final.

between the hot chocolates, freebies & rainy night (and then there's us)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Donghan walked over to the table in the corner of the shop where Jihoon had waited for him while doing his paper. In his hands were Jihoon’s overly sweet hot chocolate and his own iced americano.

“Thanks, Donghan,” Jihoon had the audacity to grin sweetly at him as he set down their drinks on the table. “I owe you a lot of times.”

Donghan scowled, but there was a playful glint on his eyes as he spoke, “Yeah, you better be, Jihoon. I swear this is my nth glass of iced americano for this week―heck, I more caffeine than I drink water.”

“I can’t help it, you’re the one that I have. Jinyoung ditched me for Daehwi long ago and Samuel had been busy with his dance competition,” the shorter male took his drink and stirred it nonchalantly. “And you’re the only one who actually can ditch everything for free foods.”

Donghan gasped as he placed his palm over his chest, a disbelief look on his face. “Dude, that’s so uncalled for. You could’ve put your words better than that. You’re making me look like a pig!”

Jihoon laughed at the exaggerated act. “Sorry, truth hurt sometimes, buddy.”

Donghan was about to give a snarky retort but someone caught his eyes, the same someone that had been the main reason for Jihoon to come at this particular coffee shop near their university. And Donghan did not know it was a good or bad thing that he was walking toward their table.

“Hey, twelve o’clock―, he’s coming here in three seconds. Act normal.” Donghan muttered quickly before he took one of Jihoon’s book and pretending to read it.

Jihoon’s eyes widened in realization but he regained his composure in no time and copying Donghan, not bothered to check if he was reading the book upside down.

The gorgeous barista with cute snaggletooth then stopped right beside Jihoon, he could feel the heat radiating from his body and it was weird considering it was almost Winter. The nametag on his chest read Park Woojin and it was not the first time Jihoon had ever read that. But still, Jihoon was staring at it intently while trying to roll the name down with his mouth silently.

“Here you go, our special strawberry shortcake,” he chirped cheerfully and Jihoon saw him placing down a slice of the popular dessert on the table. Donghan was looking at his friend questioningly but Jihoon was as confused as he did.

“Um, sorry,” Jihoon glanced at Woojin and then at the sweet that just delivered for him. “But we didn’t order this?” It was meant to be a statement but the hesitation was thick in Jihoon’s tone and it came out as a question instead. “I think you’re mistaken us for someone else.”

Donghan nodded in agreement, still with his puzzled expression, “Yeah, it’s probably a mistake,” but as soon as his brain went back to work, he frowned slightly while blurting, “Beside, we’ll order more than one if that’s the real case,”

The barista chuckled and Jihoon mentally saved the sound in his head.

“No, the cake is free. You’re our 100th customer for today and actually, it’s my boss birthday, so, yeah,” Woojin shrugged and scratched his neck nervously. “Uh, do you want more? I think I can give one more for you as a token of gratitude or something,”

“Sure, if you’re fine with that,” Donghan replied casually without wasting another second but Jihoon widened his eyes as he waved panicky, blush crept onto his reddened cheeks. “No, no, this enough for us. But thank you for your offer.”

The cute barista looked between Jihoon and Donghan before he bowed and a polite smile plastered on his lips. “Okay, then. Enjoy the cake and do call me if you need any help.”

As Woojin walked away from their table, Jihoon whacked Donghan’s head hardly and the taller wincing painfully at the attack. “Hey, no violence outside the dorm, remember?”

“Just how shameful were you, asking for more free cake?” Jihoon whispered lowly, eyes darted around if someone had caught his barbarian act but lucky that everyone seemed to mind their own things. “Man, you’re really pathetic when it comes to food,” he groaned and ducked his head on the table. “And damn, he also looked so good today―I’m whipped, Donghan, I’m whipped,”

Donghan rubbed the sting spot hastily. “Stop before I throwing up here, Park Jihoon. I don’t even know why you bother to stalk―”

“Jesus, I’m not stalking him,” the shorter cut him with a glare, lower lips jutted out in a pout. “I just love to look at him from afar and that’s really different from a stalker act, you know?”

“Sure, sure, whatever makes you sleep better tonight,” Donghan rolled his eyes. “But can I have the cake? It’s your fault for decline his over to give us an extra. You know how much sugar I cut when I had to do diet last month, right?”

Jihoon sighed exasperatedly. “Fine, you eat the ing cake. I don’t even care about that.”

“As your wish captain,” the taller exclaimed happily and gobbling the cake down less than five seconds.

There was a cream on the corner of Donghan’s lips and Jihoon grimaced, throwing a pack of tissue from his bag to the taller male. “Ugh, you’re so unbelievable and disgusting. I hope you get a stomachache after this.”

 

 

Jihoon came alone today.

After cursing Donghan two days ago, the latter really had a bad stomachache and he was feeling a little guilty about it. Donghan looked so pale and when Jihoon had offered a fried chicken, the taller declined it with a sulky expression, hands on his tummy as he groaned in annoyance before sauntering over to the bathroom in hasty steps.

“Hey, you’re alone tonight,” Woojin greeted him behind the cashier, his face glowing awfully bright when he smiled and Jihoon thought the sun must be hiding behind Woojin at the night. “Hot chocolate for today, too?”

Jihoon blushed and nodded timidly. “Yeah,”

“That would be $250,” he was ready to take the money from Jihoon’s hand and bit his lips, his action halted midway. “On a second thought, it’s free for you,” he pulled back his hand to give Jihoon the receipt instead.

“What?” Jihoon choked on his saliva, eyes widened in pure surprise as he looking at the tanned male. “Why?”

“Uh, today is our shop third anniversary, actually,” Woojin’s lips curled up in a small smile as he handed the shorter male his receipt. “Wait a minute, I’ll get your hot chocolate ready.” And he left the cashier to do his job.

Jihoon was confused. This shop had been giving too much free items. And he was truly concerned if their business would go well in the future or not. But for sure, Woojin looked so handsome tonight. His hair curled messily and dyed to a lighter shade of brown. It complimented his golden skin more and Jihoon’s heart skipped one or two beats because of that.

So, when Woojin was back with his hot chocolate and a slice of cheese cake, Jihoon did not ask any question. He accepted them with a small smile and thanked him softly.

 

 

 

 

 

Later on the night when he was back at dorm and telling Donghan the story, the latter positively convinced that the barista might have a crush on Jihoon, too. But Jihoon only snorted in disbelief and told Donghan to eat his medicine before he went to sleep.

 

 

It was raining this afternoon.

The coffee shop seemed so full with lot of people trying to hide from the heavy rain and Jihoon was not an exception. His first intention was grabbing a hot chocolate quickly before went back to his dorm and slept through the day, it was Friday, after all. But the weather decided the opposite as the sudden pour of heavy rain stopped him to go back.

He yawned as he waiting in line to order his favorite drink. Woojin was behind the cashier in his glory presence, all smiley and looking handsome as ever. But Jihoon was not in his right mind now and he was feeling death inside. He had been sleeping lesser these past weeks, all thanks to the final exam that yet had to be finished. He could not even go to the shop often liked he usually did. He mostly only watched the shop from outside, admiring the gorgeous barista in pure awe and missing the hot chocolate that Woojin always made for him.

“Hey, haven’t seen you in a while,” Woojin smiled tentatively before his brows connected together at the exhausted male across of him. “Why do you look so tired?”

“Well, it’s the final exam―and I’m studying very hard not to fail any subject for this semester,” Jihoon answered honestly, too tired to make out an excuse. “One hot chocolate, please,”

The barista glanced at Jihoon, worry evident on his face but he nodded curtly. “Sure, wait for a moment.”

The hot chocolate presented in front of him in less than a minute. Their fingers brushed against each other as Jihoon took the drink and paid for it. This time Woojin did not give anything free for Jihoon and he felt nothing but relieved.

Jihoon walked over to the empty table and sat in silence. He took a sip from the hot chocolate and sighed contentedly. How long had it been since the last time he drank this, Jihoon could not remember. But for sure, there was always something calming from Woojin’s hot chocolate and Jihoon felt warm in the cool weather.

He did not take his umbrella with him this morning, even after watching a weather forecast that clearly told him it would be raining later in the day with Donghan as they ate their breakfast. His phone was out of battery as he forgot to charge it before he went out and he was sure that Donghan might been trapped inside the university library, too, because the taller informed him that he was going to do a group study with his classmates.

He blinked drowsily as his sleepiness took over his body. The jazzy music inside the coffee shop only added as a soothing lullaby and he silently thankful that he was wearing his thickest jacket today.

“Just fifteen minutes,” he mumbled to himself as he finally gave in and resting his head on top of his arms. “Yeah, just fifteen minutes,” he repeated slowly before drifting to dreamland.

 

 

Someone tapped Jihoon’s shoulder but he would not budge from his position, sleep thick on his limbs and he did not feel liked waking up at all. But the other person was quite persistent and Jihoon groggily woke up from his slumber, readied himself to yell at the other person to keep quiet and mind their own business.

“Sorry, I would gladly let you rest more, but it’s almost closing time.”

Jihoon’s eyes snapped open at the familiar deep voice and he saw Woojin with a gentle smile hovering beside him. The barista already changed into his casual clothes and as Jihoon looked around, he was the only customer left inside the shop. He also could not spot another worker in the shop.

He stood abruptly, his leg knocking over the table and he apologized hastily despite the stung spot on the side of his leg.

Woojin chuckled lightly and patted his shoulder in reassuring manner. “It’s okay, nothing is damaged,” he then paused and looked over the window, his brows knitted concernedly. “But it’s still drizzling out there. Do you bring an umbrella?”

Jihoon blinked once, twice and thrice. He shook his head and sighed. “I forgot to bring mine. I guess I’ll just running quickly to my dorm, it’s not that far from here, actually.”

Woojin pressed his lips in a thin line as he staring down at the shorter male. Jihoon flushed in bright red under his scrutinized gaze.

“No, that’s too dangerous―I mean, the road is too slippery and what if you fall on the street,” Woojin decided after a while. He bit his lips, a habit that he had when he was in a deep thought. “Wait here.”

Jihoon waited obediently and the barista came back with a black umbrella in his hand. Jihoon titled his head to the side when Woojin forced it to his hand.

“What about you?”

“There’s another umbrella inside the locker room, I can use one of them to go back home.”

“Are you sure?”

Woojin nodded, a little too quickly, not that Jihoon noticed.

“Okay, thanks. I’ll return this the next time I come here, I guess.” Jihoon formed a shy smile on his lips and muttered, “You’re a life saver, really.”

Woojin chuckled as he leading Jihoon out but paused on his tracks just before Jihoon could step out from the shop.

“Why?” Jihoon could not help but asked and Woojin did not answer him immediately. The barista suddenly leaned over and Jihoon’s breath hitched. The slightly taller boy fixed the zip on Jihoon’s oversized jacket, pulling the hoodie gently until it hid Jihoon’s head completely and pulled away with a satisfied smile.

“Ah,that’s better. Good night and take care on your way home,”

Jihoon gulped, his face felt hot and he was sure his cheeks were in deep shade of red. “G―good night to you too,” he stuttered embarrassingly and turned away to leave the shop before he letting out something stupid in front of his crush.

 

 

Please log in to read the full chapter