No Denying

Love Waits

 

"I don't have much time left." Hyungsik said sliding over a piece of paper to her across the table with a solemn look on his face.

"What do you mean? Where have you been all day? The doctor's? what is this? Is something wrong with you?" Boyoung asked with concern in her voice. She picked up the paper to scan its contents.

He gave a little chuckle. As it dawned on her what he was talking about.

"Oh, this! So you know the date already..." Her voice trailed off as she continued to scan the paper. 

"Yes," He acknowledged with a sigh. "I'll be going into the army in a few months."

"You're sitting too far away come and sit here next to me." Hyungsik said patting the space on the couch next to him.  They were in a corner of a quiet coffee shop in the neighborhood. Boyoung grinned and hopped up from her seat and practically bounded to sit next to him.  She looked around to make sure no one was watching and snuggled up to him, wrapping her arms around his waist and giving him a sweet smile. He grinned back and patted her head. 

"How do you feel about it now that you know the date you'll have to enlist?" 

"You know I'm not looking forward to it. I had my experience during 'Real Man' days and that wasn't easy.  Now, I have you too whom I'll be leaving behind..." He let out a sigh. 

Boyoung didn't say or ask anything else and they just stayed in the same position enjoying each other's warmth and company. They've been together now for close to 2 years.  They've had to do a lot of sneaking around and it hasn't been easy avoiding each other and pretending to be on casual terms, but they managed to make it through all those tough times. They've always managed to be there for each other - they were each other's best friend and lover. They would share and talk about anything and everything. He was her rock and constant; she was his everything.

But whenever it came to talking about his time to enter the army it became more like the elephant in the room. Something that was there but they never really wanted to talk about. 

Sitting there and knowing that in a few months time they would'be be able to have this kind of moment, it just felt too overwhelming to talk about. 

Hyungsik cleared his throat and took out his phone to check the time. "We're having dinner with our friends this evening, I asked Kim Jin Soo to join us again." 

Boyoung sat up and took her handbag to find her phone, "I'll remind Bomi and the rest again.

"Jin Soo's such a great friend he actually has a work appointment but he's choosing to join us."  Hyungsik continued on about his friend. " He has a stable job plus he's already done with his army duty. He has a great personality too. I trust him a lot."  He observed her closely as he was saying this. 

"Uh-huh that's nice. Anyone would be lucky to have him as their boyfriend." She replied as she continued to rummage through her bag looking for her phone. 

Hyungsik looked at her, after all this time even in her simple candid acts she was just so beautiful. Her hair falling over her face, her nose, those lips and now her eyebrows burrowed in search of her phone. She deserved all the happiness. He hated seeing her sad and worse when he is the cause of the sadness. 

He lifted the piece of paper on the table and took her phone "It's here babe."  She glanced up and rolled her eyes at herself. As she reached to take the phone from him he pulled her in by her waist and kissed her - a deep lingering kiss. Her eyes widened from surprise, slowly closed as she also sunk into his arms and into his kiss. She would normally have backed away and protested knowing they were in public, but she knew that he was  conflicted even though he didn't say it. She kissed him back just as deep as her arms found their way around his neck. She wanted him to know and feel the she was here for him. That she loved him.

_______________________________________

There was laughter around the table at the restaurant as everyone chatted away catching up over their meal and drinks. Hyungsik looked around at the people present and gave a sigh of relief knowing that even if he wasn't around she would still have this group of friends to be with her. 

"Omo! I'm so sorry!" Boyoung exclaimed as her hand knocked over her glass of wine and spilled over the table and onto Hyungsik's friend, Jin Soo.  She got her napkin and started to dab the spilled wine on the table and also Jisoo's clothes. Jisoo held her writst and laughed as he took the napkin out of her hand. "It's ok. Sit down. You're so flustered you might knock over another glass of wine. Wah, Hyungsik is right you can get a little clumsy. But don't worry, I'll help clean up your mess while he's away." Jin Soo joked. Their friends laughed. They had also just finished talking about Hyungsik's letter he had received from the army.

"Yah, Hyungsik. What have you been telling Jin Soo about me behind my back?" Boyoung playfully hit him on the arm. He picked up his glass of wine and gave out a forced laugh. Boyoung could sense his brooding mood. She could tell he wasn't himself but she tried her best to stay cheerful. 

After a few minutes Hyungsik got up from the table and excused himself. "I have a busy day tomorrow so I need to get going. You guys please go ahead and have fun. Thanks for tonight. Jin Soo, can you help take Boyoung back? It's still early, you guys don't have to end the night just because I'm leaving." He gave a smile and put his hand on Boyoung's shoulder. "Let me know when you get home."He told her. He picked up his keys and phone and headed out.

Byoung quickly got up and grabbed her handbag. "Sorry, I'm going to leave now too." 

"I'll send you back." Jin Soo said.

"It's alright" Boyoung replied I'll try and catch Hyungsik on the way out so he can send me back. You guys please stay and enjoy. Her friends said a hearty farewell and she hugged Bomi goodbye as she rushed out the door. She saw Hyungsik walking towards the car and she called out his name. He turned around.  She couldn't read the expression on his face. "Hyungsik-ah," she held his hand when she finally caught up to him. "Send me home. I want to go home with you." He silently turned towards his car and led her her hand still in his. He opened the door for her and let her in. silently helping her with her seat belt and closing the door.

They had small talk as he drove her home. Boyoung didn't want to pry or pressure him to talk even though she knew he had something on his mind. She wanted to give him his space too. He was rarely like this. And she knew he had his reasons. He would talk about it with her when he was ready. 

So she started talking about other things. He just nodded and answered with one or two words. "Jin Soo's funny and such a life of the party. No wonder you guys get along so well." She tried to start the conversation again. "We're here." He cut her off. He stopped the car in front of her apartment and stared straight ahead. "Thank you for today and sending me back, Hyungsik."  Boyoung leaned forward and gave him a kiss on the cheek. His fists whitened as he clenched the steering wheel harder. She gave one last glance at him and opened the door to the car.

She stared at the car as Hyungsik drove off. A tear dropped down her cheek and she quickly wiped it away. 

Hyungsik looked back once through the rear view mirror as he drove off.. He hated doing this to her. He hated feeling like this. But maybe it was time she got used to being without him.