The adventures of Eros

Out of this world
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

“Does that mean that I’m fired?” the young man gasped with a slightly offended expression, signs of confusion clearly written all over his face. It was as if he didn’t want to believe what he had just heard or assumed that it was all part of a big joke.

“Just look at you! You already talk like those humans!” the older man snickered with obvious pity in his voice. “I’m sure there won’t be a problem. As soon as you earn back my trust, you can come back and claim back your immortality,” the bearded man announced, his voice firm and confident. He made it very clear that he was the only one who had a say in the matter.

After all, it shouldn’t have come as a surprise. He was Zeus, the god above all while the young man was only at the bottom, if not the last one. No one thought that he had a difficult job but who were they to belittle something that they had never truly experienced – to be precise, they may have experienced but not whole-heartedly. Who were they to make fun of the most complicated and twisted part of a human’s life that he tried to protect as much as possible?

He may be the face of the most cringe-worthy day of the year but he wasn’t completely useless. He was Eros (more commonly called as Cupid, although it was only his Latin name) and if he didn’t exist, the world would turn into a constant battlefield because of hatred and rage.

However, after what Zeus had said, he wasn’t Cupid anymore, only hypothetically. He was forced to leave the Olympus and live as a human as a punishment for his crime – neglecting his duties for the sake of his appearance. It was funny enough how he always tried his best to help the heart-broken and now he was one of them and no one could be there to mend his heart. He was alone and helpless just like a forsaken ex-god should be.

 

How can an ex-god earn back Zeus’ trust without all his powers – seduction, manipulation and the ability of creating little things such as flowers and bouquets of chocolate? That was a bloody good question.

Eros had no idea in the beginning, so instead of coming up with one, he moped and cried for an entire week, using up more than 15 boxes of super soft tissues. All he got from his superior was a well-furnished flat, some money and a list of reminders about what he should and shouldn’t do as a suspended god living in human form. He was partly glad because he finally had the opportunity to breathe, feel his heart beating, smell the fragrance of sweet dandelions, taste the creamy caramel in a piece of cake, in other words he was now able to touch, feel and live. There was only one thing that he forgot: gods were invisible to the human eye.

 Small wonder why he was so dumbfounded when he first moved out of his flat and one of his neighbours came up to him to say hi. He needed to remind himself that he was no longer a god, therefore he could be seen by everyone.

“So what’s your name, sweetheart?” the elderly woman asked with a genuine smile, her eyes filled with curiosity.

“I’m E−“ he started casually and almost facepalmed when he realised that he wasn’t allowed to use his real name. It was one of the beloved reminders of Zeus. He said that if he exposed himself and his name was mentioned more than 3 times in his presence, he would be fired for real. He wouldn’t even have the chance to go back. Eros was quite taken aback at first but when he realised that he had other names too, he wasn’t so terrified anymore. People would most likely call him Amor or Cupid, right? No one knew about Eros nowadays, only that so-called Cupid from commercials and toe-curling couple product names.

“I’m−“ his eyes frantically searched for a proper name and when he caught sight of the newspaper in the woman’s hand, he read out the first name that he happened to lay his eyes on. “I’m Lee Hongbin?” he averted his eyes back to the granny, plastering a friendly smile on his face. “Yeah, I’m Lee Hongbin. Nice to meet you, Mrs. Kim! You have such a lovely haircut,” he complimented right away, his generous comments not leaving him even as a human being.

From that day on, he was Lee Hongbin who turned his flat into an office since he found the perfect way to regain his position – he became a dating coach. He helped wandering souls who were constantly thinking about that sought-after love of their life yet they didn’t have any luck in love.

He was there to help them with his generous tips and thanks to his long years of playing the matchmaker, his business was quite fruitful. Even worried parents and friends came to him who wanted to put an end to the lonely days of their loved ones and their request usually led to a beautifully blooming relationship involving that said acquaintance.

Truth to be told, Hongbin was enjoying his job to the fullest. He could still do what he used to do as a god but he was closer to the humans, so he had the chance to see what the couples became after their first confessions. As Eros, he did nothing but be present at the time when they fell in love but as a dating couch, his clients sometimes came back to say thank you. Frankly, he couldn’t have been happier. He loved the smile on their faces, the way they gazed at each other and the little sparkles that accompanied them.

He was doing so well but as expected, his job didn’t come without obstacles. There was only one female whom he couldn’t help, no matter how hard he tried. He did everything he could, even though she wasn’t his client.

Kim Yuna was working at the café where he always bought his morning vanilla latte and there was a frequent customer who couldn’t look away when the pretty barista was around. It was obvious to Hongbin that the guy had a crush on her but she seemed ignorant to his obvious stares and nervous half-smiles. After several failed attempts and a conversation with the said guy – Jung Taekwoon −, Hongbin finally blurted out that Taekwoon was in love with her but he was also too shy to admit his feelings.

Yuna’s jaw dropped upon hearing his words but her bewilderment soon turned into something totally different – guilt.

“I’m sorry about your friend, Hongbin, but I don’t like him. We had talked a couple of times before but I don’t feel anything when I’m with him,” she admitted as she ran a hand through her obsidian-black curls.

Hongbin didn’t want to tell her that he didn’t even know T

Please log in to read the full chapter