Final

DNA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DNA

 

01

 

“You killed my Naeun! It has to be you!” The loud wails of the woman echoed in the room. Her daughter’s portrait in the side stood. The daughter’s smile was so beautiful, amidst the endlessly growing sadness in the location. White flowers and people in black suits and dresses came to mourn, but no one could beat the broken heart of the young woman’s parents who was crying of broken hearts amiss of their daughter’s passing. “You shouldn’t have done that to my daughter! Why did you kill her?! WHY DID YOU?!”

The woman gripped unto the lone girl’s collar, collapsing in the floor as the pain seeped in. The young girl in white long sleeved button-down and white shirt has her head hung low, tears streaming down her cheeks. Her left hand was perfectly wrapped in bandage. Silently, filled with sadness, she whispered. “I-I d-didn’t kill her, ma’am… I could never do that to Naeunnie… I love her…”

“THEN WHO KILLED NAEUN!? W-who did?! W-who took my daughter away from me, Eunji-ah…?”

“I… don’t know…”

Just then four policemen entered the scene. The already dark atmosphere grows heavier as each moment pass.

“Miss…?” One of them asked the young girl. “Are you perhaps Miss Jung Eunji?”

Masked with sadness and despair, the young girl lifelessly nodded her head. “Y-you’re gonna take me in, right?”

The policeman nodded his head as another one went forward and cuffed her hands in her back.

“I didn’t kill her. Please believe me…”

“You have the right to remain silent. Everything you said may and will be used against you in the court of law.” Locking the cuff, the policeman’s eyes were filled with pity that resonated the room. “I’m very sorry, miss… but now we have to go.”

 

Seokjin sighed, feeling worn out while trying to talk to Jung Eunji during the interrogation. It was kind of a hassle dealing with criminals who speak nonsense and lies, but a criminal that is almost mute? God, it was the worst.

Not that Seokjin was complaining. He liked his job but being a public lawyer won’t really give him the chance to pick his clients. The young girl before her was just endlessly crying in her seat, the invisible tears seem to be flooding the room if it were only real.

“Miss Jung Eunji, you do know you have to tell me the truth. You can ignore the prosecutor but not me. I’m here to help you.” He tried to coax the young girl but failed miserably. The young brunette was just muttering on her own the words she repeated ever since she was arrested.

“I didn’t kill Naeun. I didn’t even touch the car’s door after we fought. I can’t kill her… I love her…” It was the same phrase. And then, she cried some more.

 

“Hyung… How did it go with the latest case?” A young man asked as Seokjin walked out of the building. A guy with a red brown hair, almost as if he’s a celebrity… only that he’s not and that he’s a prosecutor.

“That girl wouldn’t even talk to me.” Seokjin sighed and pouted. “She kept repeating that she didn’t kill Miss Son Naeun. That she loved her… Pfft… Love is indeed a mysterious thing, Chan. I don’t even know what to do with her… ”

“That’s because you are too playful to feel it.” Jungkook chuckled, sitting on an empty bench. As Seokjin followed suit, he continued to ask. “Why did the defendant arrested though? Intel said she was never found within the premise of the building nor the parking lot during the duration of the crime.”

“That’s the thing that’s puzzling. Miss Son Naeun was found dead on the driver’s seat, a gunshot on her head and traces of blood in the window, steering wheel and such. The case would’ve been closed as suicide, judging by how the victim was holding the very gun but…”

“But what?”

“Jung Eunji’s DNA was found among the blood traces. According to some witnesses, Eunji and Naeun were having a fight in front of the building two hours prior to the crime. There were no CCTVs around so no one could be sure that she isn’t there. Other than that, her left hand was wounded, that could suggest a resistance. She seems to be a pretty candidate of the crime.” Seokjin sighed yet again after explaining.

“Well the girl seems indeed pretty though. Sadly, she swings the other way.”

“Shut up and stop gawking on my clients, Kook. I’ll go ahead now. Duty calls.”

“Yeah, sure. Good luck with the case, hyung!”

 

Students wearing black coats were lined up in rows of seats, waiting for their diploma. A sense of triumph was in the air, signaling the very last day they stay inside the premises of the university. Tomorrow, they would no longer stay in a room to study, but start the work they all worked hard for. Among all of the students, one stood out against everyone. It was the year’s valedictorian, Son Naeun. She was standing on stage, behind the podium as she delivered her speech. Many cheers and claps were in the air… until…

“Excuse me! Could you perhaps give me one more minute before we all go…?” Her smile was wide and beautiful, something that made everyone silent and waited for what she would have to stay. She glanced around the gymnasium, trying to find the one girl she wants to see.

“Eunji?” she asked, gently smiling as she called her girlfriend on stage.

Clueless, the young brunette stepped up next to the very girl she loved her whole life. It was not until the beautiful woman went down one knee and gave her a new set of smile, a smile full of love.

“Will you make me the happiest woman I know?” Naeun asked, taking out the diamond ring she was saving for since Day 1.

“O-oh my god…” Eunji breathed out before grinning widely in happiness. “Of course!”

The ring was beautiful and perfect on their fingers as the two shared a simple kiss that made the crowd go wild. Their love shined even brighter than the sun, and that was the best days of their lives.

“It’s been three months since then…” Eunji whispered sullenly to herself. She was staring at the ring on her hand, the beautiful memories seem to turn dark and grey each minute. “How could things quickly change during those three months?  How can you live just like that, Naeunnie?”

Once again, the young adult cried in her bed, the memories she kept in perfect started to be tainted by the last image of her fiancée, just a few hours of the crime. Naeun wanted to break up with her. She didn’t know the reason. She was so mad she couldn’t even give Naeun the time to answer. She really loves her fiancée so deeply and couldn’t see the reason for the breakup. They were happy. They were…

…were they?

 

They were in the sidewalk, nearing Naeun’s home and the end of their journey. They hands were intwined, but Eunji couldn’t feel the warmth she always felt when Naeun holds her even if the latter always had cold hands. It felt extra colder, a chill that went up her spine. Eunji knows something was wrong. She simply just didn’t have the guts to ask the young girl about it.

As they stopped their tracks in front of the building, Naeun finally spoke about it… but it wasn’t what Eunji had ever expecte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter