あ PROLOGUE PT. 1

Another World | NCT Ten

"Do you really feel like it's the right thing to give everything up for him? Do you think it's worth dying for someone like him? Just remember how hard it was to get to this point? You don't deserve to go through the same pain twice," Sicheng said, he was frustrated, he didn't know why his best friend had to be such a loser. He didn't understand how she could fall in love. She was dead for heaven's sake why would she be trying so hard to get back down there, this guy caused her so much pain and tears and now she wanted to get back. It was like she was playing with fire. Sicheng let Mina go to her room and showed himself out, he told her he was going to search for information. They deserved to know what was happening. Sicheng didn't understand how she could remember that guy, because when you die the grim reaper, a really nice guy to be honest gives you tea, it's the tea of obliteration. Which makes you forget the people you used to know back when you were alive. So technically Mina should have forgotten about that guy since the very beginning. Sicheng was currently in the library, searching for some clues. Because Minas situation for sure was not normal. He looked through a few different books and decided to take two of them back home, he had to read more than just two sentences to figure out what was wrong, so he decided he was going to buy ice cream and Nutella. He was planning on sleeping over at Minas so they could search together.

 

When Sicheng returned and opened the door he didn't expect Mina to be that distressed. She was looking at the screen of her laptop, eyes wide open. She seemed to be in utter shock. He didn't know what happened while he was away and he was about to drop everything he was carrying just to comfort his friend. Sicheng looked at her, unsure if he should ask what was wrong. After a few minutes Mina caught herself she was nearly crying when she started speaking: "We are not dead. Sicheng we are soulless but we are not dead. We are living between the worlds, it's not what they tell us it is. We are not supposed to be here at all." Sicheng now knew why Minas expression a while ago was like that, his wouldn't look any different if he found out something like that. "Wait, how did you find that out? Are you sure? What if it's just some kind of legend people are telling around to scare others and stuff like that?", Sicheng couldn't believe that there could possibly exist something like that. "It's true look," Mina turned the screen towards his face and also put the books she was looking at a few moments ago in front of his nose. Sicheng was reading and as he kept going his expression of unfamiliar-ness turned into one of shock. He kept reading and scrolling for a few minutes and he repeated the part that was the most horrifying.

... The soulless can wander in form of a ghost but they can also be seen as humans in the pre-Nirvana. Through a special pact with the devil, they are either preserved in their human form in the pre-Nirvana or they are left bodiless on earth, while they get special powers so they can haunt or help the people who did them wrong or helped them. ...

"Mina, this can't be true. We are dead this doesn't exist and also I do not remember talking to the devil, also I don't remember anybody form before, like you do," Sicheng didn't want to be undead, he was too young to be dead but he for sure was too young to be undead as well. Mina opened a new tab and turned the screen back to her friend.

... During the pact, which must be requested by the last wish of the dying person to be fulfilled, the devil sends one of his grim reapers, to take the soul or the body. Most grim reapers do not take souls, because the act is more difficult than the one of taking the body. To take a soul the devil himself has to be present. Undead do not remember the encounter with the devil and sometimes they forget significant parts of their before-life. ...

"Do you know what this means Sicheng?", Mina asked while the boy was eating the half melted ice cream he bought. "It means that," he swallowed down the remaining ice cream: "That we need to find this devil guy and ask him for help." "Yeah, as if finding the devil was that easy," Mina said while standing up to get some water. "Why would it be difficult?", Sicheng asked: "It's not like there is a god, so the devil can't be that bad, besides who says there is only one, if everyone can be immortal after death why would there be just one devil?" "Sicheng?", the girl stopped him. "What?", Sicheng asked confused. "What are you even talking about?", Mina was about to laugh but then she remembered the situation they were facing. "How about we visit the supreme court's leader?", she asked instead.

-

"You can indeed, talk to the master, we will send him the request, you will have to wait for a moment please," a young woman behind a huge desk told them. She showed the both to the waiting room where two guys about Sichengs and Minas age were sitting. They greeted and sat on the opposite side. Who knew the devil had such good taste? The whole building was decorated nicely and everything looked modern and expensive. While Mina was thinking about the pretty things she saw around, Sicheng started talking to the two guys. "Mina, I told you there isn't just one devil. See? This is Ten and his friend there Mingyu. Ten is a student devil and Mingyu a fallen angel," Ten tried to explain. "So you are like the devil trainee?", the girl asked looking at the guy whose name was supposed to be Ten. "I mean he does look like a ten and the other guy may too have the looks of an angel," she thought to herself. Sicheng face palmed himself, he knew Mina since their death and he knew she was quite embarrassing but this reached a whole new level. "Dude, can you like think for yourself, this is really awkward," Sicheng told her honestly. Ten and Mingyu were just laughing. It was taking the receptionist forever to call out anybody and it was just four people waiting in the room, at least they had fun together and exchanged numbers to stay in touch after their procedures. Ten wanted to go back to earth to take revenge on someone, he didn't want to talk about who or why and Mingyu just wanted to go back to earth to help his friend, he didn't really have a reason to stay down there but he did hope to meet a grim reaper again. As for Mina and Sicheng they wanted to get back because of a special man. Sicheng was Minas only friend so he wanted to stay beside her at all times. He knew how vulnerable the girl actually was even after she learnt how to be tough. Ten gave Mina this look of pity, he was feeling the same as her. He had to talk to her alone. Without Mingyu and Sicheng around. He somehow knew what she wanted to do when she came back but he had to warn her.

"But did you see how that Ten guy looked at me. I bet his name is actually something really unattractive. I felt as if I was about to die. Again. It felt like he was reading my thoughts," Mina started rambling. "Stop it please. Maybe for once a guy thinks that you are attractive," Sicheng joked, but it hurt Mina. It reminded her of why she wanted to go back so badly. She didn't really want to feel Sichengs presence so she locked herself in her room and let the poor guy eat his Nutella by himself. She was lying in her bed a few hours ago some tears left her eyes but she stopped soon after. Mina was looking into the distance, when suddenly her phone vibrated. She was deep in thought, that's why she wasn't aware of the sounds and vibrations at first. But then she couldn't endure the noise.

Mina POV

Hey (Sent at 23:35 by Unknown)

And you is? (Sent at 23:52)

Remember Ten from today? Yeah that'd be me (Sent at 23:53 by Ten?)

Ohh (Sent at 00:10)

Heyy (Sent at 00:10)

Did you need something? (Sent at 00:11)

Nahh, just wanted to talk to you, can we meet up? (Sent at 00:12)

Uhm, like now? (Sent at 00:15)

Yeah, why? Is there something wrong? (Sent at 00:17)

Nothing, I'll be at the fountain (Sent at 00:25)

You better be there (Sent at 00:25)

What exactly am I doing right now? I just met this guy. He is a devil. And for the sake of my sanity he could be some psycho.

Narrator POV

Mina got up and took her black jacket and some sneakers to wear. She put them on in her room and slowly opened the door. She still didn't want to face Sicheng and knowing him he was probably still in the living room waiting for her to leave her room. Today she was lucky. The boy was in a deep sleep, lying on the old couch in Mina's living room. She went up to him and put his Nutella jar on the table, then she covered him with a blanket and slowly sneaked out.

Mina didn't really look at her phone and she also didn't care about the time, but Ten did. It was one in the morning and he was still waiting for Mina to appear. The girl was walking slowly up to the fountain. This place is boring she thought to herself as she was walking up to a dark figure leaning against the cold stones of the fountain which wasn't working. It was Ten. She ran up to him and said hi. "Oh, hey. I didn't think you would come," he said looking at the time on the screen. "Well I'm here," the girl simply stated. She was now leaning against the fountain about 30 cm away from the boy. He was looking into the distance, nothing in particular. It was really quite and almost uncomfortable, but Ten decided to speak up: "Did you ever think about becoming a devil?" Mina shuffled, turned her head to look at the boy and started speaking: "Why?" "Nothing really. I was just interested. You seem like someone hurt you down there," Ten said, still looking ahead: "I know how you must be feeling. I kinda had the same situation." Mina now started walking around hectically, she was shaking her head: "No, no you don't know how I 'must' be feeling. Nobody does. I don't really care what happened to you for you to decide you wanted to be a devil, I honestly don't. Boy I don't even know you. I don't believe you, like do you realize in what kind of situation I am right now, because I feel really stupid. It's half past two in the ing morning and I met up with a devil. A devil called Ten, like the stupid number. I swear to heaven if god existed I would pray to that guy to keep me sane," she would probably be ranting further if Ten didn't stop her by screaming 'stop, stop, stop, stop, stop' loudly. She turned around and looked at the boy: "Do you really think that revenge is the only solution?" Ten was now confused, he listened to her without saying anything: "You are right, I indeed got hurt by someone I really liked, but I don't want to hurt him. I know that he loved me as much as I loved him." Now he had to stop her: "No, you can't love someone who hurt you. You can't still feel that emotion towards someone who killed you!" "He didn't kill me, I did it myself," Mina started walking home, because she couldn't stand talking to Ten any longer, he didn't seem to understand her point and she didn't have the nerves to explain everything.

"Can you please wait up?", Ten was going behind Mina, trying to catch up. The girl didn't turn around, she simply wasn't interested in talking to anybody. She was heading to the convenience store, some gummy bears would be nice right now she thought.

"Can you please not run away from me. I have something important to tell you," Ten was still running behind the stubborn girl. "Please just hear me out!"