Final

When I was your man

Same bed but it feels just a little bit bigger now
Our song on the radio but it doesn't sound the same
When our friends talk about you, all it does is just tear me down
'Cause my heart breaks a little when I hear your name

It all just sounds like oooooh…
Mmm, too young, too dumb to realize
That I should've bought you flowers
And held your hand
Should've gave you all my hours
When I had the chance
Take you to every party
'Cause all you wanted to do was dance
Now my baby's dancing
But she's dancing with another man

My pride, my ego, my needs, and my selfish ways
Caused a good strong woman like you to walk out my life
Now I never, never get to clean up the mess I made, ohh…
And it haunts me every time I close my eyes

It all just sounds like oooooh…
Mmm, too young, too dumb to realize
That I should've bought you flowers
And held your hand
Should've gave you all my hours
When I had the chance
Take you to every party
'Cause all you wanted to do was dance
Now my baby's dancing
But she's dancing with another man

Although it hurts
I'll be the first to say that I was wrong
Oh, I know I'm probably much too late
To try and apologize for my mistakes
But I just want you to know

I hope he buys you flowers
I hope he holds your hand
Give you all his hours
When he has the chance
Take you to every party
'Cause I remember how much you loved to dance
Do all the things I should have done
When I was your man
Do all the things I should have done
When I was your man

 

I looked from the corner of my eyes the chair where you were sitting, dressed with black leather pants and a black v-shirt, drinking a glass of wine.

You held the hand of a man sitting next to you and once in a while you would turn to him and smiled, like he was the most precious thing in the world.

What did I do? Why did I let you go, without asking for a second chance? Well, the truth is that it wouldn't be the second chance but one of the many you gave me while we were going out.

Since you left me, I've been feeling alone. My days and nights are not the same as before. I would spend my work hours glaring at the computer but not really seeing it, wondering why I didn't show you my love. Every time I was at home, I would look the bed and then sleep in the couch because that place held precious memories that could hurt me for I knew you wouldn't come back home.

Why was I so stupid to believe you would never leave me? Why did I take you for granted? I thought your love was enough for us to work things out, but I was wrong and when you couldn't take it anymore, when your heart was deeply wounded, you left me. I should have seen it coming but my arrogant side made me believe that you would never leave me, that you would be always by my side.

“Have you seen Jongwoon? He seems happy with Sungjoon”, whispered Hyukjae to Donghae, his boyfriend, thinking I couldn't hear them.

“Yes. I've never seen him smiling like that since ages”, replied him.

Even though it hurt me, they were right. The last months we were together, Jongwoon never smiled like that and would always fake. I didn't read on it that much but now I could clearly see the difference. That smile he now had on his lips was the same he gave me when we started going out.

“I heard Sungjoon proposed to him yesterday night”, added Ryeowook, not caring if I could hear him or not.

He hated me. Well, Jongwoon was his best friend, so it was normal he held a grudge against me for making suffer him.

“Really?!” Asked astonished Donghae before squealing.

I looked Jongwoon’s ring finger and saw it, the object that would take him away from me forever. It was something I never thought of giving him because it was too big for my liking, but he seemed happy of it. He would glance at it some time and wear a goofy smile.

“Kyuhyun, are you alright?” Questioned Hyukjae, noticing my frown.

How could I be fine if the man of my life, which I had mistreated, was now engaged with another man who made him happy, something I couldn't do? Jongwoon seemed another person, someone cheerful and content of his life, something I couldn't achieve with our four-years-relationship.

I was a stupid. At the beginning of our time together, I would give him gifts once in a while, take him out on dates and cuddle with him when we had the chance. But after some time, when we started living together, I would leave him alone at home just to go drinking with my colleagues, I would expect he cooked lunch and dinner for me, I would disregard him for my games. I ruined everything we could have and we could be. It was my wrongdoing and I knew it but never admitted it to him.

“Sorry, but I…” And I didn't get to finish the sentence because I was already standing, walking towards Jongwoon.

I saw Sungjoon going to the bathroom and I wanted to take advantage of it so I approached you, feeling shy but most of all, scared you wouldn't want to speak to me.

You noticed me and frowned, maybe wondering what I was trying to do by approaching you, but I could care the less. I just wanted to speak to you.

“Hi”, I said while standing in front of your seat.

“Hi”, you simply replied.

Truthfully, I didn't expect for you to answer to me. You could have avoided me, but you didn't. And that's one of the things that makes us different. You weren't someone arrogant who would ignore those who hurt you for you were a nice and lovely person. I wasn't. I was too full of myself to do something that could show my care for the others.

“May I sit?”

You just nodded, analyzing every move I did in search of my reasons to be here with you.

“I'm happy for your engagement”, I admitted after some time spent in silence. I believe I took you by surprise.

“T-thanks.”

I noticed you were blushing but I didn't think much of it. I was just happy you didn't ignore me, even if you had all the reasons in the world to do so.

“Jongwoon hyung, I'm… I'm sorry.”

You widened your eyes, not expecting to hear those words coming from me. I've been so awful with you and I wanted to show you that you were someone very dear to me.

“I just… I took your love for granted and thought you would always be by my side, thinking your love was enough proof of what we had. I was an arrogant bastard and treated you like a slave almost and not like my lover. I know I don't deserve to be heard but I wanted you to know that I'm deeply sorry for what I've done and for how I've treated you. I'm really happy you have found someone who truly cherishes you and loves you”, I confessed, lowering my gaze as every word left my mouth, not wanting to meet your eyes full of disappointment.

I don't know how long I stayed like that and didn't care if Sungjoon came back and saw me here with you. I was surprised when you placed your hand under my chin and lifted up my face, leaving your hand over my cheek.

“Thank you, Kyuhyun. It means a lot to me what you said and I'm happy you are here”, you murmured.

If your words surprised me, your kiss on my cheek left me astonished. I never expected for you to accept my apologies and show that you still cared for me.

“I won't lie saying your actions didn't hurt me and made me feel miserable, but I believe everything had a reason and even though is hard to accept it, I think us being together wasn't right. Not because we didn't loved each other, but for we were too young to understand what we really wanted. I loved you, but now I know that is a friends love. I don't blame you for behaving like that; maybe, deep down, you already knew we weren't meant to be. I hope you'll find that person who can make you feel truly loved and that you'll cherish with all you've got”, you said smiling sweetly.

“So… This is a goodbye?” I asked, afraid you would leave me behind.

“No. We'll see again in the future, maybe when you'll have someone by your side. Just remember that, no matter what, I love you.”

“I love you too, hyung.”

After giving you a kiss on the cheek, under your fiancée's gaze, I left you and went back to my table, where all our friends were waiting for me with their mouths hanging open.

“What was all that?!” Questioned Ryeowook.

“What did you talk about?” Added Hyukjae.

“Why are you crying?” Said worriedly Donghae while collecting some tissues to dry my tears.

“We just… had a talk.” I then looked at them with a small smile on my lips. “I'm fine and him too.”

They didn't insist on the topic and left me to my thoughts.

I really wished Sungjoon would gave Jongwoon everything I didn't gave him. Love, care, cuddles, hugs… Jongwoon deserved all that and I wanted for him to be happy and if Sungjoon was the one who would give it to him, I would accept it.

If I learned something from all this is that one must treasure what he has because taking things for granted is a mistake that could lead him to lose all he's got.