chapter 10

Halloween ever after

It started raining that night. And with the rain came other, less pleasant things. 

The rain made it colder for some reason. I mean I know physics was involved but that's totally besides the point right now. The point here is that it got so much colder. Soooo much colder.

Cold enough that when Big brother Fanfan pulled me right into his arms and held me close against his chest I did not complain. We were huddled, pretty much all of us having found a cuddle buddy. Yifan was mine, Sehun in between us. The T.V was on, and the healthy looking fella with the chubby cheeks a.k.a the weather man,was kindly giving us the weather forecast. 

It was going to rain.

Jackson snorted. And I smiled. Yeah, I think we had that covered. 

But it was also going to hail, it looked like. Temperatures were expected to drop to the high 20's fahrenheit. 

" That's like, below 0 celsius," Jaebum said, for those of us that didn't speak fahrenheit.

" What the hell?" Kyungsoo hissed," like did winter come early?"

" Yeah, the snow demon brought it," Luhan muttered and Teddy growled at him.

" Don't even joke about that man, like this isn't real enough as it is,"

Luhan appropriately contrite, apologised, " I'm sorry. Don't be mad? Please. I wasn't thinking,"

Teddy scowled at him ( I could barely make it out in the light of the t.v) then smiled and said, " make it up to me then?"

Luhan looked at her, ( I would like to believe he blinked a couple of times) then asked," you flirting with me lady?" 

Teddy leaned in and whispered something to him. The next thing I knew they were kissing. Like, really kissing.Like, we may as well be making to each other's mouths kissing. I was all embarrassed just watching, and I squealed softly and snapped my eyes shut.

Someone,Jaebum I'm convinced, sighed and said, " thank all the sweet candy the babies are asleep.Like we need them being traumatised by that,"

" Ok but guys," Mark said quietly," I don't want to be the one to ask, but if temperatures are expected to below freezing and stay there for a few days, are we prepared for it?"

No one answered, because the quick answer was probably, no, we weren't as prepared as we would have liked. Yes we had blankets and sheets. Yes we had clothes. Yes we had shelter. But when temperatures were that low, we all knew that you needed a hell of a lot more than that to avoid getting sick and possibly even hypothermia.

" Yo Fanfan" Minseok called out.

" Hmm?"

" Does the fireplace work?" he asked. And I mean yeah,  I don't know why none of us had even thought about it, but yeah, there was a whole fireplace in the wall, a few feet away from the T.V, from the looks of it, it hadn't been used in forever. But it was there.

Fanfan nodded, " I think so. I mean we haven't used it in forever. But.. Yeah I think it works. That still doesn't help us guys," he said.

" We need firewood, don't we," Jackson sighed and big brother  Fanfan sighed back.

" Well that ," Mark sighed as well. And truly, didn't it just. It did rather .Because there we were with a (possibly)working fireplace, in the freezing cold, with no firewood.

" It's not just that though," Chanyeol said carefully, " but won't smoke in the chimney draw attention to us?"

Big brother Fanfan sighed, and I froze. I hadn't thought about that you see.That we'd be putting ourselves in danger maybe, drawing attention to ourselves, and I'm sure we could all agree that right now the less attention on us, the better.

" Dammit" Luhan growled," I was really hoping we could fire that bad boy up. Teddy might be going into shock,"

" that's not good," Kyungsoo growled, getting up with his blankets wrapped around himself and waddling over to where Teddy and Luhan were curled up on a corner of the wrap around the room couch, slash bed. He crouched in front of Teddy and said, " she's shaking like that one time Jackson got drunk and decided to try belly dance"

" Yeah, ok that's not good," Jinyoung said also getting up and leaving his blanket with Jaebum, " let me in, we're gonna huddle round her. Body heat."

So Kyungsoo and Jinyoung curled themselves round Luhan and Teddy and hoped against hope that their bodies would emit a sufficient amount of body heat, enough to warm Teddy up so she'd at least stop shaking like a drunk Jackson trying to belly dance.

Now, unbeknownst to us,up on our roof, were some overprotective little werewolves. Two of whom, already knew that amongst our little group of survivors were some men they were very, very interested in. 

" So, like, I could easily go and get them some firewood," Charlie said to Jody. Jodie scowled then said, " yeah, you totally could. And then what are you gonna do, just knock on the door and be like, Hi neighbour, thought you could use some firewood!"

Charlie frowned and said, " I don't know ok.I haven't thought that far. All I know is that they're freezing down there and I could totally go get him some firewood."

" Let's just go get the firewood and we'll figure it out when we get back," Donalee, the other werewolf sitting up on the roof with them said, and so Donalee and Charlie hopped off the roof,leaving Jodie as the strongest to watch the house and keep all other things that go bump in the night away from the house.

Now, Jodie didn't particularly have any interest in the occupants of the house- us, beyond the fact that two of her packmates had great interest in two of the occupants of our house.

Like smitten interest.

Like when Charlie had laid eyes on Jaebum in one of her classes,  her little werewolf heart had gone all flippity flop, and stayed doing the flippity flop every time she'd seen him. Like he was so.. just so..so... "ugh" is how she'd described him and all his appeal.

And Donnalee, well Donnalee had once ( many times) heard Chanyeol speak and her little werewolf heart and gone all swoon, i am faint, save me.

And then she'd seen his face and quite near died in a mess of school girl worthy squeals of don't know what to do with myself. Donnalee and Charlie had from that point on religiously attended every basketball match that Chanyeol had played in, and every football match that Jaebum had played in. They didn't even particularly like sports, and beyond knowing that the two sports involved balls and men possibly grunting at each other ( get your minds out of the gutter you dirty little es), they had known diddly squat about the two sports.

Now, Jodie and the two girls were not related, but they had been sent to her by the pack of the South as a gift of goodfaith to serve as her seconds. Jodie insisted that her seconds have the best of educations which is why Donnalee and Charlie had been attending the same college as Yifan et group. Seconds were meant to be loyal to their masters, but Jodie had always felt that that bond worked both ways. The mark of a good leader was their loyalty to the happiness of those serving her, Jodie felt,. So she'd grown fond of the girls, enough to tease them that they were coming dangerously close to stalker levels of attraction. Donnalee and Charlie protested this vehemently of course. They weren't stalkers, they were just loyal admirers, who admired from afar, like across the street, or five tables away in the library. Jodie would just roll her eyes but otherwise leave it at that.

Til of course halloween when the three women, feeling the sudden change in the air had known exactly what was up. It also helped that Jodie was a part of the council of werewolves in this precinct, as her father had been the head councilman before his passing so she was well versed in the politics and fighting skills necessary to hold a position on the council. She was young, one of the youngest on the council, but she was also one of the strongest and those that had tried to challenge her right to be on the council had lived to tell the tale with immense regret in their voice.

So, Jodie had kind ok known that there were factions of the supernatural world that were making mumblings and grumblings of making their foray into this side of the veil permanent. They were tired of stealing tid bits of food here and there, when there was so much of it for the taking. It should be mentioned that we, humans, were the food for the taking.

Anyhoo,

Jodie had come home that halloween evening, pissed as only a badass female werewolf on a council of werewolves composed only of men could be, and said, " pack a bag,!"

" What's going on?" Charlie had asked, already sitting up and abandoning her Abnormal Psychology textbook.

" The veils been torn. It's a ing free for all. I wanna get out of here before all hell breaks loose. Literally," Jodie snapped as she pulled her jeans off and grabbed a pair of black leather pants that had ridiculous flexibility to them and slipped them on.Then grabbed a pair of black sneakers that wanted to be boots and slipped  those on as well. 

Donnalee said, " but.. Jaebum and Chanyeol,"

Jodie paused as she pulled her top over her head then sighed and said, " fine, get dressed, pack a bag and I'll take you to go make sure your boys are ok,"

So that is what they'd done. Making sure that no demons approached Yifans apartment, which is why when I'd initially run up to it that halloween night Yifan's street had been so oddly silent. Donnalee and Charlie had fought off every demon, vampire, other werewolf, wendigo, gumiho, witch and other manners of creatures that go bump in the night that I had never heard off. While Jodie had promised to go make sure that Chanyeol was safe whereever he was. It was why, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, Luhan, Jackson, Jinyoung and Dean had managed to make that run to us relatively unbothered. 

And then when we'd made the decision to make the run towards Yifans parents home, Jodie, Charlie and Donnalee had stayed with us from as safe a distance as they could, until in an unforeseen circumstance, Jodie had spied some demons terrorizing a group of toddlers and the poor daycare teacher that must have been responsible for them. 

And as soulless demons could be expected to do, this demon had a child in his hands held by one foot, upside down, and his mouth wide open, quite prepared and ready to eat the toddler.

Jodie wasn't having that. 

And neither were Donnalee and Charlie. They'd made a pit stop to fight that demon and get those children and that daycare teacher to safety. This is why we'd had a little bit more trouble with things that go bump in the night that stretch of our journey. Our guardian angels had been otherwise occupied.

But they were here now, not that we had any idea and watching out for us ( and the group of toddlers and their daycare teacher who they'd put in the house next door to Yifans in the basement, when they'd spied our poster).

And they'd brought us firewood.

" Ok, so? You figured out how you plan on getting the firewood to them?" Jodie asked, highly amused at the scowls of concentration on the faces of her two seconds. 

Charlie sighed then jumped off the roof and to the ground, walking round the house til she was at the front door then walked in and to the stairs that would bring her to the basement. Then she, very calmly as you please, knocked on the basement door.

You know we all froze,like stopped breathing froze, and tried to make ourselves invisible by virtue of silence. Jodie who had followed close behind with Donnalee, slapped her hand over and tried not to laugh.

Charlie pouted and barely resisted the urge to whine, then said " Ok. So Hi. My name is Charlie, Jaebum you and I had a couple of classes together. Here's the thing, I'm a werewolf and I totally have a crush on you. I also have really good hearing because I'm a werewolf, so I know you guys are cold and you could use some firewood. Me and Donnalee went and got you some. I'm gonna leave it here by the front door for you. Also,I know you're worried about drawing attention to yourselves, but like, Jodie, that's my alpha, Donnalee and I are gonna stay up on your roof and watch this house and your neighbours because there's five kids and a teacher in there til someone comes for you. Um. Yeah. I know you have absolutely no reason to believe me,but please just get the firewood, so you don't freeze. I don't want you to freeze. I have a crush on you. Ok. Bye."

" Wait!!" Jaebum called out.

" Uh..yeah?" Charlie called back.

" What class did we have together?" he asked.

" Intro to Psych, The psychology of criminal behaviour and juvenile delinquency," Charlie called back.

" Tell me what our professors names were" Jaebum said.

" Prof. Mandarin, Prof. Pari and Prof.Haitan" Charlie called back," and Prof.Mandarin always started the class with the corniest of jokes,"

Jaebum blinked then said to us, " I think she's legit guys. Like..I really think she's legit,"

" I.. I'm gonna go now , ok," Charlie called back," but come get the firewood before you freeze."

We gave it a few minutes and then Jaebum gingerly went to the door, Jackson and big brother Fanfan with him for extra protection, and they opened the door, to find a neatly stacked pile of firewood waiting for us. There was also some matches, a small bottle of flammable liquid, some pain meds for Lilee I was guessing and some more blankets for us.

" Ok," Jackson said, " I guess she's legit."

They quickly dragged the things in, and we all sighed in anticipation as Yifan got to starting a fire in the fireplace. As an afterthought, Jaebum called out, " Thank you!!"

In response, we got two taps down the chimney.

Well then. Looks like we just might get survive this craziness afterall.

Thank all the sweet candy for werewolves I suppose.

Thank all the sweet candy.


a/n: yes, I'm pulling characters from supernatural, hence the introduction of Jodie, Charlie and Donnalee. And like the muse insisted I make them werewolves. She insisted you hear me. I had to listen.

Anyhoo, I hope you guys are enjoying this thus far.

Hugs

Scheherezade