Final

Love Letters From War

                                                     

 

 
It was January 23, 1951, in a small village in South Korea, there was a young girl working at a small cafe, her name is Im Yoona. She had a light blue bow in her hair, accentuating her already beautiful features. She was only 20, but already decided she was old for her age. 
 
~~~*~~~
 
Yoona looked over at the table out front, where a familiar young man sat, only 21, she presumed. She walked over to the young man to get a closer look.
“Can I take your order?” Yoona asked while the young man turned his head and looked up at Yoona.
“You don’t remember me?” the young man said. Yoona stared at him with a confused look and the young man chuckled. “Don’t you remember the little boy with the big ears, who used to always play with you back then when we were young,” the young man said.
Yoona laughed and asked, “Lee Donghae? Is that really you? Where have you been?” 
“I was sent to an army camp when I was 16, I’m a paratrooper now,” Donghae replied, “so are you going to take my orders or what?”
“Oh right, what would you like to order?” Yoona asked.
“A cup of tea, would be great,” Donghae said, “Uhh when do you get off?”
“Umm in a couple of minutes, why?” Yoona answered.
“I was wondering if you would like to just sit down and talk,” Donghae replied.
“I would love too. I know a place where we can go,” Yoona suggested. An hour later, the two sat together under a tree near the river where they always used to play. Donghae had broken down and started to sob on Yoona's shoulder.
“If I haven’t left, my father wouldn’t have worried to death,” Donghae said.
“Your father died of old age, not because of you,” Yoona reassured. Donghae looked at Yoona and grinned happily. “What are smiling about?” she asked.
He chuckled and said, “I remember you used to always wear ponytails running around the village acting like a little kid, you’ve changed so much.”
“Well you were no better either. It has been 4 years already,” Yoona pointed out smiling thinking about the good times they used to share. “So how long are you staying here for?” Yoona asked.
“I’m being drafted back to war tomorrow,” Donghae admitted.
“So soon?” Yoona exclaimed.
“Yeah, look um I don’t have anyone to write to and I was wondering if I could-” Donghae muttered.
“Of course, you could write to me,” Yoona replied resting her hand on his shoulder. They gazed into each other's eyes, lovingly. They leaned in and their lips met, sparks went flying, after a couple seconds they pulled back, smiling.
Donghae ran a hand over his hair; he took a deep breath and said, “It’s getting late, I should walk you home." He noticed he was still holding onto her hand yet he didn’t let go and added, "Promise me, you'll write?"
“I promise,” Yoona said.
His eyes filled with tears once again, "I'll be back one day, I love you."
"I love you, too.”
 
Two weeks later, Yoona woke up early in the morning. She tied a pink bow in her hair. She cheerfully strolled over to the post office, which happened to be right across the street from the cafe. She greeted the mail man, "Any mail for the Im residence? We're box one forty-four." He nodded and handed her a letter from Donghae. Her eyes grew wide and she carefully pulled the flap.
 
My dear Yoong,
 
I think about your smile every day. Right now we're stationed in an army camp. If I could get back right now, it wouldn't be soon enough. I think of your promise to never stop loving me. And I have to promise the same back to you. 
 
When I come back from the war, I will take you out from work for a walk. We can hold hands and talk until neither of us can keep our eyes open. We'll be so in love that we will be married off and live in a little cabin by the pier where we had our first chat. No one will have enough strength to keep us apart.
 
I dream this war will end at any day. After we are united once again, we will go to school so we are well educated and can pass our knowledge down to our own children. Until then I'll keep you in my heart and mind.
 
                                                                                                                                                All of my love to you,
 
                                                                                                                                                      Lee Donghae
 
Her eyes filled with tears, oh how she was smitten. She spent many nights dreaming of the days they had spent together. Her mother and father had become worried that her studies were failing.
"Yoong," her mother started, "you are too young to experienced love; you will not know what it is until you are much older and wiser."
"No, mom. I'm in love with Hae, he means everything to me and we'll spend our whole lives together."
"Yoong..." she tried. But Yoona wouldn't hear it. Until Donghae would come back and be able to show his love for Yoona to her mother, she would hold onto his letters. Yoona answered every single letters he would send. Another letter came a few weeks later.
 
My life, my love, my angel,
 
I am scared, but I'll keep you in my heart to keep me fighting. I won't be able to write for a while, but I don't want you to worry. I am sorry to hear that your mother doesn't believe our love. The two of us know all too well, so it will never matter as long as you have me in mind I am truly, deeply in love with you. I hope to see your pretty smile again very soon.
 
                                                                                                                                      Our love won't die,
 
                                                                                                                                            Lee Donghae
 
She wrote back the very next day, her heart filled with hope and love. A few weeks went by and she still had no letters, that didn't mean anything though. He had told her there wouldn't be any letters for a while. After another week, Yoona and her parents went to a small festival in the village. She had wished Donghae would be able to share the joy with her. The announcer stood up and asked, "would everyone please bow their heads in silence for a list of the local brave South Korea soldiers that are dead." Several names were listed, Yoona saw a boy standing by her, she wondered if his loved one had been killed. She looked at him with sympathy. The announcer continued an endless list, Yoona's spirit fell when she heard:
 
"Lee Donghae." And no one cried for him. Except a pretty little girl with a bow in her hair.