Denial

Noona, I Love You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

       It was a normal day at Seoul High School with the same old chatter filling the air like gnats during the summer.  Some of it was about simple small talk, such as the newest lipstick or a video game.  The rest of it was a bit more serious, but depending on your range of seriousness, it was either "I just broke up with my boyfriend/girlfriend I don't know what to do" to "my life is so hard right now, I should just kill myself".  To Jung Bora, the Resident Assistant, it was all the same.

 

       She hadn't been at the school very long, but she knew what everything felt like.  The wounds and scars she had sustained in high school still remained, as she was going through her own discrimination amongst her parents, her extended family, and her friends.  All seemed to be doing very well with their busy lives, but Bora dealt with high schoolers.

 

       She watched the kids file out of the main building back to their dorms.  Some waved at her and smiled while others simply glared and said nothing.  She laughed to herself, completely understanding, as she happened to catch some kids while they were "in the act".  Her colleague Kim Namjoon would always lecture her about gaining the kids' trust.  No matter which perspective she looked at the situation in, she never understood why they as supervisors should be lenient with underage drinking, teenagers, and pranksters, to name a few.  

 

       "Don't you ever get tired of this, Joonie?" Bora asked Namjoon as she watched a group of girls flock over their friend's newest namebrand bag.  "Doesn't this make you worry over the future generation?"

 

       He snorted.  "Me?  Everyday," he replied.  "When I was in school, all we had were our little GameBoys and actual games to play."

 

       The other made a face.  "You were born in the middle ages?  No one played actual games while I was in school."

 

       "You forget I'm older than you."

 

       "By a year!" she exclaimed.  She made a face.  "I swear, you're just as dumb as those girls over there."  When she saw he was about to open his mouth to make a snooty remark, she clasped a hand over his mouth.  "Don't you dare say a word about how high your IQ is!  That's books, this is life!"

 

       He chuckled and raised his hands in defeat, slapping her's away in the process.  "Alright, you win," he said.  He glanced at his watch.  "Why don't you check the other side?  Make sure no one tries to make a run for it into the night."  His eyes flashed.  "For every person you find, have them run fifty laps around the track."

 

       "Will do," she answered before turning and walking down the now empty hallway to the other side of the school.

 

       This was her favourite part of the job, as going to the other side of the school meant she got to see the magnificent garden.  There were all kinds of flowers: roses, hydrangeas, asters, petunias, etc. but the one thing that always caught her eye was the giant sakura tree in the middle of it all.  It stood tall, its leaves creating a canopy that shaded most of the garden.  She stared at it once more vefore smiling and nodding.

 

       Yes, maybe perhaps this is where she needed to be.

 

       Then something hit her nose, not physically but inter

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter