Final - Day by Day

하루하루 (Haru Haru)

"Mark.... please."

Mark sighed, looking down at the band of shining metal that Youngjae had placed in his hand.

He considered it for a few minutes, wondering what he was doing, but he knew he couldn't ignore Youngjae's last wish.

Mark hesitated a moment more, before clenching his hand around the ring and feeling the metal digging into his fingers.

"I'll do it." He said.

The relief was evident on Youngjae's face.

He reached up and hugged the older male, burying his face in his neck.

They stood like that for a moment, swaying back and forth.

And then the door banged open.

There was Jaebum standing in the doorway.

Mark could see when he 'understood' what was happening, when the despair flashed across his face, the cold look in his eyes flashing anger.

He cross the space between him and the pair and punched Mark in the face.

"What are you doing?!" he yelled in Mark's face.

Turning to Youngjae, he asked in a softer voice, "What is happening here?"

And then, his voice dripping cold, he said, "Are you cheating on me with him? Is that it?"

Mark opened his mouth to deny it, and then Youngjae sent him a look.

And it hit Mark.

This was Youngjae's plan.

He begrudgingly nodded at him and closed his mouth.

Jaebum let the silence stretch for what seemed like forever, and then he turned back to Mark and pushed him against the wall in a chokehold.

Mark calmly ducked out of his hold and in a matter of seconds, Jaebum was lying on the floor, gasping for breath.

Youngjae put his hand up for a high five, and Mark hit his hand, and then they walked out of the building with their arms over each others shoulders.

Only Mark saw the pain in Youngjae's eyes at Jaebum lying on the floor.

----------

Youngjae had almost been scared when Jaebum had seen him and Mark together in the car, but he knew he would never hurt them intentionally.

So he slung his arm over Mark's shoulders and stared challengingly into his eyes, and shut his emotions down so he wouldn't start crying.

When Yugyeom and Bambam came to drag him off, Youngjae could see the disappointment in Jackson and Jinyoung's eyes as they watched from farther away.

Youngjae didn't even know who it was directed at.

-------

Jaebum's apartment was a mess.

He had punched the walls in his rage, thrown all he could get his hands on, and hadn't bothered to clean up.

It was just as well, because he didn't feel like even bothering to pick up the broken pieces of his heart yet.

----------

Youngjae was finally in the hospital.

He had refused for so long, and even though his hair had been falling out in clumps, he had refused for the longest time, until Mark and told all his ex-friends what was really happening, and they all came together to get him into the hospital.

He was lying on the white bed that was too clean, too sterile for his liking.

'Why is the ceiling blurry?' he wondered.

And then there were people everywhere, and they were yelling, and he was moving, on a stretcher.

He saw Jinyoung staring at him as they wheeled him by, saw him turn and run, and it just reminded him of Jaebum.

---------

".....what?!"

"Youngjae's dying, Jaebum. Listen to me, he's in surgery, he's dying, he doesn't have much time, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.."

Jaebum slowly took the phone down from his ear.

And he started running, still clutching the phone, not caring if it broke, not caring about his legs burning, not caring about his lungs screaming for air.

He burst into the hospital, not stopping, just running, running to where Jinyoung had said he was.

And then he saw Mark.

 
'I hope your heart is relieved
Please, forget me and live
Those tears will completely dry
Days will pass
It'd hurt less if we never had met
I hope you'll bury this promese we made to stay together forever baby
I pray for you'
 

He stopped, and then continued walking, hoping to avoid him.

But Mark caught his wrist, spun him around.

"I'm sorry... Youngjae really loved you."

He stopped, and then pressed the ring into Jaebum's hand and continued walking.

Jaebum stared at it, the pieces clicking together in a sense of finality, and that was when the tears came.

He started running again, finally spotting the doors of the ER, and he walked up to them, wanting to burst in.

He felt a hand on his shoulder, and when he turned around, Jackson was there.

Jaebum broke down, clutching onto Jackson, and remained like that until his tongue felt thick and no more tears would come.

And then he sat down and waited.

It seemed like forever until the doors opened, and even as the doctors pushed the stretcher out, Jaebum knew.

Youngjae's brown eyes, eyelashes still wet, stared up at him, but not seeing him, not registering him, for his eyes were glassy, never to see again, clouded over with death.


'Don't look behind you and leave
Don't find me again and live
Because I keep no regrets from loving you
Reminded only of nice memories
Somehow I can get through this
Somehow I can get back on my feet
You should be happy if you live like this
Day by day I become dull'


Jaebum slowly sank down and pressed his forehead against his arm.

And finally, it registered that it wasn't a dream, that Youngjae was dead, that he had only wanted to protect him, that it had been a ruse, and his heart tore open again.


'I cry, cry
You're my all
Say goodbye bye
Oh, my heart
Don't lie, lie
You're my heart
Say goodbye'

 

------------- 

Hello!! ^^

This is my second completed fic, which was inspired by Big Bang X3

I hope you like it~

I've written about some heavy stuff so far, actually XD

I promise there will be some fluff later *^*

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed!!!

-Soulmates <3