode while the other Special Forces negotiated with the terrorist as a distraction.

 

Chaeyoung and Dahyun were the only two soldiers that were good enough in terms of bomb diffusion skills to do the job. Dahyun had found the location of the bomb band radioed in hat she was going to handle it. Nobody knew what went wrong but the bomb ended up exploding. Chaeyoung was crushed but lucky for her, Dahyun wasn't dead.

 

The bad news was that Dahyun was in a coma due to the explosion. That incident haunted Chaeyoung since then. The reason she wanted to go to the front lines was to eliminate all the bad in this world. She couldn't protect Dahyun the last time so this was her chance.

 

---

 

She smiled while looking at it, ignoring the shaking and rumbling happening on the other side of the railing. But that smile was full of sadness because they were now fighting a losing battlez

 

"I'm sorry... unnie... I can't protect you..." Chaeyoung uttered while pressing the picture close to her chest.

 

"No! Chaeyoung!" Jeongyeon screamed when she saw a boulder flying towards the direction of the tower where Chaeyoung was.

 

Chaeyoung snapped out of her thoughts when she heard that faint call from all the rumbling but it was too late. The tower was starting to crumble. She started laughing to herself and looked at the sun.

 

"Chaeyoung!" She heard Jihyo's voice crackling through the weak signal.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter