Chapter One

In the Morning

“Aga,” Kihyun calls murmurs softly, reaching forward to brush his husband’s bangs from his face. Hyunwoo moans in his sleep and turns on his other side so as to avoid being woken up. Kihyun chuckles affectionately as he shakes the older’s shoulder instead. “You need to get up,” he continues. “You’ll be late for work if you don’t.”

Hyunwoo blinks his eyes at this, a small pout set on his lips. Kihyun yelps out a laugh at the adorable expression. He leans forward to give the other a gentle peck on the lips before pulling away fully to pull hard on his muscular arms. 

“Come on, yaja,” he says, succeeding in pulling Hyunwoo up into an upright position. “I let you sleep for as long as you can manage today.”

“Have you gotten the kids up?” he asks in a low mumble. He rubs at his eyes before looking around to find his glasses and shoving them up his nose. He can’t help but grin sweetly at seeing the love of his life first thing in the morning. Kihyun hums as he nods in affirmation that he did, indeed, get the kids out of bed already.

“They were easier to wake up than you,” he teases, rolling his eyes as if annoyed. “Even Wonnie got out of bed faster this morning than you did.” Hyunwoo chuckles knowingly at this, understanding all too well how hard it is to get their middle son up on a good day. “Come on, Hyunwoo,” he says as he nods toward the door. “It’s almost time for the boys to leave for school, and they want to say goodbye before they do.” Hyunwoo nods, and he sluggishly begins to get out of the tangled-up covers around his legs. 

Hyunwoo follows Kihyun to the dining room, his sight still adjusting to all the light bombarding his eyes. He squints around the familiar home, an easy smile coming to him as he thinks of all that he’s built with Kihyun in the past years.

“Appa!” a high-pitched voice greets, immediately bringing an ear-to-ear smile of delight to the man’s ears. One of his youngest sons, Jooheon, smiles over at him from the table, a little bib with a honeybee on it splattered with food to match his face hanging from his neck. His husband sighs beside him and goes over to wipe up the boy’s face. Hyunwoo goes over, as well, ruffling Hoseok’s and Minhyuk’s hair as he passes them. He takes a seat between Hyungwon and Jooheon. He plucks up the younger from his seat after Kihyun is finished cleaning him up before turning to Hyungwon, who’s listlessly poking at his breakfast.

“Hyungwon-ah,” he says with a heavy sigh, “you’ve got to eat. The school is going to start wondering if we actually feed you or not.” Hyungwon sighs a sigh very similar to his father’s as he drops his utensils and sits back in his chair.

“I’m not hungry,” he pouts, pushing up his glasses to rub at his eyes. Hyunwoo frowns, glancing over at Kihyun with a questioning look.

“He refuses to eat until he figures out some dance move that’s been giving him trouble…” Kihyun purses his lips at his own words, shaking his head as he picks their youngest, Changkyun, up from his high chair and sits down with him. He begins to spoon-feed the three-year-old, making silly faces to get the spoiled boy to open his mouth. 

“I can help you after work, if you want,” Hyunwoo offers, knowing how frustrating it could be to be stuck on a particular move. He’s known that irritation many times throughout his time. Even now, as a company choreographer, he feels that aggravation every now and then. Hyungwon hums and stands from the table with his plate in-hand.

“When you get home from work,” he says bluntly, “it’s too late to try and work on anything, and you’re always so tired on weekends you just sleep all day. I’ll figure it out on my own.” He then leaves the room without looking back. Hyunwoo blinks in surprise at the table, silently holding Jooheon closer to himself. 

“Yah!” Kihyun shouts after their son, the tips of his ears turning red with annoyance. “Hyungwon-ah! You come back here and apologize to your father!”

“It’s alright,” Hyunwoo mumbles, trying for a smile. Kihyun whirls back to face him, his lips pursed in defiance. “He’s at that age… Plus, he has a point, I suppose. I haven’t really been around that much lately…”

“He still shouldn’t talk to you like that,” Kihyun insists, though he knows it’s a feeble argument. Hyungwon is a strong-willed boy, not unlike one of his father’s, and he won’t stand down from his defiant ground until later in the day. He’ll apologize once he gets home from school, Kihyun is sure. Despite his blunt nature, he doesn’t mean to be disrespectful. 

“I’ll talk to him, Eomma,” Hoseok offers, straightening his posture slightly. “Just leave it to me.” Kihyun smiles affectionately at their oldest, readjusting his hold on Changkyun to pull at the boy’s cheek. He always works so hard to be a good son, someone who’s dependable and worthy of the family name… It warms Kihyun’s heart to no end, despite his worry that his son is forcing himself to grow up too fast.

“Just leave him be, hyung,” Minhyuk tells him around a mouthful of food. “He’ll apologize on his own. He just has a temper like Eomma, and it gets the better of him… just like Eomma.”

“What was that, Minhyukkie?” Kihyun asks, pretending to be annoyed though he’s really just amused. He twists his lips in a displeasing way as he squints at him with an almost-accusing glare. “I’m sure you really just meant that I’m the best parent ever, and that you have no idea how you’d live without me to take care of you. I know you didn’t say anything that’d result in you helping your appa clean out the garage next weekend.” Minhyuk smiles brightly, a toothy grin that could light up a room. Hyunwoo is sure he got that smile from Kihyun. 

“Of course, Eomma,” he says, trying for an easygoing chuckle, though he totally buys the threat. Kihyun hums, satisfied, and glances at his watch.

“Alright everyone,” he announces, “it’s time to leave for school.” Hoseok and Minhyuk nod dutifully, finishing up what little food remain on their plates before taking them to the sink like the good sons they are.

“Me, too, Eomma?” the infant in his arms chirps excitedly. Kihyun pushes out an amused breath through his teeth and coos at his baby.

“Why’re you in such a rush to leave me, Changkyunnie?” he asks as he fakes a pout. “Do you hate Eomma that much?” Changkyun cries out at this, throwing his chubby little arms around Kihyun’s neck.

“No, Eomma, no!” he insists. “I love you, Eomma! I never wanna leave Eomma! Don’t make me leave!” 

Kihyun can’t help but coo at the quick turnaround, and he hugs his son close to his chest. 

“You never have to leave Eomma if you don’t want to, Kkungie,” he assures him while petting his hair. He kisses the top of Changkyun’s head, reveling in the affection the boy is showing. He knows one day it’ll dissipate, as it did with all his brothers, but he’ll hold onto it as long as possible. 

“Bye, Eomma!” Hoseok and Minhyuk say simultaneously, kissing either of Kihyun’s cheeks. Kihyun smiles at them, telling them he loves them as they say goodbye to their youngest brothers and father, as well. But, then again, there are mornings like these when his sons are incredibly sweet, and he revels in them. 

“That’s my cue to leave, as well,” Hyunwoo murmurs, his eyes still downcast. He kisses Jooheon’s forehead and hugs him close before putting him back into his seat. Jooheon whines slightly and paws with fleshy hands at his father. Hyunwoo merely chuckles under his breath and sets a hand on his son’s head to soothe him. Kihyun moves to the other side of the table with Changkyun still in his arms to kiss his love’s cheek. 

“Have a good day, yeobo,” he tells him, smiling up at the older with a dazzling smile. Hyunwoo finds himself smiling as well, a sweet buddha-like grin that causes his already-narrow eyes to become mere crescents. He kisses Changkyun on the top of his head before pressing a loving kiss to Kihyun’s forehead. 

“You, too, aga,” he says, squeezing Kihyun’s upper arm affectionately before following his sons out the front door. He watches them head off in the direction of school, a fond smile on his face. Hyungwon’s shoulders are hunched forward, and he’s reading a book as he walks. Hoseok, however, seems to be having a very animated conversation with his younger brother, waving his arms about and an annoyed expression on his face. Minhyuk merely walks behind them, his hands folded behind his back and a serene smile dancing across his lips as he looks at the scenery around them. 

Hyunwoo turns and then gets in the car and drives off to work. 

 

Kihyun gathers up any stray dishes from breakfast as Changkyun and Jooheon play together in the living room. He can’t help but smile at the delighted giggles floating in from the room. He hums a small tune under his breath as he begins running a sink of dishwater to wash the dishes, envisioning all that he plans to do with his sons today. 

It’s days like this, in which he can just spend time with his sons and watch their innocent faces light up with delight, that make it worth getting out of bed in the morning.