Fin.

On This Day

 


The Reveal


"Here we stand today 
Like we always dreamed
Starting out our life together 
Light is in your eyes 
Love is in our heart 
I can't believe you're really mine forever..."

 

Jeonghan and Mingyu could say that they have been with each for the most of their lives. They have been each other's please-notify-in-case-of-emergency.  

At one point, Jeonghan does not understand his overwhelming emotions anymore. So he bursts. 

 

It was after a party. Mingyu invites him to this formal event - a product launching of the rival company. 

Jeonghan acknowledges the other guy's visual. He exudes royalty wherever and whenever he is, at whatever condition he gets. He is born sleek and fine. Damn fine. Which does not really bother Jeonghan. 

But that night was different from all the other nights. His overwhelming emotions came to their highest annoying peek. They irritated him fully that he just haywired. The random feelings are suffocating. 

 

"Mingyu stop the car please. I need air," 

"What? Are you okay?" Mingyu's right hand leaves the wheel as it touches his passenger's forehead. 

Jeonghan feels guilty for the unnecessary concern. But he can't take the strain his emotions give him any longer. He reaches his limit.  "Everything's fine. Just let me out. I feel cramped in here." 

 

Make excuses.

 

"Are you sure?" Mingyu stops the car anyway. 

Jeonghan immediately goes out, breathing as hard and as deep as he needed. He grabs his chest. 

 

"You should tell me the problem. There's nothing we could not solve together," Mingyu stands beside him. 

'You're my problem,' Jeonghan thinks that if he could say it aloud, this heaviness would leave.

 

"We've been partners since we could recall. Why don't i know this?" 

Jeonghan breathes laboriously. 

 

"If something or someone is causing you this, you have to tell me. You're worrying me,"

"Shut up," he hits Mingyu's shoulder. 

 

"It hurts seeing you like that,"

Jeonghan closes his eyes. 

 

"Hannie-ya," Mingyu reaches his hand at him. The last piece of straw is broken. He slaps his hand away.  

"Why do you need to know? Why am i worrying you? Why does it hurt you?" Jeonghan is fuming. "Why Mingyu? This is making me crazy."

 

This surprises them both. Where have all of that came from? 

 

"You're my friend. You're my brother. You're my other half,"

"I don't know. I'm not okay. I'm confused," Jeonghan rumbles. 

"Tell me," 

"I don't know what to tell you," 

 

Mingyu pulls Jeonghan by his shoulder caging him between his body and the car. He looks into his eyes. 

"Then let me show you -"

 

Jeonghan knows what's going to happen. But before he could react more, Mingyu closes in. 

And lands his lips on him. 


It is not their first time to get a kiss-and-be-kissed experience. Even the third time. They had many people passed by.

But cringing thought as it may seem, this time is the sweetest. 


"Achoo!-" 

"YOON JEONGHAN!" Mingyu wipes his face using his sleeve. 

"Why do you react so much when you even use your hand with snot on my hair?" 

"YA!" 

He could hardly stop the wave of laughter storming him. His stomach hurts so much. 

Mingyu puts his arms around him and Jeonghan gives in to that always always warm embrace. He feels the stress leaving him. 

 

'How sly,'

 

 


The Proposal


"Not so long ago 
This earth was just a field
Of cold and lonely space
Without you 
Now everything's alight
Now everything's revealed
And the story of my life is all about you

So if you feel the cool winds blowing through your nights 
I will shelter you 
I'm forever here to chase your fears away..."

 

Mingyu takes Jeonghan out like he always do. The taller guy has to mention it a lot of times, remind him every time because Jeonghan is Jeonghan. If he has the choice between sleeping and going to any places, without hesitation, Jeonghan will choose to sleep. They live almost all of their lives around each other; both know they're poles apart.

So when Mingyu calls him that morning, Jeonghan is still under his sheets. 

He hears a long sigh on the other line and the call ended. "How am i suppose to sleep after that?" 

 

-one message received-

Open up. 

 

"What?" 

"Ya Mingyu?" Jeonghan scrams for his door and true enough, 'the boyfriend' (he is quite adamant about naming things since it creates goosebumps and sends shivers all throughout his body) walks in. 

"We have a schedule today," he's clearly disappointed. Jeonghan bites his lower lip. 

"I remember," he manages to answer. He really does. Because of that, it was hard to sleep. And he ended up sleeping too late. He fidgets in place. Mingyu's taller than him but it feels his way way taller now, looking on him with tired eyes. 

'Maybe he's experiencing enlightenment right now. He's too good for me. While im here, taking this way like nothing,' his shoulder drops.

'But i really cared. Everything about him is interesting. But if Mingyu - ' 

 

His heart begins hammering against his chest. 

'What if he's -

"- yet you look tired," he hears Mingyu.

'- tired?'

 

Jeonghan looks at Mingyu's eyes and there is something forlorn in them. Did he just say something about what he's thinking? 

"Why are you making that face?" Mingyu breaks in his thoughts.

"Wha-what face?" Jeonghan covers his face with his hands. 

"Like someone-died-and-you're-about-to-cry face?" Mingyu pries his fingers out of his sight. "Did something happen?"

"You're tired..." he whispers. 

"Who? I was saying you look tired for someone who got longer sleep," Mingyu holds his hand firmly. 

"Im tired?"

'Was he thinking about breaking up?'

 

Jeonghan bounces against Mingyu's chest as the latter pulls him into his hug. When he resisted, Mingyu's arms locks him in. 

"You should start thinking of living with me when you got a bad hobby like this," Mingyu finger-combs Jeonghan's soft hair. 

 

Silence. 

 

Jeonghan likes it when Mingyu does that with his hair. More times when they watch tv shows or series together, Mingyu would sit behind, put his chin on his shoulder and plays with his hair. Being slumped on by him is really annoying. But the next thing he knows, they've fallen asleep. 

"Yeah," he purrs and leaves a kiss on his neck. "My bad my bad."

Mingyu in turn, kisses the top of his head. 

 


"Jeonghan?" Mingyu peeks in to his room. 

"Sorry. Had to do number 2," Jeonghan wears his pants and some shirt he deems neat. "What are you looking at?" 

"Pictures," he points the study and the cork board near it. "This was when we cut classes in junior high - squints his eyes - when we got new uniforms for middle school - laughs - ya who took this? I ran so much my ice cream dropped then i cried - he looks at him laughing - Jeonghan Jeonghan this is when your nose bled and the blood just wont stop, i cried here too. Why is this? - 

 

Mingyu is terribly cute. Has anyone ever hurts his cheeks from smiling too much?

 

"Let's dedicate a wall to these pictures when we transfer on the same roof. Or a whole room," why does his eyes shine so much?

"Ahuh," he chooses to focus on tying his shoe laces. 

 

The bed groans from the added weight - Mingyu climbs on his sleeping ground. He props his head on his right hand, his body tilts to his right side. 

"Jeonghannie -" to which Jeonghannie answers curtly with his eyes rolling and sighing exasperately. Mingyu taps the empty space of the bed beside him. 

"Aren't we going out?" 

"We could be flexible," Mingyu extends his arm. "Come here."

Jeonghan couldn't count the times his eyes rolled because Mingyu is - cheesy. But he indulges him anyway. Who wouldnt. 

 

Hugging is their thing. Mingyu's a er for hugs. Jeonghan actually melts in them. Might also be the reason why he can sleep as fast as his eyes close. For one, sleeping is his infamous hobby after all.

"Jeonghan?" Mingyu speaks through his hair, near his neck. He could feel his breath. 

"Hmm?" 

"I feel so happy I'm scared,"

"Dummy," Jeonghan hits Mingyu's arm lacing on his stomach. His jaw hurts from smiling. 

"Don't you want to wake up every morning like this? Well not every morning, but most of it,"

"It's not so bad," 

"True right? We could also do this," - Mingyu crawls above him and Jeonghan now spoons him.

"Or this," - he turns around, the other sees his chest.

"Or this," - he wiggles down, Jeonghan looks at him buried in his chest.

Until he adjusts at eye level.

"I see your point. Stop making a fuss," the splash of red in Mingyu's face makes Jeonghan embarass. "Having you like a worm every day will be a pain in the ."

Mingyu giggles as he plants a kiss on his forehead. Jeonghan holds his face. He leans on his hand. 

"Seeing each other at the beginning and end of each day sounds neat." 

"Im glad you like the idea."

 

The date happened anyway. Mingyu was a little odd though. He is about to say something but holds onto whatever it is and changes topic. He makes Jeonghan talk when he usually is the noisier, nosier one. He makes a very serious face, contemplating, that worry lines show on his forehead. Jeonghan would grab his arm then, squeezing it lightly. Mingyu would look at him hazily at first and grins widely after a second wink. 

"Do you -"

"I'm hungry," Mingyu cuts him mid-sentence as if he was not able to hear him. He swerves to the side and parks to a nearby restaurant. 

Mingyu's awfully quiet while eating which isn't natural because he tends to exaggerate over food. 

He couldn't help but remember the break-up thought he had that morning. 

'Of course it wont happen. That's not it Jeonghan.'

'Then what?'

'Ask.'

'No no no no no no im scared.'

 

"You should walk the isle," Mingyu says out of the blue. 

Jeonghan's brows make a confused straight line. "What are you talking about?" He stops sipping the cold coffee. 

"When we tie the knot, walking the isle suits you better," he shrugs. 

"Is this why you're silent?" 

"Silent?" 

Jeonghan wants to strangle him there. 

"This is important," Mingyu leans in to the table.

"Then you take the isle. You're model-like," Jeonghan spats. Here he is, working his brains worrying. But Mingyu - he breathes deeply. 

 

In the past weeks, they have been talking about moving in together, houses, food, work schedules, this and that, and it was exciting. They discover things together. But this type of topic stirs things. It makes him look forward to the future. And while he thinks of this future with the man sitting across the table, he does not know what he's scared of. 

Maybe it was what he mentioned, he's too happy that it's frightening

What if he loses him because his overthinking? He cant have that.

'How should i ask Mingyu to marry me anyway?'

 

The waiter comes in an put another set of food covered with silver dome. After he sets the plate on his part of the table, he opens Mingyu's dish first. 

'Vanilla ice cream with lots of whatever. Perfect,' he salivates at the scene. 

"But model or not model, you'll look so beautiful in white," Mingyu grins. "You just have to say yes."

If he could stop wars with a smile, perhaps he could lend the world his Kim Mingyu. Jeonghan is thankful the lights are a little yellow. He has done so much blushing in one day. 

 

But ice cream is ice cream. So when the cloche was removed, he is crestfallen. Some unknown item has taken place over the ice cream. 

He sadly looks at the server who in turn beams more like the sun. Why are you so happy? 

Confused, he looks at Mingyu who was just grinning. Ah this idiot. 

"Where's my ice -" it hit him.

 

It takes a few winks to register the said unknown item. 

 

"Forgive me sir, but would he rather have the ring on top of the ice cream?" 

 

"Puahahahahahahaha," Mingyu laughs like he has never laughed in his entire lifetime. 

Jeonghan is in shock, speechless, and embarassed as hell. But he'll turn deaf from the beating of his heart.

He will have headaches from the onslaught realizations.

 

'Should we start t down our night and weekend schedules?'

'How many extra rooms should we have in the house?'

'You should start thinking of living with me when you got a bad hobby like this,'

'Let's dedicate a wall to these pictures when we transfer on the same roof.'

'Dont you want to wake up every morning like this?'

'When we tie the knot, walking the isle suits you better,'

'You'll look so beautiful in white...'

 

"Kim Mingyu stop laughing. When did this happen?" are the first words he is able to utter.

Mingyu wipes the sides of his eyes. He had a good laugh, this rascal. "Since you're able to catch on," he chortles which earns him a glare. 

"Do you wanna marry me?"

 

'A yes.'

 

 


The Wedding Day


"On this day 
I promise forever 
On this day 
I surrender my heart 
Here I stand, 
take my hand 
And I will honor every word I say 
On this day..."

 

"We are about to start the ceremony..."


Jeonghan did not let the topic go. He was firm - he wanted to be the one who waits for Mingyu. 

And Mingyu just snickers and replies yeah uncommittedly. 

 

It wasnt' too long of a wedding preparation. Their families, the people they invited, the hall, the wedding ceremony participants, the reception, the honeymoon were organized without too much hassle Jeonghan was expecting. 

So he just focused on one thing: how to trick Mingyu into walking the isle. He had that perfectly covered. 

 

"You're not complaining about who-and-who arrangement anymore," Mingyu mentions it two days before d-day. 

"I think it's a waste of energy," Jeonghan says smugly. 'I had to play it cool...'

"Wow," Mingyu chuckles tousling Jeonghan's now short blonde hair. 

 

The wedding day arrives shortly. 

Jeonghan smiles so bright. He stands in front of the door which would open to a new life. Mingyu will not only be the best friend and the boyfriend but the parther, his partner for the rest of his life. He shivers from the thought. He can't stop smiling. 

 

Mingyu was the lanky kid he had befriended in middle school. From then they were inseparable. 

Opportunities came. A lot of golden doors opened. They must make life choices. They took opposite ways. 

They met again. They were older, more mature, but are still friends, are still amazed of their unlost friendship. And they enjoys each other's company. 

They had people in their lives but they end up with each other, for each other.

 

Today, they will be married. If Jeonghan denies being tearful, he is outrageously lying.

 

The door slowly opens. 

This new life is very bright just how the spotlight shines on him.

 

"Jeonghan, Mingyu's on the line," Seungcheol and conspirator number 1 gives him an earpiece. 

"Mingyu?"

"Jeonghan-ah, walk slowly,"

"What -" he looks at Seungcheol who scrunches his nose and pursed his lips.

 

Wonwoo, conspirator number 2, approaches from the side and gives him the bouquet. "Sorry," he whispers loud enough for Seungcheol to hear. 

It dawns on Jeonghan that he would meet Mingyu on the end of this aisle waiting for him, and not the other way around. 

 

'That was why he was smiling confidently...'

 

"Today I lost two dear friends," Jeonghan glares at Seungcheol and Wonwoo. He hears Mingyu laughing on the wire. 

Seungcheol taps his back, "Best wishes." Wonwoo smirks. 

"You traitors." 

 

His sister moves near him, "My good-looking brother's about to cry."

"You know this?" 

"Of course," she answers fixing his collar and brushing the invisible dusts off his chest.

"You're tearing up," 

"Don't tell me what to feel," she grits and entwines her arm with his. 

"I'm gonna punch Mingyu when i reach him," 

"I'll video," they snickers. 

 

"And the other half, Mr Yoon Jeonghan," the emcee announces. 

The claps from the audience signals the march, his march. And though he feels very conscious of the attention, he also feels the warmth his sister radiates, the tears from his mother's eyes, the nods from his father, the happiness shared with their friends and relatives. Most of all, he feels Mingyu's eyes. He could power Seoul forever with that smile.

 

Doesnt his jaw hurt from smiling too much?

 

The aisle is too long and too short at the same time. Regardless, Jeonghan walks slowly. As he reaches him, Mingyu extends his hand. And Jeonghan takes it. He squeezes it hard which makes Mingyu flinch from the sting. But Jeonghan does not let go. Mingyu is all too smug about it.

"Just wait till this ends, I'm gonna punch you real hard," he whispers.

"No one suits the aisle more than you," Jeonghan feels the kiss on his forehead. 

 


"Oh, I've been rehearsin' for this moment all my life 
So don't act surprised 
If the feeling starts to carry me away

On this day 
I promise forever 
On this day 
I surrender my heart 
Here we stand, like I planned 
Please say you'll always look at me this way
Like on this day"

 

"To have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part."

 

 

"Dont you think this is too cheesy for two men?" he drops.

Mingyu laughs as he embraces Jeonghan. 

 

 


 

The song is just beautiful. You got a favorite song? We could rig that one too. Thank you for reading.