Preview

Witch's Hazel

Oops. 


Snow was blowing, clinging to his hair, making the brown colour appear white. With each step, his snow boots sunk deeper and deeper into the fresh powder, forcing his leg muscles to strain just to lift the weight back out and forward once more. He was cold, with his breath billowing in plumes before him with each exhale. He was cold, and he was lost. He was lost alone, in the mountains, with not even an inkling on how to get back to where he started.

He had monitored the weather for days. He checked multiple news stations, checked an abundance of websites just to make sure the sky would be clear for his annual winter hike. Sanghyuk was a professional, good at what he did, but in that moment, he was coming to terms with the possible fact that he may die out here. It wasn’t supposed to snow like this, but Mother Nature wasn’t on his side.

The wind was howling, so loud he could barely hear himself think. With every flake that his face, Sanghyuk felt his resolve crumble more, and more. Would he ever see his parents again? Would he ever see his dog, the miniature pincer that he cherished so much?

Those were just some of the few thoughts that ran through his mind at a mile a minute, as he in another frigid breath, that – in turn – sent a shiver down his spine.

Sanghyuk took another step forward, and his knees gave out.

He fell, his gloved hands flying forward to catch them. His two arms sunk down, into the cold snow. He breathed heavily, eyes closing tightly as he felt the familiar burning of tears. It was a welcome sensation in the biting chill.

He was scared. Sanghyuk was terrified, and he didn’t know what to do. He didn’t want to die out here.

As if the gods were answering his prayers, suddenly, everything stopped around him. It startled the young hiker, evident in the widening of his eyes. He looked up, eyes blinking as he took in the sights surrounding him. He felt a weight in his chest, at the realization that the weather didn’t just… stop. Everything had been suspended. Snowflakes, that should be floating towards the ground, were halted within the air, almost like time itself had stopped. Slowly, Sanghyuk began to rise to his feet, albeit with effort.

“What the…” The hiker spoke aloud, his words billowing in plumes before him. He reached out a gloved hand, and the suspended flakes of white moved out of the sudden force’s way.

Sanghyuk didn’t know if he should feel scared, or amazed. This was an impossible happening that was taking place. Snowflakes just didn’t stop mid-air. Had the gods really heard him? Had someone come to save this poor soul who didn’t want to die?

As if answering her question, finally, Sanghyuk saw it. He didn’t know what it was, outside of the fact that it looked… Human. It was a silhouette, moving in red, through the woods before him. It was a little way away, he could tell, but that didn’t stop his feet from moving in the thick snow, bringing him forward. Both of his hands came up, to cup around his mouth.

“Hello!” The hiker shouted, seeking to gain the attention of whatever was moving effortlessly through the freshly fallen powder. “Hello, please!” He tried again, moving quicker now, despite some struggles. “I need help! I don’t know how to find my way back!”

Despite his calls, and pleading voice. The figure didn’t stop. It kept moving farther, and farther away from Sanghyuk. He felt panicked. This was his only chance now. If he didn’t get some help, he would die.

His legs working in the snow, he picked up speed. “Please,” his voice begged, “don’t leave me out here!”

Finally, he was gaining distance. Within that gaining distance, he could make out exactly what he was seeing. It was indeed a person, shrouded within a warm-looking red cloak. Their back was turned towards Sanghyuk, and it brought the hiker to a halt.

However, when he stopped, so did the figure before him.

“Hello?” Now Sanghyuk seemed unsure. This person was out here, without proper hiking gear. Was it really… A god?

Slowly, to the hiker’s slight dismay, the figure before him began to turn. But, before his could see any facial features, the wind began to howl around him once more, and he was blinded by flying snowflakes. It riled a cough from him, at the suddenness of it all. It was far more intense than before. Heavy, powerful, blinding. He felt like he couldn’t breathe now, as his eyes tried to focus on the person before him. With horror, he realized it was moving away.

“Wait!” He struggled to call out, his feet working to pick back up in the snow. “Stop!”

He was running now, and it was tiring him out. The snow was piled high, and it was hard to maneuver through. He felt his body shutting down on him. Sanghyuk had overexerted himself, he had used too much of his already lacking energy. He felt his body grow heavy, and then, he was kissing snow. He had fallen, unable to stop himself from doing so. The wind was howling around him, as he looked up, eyes narrowing enough to focus on the figure. Had it stopped again? He couldn’t tell now.

The hiker’s arm reached up, with effort, before him. It was a gesture of pleading, begging. “Help me,” Sanghyuk’s voice struggled to come out. “Please,” he added.

But then, there was nothing but darkness.