Final

Pink Carnations

 

Pink Carnations

 

Every morning, Daehyun would wake up with his lover in his embrace. It’s a routine he adopted since a month ago; he would wake up before Youngjae and using those brief moments to admire the sleeping face of his lover. A smile etched on his face whenever Youngjae let out a contented sigh; the latter would snuggle closer to his chest, seeking warmth from his body. At times, Daehyun chuckled to himself whenever the younger male mumbling something incoherent in his sleep.

 

To him, Youngjae looks adorable like that. Daehyun’s eyes softened the moment Youngjae stirred from his sleep; the latter’s eyelashes would flutter, eyes squinting as the morning sunlight teased the slit of his eyes. Daehyun would make sure that he had the brightest smile painted on his face so that it’ll be the first thing his lover would wake up to. It’s the same thing each morning, Youngjae would find it difficult to open his eyes but when he did; his pair of lips would pull into a soft smile.

 

“Good morning.” Youngjae greeted; his voice was still hoarse from the sleep. Daehyun kissed the pair of delectable lips before uttering a reply of ‘Morning gorgeous’ towards the person in his embrace. Youngjae chuckled, shaking his head at the cheesiness Daehyun had displayed so early in the morning.

 

“Let’s wash up and I’ll make breakfast.” Daehyun suggested. Youngjae smiled and nodded his head. Daehyun kissed Youngjae’s crown before he reluctantly released the younger from his embrace. The both of them rose from the bed and headed off to the toilet to wash up.

 

That’s how their morning started each single day.

 

= = = = = = = = = =

 

It took a lot of practice but after so much effort, Daehyun managed to whip a decent breakfast for his lover. Youngjae was capable of doing it himself; in fact, he’s the expert of the two. But seeing how eager Daehyun was to make breakfast for him, he just let the older be. It’s nice to be pampered once in a while anyway. Daehyun placed a plate filled with chocolate chip pancakes in front of Youngjae before he whirled around to grab the coffee pot and poured the content into the mugs.

 

The both of them would sit opposite to each other, chattering over their breakfast as they planned on what should be done on that day. It was a Saturday morning and they planned to have a little date on their own. Movie sounds good and having lunch in a nearby café afterwards sounds like a splendid idea.

 

That’s how they decided on how to spend their free time during the weekend.

 

= = = = = = = = = =

 

“Here you go sir, a set of Combo A. Enjoy your movie.” The girl handed a large-sized popcorn and drinks to Daehyun. Daehyun offered a polite smile as he uttered thanks towards the girl before making his way towards where Youngjae was. It was still early but since it was Saturday, a lot of people came to the mall. Daehyun spotted Youngjae who was leaning against the wall in a distance; the latter was awkwardly standing alone amidst a few pair of couples. Daehyun jogged towards the younger, a happy grin painted on his face.

 

“Did you wait long?” Daehyun asked; his eyes crinkled into crescents when he smiled. Youngjae couldn’t help but smiled along. He shook his head as he uttered a soft ‘No’ as a reply. Daehyun offered the drink in his hand to the younger.

 

“Here, have some.” Daehyun said, but the smile on his face faltered when Youngjae didn’t take the drinks in his hand; instead the younger seemed to contemplate on something. Youngjae kept glancing to his left. Daehyun followed the younger’s line of sight and a sigh escaped his lips once he registered the cause.

 

It’s happening again.

 

To his right side, a couple was staring at them with judging eyes and they didn’t even bother to hide the fact that they’ve been talking about him and Youngjae; the exchanging of whispers and leering glances was an obvious evidence that they were the topic of the conversation.

 

“Don’t mind them, babe. Just let them be.” Daehyun said. He nudged Youngjae with his elbow, signaling the younger to move away from these toxic people. The both of them moved to another spot where it is quite isolated. That’s better though. At least they wouldn’t have to put up with those encroaching eyes.

 

= = = = = = = = = =

 

Daehyun should have expected this. The event before didn’t stopped there. As the both of them were having lunch in a nearby café, it happened once again. All they did was minding their own business and trying to make this date enjoyable for them. But no, they couldn’t. Not with these people staring at them with such eyes, whispers were thrown here and there around them. If it wasn’t for Youngjae’s warm fingers rubbing his clenched fist, Daehyun would’ve taught these people some lessons.

 

Daehyun lifted his face; his stern eyes met Youngjae’s soft ones. Daehyun’s heart softened, the pair of dark orbs was begging him to forget and forgetting was what Daehyun did. He can’t afford to put more damage to this date.

 

= = = = = = = = = =

 

They went back to their apartment. It was a brief date and after what happened, it’s the best to call it a day. Daehyun unlocked the door to their apartment, opening the door wide for Youngjae to pass through. He closed the door and walked towards the living room with the older male tailing closely behind him.

 

“You’re home.”

 

Daehyun was startled when a new yet familiar voice greeted him.

 

“Yongguk, Himchan. What are you guys doing here?” Daehyun asked as he took a seat on the double seater couch opposite to the two. Youngjae silently followed and sat next to the older.

 

“Where have you been, Daehyun?” Himchan asked, his face was painted with concern. Daehyun glanced at Youngjae before responding.

 

“I was out on a date with Youngjae. Why?” Daehyun asked, puzzled.

 

Yongguk and Himchan were exchanging glances. A deep sigh left Yongguk’s lips while Himchan on the other hand, biting his trembling lips; his eyes were glistening with unshed tears. Daehyun stared at the two males in befuddlement.

 

“Daehyun…please. Stop this…” Himchan uttered in a small voice, tears streaming down his cheeks. “Don’t do this…”

 

Daehyun’s forehead creased in in confusion. He glanced at his lover beside him, who had his head bowed down as if avoiding any eye contacts with him before he faced the older two once again.

 

“What are you saying? Stop what? I don’t understand.” Daehyun was feeling agitated. He can’t understand why do Yongguk and Himchan acted like that; as if he had gone insane just because he went on a date with Youngjae.

 

“Jung Daehyun, Youngjae has gone. He’s gone. He’s no longer in this world so please…” Yongguk rubbed his face in exasperation, “…please wake up…” he begged.

 

“What are you guys saying?! He’s here, beside me.” Daehyun shouted as he rose from his seat; aggravation rushed through his blood. He turned to face his lover, his lips were trembling as he uttered the next words, “Babe, what nonsense are these guys spouting?” His voice was shaky; as if begging for Youngjae to deny Yongguk’s words.

 

Youngjae lifted his face. Tears were pooling in the dark orbs and a sad smile etched on his face.

 

Daehyun felt something lodge in his throat.

 

‘I’m sorry…’

 

Daehyun shook his head as his lips were uttering a repetitive ‘No’. His eyes glued on the figure of his lover who was gradually fading away.

 

‘Please be happy…’

 

The house was filled with Daehyun’s agonizing scream and the sobbing from Yongguk and Himchan, both were hugging a broken Daehyun in a tight hug.

 

 

 


 

Pink Carnations

A symbolic for Remembrance

 


 

 

a/n: Sorry