Missing you

Antiparallel
Please log in to read the full chapter

Yook Sungjae always thought that the universe was messing with him, only to watch him play the fool.

It’s true that he had a hard time getting into the musical industry, but here he was after 4 years of standing on stage, more energetic and well-praised than ever. However, there was one thing that no musical, no transcript, no role and no positive review could give him; it was the bedside of a human being’s life. It was love, and love was supposed to be as simple and as complicated as that.

He was perfectly aware of the fact that he chose to be a musical actor. It was his childhood dream ever since his parents brought him to his first theatrical experience. They also fostered an environment where he could cherish that childish dream of his and continue to fight for it, no matter what obstacles arose on his way to become an actor.

On the other hand, at the age of 6, love wasn’t a definition for him. He was more into comic books, animes and old cassette players than real girls. As time went by, of course it changed a bit. He had changed, too. He became popular with girls, but he never found someone who could understand him like he wanted to. To accept him with all his flaws and mistakes. To love him unconditionally − both as the boy on stage and the boy off-stage. To support him if he had a new role in a musical, or if he merely wanted to cook pancakes for the first time in his life.

There was only one person who seemed to be appropriate for all his requirements. Sadly, that someone was only in touch with him through letters. Long, more than thousand words long e-mails, filled with his silly jokes and her cute remarks. Book recommendations, reviews of plays, her favourite new albums, his brand new anime obsessions. Opinions on the current politics, the Korean school system, the judgement within the society and the insecurities of growing up. Though he wasn’t usually a serious guy, beside her he wasn’t afraid to show this side of him.

Thanks to her, Sungjae felt like he could be anyone. Just like the roles he had played; he felt invincible. He felt like he could take over the world.

However, he only knew her through their letters, and he knew that there was no other way for them. Not even when others could already tell why he had such a wide smile on his face after reading her e-mails every morning.

“You love her, don’t you?” Eunkwang − one of his close friends and a fellow musical actor − asked one day, after Sungjae received one of her particularly joyful and long letters.

He had just found out that she was just as much in love with Baudelaire’s poems as he was, and he couldn’t ha

Please log in to read the full chapter