Chapter 1

Cat and Mouse

“That is your new partner.” Ji Chang Wook looked up to the screen incredulously, staring at the lady who was speaking. Partner… Partner…that word kept ringing in his head. Ji wasn’t used to working with others, he was a lone wolf.

He looked down once more at the photograph of a badly taken photograph of a girl. Her face was almost impossible to make out due to the blurry nature of the picture. Chang Wook started to protest but was stopped by the lady on the screen.

“I don’t want any complaints, she has the ability to keep up in this line of work and is more than qualified to join this team, having her reduces the risk of our missions.” Almost immediately after having said her share, the screen turned blank to indicate that she has logged off.

“ARGHHHHHHH That stupid lady making all these decision on her own, I’m perfectly capable of completing these missions on my own” Chang Wook reasoned to himself. -sigh- There was nothing he could do now, the girl was already on her way over anyways. He resigned and slumped onto the couch and propped himself up with his arm and the T.V.

 

 

He started thinking about his life…

Chang Wook was raised by his master after his parents passed away. His master trained him in martial arts and everything else that was needed in his line of work. His job? Anything if it was reasonable pay. They didn’t care whether they were working for the wrong side or not, they did their jobs without question and received compensation. No questions asked. Stealing, protection, anything goes except for killing.

Chang Wook and his master lived in an abandoned building, that on the outside seemed to be on the verge of collapsing. Their quarters weren’t easily found, it was almost like a maze, even the front door was hidden. It was disguised as a giant wooden board that only moved when you triggered the right mechanism. The inside of their living space was much bigger than what it seemed from the outside, much of it was empty with only the necessary furniture that were scattered around the giant room.

Recently his master left as well to complete an unknown task. Chang Wook looked at the photograph once more before setting it down on the coffee table in front of him when he heard the door start moving.

 

 

Chang Wook immediately moved behind a pillar to hide from the intruder. He peeked out from his hiding place, to see a girl enter his room. She gingerly walked into the room, slightly confused as she was informed that someone would be home.

Her guard seemed to be down as she curiously entered, taking in her new surroundings. Chang Wook watched cautiously. He thought to himself that she looked familiar before realizing that this was the girl that was in the photograph.

She had long hair that stopped slightly below her shoulder, it was a light auburn brown. Her eyes were alert and sharp. She was scanning the room, almost as if she was analyzing her escape route incase if something were to happen. Her nose was tall and prominent, her lips complemented her other features. She wasn’t ugly that’s for sure, thought Chang Wook as he retracted his eyes to completely hide himself.

 

Chang Wook craned his neck to catch a glimpse of her again but she wasn't there.