1/1

Fall for Me (In Your Heels)

"Teach me how to dance in heels, Hyung,” Taehyung begged, batting his eyelashes pitifully outside the dance studio at six in the morning. Hoseok, unprepared for such an onslaught so early in the day, merely grunted in response, not meaning to sound so reticent. He’s normally much more cheerful, but normally he has time to grab a coffee, open the studio, and organize the day’s activities in peace. He hadn't even gotten in the door yet. Not that Taehyung was particularly bothersome.

He fumbled for his keys and fit them in the lock, swinging the door open. Then Hoseok flipped on the lights and took a therapeutic sip of coffee while Taehyung let himself in, shrugging his big, bulging backpack off unceremoniously in a corner. 

As a dance instructor and part-time choreographer, Hoseok had heard many different requests. He’d taken choreography requests from the kids he taught every Wednesday and Friday. He’d begun one-on-one lessons with one of his favorite students, Teehyun, an eleven-year-old sunshine following in his footsteps. Heck, he created a dance routine for one of his friends to propose to his girlfriendーnow fiancéeーin a little under a week. This was something particular bizarre, and he still didn't have a response. Hoseok wrapped his hands around the soothing carry-out cup and took another sip.

Taehyung took his lack of response as a ‘no,’ and began tugging at Hoseok’s hands as a sign for him to reconsider, assiduous in his request. “Please, Hyung,” Taehyung pouted. Then he suddenly sat down on the balls of his feet and rocked back and forth, rummaging through his bag. Hoseok tried not to stare. He failed.

“Why?” Hoseok asked, puzzled. Now that he was more awake, he came to the realization that he wasn't adverse to the idea, just bewildered.  

“Because I saw a bunch of girls doing complicated dances in heels and they looked so cool. I heard they were difficult to dance in, but I wanted to know how difficult.” Taehyung replied, still digging through his bag.

“Here. I recently bought a pair so I could practice.” The younger pulled out a fancy shoe box, grasping it as if the contents were precious. The lighting in the studio accentuated the elegance of the box, and if it wasn't for the bright yellow clearance sticker on the side, Hoseok feared the shoes would have had an exorbitant price tag that Taehyung’s prodigal behavior would be willing to pay. Instead of opening the box, however, Taehyung pulled out another gaudy box from a different company with another clearance sticker, this one an alarming red. “You wear a size nine, right?” Taehyung asked.

“Uh, yeah. How’d you know?” 

“I just remembered you ordered new black shoes for yourself in the bulk order for the upcoming showcase. Plus, these shoes were buy one get one free so I bought you a pair. You can thank me later,” Taehyung replied, opening the first box and tossing the protective tissue paper all over the floor. 

While that part was true, Hoseok had ordered a new pair for himself along with those who needed shoes because his old ones we growing worn at the soles from use, he had placed the order at least a month ago, so they would all arrive on time. He let the matter slide.

Bright magenta, glittery heels with outlandish straps and obnoxious flowers adorning the sides quickly became visible through all the tissue. Smaller flowers are attached to the heel of the shoe, winding up the to ankle in a tasteless fashion. So that’s why they were on clearance. No one in their right mind would ever wear such hideous shoes anywhere, expensive or not. Taehyung grasped them by their flagrant straps and set them on the floor, reaching for the next box. 

“Did anyone question your, ah, buying habits?” Hoseok asked, trying to figure out why heels had been Taehyung’s newest infatuation. 

“Yeah, the cashier asked if they were for my girlfriend,” Taehyung answered readily, opening the second shoe box gracelessly. 

“What did you say?”

“Oh, I told her very firmly that she shouldn't just assume something like that. I informed her that I was going to practice in these heels with my instructor who also happened to be male.” And yeah, Hoseok could totally picture Taehyung shamelessly explaining himself to some poor girl at the register. He was saved from responding, however, once he could see the next pair of heels.

If he thought the previous pair was abominable, this new pair was ten times worse. Hoseok was hit by the startling neon orange and blinding metallic silver stripes that encompassed the shoe, making it look like some crazed road construction fiasco. The heel was roughly the same height, not that Hoseok was some sort of shoe expert or anything, but the colors swirled up to the top in some dizzying combo that would never hit the streets in any generation. 

“Hmm. They're a bit clunky, but they were cheap.” Taehyung patted the box gently. Hoseok would send them to the nearest trash bin if he could, but he stayed silent about the matter. “So, what do you say, Hyung? Will you teach me?” 

And really, did Hoseok ever have an option? “Yes, I suppose we can work in heels,” He replied with a genuine smile because he could never refuse Taehyung.

Taehyung flashed him a massive grin. “Alright, let's go!” The beastly amethyst heels dangled in his grasp limply. 

Hoseok plucked the monstrosities from the younger’s hands. “Not yet, my precious dongsaeng. I can't believe you’ve forgotten what I drive into all of my students: stretching. No exceptions,” He reminded, shifting his weight into a lunge. And yes, he’s a bit taken aback that someone like Taehyung would neglect to stretch and maybe just a bit disappointed, but he’s not surprised. Taehyung’s passions made every other conflicting thought fizzle into nothingness, and his apparent new obsession was dancing in those ugly heels. 

Hoseok bent over to reach his toes and nodded appreciatively when Taehyung did the same with ease. The younger hadn't always been able to keep up with Hoseok. Actually, he’s still not quite up to par with Hoseok’s dance crew, but that’s to be expected. After all, Taehyung has only been dancing for a little under a year, and Hoseok has been busting moves his entire life.

Hoseok can still remember the day he met the notorious Taehyung that had subverted his life. Or well, he didn't know Taehyung was the one who obnoxiously screamed Jimin’s name during every showcase, earning quite a name for himself. They had officially met through Jimin, the resident sunshine boy who wasn't quite an instructor yet, but he was close enough for Hoseok to trust as a teacher when he himself was too sick to work. Jimin had practically begged Hoseok to allow the yin to his yang, the peanut butter to his jelly, the pillow to his blanket (Jimin’s words, not his), and other senseless pairs to attend a practice. And who was Hoseok to deny the cutest mochi in existence. He was weak.

The next day, an unfamiliar boy had Jimin in tow, practically radiating boundless energy. The boy had beamed and introduced himself as Kim Taehyung, anime extraordinaire, and Hoseok had finally been able to put a name with the face. 

Honestly, he was surprised they hadn't met sooner. Hoseok’s good for nothing friends said he fell right away.

To Hoseok’sーand also Jimin’sーsurprise, Taehyung paid rapt attention to Jimin’s moves; every time Hoseok looked back, his brows furrowed as if he too was concentrating intensely. When the practice ended, he stood up and declared, “I can do that spin-kick too, see?” He attempted to demonstrate, but before he could complete a full turn, he landed firmly on his behind, an utterly perplexed expression on his face. Jimin just laughed and rustled his hair. Hoseok could tell that Taehyung had at least a little affinity for dancing, however, he had so much raw energy that set him back. 

“Jimin can teach you,” Jimin said with a grin.

Hoseok, no longer a spectator, began to adamantly refuse, “The beginners classes I have for adults are basically at an intermediate level now, and the only openings in my schedule are for kids-” 

“That’s fine with me,” Taehyung had responded.

And fine it was, as the kids didn't mind the new face, and the adults never complained. Actually, Taehyung was such a social butterfly, he’d managed to befriend many of the parents. After Taehyung reached an acceptable level of dance mastery, the kids had even given Taehyung a graduation ceremony into the adult classes. He still had much to learn.

Even so, after Hoseok met Taehyung the first time, he began to appear everywhere. Sometimes he popped up in the coffee shop Hoseok frequented. Other times he happened to be shopping for cup noodles in the grocery store, or picking up manga at the library. Once he was invited to Namjoon’s house for movie night. Needless to say the two had become close friends, though there were times Hosek wished for a bit more. Apparently there were close enough for Taehyung to drop by uninvited this morning. Maybe this was a sign for Hoseok to make a move.

Hoseok brought himself back to the present, no longer mindlessly stretching. He moved the the floor now, changing from butterfly to rotation this ankles, feeling his joints loosen and his mind relax. 

“Wait, Hyung.” Taehyung called out, distressed. Hoseok looked up. “Have you never danced in heels either?”  Taehyung sounded almost scandalized.

While Hoseok sort-of wanted to deny the fact that he’d ever danced in heels, his mind flashed back to the time where he borrowed Namjoon’s sister’s black heels on a dare, and well, that was not his brightest moment. Sometimes he did stupid things with friends. Luckily, Taehyung wasn't the type of person to judge. 

“Yes, I have danced in heels, don't worry.” He replied, hoping that Taehyung wouldn't push for details. After turning his neck and loosening up his shoulders, he fell into the splits easily. When he moved to a sitting position once again, Taehyung held out his hands so the pair could stretch each other’s calves. Hoseok fought back the red tint burning his ears. Hoseok stood up when felt the blush swoop to his neck because there was only so much Taehyung he could take. 

Suddenly Taehyung was right there, behind Hoseok, holding Hoseok’s arms in mid-stretch. His muscles felt looser. Hoseok willed his heart rate to calm because this was not the time for his hormones to bounce out of control. Still, his heart beat frantically out of his chest at Taehyung’s mere proximity and his chest filled with fluttery fragments of Taehyung.

And if he concentrated, he could almost feel Taehyung’s soft breath on his shoulder. He shook off the feeling and stepped away to finish.

Hoseok figured he’d made Taehyung wait enough, if the antsy, anxious toe-tapping and impatiently wiggling knees on the other side of the room were any indication. He bent down the the purple heels and takes a strap, and apparently that’s the cue for Taehyung to run over and grab his bright, traffic-slowing pair too. For a second, the only sound in the small studio is the sound of feet scuffling into shoes, an oddly satisfying sound to Hoseok. 

The first steps Hoseok took were not the most graceful, and the steps after that were more or less neater but still far from natural. Taehyung, on the other hand, had begun his first steps carefully but steadily. Instead of looking like a baby deer, his heels clacked together evenly without trouble. Still, they looked horrendous.

“You've practiced before today, haven't you?” Hoseok accused, a bit miffed that Taehyung, not even a full dancer, could pull of heels better than he could.

“No, I swear I haven't tried anything in them. I mean, I bought the shoes last night. Do you want to see the receipt?” Taehyung denied, stepping over to his bag.

Hoseok shook his head ‘no.’ He knew when Taehyung was telling the truth, since the younger was such a horrible liar. Apparently Taehyung, whose hair has gotten to know every dye color under the rainbow, happened to have a knack for strutting the runway among his other strange talents. Hoseok should be less surprised. 

“Well, let’s begin then.” Hoseok carefully stepped over to the music player and pondered over the music choices before selecting a track Taehyung was familiar with. He scuffled over to the mirror and ran through the routine with Taehyung once with minor difficulties, or at least he assumed everything went okay with Taehyung; heels took more effort that he was willing to admit. Though it looked as if Taehyung was born to slay the dizzying heels he was wearing. 

“Freestyle?” Hoseok asked when the music changed. Taehyung nodded good naturedly, a bit out of breath, though Hoseok knew he still struggled with finding his own moves.

After they had both worked up a sweat and their dedicated practicing had dissolved into a fit of laughing, flailing, and dancing to random girl group songsーoddly appropriate for the occasion. Soon, they mutually decided to take a break. An empty water bottle rolled on it’s side, stopping next to a mannequin torso while another stood unattended and barely used. No conversation was needed as they both tried to catch their breath. Hoseok was glad that the marks they had made on the floor didn't leave any glittery residue or anything indicating the type of shoe worn. 

“Can I choose the next song, Hyung?” Taehyung asked, eyeing the music player surreptitiously. Hoseok could only utter up a thumbs up from his position bent over, still recovering with high hands resting on his knees. Another round of wild girl group dances ensued.

The two had just begun a terrible rendition of the newest girl group hit when the main door opened and closed, to the obliviousness of the two dancers.

“Taehyung?” An incredulous voice called out. Hoseok froze, staring at Jimin who had just entered, the music still cheerfully blaring in the background. 

“I can explain,” Hoseok defended. At least Taehyung had the decency to shut off the music while Jimin tried to analyze the situation, eyebrows raised. 

Then Taehyung draped himself over Jimin, who recoiled and brushed off Taehyung’s sweat-soaked body. “Yuck, you both reek. And Tae, you’re so much taller than me. What’s going on?” He demanded.

“Missed you too, Jiminie,” Taehyung replied, detaching himself from his friend. Hosek took the time to unlace his shoes, his feet already quite sore. 

“Hoseok-hyung was just teaching me how to dance in these,” Taehyung clarified, holding up the striped heels as evidence, slipping them off in record time. 

“Taetae, I hate to break it to you, but those are the most appalling shoes I've ever seen,” Jimin tried to soften the blow with a nickname, but Taehyung still looked crushed. 

In an attempt to draw Jimin’s attention away from the heels and not because the heels had grown on Hoseok, he asked, “What are you doing here, Jimin?”

“What am I doing here?” Jimin repeated, “Classes start in twenty minutes, and you ask what I'm doing here? I should be asking what you’re doing. I didn't peg you as the type of person to slack off before class.” He stared pointedly at Hoseok. 

Hoseok glanced at the clock, sure that disbelief was written all over his face. According to the clock, he’d been dancing with Taehyung for the better of two hours. Taehyung appeared to be just as shocked. When he looked up at both Jimin and Hoseok, his face morphed into a look of utter panic. “I have a class in nine minutes,” he breathed, while he dashed to his backpack. Instead of putting his shoes back neatly into their box, he dumped both in his bag before slinging the pack over his shoulder. “Thank you for teaching me, Hyung.” He inclined his head. 

“What about these?” Hoseok held up the pair of purple heels. 

“Keep ‘em.” Taehyung answered, moving closer. “They won't fit me.” He looked conflicted for a second before reaching up and pecking Hosek on the cheek. Then he dashed off to catch his class.

Hoseok turned to Jimin, the younger having a knowing smile on his face. “Did that- did he just…?” He trailed off. 

Jimin covered his mouth with his fist, holding back giggles. “I'll let Taehyung explain himself. For now, we've got to set up.” 

“Right,” Hoseok replied, still dazed. Of course Jimin, Taehyung’s biggest confidant, would know what was going on. Did that mean his feelings were reciprocated or was he misreading all the signals? Luckily Jimin was there to keep him on task and inconspicuously elbow Hoseok whenever he became too deep in thought. Unfortunately, that happened more than once, though Jimin didn't bring up the topic again until the last student had exited the doors. 

“So Hyung,” Jimin began, ready to wheedle information out of Hoseok. “You still like Taehyung?” He asked while packing up. 

“I'm revoking your friend status,” Hoseok declared, grabbing the empty water bottles that had accumulated.

Jimin pouted, puffing out his lower lip, “You wouldn't do that to your insider. I was the one who introduced you two.”

Hoseok wished he could disagree. “Yes,” he admitted. 

“Yes what?” Jimin prodded, bursting with barely contained excitement. 

“Yes, I still like Taehyung,” Hoseok confirmed. “Happy?”

“Of course.” Jimin whipped out his phone. 

“I see those gears turning around in your head, Park Jimin. Don't you dare text Taehyung, or I’ll- I’ll tell the group that you were the one who finished the last of the carton of ice cream.” 

Jimin slid his phone into his pocket, whining, “You’re ruining my fun. You'd better contact Taehyung soon.” He left it as an empty threat. Jimin finished packing and made his way to the door. “See you tomorrow evening.” He waved. Then he cheekily added, “Don't get distracted too much, Hyung.” 

“Get out,” Hoseok yelled after him, unable to come up with a retort because he was busy trying to discourage the flush that ran up to his ears for the nth time that day. 

He stuffed the shoebox into his own bag and pulled out his phone, shooting Taehyung a quick text asking if he’d like to grab some lunch together and talk. Like always, Taehyung responded positively with a plethora of emoticons within the minute. With that closure, Hosek flipped the light switch off and locked the door, grateful that his apartment was within walking distance. He ambled along, heart lighter than it had been in the past year. And if Hoseok left those atrocious heels on his counter to deal with tomorrow instead of in the depths of his closet, where they belonged, he wasn't going to tell anyone.