fuori dalla notte (out of the night)

you are familiar (in ways that i'm looking for)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Jackson Wang had extended the invite to his annual Halloween party, Kihyun hadn’t really thought much of it other than cool. Jackson’s parties were legendary, the talk of the school – and often the town – in the week or so following the event, and while Kihyun had never gone before, often too busy studying for some class, or jury, or another, the fact that Jackson had pointed invited him this time made him a little more compelled to attend this year. Granted, that compulsion might also have something to do with the way Minhyuk’s eyes had lit up when describing how Jackson had asked him following a dance practice, and the way Jooheon had grinned like madman when recounting the previous year’s shenanigans.

And it wasn’t like they had anything better to do. As juniors in college, Kihyun and Minhyuk were both too busy with their projects and classes to focus on having a social life. Kihyun was a music major, emphasis on both voice and piano, and between a myriad of classes, practices for his junior recital and for other recitals he guest appears at, and his few extracurricular activities, Kihyun had no time for an active social life. Besides, he saw the music and theater students often enough, and that was enough for him.

Minhyuk, on the other hand, was double majoring in theater and dance, and save for the few classes he and Kihyun shared each day, Kihyun only ever saw Minhyuk at dinner and when they were both returning to their shared room for the night. By eight in the morning when Kihyun would be rolling over to swat as the alarm meant to get him out of bed for his music history class, Minhyuk would be gone for the day

Jooheon, as a sophomore, was something of an anomaly, having figured out how to balance academics, a social life, and sleep. Secretly, Kihyun believed that Jooheon had somehow either figured out the secret to living on two hours of sleep each night, or he was a vampire. Only the fact that Jooheon thrived on sunlight swayed Kihyun away from favoring the latter option. He, too, was a music major, focusing on composition and lyric production. If he had his way, he’d graduate and go to work for some top notch entertainment company or another.

And Changkyun, precious Changkyun, was still just a freshman, capable of balancing academics, sleep, an active social life, and a number of extracurriculars and clubs, all without feeling the oppressive weight of too-much-to-do-no-time-to-do-it. It probably helped that he was undecided and only taking gen eds and a couple basic music courses, but it wouldn’t help for long.

As a savvy college student and the resident mother of the four of them, the approach of Halloween had been Kihyun’s time to step up and let them know that trick-or-treating was no longer an accepted past-time. Minhyuk had been unbothered, having worked through Halloween the year before. Jooheon and Changkyun, however, still children at heart, had been devastated, even with Kihyun’s promise to buy them a bucket full of candy on the first of November to make up for it.

The fact that they’d brightened so considerably at Jackson’s request meant Kihyun couldn’t not go, if only to keep an eye on them both. Now, though…. Now Kihyun might regret it a little bit. Or a lot.

“Holy ,” Changkyun breathes as the four of them stop outside the gates of what can only be described as a mansion. And it is a mansion, complete with a winding drive, sprawling lawn and gardens, and so many windows on this side of the house that it probably takes days to wash them all.

“Jooheon.” Kihyun glances sideways at his friend, eyebrow arching. “What was it that Jackson’s parents do for a living?”

Jooheon can’t tear his eyes away from the house for a moment, staring in mute surprise. “Uh. Government work, I think. A higher government.”

Changkyun is the first to speak after that, voice a startled squawk. “His parents are spies?”

Kihyun sighs, raking a hand through his hair. He winces when Minhyuk smacks him, lips set in a frown. “I just  styled that! You’re supposed to look like a hot angel, not like a mental patient with wings.” Kihyun frowns, raking a hand through his hair once more, just to piss Minhyuk off, then dances out of reach with a laugh when Minhyuk swats at him again. Their antics are enough to put Jooheon and Changkyun back at some sort of ease, and with Jooheon leading the way – chased by Minhyuk for the way he’d tousled the blond’s styled locks – they head up the driveway.

Five minutes later finds Kihyun with a beer and without three friends. As soon as they’d entered the house, Jackson had greeted them, then whisked Jooheon away to look at the system the DJ was using. Minhyuk had disappeared soon after, making a beeline for the room where the bass pulsed the loudest. He’s still visible through the doorway, his shock of blond hair and dark blue hoodie making him easy to see even among the many bodies. Changkyun had slipped away from Kihyun’s side soon after, going in search of something non-alcoholic and what looked like one of his friends from class. It leaves Kihyun alone, but he finds that he doesn’t mind, slipping into the kitchen for a drink and to listen to conversation without the music drowning it all out.

He recognizes some of the people hanging in the kitchen – a girl from his Music History course, a girl and guy from his choir class, another girl from his piano course – and before too long, Kihyun finds himself drawn into their discussion of movie and tv show soundtracks and which one is the best.

Kihyun is in the middle of an increasingly heated argument on the topic of instrumental soundtracks and studying when the weight of an arm drapes around his shoulders. Assuming that Jooheon had been released from Jackson’s conversation or that Changkyun had become worried when he hadn’t made an appearance in another room, Kihyun doesn’t bother to brush it away, focusing on the topic at hand.

“The concept behind instrumental music is that it gives sustenance to the scene in question, building the tension or helping to direct attention to the focus moment. It’s better in this regard than something with lyrics to it because lyrics can draw away from the focus while something instrumental isn’t as likely to. For example, when Character B finds out that Character J and Character C are in an uous relationship and Character C is also married.”

The person at his side stiffens, then releases a breathy hah of laughter. Then there are lips at his ear, and if Kihyun weren’t so intent on his topic, he might have jumped. “Did you just reference Game of Thrones?”

“Maybe.”

They’re quiet for a moment, but then the lips are back, pressed to the shell of his ear, and Kihyun’s lips purse because it’s enough to tell him that this is probably Changkyun, because the little has no respect for Kihyun’s personal boundaries while both Jooheon and Minhyuk know he’s not afraid to smack them away for being too close and touchy. It’s only Changkyun that manages to pout and whine his way out of the dubious honor.

“I didn’t think that scene had music to it. It’s been a while since I watched, though. I might be wrong. Maybe you should come back to my place, watch it with me?”

It’s a combination of the words and the voice itself that finally has Kihyun turning, exasperation written on his features. “Changkyun, we practically live together. And you hate Game of—”

It’s not Changkyun.

It’s not anyone Kihyun knows.

As far as men go, he’s pretty. Hair blond that’s been messily styled with distinct care. Pale skin that looks like it hasn’t seen sunlight in months. Straight nose. Full lips pulled back into a grin that begs trouble. He’s pretty. Very pretty. And completely Kihyun’s type.

If he had a type.

Yoo Kihyun does not have a type.

“Holy ! Where the hell you come from?”

There’s another low laugh, and Kihyun can’t even begin to fathom what’d he’d said that was funny. “Not so much. I thought angels couldn’t swear.”

Kihyun blinks, dumbstruck. “What?”

The male at his side is still grinning, a grin that’s somehow all teeth and sly intentions. “You’re an angel, right?” A pale hand reaches out, slender fingers tugging on one of the feathered appendages that are currently strapped to K

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter