Adagio - Forgets Me Not

Adagio

Eunjung’s pov


It’s been a week after that incident.


Good thing is Hyomin is fine. Nothing serious, except that she temporarily lost her recent memories and get traumatized when she saw anyone unfamiliar to her.


Someone unfamiliar.


Which is unfortunately including me.


According to Dr Lee, Hyomin doesn’t remember the incident and even to far back of this whole year memories. Not reaching far to 2 years though, because she still recognized Jiyeon.


I was told that Hyomin’s temporary memory lost can last to few days, it can be weeks or even months. Only strong reminder can bring back her memories but how can I make her remember me again if she is afraid of me getting on her sight?


There was that one night I sneaks to her room just to watch her sleep but ended up causing an uproars to the scene as Hyomin struggling to run away in terror from me as she saw my face. I was advised by Dr Lee to not show up until Hyomin show sign of getting better and that really broke my heart.


I heard that she didn’t smile anymore.


And I can’t do anything to fix that.


...


Jiyeon’s pov


Today, like the other previous day, I saw it again, Eunjung standing outside Hyomin’s ward, leaning on the wall hopelessly.


For once, I want to pay her back for bringing me back to my sense last week when all that I think is disappearing from Hyomin’s life as I heard that Hyomin might not remember me and the whole incident. I afraid if I show up, Hyomin might regained her memory of the incident but as if Eunjung can read my mind that day, she is the one that firmly hold my arm, to make sure I am there when Hyomin open her eyes.


It was heart wrenching to see Hyomin remember me but not Eunjung and how Hyomin afraid of her in front of my eyes after all that I witnessed in between them. All that I think of now is to help both of them as that is the only way for Hyomin to get fully recover, to get away from her trauma.


At least that is the only thing I can do for Hyomin as someone that hold the special place in my heart and Eunjung as someone who help me a lot to stop blaming myself all this time.


I approached her and handed her an envelope, tapping on her arm and right before I enter Hyomin’s room, I told her “Talk to you later. Read it first”


...


Flashback


“Unnie, you are the program manager for the masked performance, right?” I asked In Na, remembering that the program was one of the activity under our company.


“Yes. I forgot to ask you how was it?” In Na gave anticipating look before return to look back at the files in front of her.


“That was a successful event” I honestly stated. “So I want to suggest another related event to you”


“What is it?” In Na show interest, putting aside the files that she has been focusing with and give full attention to me.


“Masked Singer Unmasked, like encore of the last one. Something like that” I raised my brows nervously, hoping for In Na to accept my suggestion.


“That was...” In Na narrowed her eyes, considering “...a good idea. Why are you suddenly interested?” She then ask.


“I want to help Hyomin” I answer weakly. “And Eunjung. Do you remember her? The one with me on the incident”


“Oh, the aggressive girl. If I late for a second to stop her, she might kill the guy” In Na nods impressively remembering the day. “So you are helping your rival now? And how can your idea help them?”


“Hyomin first met her at the performance. I think if she saw Eunjung singing again, she might regain her memory of Eunjung”


“Ah, now I know why is that my fault”


“Eh?” I couldn’t quite get her, so I show a face asking for explanation.


“Never mind. You was drunk at that time when you blame me. By the way, I have no problem with your suggestion but please send me a proper proposal and I want it fast. You can get help from my secretary if you are not familiar with how to do it”


And that is the kind of help that I can think of. I worked hard on it.


...


Eunjung’s pov


I open the envelope and saw a very familiar looking letter inside it. An invitation to the masked performance again. I read briefly and noticed some change on it which is I need to show my face this time.


Jiyeon walk out of Hyomin’s room right after I done skimming through the whole document.


“So, I hope you are good now for some business talk” Jiyeon lead the way for both of us finding suitable place to talk.


We ended up settling at the nearest cafe. Jiyeon told me her agenda and I think even if I need to do this for free this time, I will do it. If this can help Hyomin to find the missing piece of me from her memory, I won’t put any second thought on it.


“And my boss are very interested with you, so she was expecting for you to send application to our company” Jiyeon then told me a new shocking information.


“Excuse me?” I can’t quite get how is it even possible, so I ask for explanation.


“She is the one who save us on the incident, the one who drive, if you remember, the leader of Yoo Group, Yoo In Na, if you ever heard of her”


“Ahh” I know her. She is well known as every woman’s idol. I heard that she formed an agent to fight the violent against women, aside from having a big communication company.


I think for this one too, I have no reason to decline. I was once told Hyomin that I want to at least proud of myself before bringing her to next level in our relationship.


Before we leave the cafe that night, I gave a warm hug to Jiyeon, thanking her. I don’t really do hugging but I think Jiyeon is too kind to me, I feel the need to hug her.


“I will look forward to work with you” Jiyeon patted on my arm.


“Thank you for sticking by Hyomin’s side” I know she will go back to hospital to Hyomin after this. I smile bitterly thinking about how I can’t do it.


Jiyeon shake her head, smiling and walk away.


...


The Day


Unlike that day, today is nerve wrecking for me. I didn’t have chance to peek at the audience as I was busy preparing at the backstage. So, I don’t know where is Hyomin seated but Jiyeon assured me that she will put Hyomin on front row, close to the stage.


I was signalled by the organizer as the next performance. I walk carefully at the dark stage to the centre of it and once the intro of Adagio start playing, stage light flashing on me and there I saw Hyomin at the same spot as last time, looking uncomfortable but still looking straight to me. On her right side was Jiyeon, holding tight on her hand. While, the other side, I saw Dr Lee with my sister, Soyeon, smiling proudly at me.


I don't know where to find you

I don't know how to reach you

I hear your voice in the wind

I feel you under my skin

Within my heart and my soul

I wait for you

Adagio


A single tear make it way down my cheek as I saw how surprised Hyomin looks like as she heard I sang the first verse of the song. Her expression was just exactly like that day. I find her very attractive that day, a complete stranger crying over me singing. The difference is, today this song is for her, from the bottom of my heart.


All of these nights without you

All of my dreams surround you

I see and I touch your face

I fall into your embrace

When the time is right I know

You'll be in my arms

Adagio

 

I close my eyes and I find a way

No need for me to pray

I've walked so far

I've fought so hard

Nothing more to explain

I know all that remains

Is a piano that plays

 

If you know where to find me

If you know how to reach me

Before this light fades away

Before I run out of faith

Be the only one to say

That you'll hear my heart

That you'll give your life

Forever you'll stay


I hit as highest note as I can, gaining a loud cheers from the audience. There, I saw Hyomin’s tears streaming down her face with the sign of recognition in her eyes. I want to run and hug her but I can’t ruin the performance.


Don't let this light fade away

No no no no no no

Don't let me run out of faith

Be the only one to say

That you believe, make me believe

You won't let go


Like that day, I went down to Hyomin again, kneeling in front of her. The audience roars loudly, cheering for us. As if Hyomin know what is on my mind, she nodded to me.


Adagio


The light stage fade and that is when I feel Hyomin on my embrace. I grab her hand and leave to the backstage with her.


“Do you remember me?”


I stunned there once I realized I haven’t turn off the mic. I can hear buzz from audience which is the mix of confusion and laugh. Hyomin then show me her phone with Jiyeon’s message on the screen.


Shut her up.


My phone then buzz too, flashing Soyeon’s text, I show it to Hyomin.


Get a room you two.


We both laugh and I pull Hyomin for a long hug. “I miss you” I whisper to her, making sure it can be heard too.


...


Jiyeon’s pov


So, everyone are happy now, except me. Even Dr Lee is not even bother to hide her lovey dovey act with her partner right there next to me. Now that Hyomin left her seat, I feel so distracted watching the two lover.


In Na wave to me sending relief to my heart. It felt so nice to see someone else that is single and lonely like me. I patted a seat next to me where Hyomin left and signal her to join me.


“It was a big success” In Na commented as she sat next to me.


“Of course” I responded, sound uninterested and keep a sour face.


“Don’t tell me you are jealous. This whole thing is your own idea”


“I am not jealous. I am happy for Hyomin”


“Your face said differently”


“I always look like this” I try to argue and wrapped my arms on my body.


I then spend the rest of the time feeling devastated, thinking over and over again about my unlucky love life until I saw someone familiar entering the stage as next performer.


“Miss freaky secretary Baek Yebin?!” I put my palm covering my dropping jaw.


In Na look at me and hit me on my arm. “Why are you calling my secretary like that? She might looks nerdy but she is the best on our team”


“She look different” I commented, feeling amazed with her new look as she is wearing something that is not her usual formal attire.


Waiting for you flashing on the screen showing the title of song she going to sing. “You will wait no more” I bluntly said, gaining a smack from In Na.


“You sound like going back to your old self” In Na gave me disapprove look.


“Come on unnie. I am broken hearted and pathetic” I plead with my eyes, begging for sympathy.


“Alright. Up to you” In Na throw both of her hand upward, giving defeated look.


I smile and right when Yebin eyes meets mine, I winked at her, which earning me a smirk from her.


“Wow” I muttered under my breath and yea I guess I am back to my old self. I am cursed after all.


...


Hyomin’s pov


“Yo!” Jiyeon’s voice from my back surprised me. I turn around and there she stand holding a bouquet containing a lot of tiny blue flowers.


“For you” She handed me the flowers and sat across me on the cafe.


The blue flowers somehow gave me deja vu feelings of the dream I had when I was unconscious after the incident that I failed to remember until today. Everyone said it is the best for me to not remember, so no one told me what happened. I completely regain my memory now but not the memory of the incident.


I was having a long trip on that dream, having wonderful time with someone, which I don’t remember who is it.


“I came by to say good bye to you. I am going to be away for quite long time. Do you know this flower name?” Jiyeon ask.


I actually don’t know but the person on my dream at that time told me it was “Forgets-me-not” I answer her. I wonder if it actually Jiyeon in my dream. This blue flowers somehow confirming it was her.


“That’s right. Don’t forget me” Jiyeon rose from her seat, pulling me close for a long hug and then she walk away, leaving me alone with the blue flowers.


Maybe Jiyeon was my past and that dream was a sneak peek to it. That explained the affection that I got for her all this time. What a waste I forgot about the detail of the dream. The only thing that I remember is this flower.


Of course I won’t forget you.


While I was on my train of thought, standing absent-mindedly looking at the flowers on the table, a pair of arm suddenly hugging me from behind. I almost push the person away but her familiar scent stop me from doing so. I turn around and saw the face of love of my life grinning at me.


“Why are you biting that?” I ask, pointing to a rose on her lips.


“For you” She said struggling to not dropping it.


“Thank you” I took it and peck on her cheek, ignoring the stares from around us.


“I see you already got bunches of flowers before me” Eunjung loosened her hug and sit across me.


“It’s from Jiyeon” I said, putting the rose in between the forgets-me-not flowers. The rose stand out as the only red flower among the blue.


“If it’s from Jiyeon, then it’s okay” Eunjung said, leaning back on her chair, watching me.


“I love you” I said, reaching for her hand and put it on my face.


“I love you more” She responded, pulling my hand close to her lips and kissed the back of it lovingly.


On the distant inside the cafe, I saw someone familiar smiling at me, nodding approvingly and I recognize her as Jeon Boram halmeoni. I mouthed ‘thank you’ to her, for now that I found my answer and like that day, she disappear into thin air right after.

 

 

-The End-

 

____________________________________________________________

 

Note : This is the link to the awesome song which lead to this fic -> Adagio Please listen to it. Till we meet again!