final

In the Darkness

The clock is ticking by. The sound of fan spinning over his head was sort of calming. The air was almost still yet the wind still blowing his long hair, tickling the skin over his neck. But it still felt still. The television was opened and images of people singing with joy but it still felt still…

          Or was it him who was stone still…

          Mir was there. Sitting on the floor in the living room. His head lied over the couch with one hand as support. His other hand was on his laps. He was still. His eyes were empty. He was still. Still and cold… The floor was cold yet he didn't feel like moving a muscle. Just staying still.

          Honestly, it felt aching from sitting unmoving for hours. His arms were aching. His legs were aching. Yet he didn't want to move.

          Actually… Mir thought he wasn't as still as he wanted. He wasn't as cold as he wanted. He wasn't. His chest still moving. Up and down. His breath came out warm. In and out.

          He wasn't as still as he want.

          At that thought, his finger flickered. His eyes blinked once, twice, thrice. He slowly moved, feeling the blood moving towards the numb places, giving him feels. Feels that he didn't want.

          Feels equal to pain in Mir's mind. Physically, he was not in pain, except the numb tingly feeling over his muscles. But it was his heart. His mind. Oh yea… It was not his body which he wanted to be still and cold. It was his heart. His mind.

          How to do it?

          How to make the mind still? How to make the heart cold?

          Mir stood up, staggering a bit as the blood rush to his head. He blinked again. He knew one way to make his mind still, his heart cold.

          He needed darkness…

          Mir closed his eyes. No it still wasn't still. It wasn't dark enough. Bathroom. Yes. Bathroom. He opened his eyes again, dragging his feet towards his bathroom. He looked around the clean bathroom, looking for something. Anything. Approaching the bathtub, he sat on the edge of the white bathtub, opening the pipe and filling it with water. He watched as the water filled to the edge and put his hand inside the water, testing it.

          No. It was not cold enough.

          Mir turned the water off and went towards the kitchen this time. He looked for a large basin and rummaged through the fridge, taking out ice cube and dumped them into the basin. He watched the little cubes of ice inside the basin.

          No. Too little.

          He walked out of the kitchen, bringing the basin with him, cross the living room and to the front door. He went out without shoes on his feet and without jacket around his shivering body despite the snow falling heavily outside and the gush of cold wind mercilessly hitting his skin.

          Still… Not cold enough. Not still enough.

          Mir went to his neighbor. Hearing the muffled thumping beats of loud music from behind the door. He pressed on the doorbell a few times until the door opened.

          "Hiya, neighbor." His neighbor, a man in twenties, younger than Mir, a college boy if Mir wasn't mistaken, smiled lopsidedly at Mir. "Is our party a little too loud?" He asked, not guiltily, almost daringly. Maybe daring Mir to complaint. He didn't look too happy with Mir showing up by the door.

          "Do you have ice?" Mir asked quietly, voice almost drowning inside the loud music.

          "What?"

          "Hey, what's up? Who is this?" A girl came to the door, slinging her arms around the boy looking down at Mir with strange look. "Hey, I know you. You're from that group. What is it called? MBLA-"

          "Why do you want ice?" Mir's neighbor cut the girl off, shoving the girl aside when she whined. The girl rolled off her eyes but not leaving the front door, instead, she crossed her arms and watched Mir with new found interest. He was more focused on Mir now, concerned seeing Mir acting strange. It was winter and snowing yet Mir wore only a thin shirt and he was not even wearing any shoes.

          "A lot of ice. Do you have them?" Mir asked again.

          "We have. For the party. You want them?" The girl asked in a high pitch voice and bright smile. "I can get some for you."

          "A lot of it." Mir handed the basin to the girl and the girl nodded and went into the crowd in the party after taking the basin, leaving the now quiet Mir and the boy who was still staring at Mir. Until the girl came out again with a heavy basin filled with ice.

          "Here you go."

          Mir nodded a silent thanks, taking his basin now filled with ice and went back to his apartment, not realizing the boy who was now taking a phone out and called for someone who would not allow Mir's world to stand still and stayed cold.

          Mir dragged the heavy basin into the bathroom, throwing the ice into the water in the bathtub. He switched off the light. Feeling better once he was thrown in the darkness.

          Still not enough though.

          Mir lowered himself inside the bathtub, his body immediately shivered at the feeling of ice cold water and felt his breath came out shaky.

          Not low enough.

          Mir kept on sliding, sinking even deeper inside the bathtub until his head slowly dipped into the water. Now his whole body was inside the water and he smiled. He have no intention to go up again…

          It was dark.

          It was cold.

          And soon, he'll be still…

          His world will finally be still…

 

Should I write a sequel?