Fate - Mr Sunshine

Read my fortune

He did not come to get his fortune told … again – for the third time!

 

Hwiyoung stared dumbly at the temporary constructed tent with a big sign in red words which screamed “Fortune Telling Service”.

 

Today was the last day of the college festival. The fortune telling booth was just one of the many games, activities and performances of the annual three-day event. Hwiyoung had been coming to get his fortune read for the last two days.

 

He was mortified at the thought of having his fortune told a third time.

 

I’m not here because there is a hot guy with a megawatt smile and deep piercing gaze in there telling my fortune. I’m not some crazy guy trying to stalk him.

 

I’m just here because I’m curious about my future and I just happen to forget to ask all the important questions in one go.

 

After all, his prediction was accurate. It actually did come true the same evening after the first session!

 

Maybe he could tell me how well I will do in my studies…or in my career… that will be good to know.

 

Or maybe I should just leave. Since I believe in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit, I shouldn’t be superstitious, and let the big guys take charge.

 

Just as Hwiyoung was about to turn around to head off, he felt a sudden force push him forward.

 

(Actually it was Hwiyoung himself who subconsciously took two long strides forward and nearly tripped on himself.)

 

Maybe this is God’s sign and permission that I should have my fortune told after all.

 

Just then two girls brushed past him pushing him one step forward. He heard them muttering that the fortune telling service will end earlier today in about an hour’s time.

 

He quickened his pace to join the queue. Fortunately, there were no more than six people ahead of him. He sighed in relief. So he should be able to meet with the fortune teller to ogle the fortune teller’s handsome face to get his fortune told.

 

“Can’t wait to get my fortune told by Yoo Taeyang sunbae-nim,” one of the girls giggled excitedly. “I heard he’s accurate with his predictions.”

 

“Who cares about that? It’s not like I want to know my future. As long I can bask in his handsomeness in the present. His handsomeness blinds me. I think I need to wear sunglasses,” the other girl replied.

 

Hwiyoung rolled his eyes at the lame joke and superficial comment. Of course, the future is more important than the present.

 

I’m here because I want to know about my future!

 

……

 

Hwiyoung gazed blankly at the campus map. It did not help that he was running late for the freshmen orientation, he was bad at directions, and he wanted to conserve whatever low remaining charge he had in his handphone battery by resisting the urge to resort to Google or Naver maps. His mind was in a whirl as he studied the map and attempted to map out the route to his destination when he heard a boyish voice.

 

“Are you lost? Do you need any help?” 

 

Hwiyoung turned his attention to the voice. It was a male who was about Hwiyoung’s age. He was dressed comfortably in a simple dark coloured print tee with a faded pair of light blue jeans that were neatly folded up at the legs and a pair of high top black Converse. His hair was lightly tousled. He had bright, sparkly eyes, a sharp looking face, and a broad, blinding smile.

 

“He’s a cutie,” Hwiyoung thought to himself.

 

“Are you a freshman? Are you here for the orientation?” the boy spoke again.

 

“Uh…yes…I’m kind of lost…It’s my first time in this campus and it’s really huge…” Hwiyoung uttered nervously.

 

“No worries. Just follow me. I’m heading the same way. Follow me,” he spoke brightly. “Come on, we’re running late.”

 

Hwiyoung merely scampered after the boy, trying to keep up the male’s brisk pace. They finally arrived in front of a large block of building and his guide stopped.

 

“We’re here. The auditorium is at Level Two. Just head up the stairs.”

 

“Thank you,” Hwiyoung bowed.

 

“My pleasure.”

 

Hwiyoung took a few steps towards the stairs when he realised that the boy was not following him. He turned towards the boy and called out, “Aren’t you attending the orientation?”

 

The said boy returned with a bright, blinding smile, “I’m not. I’m a third year. But you might see me at the orientation. See you around.”

 

…..

 

The orientation was typical – the usual welcome messages and setting of expectations by the college and faculty members – followed by a guided tour around campus followed by games and activities.

 

Hwiyoung could not deny his orientation group leader – a certain third year student named Kim Mingyu was a piece of human art which had all the girls swooning all over him. Hwiyoung would be swooning over him internally except his poor little heart had been captured by Mr Sunshine – aka the boy he met in the morning. He could not help but shift his gaze towards where Mr Sunshine was. Apparently he was an orientation group leader too. He was shooting lasers of sunshine – okay maybe Hwiyoung is exaggerating a little – but Mr Sunshine’s bright smiles and what Hwiyoung could make out as bursts of hearty laughter gave him a summery, friendly and warm aura. Hwiyoung was cursing the gods for not being in Mr Sunshine’s group as he could only gaze longingly at the boy. He even cursed himself for not getting Mr Sunshine’s name so that he could stalk him on his SNS find out more about him.

 

Maybe he’ll get a chance to find out about Mr Sunshine soon, and maybe befriend him, and maybe something more would help. Okay, he was getting too way ahead of himself. For now, he could only pray to all the gods in the world that they would take pity on him and at least for starters to get Mr Sunshine’s name or to meet Mr Sunshine again.  

 

…..

 

Maybe the gods really favour little gay Hwiyoung. He found himself in school three days later to borrow some books. He was feeling thirsty and a little peckish and he walked into the convenience store to purchase a snack and drink.

 

Hwiyoung was fumbling about with his wallet. He forgot to withdraw cash on his way to college. He offered to pay by credit card but the store clerk rolled her eyes in irritation and muttered something that the amount was too small to pay by credit card. Hwiyoung was just about to make a sassy retort when he heard a familiar voice ring out, “I’ll take care of his purchases as well.”

 

The store clerk grunted in acknowledgement. Hwiyoung spun around and came face to face with Mr Sunshine who gave Hwiyoung a broad, reassuring smile.

 

“Oh,” Hwiyoung could only gape in response.

 

Mr Sunshine paid for his and Hwiyoung’s purchases. Hwiyoung took his bottled drink and snack and both of them exited the store together.   

 

“Thank you so much. I have to pay you back. Could you wait here for a while? I’ll just run to the ATM and withdraw some cash to pay you back or you could follow me to the ATM…” Hwiyoung blubbered.

 

“It’s alright. It’s not a lot of money. It’s my treat. And I have to get going…” Mr Sunshine flashed another one of his charming smiles.

 

“But I feel bad,” Hwiyoung insisted.

 

“Hey Hwiyoung!” a voice suddenly called out for Hwiyoung.

 

It was Dawon, his housemate. They were supposed to meet up for lunch.

 

“Yoo Taeyang! It’s been a while,” Dawon greeted.

 

“It’s been a while hyung,” Mr Sunshine responded.

 

“So Mr Sunshine’s name is Yoo Taeyang. How appropriate,” Hwiyoung thought to himself. “That smile of his…”

 

“I’m about to have lunch with Hwiyoung here. Do you want to join us for lunch?” Dawon asked.

 

Dawon’s invite snapped Hwiyoung out of his thoughts as he muttered silently, “Please say yes. Please say yes.”

 

“I wish I could, but I got to head off to practice,” Taeyang replied.

 

Hwiyoung could feel his heart plummet from the top of a high rise building from disappointment at Taeyang’s 

 

“But let’s find some time to catch up next week,” Taeyang offered. “Text me.”

 

“Will do.”

 

“Bye hyung. Bye Hwiyoungie.” Taeyang waved and smiled.

 

“Uh Hwiyoungie…” Hwiyoung thought to himself. “That sounds so sweet and endearing. I like that. If only he would call me Hwiyoungie every day.”

 

He quickly snapped himself out of his fantasy to say goodbye to Taeyang and to thank him again for the purchase.

 

……

 

“Hyung…”

 

“Yes Hwiyoungie?” Dawon chuckled. “You didn’t think I didn’t notice you blushing when Taeyang called you Hwiyoungie…do you happen to have a crush on Taeyang?”

 

“Hyung…” Hwiyoung protested. “I didn’t blush…”

 

“Maybe I have a little crush on Taeyang,” Hwiyoung uttered rapidly under his breath.

 

Dawon continued chuckling. He was enjoying seeing Hwiyoung flustered.

 

“Wait a minute. If I blushed…OMG…did Taeyang see it? Was it obvious? OMG. What if he hates guys who blush in front of him? What if Taeyang thinks I am creepy or something? What happens if he is homophobic or something? Oh no!” Hwiyoung was hyperventilating.

 

Dawon patted Hwiyoung reassuringly on his back. “Don’t worry about that Hwiyoungie. Taeyang is a nice guy. And I can assure you he is no homophobe. Come on let’s go for lunch. My treat.”

 

Hwiyoung wasn’t entirely convinced. But there was nothing he could do at the moment. Maybe he would take the opportunity to find out more about Taeyang.

 

“Dawon hyung. How long have you known Taeyang hyung?”

 

……

 

By the time Monday arrived, Hwiyoung had used his stalking sleuthing skills to locate Taeyang’s Facebook and Instagram. Unfortunately for Hwiyoung, Taeyang turned his settings to private so there were not many pictures of Taeyang except for one of two profile pictures of Taeyang which Hwiyoung had to make do with to satisfy his thirst for Taeyang. He wanted to add Taeyang on Facebook and Instagram but he felt that would freak Taeyang out. He wanted to wait until he meets with Taeyang again so that they could talk for a bit before exchanging contacts. He tried to pester Dawon for more information about Taeyang but Dawon refused to tell Hwiyoung anything more than Taeyang being a third year Psychology major.

 

It was Monday of the first day of the school term. Hwiyoung was at the canteen waiting for Dawon to show up for lunch. He just had two lectures in the morning, and he was looking forward to getting some lunch to feel his growling stomach. So Hwiyoung was pretty annoyed when Dawon arrived five minutes past their appointed time and dragged him away from the canteen to watch a dance performance despite his protests.

 

“But I don’t want to watch a dance performance,” Hwiyoung whined as they jostled their way through the spectators to get close to the stage. “I’m hungry. I didn’t have a proper breakfast.”

 

“And why do we need to go so near to the stage? Can’t we stay at the back? There’s a squeeze around here,” Hwiyoung grumbled.

 

“Trust me, you won’t regret it,” Dawon smirked.

 

……

 

Hwiyoung has heard of the English expression ‘ovaries exploding’. If he was a female, the phrase was probably the best description of his current state of being. He could finally empathise with his sisters and female friends who would scream their lungs out and act totally crazy in front of their favourite male idols.

 

The sight in front of him was just too much for his innocent, teenage gay boy heart. Neither was it good for the raging hormones of a twenty year old teenage gay male. No, he was not getting a hard-on or anything, but the feels…just kept rushing at him especially when Yoo Taeyang who was sporting a blueish-greyish dyed hair that was parted at the centre, executed a sleek and y wave as he danced to BTS’ I Need You. If that wasn’t bad enough for poor Hwiyoung, Taeyang grabbed his crotch while maintaining an intense gaze while being a Boy in Luv. Was it his imagination or did Taeyang make eye contact with him (Hwiyoung) while he was grabbing his crotch?

 

The lyrics to the next song Taeyang performed perfectly described Hwiyoung’s state. How could Taeyang be so cute, charismatic and manly at the same time while dancing to AOA’s Heart Attack? That’s right – Hwiyoung would have gone into cardiac arrest if his heart wasn’t any much stronger.

 

The short performance ended with Taeyang executing powerful moves to the song Growl. And those floor movements were extremely fluid. Hwiyoung was so enthralled by Taeyang’s dancing that he had forgotten about his hunger or the fact that Dawon had left the showcase halfway.

 

…..

 

Hwiyoung was really looking forward to the end of his class. He was really famished, and he wanted something to eat. He was still a growing teenager after all – and all the managed to have for lunch was a measly egg and ham sandwich which he had to wolf down quick or risk missing his class. He was also hungry for Yoo Taeyang even though he had feasted on the eye candy about two hours ago.

 

He could not help but feel a little annoyed when Dawon sent him a text message asking where he was. Foolishly, Hwiyoung replied with his whereabouts. It was probably due to his hunger really getting to him that he wasn’t able to think straight.

 

……

 

“Hey where we are going? I’m really hungry,” Hwiyoung complained as Dawon grabbed and pulled him towards an unknown direction. “I really need to eat something. You got me into this hungry state.”

 

“Just follow me and you won’t regret it. After all you enjoyed yourself earlier, didn’t you?” Dawon teased. “Did you like what you see?”

 

“Uh…I…Um…” Hwiyoung stuttered.

 

Dawon stopped in his tracks and reached into his bag to pull out a bean paste bun and a banana. “You can have this to stop your physical hunger.”

 

“Thanks hyung,” Hwiyoung accepted the food gratefully.

 

“As for your hunger for a certain Yoo Taeyang…I don’t know…it may take a while…or who knows maybe later…” Dawon teased.

 

“Hyung!” Hwiyoung protested. There was a blush creeping on his cheeks.

..............................................................................................................................................................

This is my first time writing something so fluffy. I hope you enjoy what I have written so far. I just wanted to write a one-shot to let out the feels I have for Hwitae - Hwiyoung x Taeyang. So there's not much of a thought put into the plot and all. The fortune telling part will be in the next chapter, It will hopefully be posted next week. 

Please remember to comment on this story and if you have the time, do check out my other works as well which I really need to update. But first, on with this show. 

Cheers.