broken pasts of the present

Serendipity

 

Noon has approached as police officers patrolled past the interrogation room, wondering when their senior chief from the investigative department, Irene would be done.

She came in all of a sudden, requesting for a special meeting with one of the prisoners while handing in a slip containing instructions from the higher-ups.

In that note, was an order to release inmate 0391, Park Chorong immediately and free her of charges, wiping her clean off the records.

The reason was simple, she was accused falsely for her crimes and is completely innocent.

But of course, this is just a cover-up.

Chorong's case was one that was closed with a fixed conclusion.

But as years went by, detectives and investigators alike all found a strange connection involving incidents that occurred after that, especially the mysterious death of Hanlim Art student, Oh Hayoung. It was more than just possessing drugs.

It concerned the safety of the country.

"According to my reports, you were convicted to possess drugs and even revealed yourself to the judge. But isn't that fishy?" asked Irene, eyes never moving from Chorong's.

"On that night, four Hanlim Art School students were found shivering from the cold rain as they sustained injuries. But you, Park Chorong who claimed to be the suspect was untouched." said Irene as she talked in a calm manner as she had purposefully hid out details regarding Hayoung. She was aware that the girl had no idea of the girl’s death and her case would just add too much stress currently.

"They have nothing to do with the case. Those girls are not criminals."

"When a circle of friends forges strong bonds, they would make sacrifices for each other. In my investigation, all of you grew up in the same orphanage together and were like sisters. Your caretaker told me that you were like their mother. Wouldn’t that make it highly likely?” Irene leaned forward with eyes of confidence. "Chorong-ssi, I've been investigating this for awhile now and I know that you are not the true culprit to this case."

"It's my choice."

"That's why I'm here to help you."

"You're going to find the actual culprit. I can't let you do that."

"Why? Because we're going to arrest Yoon Bomi instead?"

"How did you-?!"

"You've got the wrong idea Chorong-ssi." Irene shook her head.

"What do you mean?"

The officer returned back to an upright position. "Those drugs that you claimed to possess? It was a decoy by a group called LLNK to distract the police. On that night, those men were transporting an unknown object to another facility. One thing's for sure, it's related to the military."

"Military?" gasped Chorong.

"We need to find the root of this. Factory, blueprint, weapon, anything. I know those girls will remember something. After all, they were the hostages in that warehouse. There was definitely something that they can remember."

The girl huffed in a breath that was filled with stress and conflict.

At this point, she wasn't sure who to trust anymore.

The bigger problem: was she ready?

Was she ready to face them again after all these years?

Like a mother who wanted nothing but the happiness of her own children, Chorong thought that those girls would live their lives happily since.

But how sure was she that they were truly happy in life?

She had to find out this out on her own.

Watching the change of expression, Irene felt relieved and confident that the persuasion worked.

"Fine. I'll help you. But on one condition."

"What is it?"

"No matter what happens, those girls are not going to spend their lives here." emphasized Chorong, tapping her finger onto the desk.

"I’m not digging up your case. I’m using it to connect it with another. Those girls aren't suspects in this story. They are our keys." smiled Irene.

"I will not arrest Yoon Bomi. Rest assured, Chorong-ssi,"

It was then, Irene lifted her arm and signalled the guards to bring something.

"Here. Change your clothes. We will get going immediately."

"Change?"

"Are you going out with this ugly orange outfit?" chuckled Irene.

"Right...."

Chorong was surprised as she was given a set of brand, new clothes consisting of a simple blouse, jeans and sneakers. She had not expected everything to happen so quickly.

No longer in her tight, ugly uniform, it was a breath of fresh air. She missed the smell of clean, new clothes, a scent that was reminiscent of home. Following Irene, she entered her police car and sat at the passenger seat in front. Strangely, it was just the two of them alone. None of the guards that accompanied Irene along, followed.

"Those guys aren't yours...?"

"What?" said Irene as she broke into a laughter, finding Chorong's choice of words funny.

"It's just us?"

"Of course. Chorong-ssi, I am not just an ordinary officer. I am an investigative officer trained to work on serious cases like yours.”

"I see..."

"Ready?"

"Y-Yeah..." nodded Chorong awkwardly.

It had been ages since she sat in a car. It was even weird to feel the weight of the seatbelt against her front.

Everything felt so surreal.

Getting out of prison felt like a dream.




 

 




 

The sound of her phone buzzing away caused her to groan, annoyed that her dream was broken away. She had been sleeping soundly for hours and now, in the middle of noon where the sun is at its peak, Eunji is awake.

"Thanks for ruining my great dream." she mumbled in an annoyed tone, sitting up, her dishevelled black hair flowing down her shoulders as she scratched her head with one hand and held her phone with the other.

In her spacious bedroom that was hanging from the skies of the 55th floor of her apartment block, white curtains filtered against the strong sunlight which shed light of her disoriented wooden room that had clothes scattered all over.

An absolute war-zone.

"Hyerim-ya! Morning- oops! Afternoon!"

"Yeah, yeah, just go straight to the point. Why? Does the boss want to arrange a game tonight?"

"Nope, it's more of a personal reason.” He paused. “Hyerim-ya, can you help me out?"

"You don't usually ask for favours from me, Suho oppa," the biker mumbled.

Although those two were rivals on the road, they were actually best friends who leaned onto each other for support, and most certainly not romantically involved.

Even if it did, it was going to be a one-sided love anyway.

Eunji was not fully ready to be in a relationship yet.

"Something came up in my schedule but I can't cancel this appointment. So, I'm gonna give this to you as a gift. I swear, you won't regret it."

"I don't trust you oppa. That sounds really ambiguous."

"No, it's not! I'm serious! I'll meet you at our racing grounds later at 3pm okay? See ya!"

"Wait-"

The phone hung up before she could even continue her next sentence.

Thinking that she could sleep for a few more hours, Eunji had wanted to curse Suho as she collapsed back onto her comfy bed. Staring at the empty white ceiling above, she wanted one more minute to collect herself before getting ready for another long day ahead.

During the day, the racing tracks had a completely different atmosphere. Children were around, riding small go-karts and spending time with their parents. Giggles and laughter filled the air as Eunji observed them from afar, seated at a bench as she waited for Suho.

For some reason, her heart ached watching people happy.

Somewhere in her heart, she yearned to have a family.

Growing up as an orphan, she had no one.

"No one."

 

"Come on Eunji-ya! What are you doing sitting there?! Let's go!"

"Unnie, losers gonna pay lunch!"

"Hey! You didn't tell me the game is on!"

"Too late! Here we go!"

"What the hell, Hey!"

 

"Hey! Sorry I'm late!"

A voice broke Eunji from travelling deeper into her memories.

"More like you're always late." scoffed the girl as Suho took something out of his pocket.

"Here." he said, handing over a namecard.

"Hilton Hotel?"

"Room 222, 5pm. All you have to do is knock on the door three times. I've already informed her that you're coming."

"Wait..." paused Eunji as she took a closer look at the namecard. "The Suho?!" shouted Eunji upon realising what it is, immediately hitting the man.

"Ouch! Hey, that hurts!"

"Why the hell are you giving me an for?!"

"I-I mean, you looked lonely and thought you might want some company."

"I don't need this!"

"Just take it, please! I can't make it for the appointment and I paid this in advance already!"

"Wow, I'm speechless." sighed Eunji as she glared at Suho. She was even more shocked at the fact that her friend was enjoying such services.

"Come on, just this once. Escorts don't necessarily mean that you have to do that with them you know? You guys can just chat, hang out- OUCH!"

"Talk my !" scowled Eunji as she hit him for the second time. "Gosh, oppa. What do I get in return for this?"

"I'll let you win the next round on purpose, deal?"

"Fine." sighed Eunji, agreeing to the deal as she snatched the namecard out of annoyance.

All it took was money to say yes.

She was going crazy.

What is she even going to do with an ?

There's no way she would initiate ual services.

Never.



 

 




 

"All right, we're here." said Wheein as she pulled up the handbrake. "You okay Namjoo-ya?" she turned to her friend who needed time to recuperate from the sudden trauma.

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine. Let's go get this dude in." nodded Namjoo with a smile, not wanting to bring any more worry to Wheein.

Upon arrival at the station, Wheein was busy informing their captain, Minho in regards of the situation that happened that morning while her subordinates were taking care of their culprit. Namjoo on the other hand, watched her friend. She was in no condition to explain everything in detail and was thankful that Wheein was always there to take care of her.

"Alright. Good job you two." said Minho as he turned to look at Namjoo. "By the way..."

"Yes?"

"I was informed that you applied for the investigative department Namjoo."

"Yeah...I did sir."

"Well, did you hear the news?"

"What news?"

"The Woori Bank incident this morning. It appears the work of 96 again and we’re running short of hand. Would you like to take a go at it?

"W-What?" stuttered Namjoo with widened eyes.

"Minho-ya, stop running around the bush." said a woman who entered the station. She was in a different uniform, a darker shade of grey and a badge pinned to her right, "Detective Yongsun".

"I need her now. I don't care if she’s new or anything, we don't have enough in our team." she continued before scanning her eyes to Namjoo.

"Very well madam." said Minho with a bow.  I will write the report of her transfer later as this is an emergency situation."

"Good. What are you doing just standing there? Duty waits for no one!" said Yongsun taking only one glance at the girl before speeding out.

"Y-Yes madam!" stuttered Namjoo as she trotted along, taking one last look at Wheein. Their separation came all too sudden. She signalled to call her soon in which her friend nodded in reply.

"So, where are we going M-Madam?" asked Namjoo, hurriedly putting her seatbelt on.

"Just read this. I can't do two things at once." huffed Yongsun, handing a file to Namjoo. "And just call me Solar unnie. Yongsun makes me sound old. Well then, let's go."

The police car began its journey.

Namjoo flipped through the documents she had received, tucked neatly in a brown folder. Each of them were reports of several banks who have been hacked by a notorious group called "96".

It was not something new.

96 has been lurking around the past two years, hacking through not just banks but big corporates as they siphoned every single cent.

It's just a bit funny how they aren't aiming for the government yet where the prize is obviously bigger. Was their motive simply money? Nothing more?

There are no clues to how many people are in 96, no names, faces, nothing. The police had been trying to track them down but to no avail. But this time, Woori Bank managed to trace back the IP address of the hacking to an IT company in Gangnam. This could mean the beginning of a clue the detectives could work on.

"I've got a few men to interrogate the employees already. All we have to do is search for clues."

"Got that, Mada- I mean Solar unnie." gulped Namjoo, slightly nervous how she is placed immediately on the job.

"Sorry, we are just running out of staff. Hope you don’t mind starting out your training in a rush."

"No, it's fine. Being a detective has always been my dream."

"Really?" said Yongsun as she raised her eyebrows, glancing towards the girl. The senior officer had many experiences with rookie interns, but there was something a little different about Namjoo. Although interns always had similar reasons to joining the force, but the tone of Namjoo's voice and her gaze, they all had a different meaning.

She was sure that there was another story behind it, but believed that digging it up now isn't necessarily important.

Soon, the two detectives had reached the IT company and headed straight to work. Upon arrival, Yongsun's team had already taken suspects to be transported back to the station for interrogation, leaving the office depleted of staff running about. This made it the perfect environment to begin their investigation.

Namjoo was tasked to search the upper floors of the building for clues. But to be honest, she had no idea where to start. The girl believed that "96" or a member of "96" was acting as an employee so she wanted to find the desk of that person. Searching each of the many desks that stretched endlessly across.

It was like finding a needle in a haystack.

"How in the world am I supposed to find it?" mumbled Namjoo as she meticulously went through each desks with her white gloves. Flipping through random notebooks, checking their computers and searching the small trashcan underneath, she did not want to miss out any details of importance.

Soon, she came across a desk that was rather neat. Compared to the others, it was quite empty. She bent down to search the trashcan only to find several pieces of lollipop wrappings thrown inside.

"Wow, this person eats a heck lot of lollipops...."

As Namjoo carefully uncrumpled the wrappings, she noticed something strange. There were small markings written on it. Each of them had different numbers, 3, 10, 18, 25.

Jackpot.

"Why would this person number their lollipops as if it was medicine?"

Curious, the girl had a hunch and quickly took out a cotton bud from the bag which Yongsun had given her earlier. She gently cleaned the keyboard keys of that desk and placed it into a zipper bag. Believing that there was a connection, she wanted to find the owner of the fingerprint later at the lab.

Namjoo had wanted to collect the lollipop wrappings as part of her evidence. But she noticed something.

All of them, were yellow.

Her heart began to feel uneasy.

All those hints, linked so easily to this one person whom she knew.

But she is dead. At least, to her knowledge.

“Lollipops in yellow wrappings that had markings on it.”

It was just too obvious but Namjoo wanted to believe that it was someone else.

There was no way that it could be her. She is already dead.

But yet again, how sure was she that her death was real? What if all this time, she was alive?

"No, it can't be. She's already dead." mumbled Namjoo to herself as she collected the wrappings.

 

“You’re so boring, buying the same lollipops. Aren’t you sick of the flavour?”

“Unnie, yellow is my favourite colour and besides, you know how picky I am. Lemon is a pretty okay taste.”

“I just hope you control your sugar intake.”

“Huh, who was the one who suggested this idea?”

“Haha, sorry. I’m just joking. I’d rather have you suffer from diabetes than die from lung cancer.”

“Unnie!!!”

“I’m joking!!! Hahahaha!!!”

 

At that moment, a thud of the door echoed the floor. Quickly, Namjoo headed towards the direction and was brought to a balcony at the back. It showed the view of Seoul from above and was a small space for employees to take a break. The girl looked around, there was not a single soul around.

She had thought that maybe the wind was too strong and caused the door to close by itself. Just as she was about to leave, she noticed a cigarette box on the floor.

Upon that, the answers were already clear.

"Hayoung-ah, you're alive....right?"




 

 




 

Dongjang Market.

It was a short stop as Irene had to make an important phone call so she allowed Chorong to wander around for a while. She even gave her some cash to buy food and perhaps, get used to living like a human again. After all, Irene insisted that she had installed a tracking device on Chorong so she couldn't escape if she wanted to.

"Just do whatever you want. I'll be right back. I'm sure prison food must've tasted really bad."

"T-Thank you..."

"No worries. You can't run away from me anyway. I have you in my radar." smirked Irene before she walked away.

Either way, Chorong had no plans on doing that. In fact, she was thankful at how thoughtful Irene was. She thought that officers were scary, controlling people who treated prisoners like slaves of war. Boy was she totally wrong.

As she wandered the streets and taking in the bustling atmosphere where customers bargained loudly for lower prices, people from all walks of life eating and looking around, it was good to be back home.

The girl bought chicken feet. Her absolute favourite.

Sitting at a corner with plastic gloves wrapped around her hands, she nibbled quietly as a smile formed onto her face.

The spicy yet sweetness of the chicken feet filling her tastebuds, she missed this taste.. But chicken feet brought back memories too.

Memories of her past.

 

"Come on, chicken feet’s delicious!"

"No way! I don't want to eat some animal's feet!"

"Unnie's right, uh Chorong unnie you can just help yourself...really!"

"Guys, you won't regret it okay?"

"Imagine if that chicken stepped on poop and now you're eating it-"

"HEY!"

"Run guys! Run! Chorong unnie's angry!"

"Waaaaah!!!!!"

 

Unconsciously, the curves of Chorong's lips went upwards. Recalling those happy moments, were temporary but blissful.

If only time could turn back, if only we could rewind and just live peacefully, how wonderful must it have been?

As she nibbled happily at her missed chicken feet, she heard a ruckus in the market.

"Someone call an ambulance!"

"Oh no, what do we do with her?!"

Instinctively, Chorong removed her gloves, got up from her seat and walked towards where the crowd was.

As she moved closer, people surrounded a girl who had collapsed. From her outfit, she appeared to be a worker and was busy running errands. Her eyes scanned upwards to see her face, and Chorong froze upon noticing those familiar features.

Her little mole at the left of her cheek.

Chorong hesitated at that very moment, like the bystanders who couldn't do anything. Just like everyone, they just stared at the unconscious girl.

But the girl gathered her courage and rushed in.

"I'll take her." she said.



 

 




 

Eunji sighed in front of Room 222. Pacing around and trying to delay time, she had no idea what to expect. Her image of an was a y woman posing on the bed, ready to indulge in such services for the customer. This was her first time and obviously, she had no plans of initiating such actions.

"It's going to be all right Eunji-ya. You're just going in place of Suho who is a ing bastard that enjoys with women." She mumbled to herself.

"That's right, an doesn't necessarily mean you have to have . I can just chat with her and just leave after the session is over. Wait, but I didn't even ask him how long this is going to be. AHHHH !" She slammed her own body against the wall, completely at a lost.

"But what if it's a guy? What if Suho is gay and he has a male then what am I going to do?!" The sudden thought caused Eunji to touch herself protectively as her eyes widened.

"Ah, ! Suho, you're so dead!" cussed Eunji as she took a deep breath. Her trembling hands reached out and knocked onto the door, twice.

Knock. Knock.

"Come in."

Eunji gulped upon hearing the muffles. It belonged to a girl.

She had a sweet, gentle voice.

Of course. She's an . She has to be like that to cater to her guests.

Gathering her courage, Eunji opened the door gingerly and looked around.

"Ummmm.....I came in place of Suho....."

"Yes I know. He informed me." said the who was in the toilet. Eunji could not see her face nor did she want to anyway.

"You can just sit on the bed first."

"Right..." said Eunji awkwardly, walking past the toilet as she obediently sat down. Thinking that the might greet her , the girl had her back facing the front as she looked at the window instead. Deeply in her heart, she was nervous and wished that time would pass quicker.

"W-What are you planning to do with me anyway?" asked Eunji bravely, despite not wanting to sneak a glance at her "."

"It's up to what you want to do."

"Then I can just go home right?"

"That wouldn't make your friend's money worth." she chuckled.

Her shy laughter, was cute.

"Alright. I'm ready. Please turn around."

Eunji gulped. She turned around slowly, preparing her heart.

But instead, the in front of her, was someone she knew.

Someone she had not seen in over 5 years,

Someone who had a long history with her,

And someone who was the main cause of her pain and suffering.

"N-Naeun?"

The 's eyes widened, surprised to see Eunji in front of her.

Briefly, the two girls stared blankly at each other. They weren't sure what to say.

Nothing was coming out of their mouth.

Who would’ve thought that they would meet in the least expected place?

"I...." Naeun mustered her courage to speak up first.

"What the hell are you doing?!" shouted Eunji enraged. "Why in the world are you-"

With a breath, Naeun closed her eyes.

In the end, a customer is a customer.

It didn’t matter whether she was related or not. She was trained all for this very moment, to pretend that Eunji was nothing but a customer.

"What kind of service would you like today?" asked Naeun, already into her act.

"What?"

"Do you want to get straight into business? Some like to get it slow and easy."

"The are you saying?!" Eunji exasperated as she sprang up from her seat, now face-to-face with Naeun.

"You're paying for this service."

"I'm here in place of my friend."

"Either way, you can't waste it."

The older girl was completely at a loss towards how Naeun was acting indifferent.

"Fine. Continue to act this way then." breathed Eunji, unable to think properly as flames were burning inside her body. With just one hand, the girl pushed Naeun towards the wall. Their faces were so close to each other, breaths tickling their necks. In such a close vicinity, Eunji looked into the deep orbs of the girl in front of her.

Her eyes never changed.

She is still the same, Son Naeun she knew.

 

"Naeun-ah, I-"

A stinging slap ran across her cheek, a numbing sensation that followed after.

"Leave." Her tears rolled down heavily. "Leave." she sobbed.

"I promise that I won't do it again. Naeun-ah, just let me-"

"Leave. I don't want to see you ever again."

"Fine." Eunji breathed with a sigh, her eyes had lost all hope. She was already prepared to leave forever.

It was her fault anyway. She did not deserve it.

"Let's pretend that we never knew each other." said Eunji. "Let’s erase each other from our memories. I only want you to live normally from now on. It's for the better."

 

It had been 5 years since.

She never once concerned herself about Naeun's whereabouts. Just like her words, their memory was destroyed together in ashes. But confronting her past again, was a nightmare come alive. What even confused her more, was that Naeun became an .

Whatever happened to her bright, hopeful career in the performing arts?

Why did she end up in such a path?

Eunji wanted answers but, she vowed to never involve herself with her again.

"Go on. Do what you want with me." said Naeun.

Those words, simply added coal to the fire.

"As if." said Eunji as she let go. Angrily taking her things, she went straight for the door. "It's better if we never meet again. Even in a place like this."

Not taking one last glance at her, the girl slammed the door behind.

With an echo following, Naeun was now left alone in the hotel room. It was all too much to handle. Her act was too perfect till she let go of her emotions at that moment. Eunji easily fell for her trick when actually, Naeun wanted to explain to her everything.

But, she couldn't.

She was scared to have Eunji in her life again.

She just wasn't ready yet.

Crumbling to her feet, her tears finally exploded. Clutching her shirt tightly as she sobbed all alone, it hurt.

Eunji's words hurt. But it was the truth.

They were never meant to be together.



 

 



 

"Welcome back!"

"What's with that grim look on you?"

"Let's not." sighed Hayoung as she casually plopped her bag on the floor and headed over to the large machine that had multiple screens. They were all secret cameras installed as her team, "96" were observing the police.

"Look at you, acting all cool and all that." scoffed Yerin who was in control of the machine. Her hands were busy, zooming in and switching screens to look through each camera. "Anyways, base received word. Mission's complete."

"I heard she's with the police now." said Joy, taking a glance at Hayoung who remained mum.

"You don't have to remind me." she sighed, turning around to take out her laptop and placing it on the desk.

The notorious hacking group, "96" which Hayoung belonged to, is her little, sweet home. Their base is tucked away in a secretive forest reserve, locked and far from the city. No one would be able to find it.

"You're gonna have to confront her one day y'know?" said Joy as she crossed her arms. "And maybe you will have to kill-"

"Stop it." Hayoung's tongue clicked.

"Are you going to betray us when that happens?"

"I said stop it!" growled Hayoung as she quickly took out her gun hidden in her pocket and pointed it at Joy's direction. But her friend had quick reflexes and took out her gun. They were now pointing guns at each other, waiting for one to pull the trigger.

"Hey, hey, let's not fight now guys." said Yerin, interrupting in between, putting their guns down.

"." cussed Hayoung. She was certainly not in the mood.

"Sorry." shrugged Joy raising her hands in surrender. "It's a joke. We trust you, big whiny baby."

"Well, I'm not in the ing mood." sighed Hayoung as she got up from her seat and headed to another room. She needed to be away from those two. She needed to calm down and re-collect her thoughts.

Recalling back the moment, she remembered observing Namjoo as she was well hidden in a shaft above. In fact, it was all a set-up just so she could see her for just one second. Because she knew that, it would be impossible to confront her.

Yet, her words echoed loudly in her head.

"Hayoung-ah...you're alive right?"

It was painful.

In fact, Hayoung had been watching Namjoo all along. By hacking into CCTV cameras all over Seoul, she would sometimes stalk her unnie. She has been doing so, the past 5 years.

Hayoung is supposed to be "dead". She shouldn’t be meddling with people from her past anymore.

Even though she told herself that she would forget about her,

She couldn't.

Knock. Knock.

Hayoung turned around. It's Joy.

"What now?" sighed Hayoung.

"Sorry for ruining your little moment but we got orders from boss."

"What does he need?"

"We've got to kidnap someone."


 

 



 

 

Bomi gasped, jolting awake as she was drenched in cold sweat. The last she could remember was voices whispering in her head before she collapsed into the dark. Realising that she had fallen victim to overworking, she sighed thinking that her boss might sacked her. Then, she'll have to beg and kneel on her knees to keep her job.

There was no way she could pay for the hospital fees. She did not have enough money to do so.

As she looked up at the IV drip connected to her hand, Bomi was frustrated at how weak her body has become. She used to be really energetic, bright, had lots of stamina and rarely got sick.

Perhaps, she has really reached her limit.

As she scanned around the ward, there were yellow dandelions in a vase, beside her bed.

She wondered who bought them for her.

Probably the person who sent her here. Right, she's a little dumb. But Bomi is thankful yet there was no way she could repay them with her current financial crisis.

However, the yellow dandelions felt familiar.

Close to home.

 

"Unnie, you're always having those flowers in your room. I'm scared that one day insects are gonna live there and our place will be totally bug infested as hell."

"Idiot! As long I take care of it well, that won't happen."

"Oh? Really? I didn't know...haha"

"Bom-ah, do you know what flower is it?"

"I don't know. Flowers all looks the same to me."

"This is a yellow dandelion. People say that you give it as a gift to someone you love that will provide them with an everlasting happiness"

"So are you planning to give those flowers to someone?"

"Maybe." The girl smiled. "It could be you."

"Me?"

"Or I could just give this to Eunji."

"Awww"

The girl laughed in response.

"But don't you think you're like a yellow dandelion Bom-ah? It fits you perfectly."

 

Immediately, Bomi scrambled out of her bed.

It can’t be.

There was no way that she was here. She had to confirm this herself.

Forcefully pulling the IV drip away and bit her teeth to hold in the pain, Bomi sprang out of bed and dragged her feet along the hallway. Using all of her remaining strength to push her forth, she held onto the walls for support and scanned each of the rooms. There was no sign of the girl.

Maybe it's just an illusion. She’s probably dreaming.

Bomi continued her search, heading to the lobby. From there, she noticed a figure walking out. She tries to run but her fatigue has reached its limit. The girl crashed and was kneeled on the ground.

"Stop right there!!!" she shouted with all of her might.

In that moment, the figure stopped. Bomi was now able to take a closer look. The light from outside basked her silhouette completely, drawing out each line of her body. But the girl was not able to make out her facial appearance.

"It's you right?! You're the one that gave those flowers!"

The shadowy figure remained mum.

"We will meet again, Bom-ah."

It's real.

She's back.

Just as Bomi was about to scramble her feet, nurses caught hold of her.

"Let go of me!!!" she shouted, helplessly watching her figure disappear outside. "I need to talk to her! I need to talk to Chorong unnie!"

"She's out of control! Subdue her!" yelled a nurse.

Quickly, Bomi was injected with a chemical that caused her to fall unconscious. Upon orders, Bomi was wheeled back into her ward as if nothing happened.

"Make sure to put the tracking device onto her." said a man dressed in a military uniform. The Chief Officer of the Police Force, Ha Jung Woo was watching her every move.

"Yes sir."

"I want to put my trust in Irene. I know she can do this mission well." he said. "After all, it seems we have a new ally now." He eyed onto Chorong who was now outside, having a conversation with the said girl.

 

--