Chewy Fish Cakes

Palette of Yellow and Grey

One fact about being in an all-boys school is that one tends to crush on another fellow boy. They'd be the gossip, get teased to each other by classmates, but that would be all. Nothing major. Korea was already warming up on the idea of homouality so it was fine. There was nothing to be ashamed of.

"Who? Who's the girl, Jimin?"

"That's hyung, Jungkookie."

"I'm asking for the name."

It was just another day in the classroom of SF203, a section of silly, teenage high school boys. Physical Education period just ended, and the others are coming back to the classroom after changing their tops into white t-shirts due to the sweat on their bodies. They had a couple of laps on the field. They're currently waiting for the next teacher to arrive.

Taehyung sat on his seat, pulling out his homework to be prepared for the next subject: History. His ears have perked up to the conversation Jimin just started. Apparently, Jimin said he 'might' have a date later with a girl from the school near the corner shop the trio usually go to. That trio is composed of Jeon Jeongguk, Park Jimin, and Kim Taehyung.

From left to right: Jungkook, Jimin and Taehyung

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Now that he thought about it, Taehyung wasn't exactly sure about Jimin's preferences when it came to his romantic partner.

"I always thought you like Yoongi-hyung."

"I agree with Tae."

It was agreeable, because they've always witnessed the way Min Yoongi moved around Jimin. Although it looked normal and the usual, the way Yoongi looks and the time it takes for Yoongi to remove his eyes from the younger one just makes the others feel like he does have feelings for Jimin. Jimin on the other hand, acts like he either returns the feelings or just his usual self. Until now, the whole mystery is not yet solved.

"Well I don't," said Jimin. At least now they know Jimin doesn't like Yoongi romantically. "Her name's Yoojung. I got a picture of her. Hold on a sec."

The two younger boys waited for Jimin before finding a screen with a picture of a short-haired girl, smiling at something or someone off camera and wearing the standard uniform of the girls in her school.

Choi Yoojung of IOI and Weki Meki

 

 

 

 

 

 

She looked pretty.

"Is she smaller than you?"

Jeongguk earned a punch from Jimin while Taehyung snickered at the sly comment.

"She is, but she can kick your any day." Jimin suddenly grinned, his eyes disappearing automatically. "She's an absolute angel."

Jeongguk proceeded to make off-handed comments, even questions as to "how she got attracted to someone like Jimin". The answers helped the younger boys think of Jimin's ideal type, and it did make sense for him to like her. According to Jimin, she's a dancer and an honor student. She also has a very bubbly personality that probably matches with Jimin's outgoing one. They might be a match-made in heaven too, by the sounds of it.

"Hey, you like dancers too, right, Jungkookie?"

"What made you say that?"

"You like that girl- uh Lalisa, if I'm correct? The one from the dance workshop last summer."

"I... no, not..." Jeongguk paused to ponder his words. Jimin raised an eyebrow while Taehyung patiently waited. "Yeah, but I don't see her often now so..." Jeongguk finally turned to Taehyung. "What's your ideal type, Tae?"

Taehyung tilts his head. It was his turn to ponder in his thoughts. And he seemed to be taking his precious time with no mean intentions such as annoying the other two. Even so, both Jimin and Jeongguk couldn't stop themselves from urging him to start talking. Taehyung didn't get the chance to answer because the history teacher finally entered, bag hanging by her elbows and a thick folder of papers in a free hand.

"Alright, go back to your seats, boys."

Taehyung sheepishly grinned at his best friends before shrugging and facing the front.

His ideal type was way different from theirs. And he wasn't sure if he should tell them or not.

Jimin had been his best friend for a long time. They were both eight years old when they had their first sleepover. Jeongguk joined the picture two years ago, with his bunny teeth and competitive personality, challenging Jimin to different dares and lifting Taehyung like he was nothing. They're often seen together like they're glued to each other; three peas in a pod who supported each other.

But the thing is, not all secrets should be shared with the most trustworthy person you can think of.

The particular secret Taehyung had was not very bad. It's just a simple crush on someone considered an authority figure. Who wouldn't find her charming and endearing?

The girl's name is Yoo Jeongyeon. The woman, rather.

And Kim Taehyung has a crush on her.

He likes her because she shows her true self. He has seen it, starting when she became his personal tutor throughout one summer. He was twelve years old at the time. She was eighteen.

Yoo Jeongyeon

 

She was still a student-teacher at that time. Every time she goes to his house, she brings a box of homemade biscuits- ones she baked beforehand, ones she bought from a bakery near her home. The biscuits were very good, actually. She and his parents would sometimes converse, eat lunch and discuss Taehyung's progress in certain subjects.

Honestly, Taehyung thought he didn't need the excessive study time for that whole summer, but if it weren't for his lazy nature, he wouldn't have spent so much time with Jeongyeon.

Miss Yoo, rather.

Miss Yoo was known for being the short-haired woman who challenges her students to think critically. From world history, to the history of Korea, she could teach. She had admittedly said she didn't do math or science, saying she had bad memory. Taehyung thought otherwise, for she could cite different years and the significant events that happened on that particular year. She's intelligent and wise for having such a wide knowledge.

He admired everything about her. He longed for her attention, because every history period she would call on students, ask them questions- and Kim Namjoon, or Kris Wu, or Oh Sehun, would immediately raise their hands and answer. She would laugh at Jung Hoseok's random aegyo, or Kim Seokjin's corny, cringe-worthy jokes. She always has her attention on the one speaking.

Attention from her was... something he would like to have. To be noticed even if he's doing nothing to be recognised.

It was pathetic, to want something as simple as that. He could pretend to not know anything, and she would keep teaching him.

The thing is...

She's untouchable.

He doesn't want to be so easy like that. He knew she wouldn't like someone so young as him. He's sixteen now. She's nearing twenty-three. And from what he has heard, she already has a boyfriend. A boyfriend that's not him.

And it seemed rather stupid to remain crushing on the untouchable Yoo Jeongyeon.

But he didn't care.

After every history period was lunch time. It was always like that on every Mondays and Thursdays. As the boys stood up, stretching limbs and searching for their wallets to go to the cafeteria or the nearby vending machines. Taehyung went straight to Miss Yoo before she could pack up the papers she had collected from them. Hopefully the other students weren't noticing their interaction right now.

"Miss Yoo."

"Ah, yes Taehyung?"

Her smile was blinding.

Smiling Yoo Jeongyeon

 

That smile turned to a little smirk as she said, "chewy fish cakes?"

His lips morphed into a boxy grin.

"You guessed right, miss."

He hands the little box of snack to the teacher. She accepts it willingly, with no hesitance at all.

"You shouldn't spend most of your money buying these snacks for me, Taehyung." She then cheekily adds, "but I'm not complaining."

"Well, any food for my favorite teacher, right?" Anything for you.

Miss Yoo shook her head, but her lips shaped back into that blinding smile of hers.

"Don't let the other teachers hear you."

They both ended up making short laughs. Miss Yoo finally gathered her things and made a little nod at Taehyung.

"See you next time."

And like that, he watched her leave; like every other time.

Tae~Tae's in love

 

And there, Jimin and Jeongguk finally popped up behind him just as Miss You left through the door.

"I'm feeling for a the grape flavour." Jimin says while Jeongguk nods.

"Come on Taehyung."