two

called my name and came to me

The beautiful stranger walked in the room with his bright face and light footsteps as usual. He went straight to his favorite table.

Jaehyun watched him as the man took out a book, a notebook and some pens from his backpack. The younger guessed today the stranger came for studying; since he started reading and taking notes, his gaze became serious, and his face was full of concentration.

Jaehyun grabbed the pencil in his hand. He smiled at the man’s direction. It was time for him to focus on his own work, too.

Soft leads of the pencil took their time on the white paper, presenting slowly but certainly the face of the man across the room.

Occasionally in the middle of silence and concentration, when Jaehyun brushed the man's eyelashes on the drawing, tried to shade the pair of thin lips gently, or erased incorrect lines carefully as if he was worried that he could hurt the real person, the younger couldn’t hold back some interrupted thoughts. It was like the stranger had his hair dyed a few days ago, and the familiar black hair was now replaced by the very outstanding pink one; Jaehyun had to say that he really liked the new color which made the stranger’s face more brightened and stunning. Also, the stranger had his hair styled today by adding some wavy locks on the top layers. It reminded Jaehyun of a floating pink cotton cloud which was soft and lovely.

Or, like the way the stranger gave some thought to the problem in his book, his thick eyebrows frowned seriously as he thought for a long moment then relaxed when the man found out some ideas. Jaehyun couldn’t understand; that was something so usual but still delightful enough for him to behold.

The stranger’s lips wore a rosy pink shade with a slightly glossy top coat. It seemed like he had a new kind of lip balm. Jaehyun thought it looked beautiful though. The glossy coat made the man’s lips look a bit plumper and more attractive.

Jaehyun noticed that there was also a little baby fat on his cheeks. The younger guessed that he had just gained some weight, and Jaehyun had to subdue himself not to think about what would happen if he could touch them with his fingers. To think those cheeks would be veeeryyy soft—

Jaehyun just didn’t realize there was a sheepish grin that appeared on his lips.

 

Almost two weeks passed, visiting the coffee shop to behold the beautiful stranger and draw him secretly had become a habit to Jaehyun. All of this had started naturally from that Jaehyun needed to get his motivation back to draw to that the stranger and the appearance of him successfully saved the boy’s artist life. However, as days passed by, and as Jaehyun had more and more butterflies in his stomach every time he saw the man, it was no longer a simple drawing inspiration thing. Jaehyun’s previous love experiences were enough for him to understand what those fluttering feelings meant, and now when those feelings came back again even in a stronger way, there was no way he couldn’t realize them.

Honestly Jaehyun felt worried. He was afraid that it was only because his emotion was boosted so fast that he mistook it as a sign of love. Besides, all Jaehyun knew about the stranger was that he had a good look and visited this coffee shop frequently. Who he really was and what his name was, Jaehyun didn’t know. To be honest, Jaehyun didn’t know anything. Then how could he feel confident enough with his feelings for the man?

Jaehyun's right hand hesitated then stopped drawing. The thoughts depressed his mood. It wasn't the first time Jaehyun had thought seriously about this but just felt sad almost invariably. The boy looked at the beautiful stranger sitting across the room again and sighed quietly.

 

Today the beautiful stranger left the coffee shop earlier than usual. When Jaehyun saw him leave the table suddenly, the boy hurried to look at his phone to check the time and was surprised that it was only three o'clock in the afternoon.

Maybe he has some schedules, Jaehyun thought. He looked at the man and couldn’t stop feeling attached.

As the stranger passed by Jaehyun's table, the boy, just like the first day, looked frantically down as well as covered his sketch with both of his arms, and waited until he heard the door closed to look up.

Jaehyun let his eyes follow the way the stranger’s pink hair bounced softly as the man walked down the stairs. He waited for the man’s shadow disappeared completely then turned back to the drawing on the table. The younger remembered the way the stranger picked up his stuff hurriedly and left the table. He might be in a hurry; maybe he had forgotten his next schedule or something. Jaehyun hoped the stranger could catch up his schedule safely. The boy then took his pencil again and finished the sketch.

 

 

Unlike other days, Jaehyun lingered to wait for Johnny to end his shift. Johnny had sent him a message telling him that today the older would receive his monthly salary, so he wanted to buy his little brother a big dinner. Jaehyun didn’t know how big it would be, but if it was about having a free meal then of course the boy agreed immediately.

Jaehyun was waiting for the older in front of the coffee shop in order for both of them to leave conveniently. It didn’t take too long for the boy to see the door opened then the older rushed towards him like a whirlwind, pulling him into a hug.

"You always overdo, hyung." Jaehyun took Johnny's fingers off his shoulder teasingly. Johnny pushed him away suddenly, making a serious look at him.

"You don’t want to eat free, do you?"

It didn’t take more than a second for the younger to grab Johnny's arm and act cutely with the support of his very cavernous dimples. "I-did-not-said-that!"

Then Johnny returned quickly to his aegyo self, shaking his body to follow the younger. "Oh-really?"

"Ah, hyung!" Jaehyun let go of his hand, facepalming as if he had no words to say to the older. Johnny saw that and just chortled.

 

They went to a small Japanese restaurant that Johnny wanted to try before when Jaehyun said he had no ideas for dinner.

After having ordered a few dishes, Johnny turned back to Jaehyun. Seeing the younger lost in thought, Johnny chuckled.

"Was there anything wrong with your muse?"

Jaehyun looked up, shaking his head immediately. "No, there was nothing." The younger wondered how Johnny knew whom he was thinking of.

"I think your face is more sincere than you yourself, Jaehyun."

It turned out that Jaehyun's face was all blushed, and even his ears went red. The younger was about to respond, but that was when the staff brought them food, so he just kept quiet. Jaehyun waited for the staff to leave then he started.

"I don’t know, hyung."

"You don’t know what?"

"I, I don’t know if I really have feelings for him."

Johnny widened his eyes, but he wasn’t that surprised. Actually, Jaehyun had asked him about this a few times. Johnny thought maybe it was because the younger hadn’t found anything that would guarantee his feelings as well as what was going on between him and the stranger yet, so that was why the boy kept thinking about it. Johnny considered a moment before he said.

"You know, when you really give some thought to something, surely you have already had feelings for it, and if it's about a person then it means you pay attention to that person seriously. Ah, it seems like last time I said something like this, too."

"Hyung, I’m really asking you." Jaehyun whined.

"And I’ve just given you a serious reply." Johnny said between jest and earnest.

The older watched the cheerless boy poking some udon in his bowl pathetically and decided that was enough for the younger to be worried and upset. Johnny asked, this time he was more serious.

"Jaehyun ah, why are you turning into a gloomy mess like this? What happened today?"

"It was nothing, hyung. I just thought that I didn’t know anything about that person, even about his name, and if I felt fluttered before him, it felt like it was just for his beautiful look…"

"It wasn’t a nothing, Jaehyun." Johnny sighed. "So that’s why you said that you weren’t sure if you really liked that guy? Because you didn’t know him, and you were afraid that you liked his appearance only, not he himself?"

Jaehyun nodded quietly.

The younger waited for a quick reply from Johnny as the older always did to comfort him, but he didn’t hear anything. Jaehyun looked up at Johnny in surprise to find the older grinning proudly in front of him. Jaehyun frowned when the older ruffled his head jovially.

"Hyung, don’t mess my hair up." The younger pouted.

"Not talking about how beautiful that guy looks, then how do you feel when he appears?" Johnny asked suddenly. Jaehyun didn’t hesitate for a second to reply.

"I’m excited."

"When someone, me for example, talks about that guy, how do you feel?"

"Like how, hyung?"

"Like when I said he looked pretty, or when I simply talked about him with you."

"Then…" Jaehyun paused. He looked at Johnny for a moment, and the older understood that he was asking for permission before continuing speaking. As expected, Jaehyun was always a well behaved boy.

Johnny nodded.

"I don’t like it."

Johnny burst out a laugh. "Huh?"

Seeing the younger kept drinking and ignored his question, the older kicked Jaehyun’s leg under the table and tried to ask him again. "You don’t like what?"

"Well," Jaehyun pouted, using a glass of water to cover his flushed face. "I don’t like it when you praise the man."

The younger saw Johnny trying hard to stop his laughter. "What if that was someone else?"

"Definitely no one!" Jaehyun protested loudly then covered his mouth with his hands hastily. He didn’t intend to make it aggressively like that, but the boy somehow couldn’t control it. Jaehyun looked up at Johnny with apologetic eyes. The older just giggled.

"Okay, okay, I won’t praise your person anymore."

"He’s not my person."

"Just not yet." Johnny winked.

"You're not serious at all, hyung." The younger whined sulkily. Johnny adjusted his seat then chuckled at the younger.

"So now I’ll be more serious to ask you this question, okay? When you think of that guy, what was your first thought? "

"See him. I want to see him again." Jaehyun said right away. Johnny smiled with satisfaction.

"You know, in Korean, that you want to meet someone had the same expression with that you miss that one."

Jaehyun's face had cooled down a bit for a while, but now it seemed to get crimson again thanks to Johnny’s words.

"Wh-what do you mean, hyung?"

"It’s so obvious, Jaehyun. You don’t want anyone else to praise that guy, you become excited when you get to see him, and when you can’t see him, you miss him and just want to see him again. Not to mention that you’re always afraid that your feelings for him aren’t sincere enough. It would take a long way to call this ‘love’, but it can’t be denied either. You definitely have sincere feelings for him, boy. You just overthink."

Jaehyun listened thoroughly to Johnny. It was embarrassing to hear those words from the older, but he really thanked Johnny for pointing the matter out for him. Jaehyun thought the older was right. Maybe it was just because he thought too much without looking at the other clear things and accepting them.

While Jaehyun was thinking, Johnny added to reassure both of them. "Moreover, all the things that made you worry about the feelings for that guy were beyond drawing, right?"

"Yes, it was." Jaehyun replied sheepishly.

"We’re safe now." Johnny let out a sigh of relief, raising his hands to massage his temples exaggeratedly. "It’s really hard not to worry about you, Jeong Yoonoh."

Jaehyun chuckled. His face now was a little brighter than before. The younger kicked Johnny’s leg under the table. "Don’t use my birth name when you make fun of something, Seo Youngho hyung."

"Ah, you little brat," Johnny burst into a laugh. "I use it because I like it. Okay?" The older blinked innocently. Jaehyun just kicked his leg one more time.

The dinner was almost declined until Johnny stomach made a rumbling sound then the boys laughed together, sweeping the table quickly before their delicious dishes cooled off.

 

 

As they walked to the dorm, Jaehyun suddenly clapped his hands. Johnny raised his eyebrows at him curiously.

"What’s that?" The older asked. Jaehyun just grinned sheepishly.

"I’m thinking about why that person visits the coffee shop quite often like that. Maybe it’s because he lives around here, or he studies at our university."

"Really?" Johnny chuckled. "Or it’s just because he's on his way, or simply he likes our drinks."

"Oh, I haven’t thought about that."

Johnny laughed when seeing the younger's expression turning from an amused one into a very bored one in the blink of an eye because of his comment. To help the boy feel better, Johnny thought for a moment and said. "Let’s assume that he really studies in our university. Then which academic year do you think he's in?"

"I think he’s in the same year with you, or with Taeil hyung at least." Jaehyun answered firmly in spite of the previous feeling of disappointment.

Johnny couldn’t help but feeling interested. He didn’t expect that stranger to affect Jaehyun's emotions and thoughts strongly like this. "Why’s that?"

Jaehyun fell silent for a moment then grinned bashfully. "Honestly I just guess so. It’s partly because I've never seen him among the students in my academic year."

"Mm," Johnny nodded along. "But have you ever thought about the departments, not to mention the number of the students of the whole school?"

"Ah, I guess I just talk nonsense again." Jaehyun scratched the back of his head. Johnny patted the younger's shoulder.

"It’s okay though. Anyway, the new semester is going to start next week. If you want to check if that guy’s really in our school, I can ask around for you."

At first as the offer was made, Jaehyun was excited. However, when he really gave some thought to it, a part inside Jaehyun was down again. He shook his head.

"I think it’s not time yet."

"What do you mean?" Johnny was stunned. "What’s that, Jaehyun?"

Jaehyun just shook his head, refusing to answer.

"Come on, Jeong Jaehyun!" The older whined, but Jaehyun chose to ignore him.

As Jaehyun pondered, the younger realized that he wasn’t confident enough to face the stranger. He didn’t know how to greet or talk to that one when the younger met him in person. Most of all, Jaehyun didn’t know how to explain that he’d been watching and drawing the man secretly for the past two weeks. The stranger would think of him as some erted stalkers or something like that. Jaehyun just didn’t want to face the real act of a scenario where the stranger hated him and hid from him for ever.

That’s right. Jaehyun sighed. It’s not time yet.

 

 

 

When Jaehyun woke up and checked his phone, the boy almost swore and dashed out of the bed. If this was not the same situation with that of a few days ago, Jaehyun would suppose that it was a déjà vu. Nope, it was definitely not a déjà vu. Jaehyun was late for his date again.

Just like a few days ago, Jaehyun rushed to the counter, ordered his drink and paid for it without checking the menu, and didn’t spare a glance at the staff either because he knew that was Johnny by those tsk sounds from a very familiar voice on the other side of the counter. There was just one different thing. That was when Jaehyun took his waiting number, Johnny grabbed his hand abruptly.

"Hyung?"

"Jaehyun, that person is here, but" The older wanted to say something, but since he looked so awkward, it seemed to be something difficult to say.

However, Jaehyun didn’t have much time now as Johnny had just told him that the stranger had come. The younger lost his patience.

"Hyung, let’s talk about that later. Okay?" He said, hurriedly pulling back before going upstairs.

Johnny exhaled, suddenly felt a headache. It looked like today would be a long day.

 

Jaehyun was glad when his table was still available. He sneaked into the seat before he could draw anyone's attention to him, especially the stranger’s. The younger gave himself a few seconds to put his backpack aside and calm down. Then as usual, Jaehyun raised his head up and looked around the room, acting like he did it unintentionally before landing his eyes on the very familiar table on the other side of the room.

It was before Jaehyun noticed that the beautiful stranger was no longer alone.

Today, there was another stranger sitting with him. They sat across from each other, and the pretty face of the one Jaehyun cared about was all blushed apparently because of the words of the other.

Jaehyun bewildered.

What's happening? Who’s that guy?

 

 


 

Okay this is another mess TvT I'm sorry but it's late here, so I'll fix it later TvT