Chapter 10

One More Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Irene..."

"What? Are you going to tell me to do nothing too?"

"Irene...you have to understand. This isn't something you can go against. I get it. You love Seulgi. But that won't be enough."

"She's my life Joy! I'll protect Seulgi to the best of my ability. I will not allow anybody to take her!"

"Irene..."

"Joy, have you ever fallen in love?"

"Umm...no. No, I haven't."

"If you fall in love with someone you'll understand. You'll understand how it feels to lose them. You'll know how it feels to have your heart torn apart everyday. And you'll know that I will do whatever it takes to fight for that love. No one will stop me."

"Fine. It seems that I can't change your mind."

"Joy, you told me to make the most of my wish and that's what exactly I will do. Thank you for everything that you and Seohyun have been doing. Now I will do my part. I will do everything to make sure she stays alive."

I looked up the bright sky. "I've experienced a life without Seulgi. And it's a life I can't live."

 

*****

 

"Hyun! What is this?"

"What is what?"

"You know what I'm talking about. I know you hired them. I don't need all of this Hyun!"

"Seulgi..."

"Hyun, I had an accident okay? I wasn't kidnapped or something. Why are you hiring these bodyguards? I understand the driver but bodyguards? Really?"

"Seulgi please. I just want you to be safe all the time."

"Hyun...you've been tense this past few days. What's wrong?"

I avoided her question. "Seulgi please? Please. It would make me at ease knowing that they'll keep you safe."

Seulgi released a big sigh. "Fine. If it puts you at ease."

"Thank you Seulgi."

"So, how's work?"

"Tiring. I just want to finish this so that I can come back to you. I miss my baby bear already."

"I miss you too. My friends are here and they keep me laughing all the time."

"Umm...really? Are you feeling okay now?"

"I'm much better now that you called."

"That's good. I'll be there as soon as I finish my work here. I'm really sorry for not accompanying you today. Tell your friends not to tire you out too much. Get well soon for me Seul. Promise?"

"Promise Hyun."

"Good. I have to go now. My meeting's in fifteen minutes."

"Yes, Hyun. Bye now."

I sigh when I heard the phone click. The other line has hang up, but I am still looking blankly at the screen. No matter what, I cannot wash away the guilt. It's eating me inside, slowly but surely. I am not sure if I can keep up with the lies. I am afraid of breaking the news to her later. Tears once again appear in my eyes.

I'll tell you when it's time Seulgi. That much I can promise you.

 

*****

 

It was already dark outside when I finished with the meeting. Soon after father saying that we were done, I immediately gathered my things into my purse, not bothered to change my clothes and I said a quick goodbye to my father and the directors. Dad gave me a questioning look when I run out from the boardroom. I made a quick stop to the store to buy some fruits and Seulgi's favorite, Pringles.

When my car reached the lobby of the hospital, I stepped out and grabbed the groceries I bought. I hurried to Seulgi's room hoping that she is still awake so that I can still a little chat with her. As soon as I was outside the door, I heard loud laughs and I stiffened. I heard a lot of voices that weren't Seulgi's.

I knocked the door softly and opened it. I was greeted by the sight of three girls plus Seulgi looking at me. Oh it's Yooa, Eunae and Moonbyul. They all have smiles on their faces and I tried to smile at them also.

"Oh!" Yooa who is beside Seulgi exclaims while peeling an orange.

"Irene Bae?" The same surprised tone is muttered by Eunae sitting on the foot of the bed.

"H-hello."  I gave them a slight bow.

"Is she---?" Moonbyul turned to Seulgi and raised her one eyebrow.

"Bae Joohyun, will you stand there all night? Come here." The warmth in my heart whenever she says my name is pleasant. I can feel my heart beat faster that it nearly jumps out of its place. I slowly walked to her and gave her a smile. 

"Guys, this is Irene Bae, my girlfriend. Hyun, these are my friends. Moonbyul, Eunae and Yooa." 

"You have a girlfriend? How? Why? Since when? Why didn't you tell me unnie?" Yooa whined followed by Eunae.

"Kids, I don't think that Seulgi needs to explain anything to us." Moonbyul, the oldest of them announces wisely. Seulgi nods to them.

"Sooo, since your girlfriend is here, I think we can go now. You need to rest so that she will be able to leave this dreadful place quickly. Right, Seulgi ah?" Moonbyul asks with her infamous smirk. 

Seulgi nods excitedly to her question, confirming her reply. The three of them proceed to one by one, hug her in a comforting way and saying their goodbyes, with Eunae and Yooa pouting. They ruffle her hair and even her cheeks. I tried so hard to not move my feet even an inch or my palm will land on one of these girls' faces.  They gave Seulgi a last glance then look at me in a way that can be translated into "You better take care of her or you'll get it from all of us." I gulped in sudden nervousness. I forgot how tight these girls are. They are such protective friends, I remembered. 

I placed the groceries on the table and sat beside her in the bed. "You look better now." I caressed her injured arm and cupped her cheeks.

"I had people come by and entertain me. There wasn't a single time that this room wasn't filled by people. Loud people, that is." 

I unintentionally sigh out loud upon hearing her story. I feel useless all of a sudden. People were able to make her laugh and forgot about the pain and what did I do? Nothing.

"But they say that you have to save the best for the last." Being the understanding girlfriend that she is, she understood my feelings. "And she is finally here."

I chuckled. "I'm glad that the accident didn't take your ability to smooth talk all the time."

"Nah. I'm a smooth talker only to you." I rolled my eyes and leaned down to capture her lips.

 

*****

 

"You look so worn out Seulgi ah." I was now back on the hospital. After a few chats with Wendy and Yeri, they left, Yeri to her class and Wendy to the office. I sit on the chair beside Seulgi, hands grabbin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter