Final

Whatcha Say

Well, if you came this far, here's the story! I hope you like it! :)

 

  

He scanned the crowd, looking for a face he knew was hundreds of miles away. There was a twinge of disappointment, but after hanging out with the group when Hyukjae got out two days before, they had told him they'd all be going to Japan. He'd be meeting them there. 

"Donghae!" he heard a voice holler. Donghae looked over. There was Hyukjae, arms outstretched.

"I didn't think anyone was coming," Donghae mumbled as he slammed into his best friend's chest. 

"We all wanted to be here, but Teu- uh hyung had to go to Japan. Also, the managers and everybody thought it would be better if I came since the fans love us together. You know they're probably writing tons of fictions just about this meeting."

Donghae grinned and pulled away from his best friend. He turned to the gathering crowd with a wave. Screams echoed across the parking lot. Hyukjae bent to kiss his cheek. The one manager that came with Hyukjae sighed as he pulled the men toward the waiting van.

Once settled, Hyukjae handed Donghae his phone. The younger looked at him in confusion. Hyukjae smiled gently, pushing the phone into Donghae's hands. 

"Call him,"  Hyukjae urged.

"But why-?"

"He misses you probably even more than you miss him. I told him I would have you call him when I got you."

Donghae stared at the phone like it would read his mind. He flipped it over and over between his fingers. Hyukjae patted his leg and scooted to the far side of the car, giving the younger man some privacy. Donghae took a deep breath and dialed.

"Hello?" the voice on the other end said.

"Hyung..." Donghae barely managed before tears filled his eyes.

"Oh, baby! No no no, don't cry! I miss you! Hyukjae, where's Hyukjae?"

Donghae handed the phone back. Hyukjae gave him a strange look as he took the phone and handed Donghae a pile of tissues. He spoke with their leader for a couple of minutes while Donghae collected himself. As soon as Donghae was ready, Hyukjae handed the phone back.

"Don't you dare cry on me,"  Leeteuk said, voice quiet.

"I'm sorry," Donghae mumbled. "I know I'm being a big baby, but I finally get to spend time with everyone, with you, and not worry about making it back to base in time."

"True, and don't forget you are coming to Japan. We'll see each other again soon."

"I miss you," Donghae whispered.

"I miss you, too, baby Hae. Give me back to Hyukjae now."

Donghae handed the phone back and leaned against the window of the van. He felt like an idiot for being so clingy, but he and Leeteuk had been through a lot to be together. Sadly, though, they still weren't able to go public. He felt a tap on his shoulder.

"Hae, we're here"

Donghae looked up. They were at his apartment. He glanced over at Hyukjae with a question in his eyes. The slightly older man smiled. 

"Fishy, we're here to collect your clothes and things. We're heading to Japan first thing in the morning, so I'm staying the night here with you."

Donghae grinned and threw his arms around his best friend. "Is that why he said we'd be in Japan soon?"

"No, Teukie hyung thinks we're sticking around here for a few days to do a couple of fanmeets before going. This will be a surprise for him."

The two men grabbed their bags and jumped out of the van. The manager told them he'd be back early. That came with an unspoken warning to get some sleep and not drink too much. Donghae was too excited to sleep, which meant he kept Hyukjae awake, which caused them to start a drinking game while watching the latest Game of Thrones episode. 

The manager couldn't stop giving the men dirty looks all the way to the airport. He huffed and sighed as they dragged themselves through the security check. His eyes rolled when both of them curled up together, falling asleep with soft snores as the plane took off. He just hoped that the others would be able to handle the pair once they rejoined their group members.

Luckily for Eunhae, there was very little in the way of screaming fans at the airport. They'd kept it quiet that they were leaving a week earlier than reported. Another of their managers met them at the airport, bags already loaded into the waiting van. He smiled at them as they stumbled to their seats. 

The ride to the hotel was quiet. Donghae chewed his thumbnail while Hyukjae tapped away at his phone, updating all his social media. He took a couple of selfies with Donghae that he uploaded onto a couple of his sites. Donghae tried to smile, but anyone that knew him could see the tiny worry wrinkles just barely visible at the corners of his eyes. Hyukjae patted his leg as they pulled up to the front of the hotel. Yesung was already out front. The manager turned to pair.

"We're filming a reunion with you boys. This will be the first time that this many of you have been out of the military all together. We thought it would be nice to see how you guys interact, as well as capture the looks on everyone's faces when they see you here earlier than they thought."

Hyukjae couldn't stop his smile. "This will be great! I bet Teukie hyung will cry!"

"Jongwoon hyung will also cry, but he'll most likely punch our arms for not telling the truth," Donghae added.

"And Heechul will grab us both into headlocks!" Hyukjae giggled. "Shindong will just standby and let everyone else maul us!"

"Though it's too bad about Kangin hyung and Sungmin hyung," Donghae said softly.

"Yeah," Hyukjae agreed.

"Alrighty boys. Get out of here," their manager said.

They  jumped out of the van. Sure enough, Yesung teared up, then punched both of them in the arms. He muttered something about being happy to not have to babysit their leader any longer. Before they could ask about that, Heechul screeched from behind them. He, too, did as expected. Both of them flailed as he snatched both of them under his arms in a headlock. The surprise came with the oldest member.

"Who are you two picking on now?" Leeteuk asked, walking out of the hotel lobby. "Hyuk? Why are you-? Hae?!"

"Hi there," Donghae said with a small smile and wave. What he didn't expect was the way his arms were suddenly full of the leader of Super Junior. He stumbled under the added weight. Just as he was about to protest and put the older man on the ground, lips pressed against his own.

A hush fell over the small gathering. The managers didn't know how to react, and the other members weren't sure what they should do. As Donghae smiled and leaned into the kiss, Heechul whistled.

"Get a room, you two," he shouted.

Yesung cackled when Leeteuk jumped out of Donghae's arms and stood back. He gave the younger member a shove toward their leader. Donghae whined as he grabbed Leeteuk's shoulder for support. Hyukjae and Heechul just stood there grinning like idiots. Shindong walked out of the hotel to see the other members in different stages of shock and amusement.

"What's up?" he asked.

"Well, hyung just jumped on Donghae and kissed him like there was no tomorrow," Yesung said.

"Donghae kissed him back!" Hyukjae added.

"Guys..." Donghae whined.

"This will be all over the news, gentlemen," the manager said angrily. "We can't stop fans from taking pictures. You have until we get to the studio for the interview this evening to come up with a story."

Leeteuk reached over and grabbed Donghae's hand. "I'm sorry, Hae. I should have been more careful."

"No, Teukie, don't worry about it. I could have stopped you, but I didn't."

"I need you boys to get in the van. We have hair and makeup in an hour."

They all shuffled into the van. Donghae and Leeteuk sat in the far back, with Hyukjae in the seat next to them. The pair sat with their heads touching, knowing that their careers might be totally screwed. The one thing that played through their heads, though, was how bad would it affect the group. There was already Kangin's DUI scandal, Sungmin's big scandal, and now this. Was this the end for Super Junior?

The stylists whispered and stared at the pair as everyone was prepared for the interview. They were going to be on a variety comedy show. All of them had watched Downtown multiple times, and were excited to meet Masumoto and Hamada. The others left the room to go wait backstage. Leeteuk snagged Donghae's sleeve.

"If we're asked about it, let's just tell them the whole story."

Donghae stared at Leeteuk. "The whole story? You mean even from the beginning?"

"It might make all of this make sense. I don't know of any better way to handle it. And don't! We're not going to pretend it was just fanservice and hide. I am not ashamed of you."

"But-"

"We need you," called the PD. "Everything's starting up."

"Let's go, Hae baby."

The pair walked hand in hand to meet up with the rest of their group. The Downtown pair was already out on stage starting the show. The group smiled as they heard snips from several of their most popular songs. The translator motioned for them to go on out. They smiled and bowed at Masumoto and Hamada. The two older men rattled something off, the translator smiled as she repeated their words in Korean.

"What made you want to be on our show?"

"Well, you have been one of the longest running variety shows," Leeteuk answered. "We've all watched Gaki No Tsukai so many times, and with all the times we've been to Japan, we've never been on your show."

Heechul picked up from there. "We figured that with us being the kings of variety shows in Korea, we should try our hand here."

"And with you both being our favorite," Shindong continued, "we wanted to finally be on your show."

"Well, I know I'm awesome and super popular," commented Hamada. "I don't know about this idiot."

Everyone laughed as Masumoto scowled at his partner. He waved a hand and a game wheel came out. Each question was covered up by a task. As the group read through the tasks, they realized the craziness that could happen on a Japanese variety show. There were things on there ranging from "eat something weird" to "dress like a woman". The idea was, you'd experience the task, then you'd answer the question underneath.

The wheel spun for the first contestant: Hyukjae. He stood patiently next to the comedy duo and watched it slow. It stopped on "Two Liter Chug." Hyukjae laughed with everyone as a warm, two liter bottle of root beer was brought to him. He unscrewed the cap and tipped it back. He only made it a third of the way in before he had to stop to belch really loud. Everyone laughed as he shook his head with a grin. He tipped it back again. It took him four total tries before he got the rest of the root beer down. Finally it was time for his question.

"What is the strangest thing you've ever had to buy for a group mate?" Masumoto asked.

Hyukjae laughed. "Condoms! And the question didn't ask for who, but I've had to buy condoms for one specific guys more then once!"

The crowd cheered and catcalled. Hyukjae could even hear a few whistles and a soft chant of Eunhae. They would never guess who'd begged him to go and buy condoms. Hyukjae had been hilarious with it, too. He'd bought the most obscene, scented, glittery, glow-in-the-dark variety he could find.

Shindong was next. The wheel spun and landed on "It's a drag." He laughed as he was directed behind a dressing curtain. The entire time he changed clothes, he kept a running commentary. He talked about how tight the hose were, how y his legs looked, how the dress was a perfect fit, and on and on. When he finally stepped out, the audience cheered. He didn't look half bad like that, but it helped that the Super Junior boys were used to dressing in drag.

After he strutted around for a few minutes, Hamada asked the question "Have you ever caught a group mate dressed in something unusual?" Shindong grinned. He let his eyes wander over the other guys. Hyukjae smiled right along with him. He'd been there the night Shindong saw something he wanted to erase from his mind.

"There was a night that I found someone dressed like a maid. I tried to not ask questions, and left to go stay with Siwon at his place. It's better to let people have privacy if they need it."

The crowd cheered for  Shindong's answer. The Super Junior group was not as innocent as everyone might first think. Donghae was called up next. The wheel spun again. When it stopped, Donghae smiled and sighed. "Chipmunk Cheeks" was the option it landed on. One of the stage crew wheeled out a cart of rice balls. Donghae was directed to eat as many as he could in sixty seconds.

Donghae waited with one hand over the table. Someone yelled "start" and Donghae grabbed for the first rice ball. Sixty seconds was a long time when eating sticky bits of rice stuffed with different fillings. By the end of it, Donghae had eaten eight and was breathing heavily. The other members swarmed around him, picking rice and other bits off his face. 

"Ah, he seems to be the baby of the group," Masumoto said.

Yesung laughed. "He's actually older than several of our members, but us hyungs remember when we were still taking him to high school. He's like our baby brother."

The crowd aww'd at that and Donghae blushed. With all the commotion, his question had not been asked yet. Hamada cleared his throat.

"So, Donghae, have you ever used food to get a love interest's attention?"

Donghae's face burned redder. He even blushed to the tips of his ears. He swallowed down the last bit of rice he had in his mouth as he nodded. The audience cheered, and some chanted Eunhae once again. When asked to elaborate, Donghae took a deep breath.

"There was one time, years ago, that I noticed this person working extremely hard. I, I felt so bad for them that I bought three cup ramen and cooked them. This person gave me a big hug, nothing crazy, but it meant a lot to me to take care of them."

"And are you still with that person?" Masumoto asked with a cheeky grin.

"That wasn't part of the question," Donghae winked.

"Fine, fine," Masumoto grumbled. "Next victim!"

Leeteuk stepped up for his turn. The wheel spun. He watched it go round and round, slowing down until it stopped. He rolled his eyes. The next task was called " Buster." The stage crew wheeled out a massive cardboard box filled with balloons. It was explained that Leeteuk would have to pop balloons with his to find ten golden stars. 

The bell sounded and Leeteuk went for it. He grabbed balloons out of the box and dropped on them faster than his group expected. He was a nervous, excited bundled of craziness. All the answers to the questions so far had involved him and Donghae, but no onewould be able to tieit to them. The other members had left those answers rather vague.

When he found the tenth star, Leeteuk stumbled over to Heechul and draped himself all over his friend. He was sweaty and breathing heavily from the exertion. The comedy duo cheered him for being the fastest one to ever do that challenge on their show. Leeteuk waved a hand as he wheezed.

"And for your question: Have you ever broken anyone's heart?"

 Leeteuk's face drained of color. He could try to come up with a story. He could even just say no. However, Donghae looked at him with his lower lip between his teeth, and the rest of the group members simply looked at the floor. Leeteuk knew this was his chance. Though he and Donghae had made up long ago, this was Leeteuk's chance to truly and completely apologize.

"I have," he said quietly. 

The audience stopped talking. The angel leader, the one that takescare of everyone, had broken someone's heart? What was the story. Leeteuk waited to be asked. He was ready to tell it all. 

"Can you share with us who, or at least give us a background?" Masumoto asked.

"The event happened a bit later, but I'll start at the beginning. He was young, fifteen? Which would have made me eighteen. Still a kid myself. I helped take him to school every single day. That was part of his schedule, and thankfully part of mine. I loved seeing him off to school. I was so proud that he tried so hard with everything. It made me feel like a proud father."

The audience was already whispering. Yesung had mentioned that they took Donghae to school... Could it be that Eunhae was just a cover for the real relationship? They watched Leeteuk sigh and take a deep breath.

"Almost a year went by, and we were practising more and more. I was helping between several groups SM wanted to start. I was exhausted. There were days that I would simply fall asleep standing up. Through it all, he took care of me. He brought me water on many occasions, bread, coffee, and best of all was the huge pile of cup ramen. I shared that with him."

Gasps were heard all around. Donghae had given his love interest cup ramen! What the heck?! Leeteuk looked up at Donghae, who smiled at him. He reached out and grasped the younger man's hand in his own.

"I fell hard for the lovable fishy. He's a hard one to resist. We dated for several more months, maybe even a year. I knew I had to stop it when we went to debut. I told him it was necessary, but he kept telling me that we could handle whatever happens. I tried so many times to break up with him. He's stubborn. I, I, well, I started dating other people. Oh, I guess I would call it dating necessarily. I would make out with  other girls in places I knew he'd see. Finally he did. He caught me like I wanted, but I never expected to feel so ty about it."

The members started gathering a little closer. Donghae draped an arm around his boyfriend. Leeteuk was fighting back tears. It had definitely been a rough time.

"I went to Lee Soo Man one day and told him I wanted to quit. I couldn't explain why, because Donghae would be kicked out along with me. Soo Man told me to get myself together and sent me away. I tried, really I did. Seeing Donghae's lifeless eyes and the passion gone from his dancing broke me. I wanted to make it up to him. With the help of the other members, I set up an apology."

Flashback

"I'm tired, Hyukkie. Just let me go to bed."

"Shut up, Donghae. I'll make you some ramen. I'll even let you pick what kind."

Hyukjae opened the door to the dorm. The smells that wafted out of there hit the two boys. Hyukjae smiled at Donghae's confused face. He slowly backed away as Donghae stepped forward.

"Hyuk... It smells like someone has already been cooking. Wait, where are you going?"

Hyukjae gave the younger boy a shove and slammed the door. Donghae stared at the closed door in shock. What the hell? Music started playing in the background. Donghae followed the sound to the kitchen. Leeteuk bit his lip as he turned to face the younger man.

"I should never have done what I did to you," he whispered as he stepped closer.

Donghae's eyes filled with tears. "Why? Why did you do it?"

"I was selfish. I was wrong, thinking only of myself and how things would affect me. Then I started thinking of you, and I really wanted you to have a chance at fame, at being an idol. But, I realize it now: we were meant to last forever."

"You say you only meant well? That it was for the best? I don't know if I can believe it! I trusted you! I, I loved you..."

"Donghae please! Give me another chance." Tears pooled in Leeteuk's eyes, spilling down his cheeks.

"What I did wasn't smart, I know that. I should have brought my fears to you, worked through them with you, but I really thought I was doing the right thing. I promised your father I'd look out for you, and I take that seriously. I'd do anything for you."

"Anything?" Donghae's voice cracked.

"I swear, Hae. Anything."

"Then hug me."


End Flashback


"We still have arguments. We still fight over things now and then. But! I don't keep anything from him, not my fears, not my heart ache or happiness. He really deserves the best, and I'm not it, but I'm trying to become the best for him."

The audience was sniffling as Leeteuk finished the story. The comedy duo wrapped the show on that note and waved everyone away. As soon as the cameras were off, the entire group let out a collective breath they'd been holding. Leeteuk looked at the rest of his people.

"We're so dead," he said sadly.

"Yeah, but now you two don't have to hide," Yesung added.

"We'll get through it together," Donghae said as he pulled Leeteuk into a tight hug.

"Well, you could all always move to Japan. We don't care as much who you love," Masumoto said gently. He patted Leeteuk and Donghae on their shoulders.

"Let's see what happens," Shindong said with a smile. "We'll deal with things like always. Thisisn't the first scandal SuJu has had."

Heechul laughed. "Yeah, and it won't be the last." He called a stage hand over and handed him his phone. "Can you take a picture of us? I want to load this on Instagram."

They took a few pictures, gave a last round of hugs, then headed out to their hotel. There was a lot on everyone's minds, but one thing held strong: We are Super Junior, we are family. Even if the worst happened, they would still have each other's backs.