exhibitions

serpentimid

Trembling, Hoseok pulls out his work pass and requests for access to the snake exhibition at his workplace. Taehyung holds his arm, shaking him fervently. "Hyung! I'm so excited! I heard they have really cool VR exhibits inside!" Hoseok forces a smile, chewing his lip nervously. "Taehyung ah, don't scare me when we're inside. I can't guarantee I won't hit you.” Taehyung smiles and nods, pulling Hoseok into the exhibition.

The first painting scares the life out of Hoseok. “What the hell is that? Oh my god, is that snake staring at me? Taehyung help! I’m scared!” Taehyung grunts, shaking his head. “Yah hyung, that’s not what you should focus on. Look at all these beautiful sculptures and assets that they made! Cool!” Hoseok grabs onto Taehyung’s sweater apprehensively, slowly walking round the room to observe the exhibit. He stops in his tracks when he faces a life-sized mannequin with snake prints on its outfit.

Shutting his eyes, he nudges for Taehyung to move to the next exhibit quickly. Taehyung snaps a dozen pictures at each exhibit, giggling at Hoseok’s tight lipped expression. A hand shoves him into the room, where Hoseok’s eyes open instinctively and he yells, feeling warmth spread across his cheeks. He screamed at an exhibitor handing over a VR headset for Taehyung and himself to play with a virtual snake.
Taehyung looks obviously embarrassed, yet he manages to howl with laughter. “Hoseok hyung, you should have seen your face! The poor guy was in shock at your scream, leave the man alone cuz he’s doing his job! HA HA” Hoseok slaps Taehyung’s shoulder awkwardly, ushering him into the small theatre where they can create their own snake. “This is exactly what I’ve been looking forward to, creating my own purple snake with glittery all over!”

Grinning at Taehyung’s antics, Hoseok realises why he was in this place from the beginning. He takes out his phone, shooting Taehyung and awarding himself with artistic inspiration. It was time for him to design new art pieces, yet he was lacking a muse. Taehyung turns back to find Hoseok smiling softly. He walks over, leaning onto Hoseok’s shoulders. “Hyung, I hope you’re feeling better. I’ll be done as soon as I finish this!” An acknowledging nod from Hoseok brings Taehyung back to his VR snake. The exhibitor collects the headset back, thanking both of them for their participation.

As they walk out of the room, a lineup of snake bean bags are strewn on the walkway. Taehyung holds Hoseok’s hand and pushes him gently onto the bean bags. They lie for a couple of seconds, basking in the silence of the exhibition. “Shall we move? I heard there’s some interesting portraits in the next room.” Hoseok asks, lifting Taehyung. Moving over to the portrait exhibit, they walk slowly, paying close attention to the intricate details of the wild snakes.

Hoseok subtly interlaces their fingers together, catching a surprised “Oh?” from Taehyung. They exchange smiles, revelling in each other’s presence. Unfazed by the women in the portraits and snake outfits, Hoseok braces himself for the shock caused by the snakes and reassures himself that these were not real, lessening the fear.

After what seemed like an hour, Taehyung drags Hoseok to the merchandise counter. Relief washes through his body as he realises this was the final pitstop before the exit. Taehyung offers to buy Hoseok some memorabilia, a set of pencils that Hoseok would probably use to draw. Hoseok flares his nostrils, shaking his head furiously. “I don’t want anything that has to do with snakes!”

Finally exiting the museum, Taehyung gushes about how much he enjoyed the walk through and Hoseok grumbles jokingly, “You know, the reason why I’m here is because I love you. Otherwise, I would never set foot into this place. I hate snakeu.”