Chapter 1

Utter Mystery

Everything was dark. The moon wasn't hanging anywhere for the moon to find it. There was a faint coldness in my limbs as the air rushed over my skin and hair. Stars refused to come out from hiding as clouds covered the sky. Brick buildings were the only objects which provided a shadow deep enough to sink and disappear into. My vision was a little blurry as I my feet tapped against the hard, dark asphalt that covered the roads of the area I was in. Soft panting could be heard from my mouth as blood was rushing and pounding in my ears. The night appeared to be endless. Nobody could be seen while I tried to escape for the goodness of my life. Panic was setting in as it pumped into my veins to spread through the shaking vessel my soul rested in.

"Check in the northwest part of the city. They couldn’t have gotten very far. They won't know how everyday life will work so they will stick out so much that it'll be easy to find them. We'll go over to the other side of the city to make a far more thorough search." The dark people soon started dispersing, bringing fear closer and safety farther than a distant dream. I slipped into a dark alley way to try to blend in with the darkness, waiting for the people to pass by. Once they were far enough from me, I crept out and ran across the street to try to get to a spot where they wouldn't be able to find or reach me. That's when there was an open door to a building with very little lighting. Slipping inside, I closed the door softly and carefully. Searching for a way to barricade it, there was a weird knob above the handle. Turning it brought a light clicking sound to my ears. There was very little light coming in, giving a large enough amount of coverage for my small body to hide inside.

"What is this place?" My voice was slightly hoarse, reminding me to find something that would relieve the burning in my throat. Having already adjusted to the little lighting, cold and thin hands searched for liquids. Finding a sink with a blue and red handle, I turned the blue handle and felt cool liquid flow across my finger. Cupping my hands, I took a sip to find it was water. Gulping down as much as I could, I sighed with satisfaction greater than anything to feel my throat calm down. The facet was turned off as my tired body slumped against the wall. Drowsiness slowly started to sink its claws in, however, hunger won it over. Searching in the darkness, there was a little door missing a handle my fingers easily pried open. Peering curiously inside, there wasn't anything in it. Checking another and another, the repeated action continued till I found a fruit sitting with others. The one I grabbed was long and yellow. Slowly, recognition started to work as it was actually a berry, a banana. Like a ravenous dog that hadn't eaten in days suddenly being presented with meat, I wolfed down the banana till there was nothing but the peel left. Holding onto it still, drowsiness started to creep its way back into my tired mind and exhausted body. With heavy eyes, I sank against a wall and allowed my momentary freedom to comfort me. That's when the darkness accepted me with a loving embrace, bringing me closer to allow me to sleep without a worry in the world.

 

Shifting of things and banging of doors stirred me from my rest. Lights were turning on in the small building as panic quickly woke my sleepy figure up. Eyes darted wildly as to find a way to hide or escape. The people that would be coming in could put me further into danger. Finding a door that lead to another room, I slipped inside without a sound, before the people could reach me. Soft voices spoke, laughter filled as crackling started to encompass the room I slept in. Looking behind me, there was a large amount of items, with various labels my fuzzy mind couldn't make out. That's when a wince of pain coursed through, allowing a strained groan to leave my lips. My vision started to change, dark spots forming and disappearing, keeping my other senses from being sharp. Soon enough, the door to the room I was hiding in opened. My body became heavy and dropped to the floor, a slight shaking starting as a bewildered person stared at me. I wished to yell, hoping the person would freak out and leave to allow my escape, but nothing came out as I out.

"…is waking up…over here…shut it and…" A voice different from my own spoke to assumedly another in the room. in agony as piercing pain covered my entire body. Stirring from my position, which was on something cushy, my eyes opened up to find a blurred figure. "You're awake. I'm glad." Several blinks ensued as I tried to focus. There was a person with somewhat short black hair and full bangs with thin colors in them. He had tanned skin and warm, cozy looking brown eyes that shone with kindness. He was smiling at me, sitting in a chair next to me. His smile highlighted his cheekbones as his voice wasn't harsh like the ones I heard last night. "You nearly scared me to the skies and back when you were in our pantry and just passed out. Are you feeling alright?" His smile slowly disappeared while I quickly moved off the couch and hid behind it, soon regretting the decision and fell to my knees, panting heavily with sweat rolling down my temples. He bolted up and quickly came to my side. "Don't move too much. You don't look so well. You should rest." Backing away the best I could, I shook my head and started shaking.

"D-Don't come near me. They'll come find me." My voice may have tried to be strong, but came out as quiet and weak. Damning myself, I kept my distance from him. His eyes showed he was a bit hurt, but also equally confused with my words. That's when another person walked into the room with styled black hair, the hair in the front curving up and over to the right side of his face. He gazed down at me, clearly confused and bewildered that I was up and moving, but also shaking in my place.

The other that was in the room with me when I came to shook his head and tried to approach me. "It's alright. Nobody is going to hurt you. We just want you to be better so you can go back to life. You aren't in good health." He reached a hand slowly out to me to take, appearing genuine, but it could all be a trick. I shook my head, which throbbed in response. Wincing, I held one side while holding the large, cushy chair with the other to stay as steady as I could.

Frowning, the other sighed and left the room, soon coming back with some food on a plate. "You're hungry, aren't you? If you want to eat and get better, or leave here, you will have to sit back down where you were. Now, pick one. Pass out again or get on the couch." His gaze was different from the other, appearing a little mad with my behavior. As if on cue, my stomach growled. I would need to keep up my strength to try to escape this city from the people searching for me. Grumbling, I crawled back to the thing he called a couch and sat down. The other man smiled before getting up and sat back down in his chair.

"You are quite a quick thinker, Ravi. If you want, I can stay here and you can go out to the others and run the shop." The one with colored black hair turned his attention to the man that was standing, who nodded in response before handing off the food and walked back down the hallway he came from. Shifting back to me, he held out the food to me. "Now, how about you eat up. I don't want to worry about you passing out again." I hesitantly took the plate and the food on it. It was round and covered with thin white stripes and something sweet smelling in the middle. Carefully, I took a bite to find it was as sweet as it smelled, finding it was quite good. "Okay, so, I just have a few questions before letting anyone else see you or anything. How did you get in here and who are you?" He tilted his head before crossing a leg over the other.

"I-I…I saw an open door and came in." I figured he was fine enough to hear that much, but the question of who I was, was something I couldn't seem to answer. Nothing came to mind, as if my mind was scrubbed clean like a shower wall with a foaming cleaner. I shook my head in response to the other question. "W-Who am I? I-I'm not sure."

 

 

_________________________________________________________

Hello everyone! I'm back in action to try to get a new story up and running. I hope that this short chapter will be alright till I get some updates and new chapters going! I am in college and I'll be quite busy, but I'll try to update to you all as soon as I can!