One

The Inn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yuta didn't even want to leave the dorm on summer vacation; this was all his friend's fault.  The moment Sicheng burst into their dorm, demanding for him to get as lazy out of bed, Yuta knew it was a bad idea.  But he could never say no to Sicheng.  

Now he was dead and the only person left to blame was his best friend.  He knew that it was wrong to blame him.  How could he have known?  Yuta didn't even know the guy who killed him- only that he was behind him one second and gone the next.  And Sicheng wasn't there.  He was off flirting with some girl he'd met an hour ago while Yuta bled out on a dirty kitchen floor.

He pushed the memories of watching Sicheng scream at him to "wake up," to "come back to me" back, but they played on repeat in his head.  His best friend sobbed and cradled his bloody, unmoving body while Yuta stood over him and tried to get his attention.

"Siching!  Hey, Sicheng!  I'm right here.  Please."  Yuta's voice broke on the last word and he fell to his knees next to his childhood friend.  He tried to put a hand on his shoulder, but a chill went through him when his fingers phased through his friend.  

Yuta was truly alone.

When Sicheng left in the days following Yuta's murder, the ghost spiraled into a pit of despair.  He barely left the kitchen he was murdered in and laughed to himself as he terrorized the old woman that owned the place.  He got to the point that he wouldn't leave her along until she cried and screamed.  He slung pots, knocked over prepared drinks, slammed the doors, and threw things at her.

He was sad to admit that he enjoyed it.  It made him feel better.  More alive.  If she couldn't see him, she'd certainly know he was there.  Yuta made sure of that.

All this changed the day he met Jaehyun.  He smelled him before he saw him.  The heavy scent of smoke drifted dow the hallway, soon followed by a tall, handsome boy.  Yuta's heart dropped when he met his eyes.

"You're the one in the kitchen?"  He asked softly.

Yuta's was shaking as he reached a careful hand out towards the other ghost.  Tears threatened to fall when he desperately whispered, "You.. You can see me?"

His face softened.  He smiled reassuringly and took Yuta's hand.  It was cold, but this was the most human interaction Yuta had in over a year.  "Yes, I can see you.  My name is Jaehyun."

"Yuta."  He was too worked up about actually touching somebody to worry about being polite.  Jaehyun seemed to understand and kept hold of his hand as he led him down a hallway.  "Where are we going?"

"To meet the others."  

"Hold the up.  I just met you and now you're taking me to meet 'the others?'"  Yuta demanded, snatching his hand away.  "How do I know you're not going to-"

"Murder you?  Sweetie, you're already dead."

"Shut up.  Who even are they?"  Despite his better judgement, Yuta followed him.  He shyly took Jaehyun's hand again.  It felt nice to touch somebody.

"Taeyong's a ghost.  He's kind of quiet, but once he warms up to you he'll never shut up.  Ten is my dog.  We died together.  Johnny is a psychic.  His grandmother owns this inn."  Jaehyun spoke as he led him down a small hallway and up a flight of stairs.

The inn was small and quaint, with the look of a cottage.  The yard was full of flowers and trees and the inside had a rustic feel to it.  Overall, it was very homey.

Jaehyun stopped outside room 8.  He shuffled awk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter