White Knight

White Knight

They're at it again. It's quite admirable that nobody's been able to catch them yet. Especially since they're not exactly subtle, even more so if you pay special attention to their interactions.

Irene and Seulgi. But, right now, they're just Joohyun-unnie and Seulgom sleeping together on the couch inside the waiting room. With Seulgi enveloping Joohyun-unnie tightly with her arms while Joohyun-unnie's face is buried against her neck. Their legs are entangled with each other and even the most naive and innocent human being will definitely look at them and think, That's not how friends sleep with each other.

I should probably go and scold them because, if anybody else had gone inside the room before me, it would've have been disastrous. Most of the time, it's not just the paparazzi that exposes industry secrets, it's the insiders. 

I sigh tiredly, opting to sit by the door so I can immediately hear anyone who might be approaching our waiting room. The entire stadium is packed since the shooting for the Idol Olympics is about to start in a few hours, we got lucky to have a room to ourselves. But most of the idols go around barging and socializing with each other so the urge to hit the sleeping figures intensifies because how can they just carelessly sleep in that position in a place where literally anybody can catch them.

I shake the thought away as soon as it comes because I don't really have the heart to wake them up, especially since Joohyun-unnie just came back from Jakarta two days ago and she had to go straight to Sooyoung's birthday celebration afterwards. Then she had to wake up early the next day to cook for the celebration with just the members. I feel guilty again since I was supposed to help but I just recovered from my cold so Seulgi also woke up early to assist Joohyun-unnie in the kitchen instead. Then we celebrated until past midnight, even when knowing that we have to come here really early the next morning.

So Joohyun-unnie is probably a walking zombie right now since she barely slept since landing from Jakarta and I know that Seulgi barely functions well if she doesn't get to sleep in as much as she can.

I'm interrupted from my thoughts when Joohyun-unnie mumbles something in her sleep which causes Seulgi to hold her even tighter.

I smile to myself, I'll let them have their sleep for a bit, they've earned it.

•••••

They're sticking together more than usual.

The thing with Joohyun-unnie and Seulgi is, they're painfully awkward with each other whenever they're exposed with cameras. It's probably because they try so hard to limit their interactions so they don't accidentally slip up and expose themselves.

However, today, since they're both half awake and waiting for the male idols to be done with the preliminary 100 meter race, they seem to have forgotten that some of the fans can still catch them on camera.

Joohyun-unnie is currently leaning against Seulgi, her back against Seulgi’s front as she sits between Seulgi’s legs. The only thing that saves them from being too obvious is the fact that Sooyoung is also slumped sleepily against them.

I can’t help but let out an amused laugh when I spy one of Seulgi’s arms wrapped loosely around Joohyun-unnie's waist. She doesn’t usually do this in public but I know why she’s acting like this.

Contrary to popular belief, Seulgi does get jealous from time to time. And I’ve noticed that she got really restless and pouty when Joohyun-unnie had to leave for Jakarta and host with Bogum-ssi again. It was kind of hilarious when she spent the entire day glued to her phone chatting with Joohyun-unnie and then went into a pouting fit when the first batch of pictures featuring Joohyun-unnie and Bogum-ssi were released.

Really, how do they expect me not to know about their relationship when they practically flaunt it around for everyone to see. The only reason why Sooyoung and Yerim don’t know is because of my hard work at covering for them.

I snap out of my thoughts when Yerim nudges me to tell me that it’s our turn now and we’re playing archery. I stand up and stretch for a bit, registering the couple beside me helping each other up.

Their shippers are going to have a field day when the fansites release the photos for this event. Yes, I know about those because of a long story involving Yerim, Sooyoung, and a wandering smartphone that Yerim claims to have picked up from somewhere.

They made us sit on the chairs across the archery target and when I saw that Seulgi is about to grab Joohyun-unnie’s hand, I immediately placed myself in between them. Because, seriously, enough is enough. So now I’m sitting in between them trying my best to ignore Joohyun-unnie’s questioning glances and Seulgi’s quiet glares. Seulgi really is not in a good mood today. It’s been days since she got Joohyun-unnie to herself and it’s showing. I can also practically feel the lenses of the cameras that the fansites use going crazy with this development.

Great. Now I ended up squeezing myself into this mess.

•••••

The archery game is going well until Seulgi scores a ten.

Of course, we are all happy as her teammates, so we jump around and cheer but then I notice that Joohyun-unnie is standing up, probably to go and hug Seulgi or something. In a snap decision, knowing that Joohyun-unnie hugging Seulgi right now will just end badly because Seulgi will definitely hug her back enthusiastically and that’s just really out of character, I turn to my side and tug Joohyun-unnie into a friendly hug.

I cringe as I feel Seulgi’s glare at the back of my head so I let go of Joohyun-unnie quickly and give Seulgi a thumbs up. Nobody else seem to notice the next brief glare that Seulgi shot me so I just shrug it off.

Covering for them is really tiring. I should get paid for this.

•••••

When the shooting is finally over and we’re all on the way home, Seulgi’s still giving me a bit of a cold shoulder and the occasional pout.

It’s probably because of the hug. Okay, maybe I shouldn’t have done that when she’s still fresh off pouting about Bogum-ssi. But what’s done is done, so I just give her an apologetic smile.

When we reach the dorm, everyone immediately enters our respective rooms except for me and Sooyoung. I see Sooyoung frowning at me from my peripheral vision as I rummage through the fridge for some milk.

Unnie, did something happen between the three of you?” she asks. 

“What?” I reply after choking slightly on my milk, “What do you mean?”

“I don’t know,” she frowns even more but she rubs her eyes and I see that as a chance for escape, “You guys are acting weird since this morning.”

I laugh awkwardly, hoping that Sooyoung is sleepy enough not to notice, “We’ve just been sleepy all day long. Why don’t you rest as well? You already look dead on your feet.”

Sooyoung stares for a few more seconds before shrugging and yawning, “I’ll do that. Good night, Seungwan-unnie!”

“Good night Sooyoung,” I respond before sighing, cleaning up the glass that I used and entering my room that I share with Seulgi.

She’s already dressed in pajamas looking ready for bed but she’s standing by as if waiting for me.

“You’re sleeping already?” I ask tentatively gauging if she’s forgiven me already for earlier.

“Yeah,” she nods before hesitantly adding, “I’m sleeping in Joohyun-unnie’s room tonight.”

I look at her in surprise. I’m aware that she sneaks out of our room from time to time to go sleep in Joohyun-unnie’s room but this is the first time that she’s actually telling it to me. She starts to turn slightly red but she doesn’t look away, as if daring me to say something.

And that’s where I understand. This dumb bear really thought I was going for Joohyun-unnie earlier and now she’s practically given me the closest thing to a confession about their relationship because she got jealous.

I shake my head to stop myself from accidentally laughing out loud.

“Okay,” I tell her and she blinks in surprise at my nonchalant tone, “Good night, Seulgi!”

She stands there for a few more moments, she seems to be analyzing my reaction, before nodding slowly, “Good night, Seungwan.”

She gives me a small smile as she leaves our room, carrying the hairless lion plushie that she brings everywhere and I smile to myself.

Well, they’ll admit it if they’re ready. I don’t really mind if they take longer to tell me.

I’ll stay as their white knight for now. As long as I’m needed to.