three

Astral

Ever since Inna realized that Jungkook wasn't as nice or gentle as she thought he would be, her fascination with him had almost disappeared completely. It had been a few days since she let that sink in, and while she kept her thoughts to herself, it was a strange experience to be so disappointed in someone that she didn't even know all that well in the first place. 

Perhaps she just projected her insecurities on someone who she felt was dependable, someone that she wanted to be, but after that realization, Inna realized that it was hopeless to do so; people aren't what they appear to be and she was living proof of that. With another sigh, she rolled over to the other side of her bed and glanced up at the clock. It was getting quite close to eight and her classes started at nine, but Inna had no motivation to do anything. All she really wanted to do was relax throughout the day and get settled, but Inna was never one to miss class so recklessly - especially if it costed money. 

Grunting tiredly, she pushed herself to get out of bed and saw Jion drowsily wake up. 

"Morning," her roommate whimpered quietly, rubbing her half-lidded eyes. 

"Good morning," Inna greeted back, heading to the bathroom to wash up. She stared at her dishevled appearance in the mirror and sighed as she combed her fingers through her hair. 

Life was difficult. Especially for someone like Yang Inna.

 

 

*

 

 

It took her about thirty minutes to get ready, and before she left, she had checked her appearance in the mirror. With her hair neatly combed and her outfit carefully picked to perfection, Inna gave a soft nod of affirmation and left for her classes. Ever since she was a child, she had been conditioned by her mother to look extra presentable, especially when she had to represent the Yang family, and as she grew up, things didn't change. She continued to care about her appearance more than she should have, but at this point in her life, it was just a habit. 

Anxiously biting her lip and squeezing the hem of her black windbreaker, Inna finally gave one last look at herself and turned to leave. The walk from her dorm room to the building with all her classes wasn't too far, so she took her time on the walk, and on the way there, she happened to run into Jin.

"Oh hello," she greeted, as he jogged up to her. 

"Good morning Inna! What do you have first?"

She opened her phone and quickly went to the photo of her schedule that she took the night before and Jin perused it, his eyes lighting up happily. "We share second, fourth, and fifth! A lot of my friends are in your classes too, but honestly, it's to be expected because you're smart." Inna looked up at him as he innocently smiled at her, and shyly thanked him. She wasn't used to being complimented on something that she had control over; usually, there would be remarks about how cool her family was or how amazing her legacy was (as if she had any at all), but when Jin gently praised her over her intelligence (something that didn't exactly come easily to her), her heart fluttered.

She didn't feel any sort of romantic interest in him, since he only seemed to be like a brother to her, but when he said that, Inna could feel her cheeks turning red and her chest constricting in happiness. Jin merely laughed and pat her head gently, enjoying the bashful look on her face. "You should hurry and get to class. I think you might share it with Jimin and Jungkook!"

When Inna heard the familiar boy's name being mentioned, her ears perked up quietly, although she didn't want to seem like she was interested in him. However, she just said goodbye to Jin, before heading to class, and sure enough, when she walked in, she saw Jimin and Jungkook sitting right next to each other. 

Awkwardly perusing the room for an empty seat, Inna just settled for a seat that was next to the window, and sighed silently to herself. She didn't really know anyone in the room and she was coming in as a transfer student anyway, so everyone's cliques were already established. Wishing that she had at least her roommates in the class, she didn't notice two girls approaching her with curious eyes. 

"Are you Yang Inna?" They asked rather loudly, catching her by surprise. 

"Yes," she nodded, wary of what they were about to say next. Her suspicious intuitions were correct, though, as they started to squeal and fangirl to each other. 

"Your brother is so cute! Can you introduce us to him sometime?" 

"Maybe..." She said. "He's really busy though."

Inna was used to being used by others. They only cared about her name, rather than her as a person, and it was expected that people would talk about her celebrity brother anyway. A close second after him would be her CEO parents and pretty much everyone in her family after that. 

Before the other girls could say anything else, a husky voice called out to them. 

"Can't you girls be any louder? Anyway, her brother isn't a hotshot anyway."

Inna looked up to see that it was Jungkook talking and she was about to shoot him a grateful glance, until he continued on and said, "I'm pretty sure my face beats his any day." 

"Okay, but are you a celebrity?" One of the girls rolled their eyes playfully. "Though you're not wrong, you are pretty cute!" 

The two naturally gravitated towards him and Jimin, and they soon seemed to be animatedly talking to each other. From an outsider's perspective, Inna could see that Jungkook was pretty popular. 

But she didn't seem to understand why. 

 

 

*

 

 

It wasn't long before the teacher had walked inside of the room, and before he even cast a look at anyone, he muttered loudly, "I already have your seats arranged, so get ready to move."

Inna was a bit taken aback by his forwardness, but she obediently got up with everyone else. The teacher had started calling out the seating order and she prayed for a seat by the window because those were her favorite. Despite that, she got put on the other side of the room and since the tables were meant to fit two people, she was partnered up with Jimin, Jungkook's friend. 

"Hello," he said, holding out his hand. "My name is Park Jimin." 

"Hi," she grabbed his hand and shook it firmly, just like how her father had taught her. "I'm Yang Inna. It's nice to meet you." 

He didn't answer and Inna assumed that he was slightly reserved, but it didn't really bother her because she didn't have much to say either. She noticed that Jungkook was sitting a few seats away from her and was seated next to a girl, who was already oozing over him. Before she could turn away, it seemed as if Jimin noticed where she was looking and quietly asked, "Are you into Jungkook?" 

"No," Inna asserted clearly, surprising him. "Not at all. He's just a little strange... That's all."

"Hm. You must be in denial then." 

Once again, Inna was taken aback by his statement and stared back at him in shock. 

"Why would I be in denial?" 

"Because everyone loves Jungkook." Jimin stated, as if it were common sense. 

"Ah, I see... I guess I'm not part of everyone then," Inna replied with a sigh. 

"That's weird. A lot of girls love Jungkook, but I guess you're an outlier," he said casually, but it only made her feel even more ashamed of herself. 

She was another outlier, as always. 


author's note

hello everyone! i apologize for taking so long to update, it's been very hectic in my life :( however, i'm back on the grind!! i hope everyone has a great 2018 as well <33