One

WILD WILD WEST

Something's spooked the horses today.”

Probably just a dust devil.” Solomon Dong had made himself comfortable at a back table of the local saloon. From here he had a good layout on the floor, the doors creaking slightly in their hinges underneath the gentle sound of bar piano keeping a time on the local's conversations. From this vantage he could see anyone who came in and was barely more than a few feet from the nearest upstairs 'exit'. Solomon Dong was an outlaw, and what came with the territory was having a good eye, “Good afternoon.” A thin man had just made his way inside, using only one half of the swinging café doors he removed his hat to the bartender's sardonic greeting and dusted it off slightly onto the floor, that wouldn't get him the best service here but it didn't seem like he was looking to wet his whistle.

...Whiskey.” His voice was avoiding, eyes surreptitiously scanning the room as the bartender took an already watered down glass from underneath the bar before turning to retrieve the lowest grade whiskey from the back shelf.

Two bits.” He was attempting to maintain some air of casualty but he was clearly taken aback by the request.

Oh, really? Uh...” Fumbling in the pockets of his woollen trousers underneath the tired glare of the saloon proprietor and barkeep, the thin man managed to come up with the correct payment, which was in his favor. If he'd needed change the request might well have been denied and he didn't seem the type to argue if that was the case, “Thank you-I mean...yeah, well, thanks...” He'd lost the cool exterior he'd been hoping for, a slightly deflated look now on his youthful features as he lifted the glass with a frown, it didn't even look like he'd wanted it but there was bound to be a method to this approach. As his eyes lifted again, a glint crossing them when he was left looking in the outlaw's direction, Solomon knew just who he was.

 

Is this seat taken?” Lifting his chin from where it had been nestled in his bandanna, Solomon gave a cheerful smile that wasn't mimicked in his eyes.

Pull up a chair, partner.” He may have been laying it on a little thick.

Thanks.” As his sudden companion moved his skinny fingers to grip the backrest of the wood, Solomon got a good look at his demeanor and how he was dressed. Lawman, definitely. The scrape of the legs against the worn floorboards caused a mild flinch of discomfort, the man was clearly new to the job. He probably hadn't been in town for more than a week, “...Is the bartender always so-”

Yeah, that's Vincent for you,” It was said with a knowing tone. Solomon had known Vincent Lee longer than he'd known anyone, and he'd run up a nice bar tab for the privilege of being his one and only friend in town. Not that it was much of a surprise, Vincent Lee tended to be abrasive, “I wouldn't drink that either, the water around here's not too good unless you're paying for it.” The yet to be formally identified lawman lowered the short glass from where he'd only just lifted it to his lips to the passing warning.

...thanks for the heads up...” Another whinny from outside the saloon caught some of the patrons attention, maybe a dust storm was on the horizon, the only other thing that had the mares so worked up before had been-, “I'm here to take you in.” It was abrupt, but Solomon hadn't been expecting much more seeing as this new sheriff was obviously still green.

Look, no offense, but there's only one man who can bring me in.” The clatter of his badge being placed on the tabletop only brought a more genuine smile to the outlaw's lips, “Nice try.”

...But I'm the sheriff.” He seemed crestfallen, as if the shiny star alone should have managed to awe someone as notorious as Solomon Dong. He would need to put him in his place, just this once, and then they could start the usual cat and mouse routine until one of them wound up dead.

And it's a mighty fine title too, but like I said, there's just one man who can take me in and I'm more concerned about when he's going to be taking me out.” The skinny new sheriff was stumped, what man could possibly have more clout with the local outlaws?

...Who?” Solomon let out a brief chuckle to the furrowed eyebrows, even they seemed thin and unimposing on a man like this.

New to the area as well as the job?” He must have been from out East if he hadn't heard. The Western frontier wasn't run by any law as it was conventionally known, it was a wonder any criminals still found haven here because there was every possibility, if you did, that you wouldn't be around tomorrow. Of course, that was all up to luck, everything was when it came to-, “As a matter of fact, how long have you been slinging that badge?” His tone had turned suddenly serious, the other man glancing down to where he'd left it and wondering why that should make a difference so long as he had the power to arrest offenders.

About a fortnight.”

Oh man, your name's probably gotten around then, if I were you I'd get out of town.” Solomon's words weren't taken with any heed, why should they be? For someone who didn't know it just looked like another lawbreaker speaking with bravado.

Hey.” He didn't have to sound so offended, jobs like his came with a lot of unlisted perks and this was just one of them. A bounty hunter was just as likely to collect if it was someone who broke the law or someone who was meant to preserve it.

I was just giving you fair warning.” Fair or not, it was too little too late. A figure appearing within the entrance of the saloon and deciding to interrupt the somewhat peaceful merriment of the townsfolk with a thunderous entrance that grabbed all attention. The doors had been kicked in by a black legionnaire's boot, the same one now planted firmly on the uneven wooden floorboards and supporting the bow-legs of its owner. Dee Kang was back in town.