What About Now

Adagio

Hyomin’s pov


“Can you wait for a while? I am going to have a quick shower. I was practically living at the hospital these past few days”


Eunjung went to bathroom without waiting for my respond.


I am here again, at her place. This time, I took a good look at the surrounding as I wasn’t able to do so before.


There is a frame of picture on her bedside. A picture of her with someone, smiling brightly. I didn’t recognize the other person but I have the feeling she is the one at the hospital earlier.


I then continue looking around. Eunjung’s place didn’t look bad at all. It might be a lot smaller than mine with no living room but it gave a cosy feeling and everything is neatly arranged. Weird enough, I feel this place is more welcoming compared to my own house. It smell like home.


...


“What is your plan?” I ask as Eunjung done with her shower and dressing up.


“It was In Jung’s birthday 2 days ago, so I think to celebrate it today, now that I found you” Eunjung sit next to me on her bedside as she dry her hair. A fresh scent of her after shower lingers around me.


“Oh? Really?” I frown thinking about what a waste I missed the real day. I was a bit busy with work to visit her the whole past week.


“I visit her that day and gave her favourite drawing stuffs but she wasn’t look that happy” Eunjung stated.


“I will made up for her then today” I smile. It felt nice to be important in someone’s life.


...


“Cake?”


“Cupcake. Will you help me with it?” I asked, showing hopeful expression.


“Sure” Eunjung shortly answer.


We are now at my place as I ask Eunjung to bring me here to pick up a present for In Jung. I noticed that In Jung show interest in taking pictures so I want to give her one of my camera collection, the one that is easy for her to use.


Being at home, I think to bake cupcakes too, the least that I can do.


“You live here alone?” Eunjung ask.


I just nodded to her, humming my answer. I steal a quick glance at Eunjung, examining her face as she is busy arranging the muffin cups.


Eunjung lift her head, giving questioning look to me. “What?” She asked.


“You almost tears those cups” I said in silence, biting my lips, afraid if she feels offended with my comments but she chuckles to that.


“Sorry, these cups is way too soft and sticking firmly to each other” Eunjung shakes her head.


“Your girlfriend?” I ask after a brief silence among us.


“Huh?” Eunjung raised her brows, looking confuse but then she looks like she get it. “It’s my sister”


I keep my mouth shut as I busy loading the cupcakes into the oven and once I turn around, I realized Eunjung is staring at me.


“So you are friend with Doctor Lee?” Eunjung then asked.


“Yes” I shortly answer and sit across her, waiting for the cupcakes to be done.


Eunjung then slides few banknotes to me. “Please passed this to her. I don’t want to feel indebted even for a damn food”


So it was for food? I thought Qri help her with the medical expenses or anything similar. I mentally face palming myself upon my realization.


“I will try” I said, not declining.


“I know what are you thinking” Eunjung then said. “I didn’t joined the performance for fun. They paid me good money so I agree to it, for my sister” Eunjung said referring to the mysterious performance where they first met.


Is it showing on my face? It’s not my intention to think that way, I was just assuming based on what I heard. It’s not that I look down on her. Alright, I admit it, assuming is bad.


“I saved it” I said, trying to change the subject. “Your performance. You want to see it?” I smile to her.


“No way! No you didn’t” Eunjung shakes her head, laughing. “They record it?”


“Yes” I responded, quickly taking out the cupcakes from the oven and let it cool down. “Here” I signalled Eunjung to follow me to my bedroom.


I pick up my lappy from my desk and brings it to my bed, to have a larger space to show it to Eunjung.


Eunjung was hesitate to crawl on the bed to joined me. I patted the bed right next to me for her to climb in, it took her a while before she finally did.


As the video reached at when she approached me, I steal a glance at her. I caught her breath in extra air and fidgeting around while watching.


“You look cool there” I commented as we done watching it, showing thumbs up to her.


“That was embarrassing” Eunjung sigh. “Did they upload this on internet?” Eunjung then asked.


“Yea. Full length one. I cut your part” I stunned at my quickness in talking, didn’t realized that I was exposing my own act of cutting the video. I bit my lips, anxiously waiting on how Eunjung going to react to that.


Eunjung watched me as I start to avoid eyes contact. “Did you always brought strangers to enter your room?” She suddenly ask, causing me to furrows my brows. No, I didn’t just bring any strangers inside here.


“You are not strangers” I said silently under my breath, but enough for her to hear it.


“You still don’t know me well enough” She argue.


I don’t know Jiyeon well enough too but she has been sleeping with me here like couples of time and nothing happened. I almost rolled my eyes but sensing that Eunjung stares at me, I start to think maybe I was underestimating her. She look scary now.


I slowly look back at her and in a split of seconds, she flip me down and she is now on top of me. My eyes grew anxiously bigger as she draw her face closer, my heart pounds like crazy and weirdly I didn’t really try to escape. I did try but weakly. I don’t feel any energy on me.


“Do you like me?” She whispers. My heartbeats increase the speed as I feel her hot breath on my ears.


I close my eyes, almost trying to push her away but she back away first before I even did.


“Don’t brings any strangers to your room ever again” Eunjung said, leaving the room.


I quickly sitting up, trying to calm down my raging heart but it feels like won’t slowing down any moments.

 

What was that?!

 

...

 

Author’s pov

 

“How is things going with you and Hyomin?” In Na ask as she is having a cup of coffee with Jiyeon.

 

“Nothing much happened” Jiyeon said, playing with straw on her iced Americano.

 

“What are you waiting for?” In Na ask again.

 

“She didn’t feel the same with me” Jiyeon sip on her Americano and peeks at her phone. Hyomin haven’t replied to her last text.

 

“The way I see it, you have chance with her” In Na confidently stated. “You just need to speak up, before she is taken away from you. Before it’s too late”

 

“I feels like I need more time” Jiyeon close her eyes, feeling frustrated. She hate the fact that she think Hyomin didn’t really think of her with not replying. She know it is childish to feels this way but it’s weekends and it has been 3 hours she waited.

 

“I think you need inspiration” In Na responded. “You need to be urged” She added, snatching Jiyeon’s phone.

 

“Hey!” Jiyeon nervously try to get back her phone. She wonder what is In Na up to.

 

In Na smirked and start to type on something. “I’m not calling or texting her. Don’t worry”

 

Jiyeon sit back and just watch on In Na action.

 

“Listen to this” In Na give back Jiyeon’s phone and walk away leaving Jiyeon alone.

 

Jiyeon peek on her phone and there she saw a song paused on the screen.

 

It was Daughtry – What About Now.

 

Jiyeon plug in the earphone to her ears, listening to the song.

 

Shadows fill an empty heart

As love is fading

From all the things that we are

But are not saying

Can we see beyond the stars

And make it to the dawn?

 

Jiyeon close her eyes, listening attentively to the lyrics.

 

From all the things that we are but are not saying ringing on her ears.

 

Is that so? She ask herself.

 

What about now?

What about today?

What if you're making me all that I was meant to be?

What if our love never went away?

What if it's lost behind words we could never find?

Baby, before it's too late

 

The last part was repeated to the point it is also repeated on her mind even after the song ended.


Before it’s too late, what about now?