Chapter 1

Do You Remember

Hey... do you remember? Do you remember the first time we met? It was at a party. It was a cool winter's night, I can still remember it like it was just yesterday. I wasn't so keen to go out that night but of course my friends wouldn't take "no" as an answer. And that's when I saw you.  

Mark Tuan.  

You were Miyeon's boyfriend's friend. Best friend to be exact. You were... cute. Tall and really friendly. Honestly, you looked like the type of guy that my mother warned me to stay away from but I don't know, there was just something about you that enticed me. Apart of me wanted to walk up to you and strike a conversation but another part of me told me to stay away.  

Then again, even if I wanted to investigate more I wouldn’t be able to because of how I am as a person. I am highly anti-social and awkward. Human interaction makes me nervous, so most of the time I'm quiet and appear as "unapproachable". You might not have been able to tell back then because I guess I wasn’t completely sober but neither were you. Although my friends peer-pressured me into drinking, I'm actually glad that they did. Without it, I don't think I would have the confidence to talk to you. 

Our group were gathered at the front of the house chilling while everyone was partying at the back. You happened to be standing next to me and I got kind of nervous. I didn't know what to do. 'Should I say something? Maybe I should introduce myself? Should I? Or maybe not...' Were the thoughts running through my head during that time. As I was having a mini battle in my head and most likely unconsciously making faces, you tapped me and "Hi, I'm Mark" introduced yourself with a smile.  

I paused and looked up. "Oh...um Jae, hello..." With a small nod being the awkward potato that I am. Ugh. That was weird. Damn why did I do that.  

"So, do you know whose party this is?" He asked as I looked at him weirdly.  

"Don't you?"  

He chuckled before replying "Nah. I'm actually a plus one of a plus one. Are you close to them?"  

"Ahhh fair enough. I guess so, back in like high school though but we haven't spoken in a long time so I'm amazed I got invited" I slightly laughed a bit.  

"That's alright, always good to get out and have fun, right?" 

I nodded not knowing what else to say. So, we both stayed quiet. 

"It's awkward right" he stated. "I'm sorry if I scared you or anything" he turned to look at me, "You looked kind of lonely."  

"It's okay, just kind of feel like a third? Fifth wheel?" I chuckled. 

"Same here, so how about we both keep each other company?" I looked at him before taking a glance around my surrounding. All the couples were doing their own things, so should I try being social for a change? Stuff it, what do I have to lose anyways.  

"Hmm sure" so we went to sit down to get comfortable because I'm telling you, standing around heels is not fun at all. 

"So, what nationality are you?" He asked. 

"Korean, how about you?" 

"Guess." 

"Hmm I would say Korean but then in a way you don't look like one. Chinese perhaps?" 

He smiled as he looked me in the eyes before giving me the answer. Damn, that smile... , my heart just skipped a beat. "Close, Taiwanese actually. So, can you teach me some Korean?" 

"Korean? No lol my Korean isn't the best. I'm just going to embarrass myself... I can’t." 

"Nahhh it's cool. Just simple words, yeah? Come on. How about hello? How do you say that?" He nudged me playfully.  

"I just say hello in English, I don't speak Korean much unless it's with my mum. Even then its basic too" well... I do speak more but it's not like I'm going to start going into Korean mode, but he doesn't need to know that. 

"Come on, any word. Just one word then I won't ask anymore" he persisted.  

"Well then... Kimchi. There you go, there's your one word. Now, come. Let's get another drink."  I replied before walking off without him. Anything to change topics right.  

I can hear him coming up right behind me, pabo hahah "Heyyy, that wasn't fair" he whined. 

"Heyyy, was so too. You said one word and ANY word." 

"Not cool, I just got played." 

"Maybe some other time, who knows" I said while I poured us our shots and a chaser then handed it to him. "Cheers" I smiled as we took the shot together. Omg, so gross... why did I do this again.  

"So, how about a dance? Can't come to party without dancing right?" 

I laughed. "Is this your way of asking a girl to dance with you?" 

"Depends, did it work?" 

"Depends, do I have a choice?" 

"Nope" so he grabbed my hand and took us to the dance floor... 

And we spent the rest of the night being in each other's company and with our friends. We danced, talked, laughed and got each other's Facebook.  

It was fun, Mark. I thought that maybe, this is the new experience I needed in my life but at that moment I just haven't realised what I had gotten myself into...