Chapter One

Miss You

Hyungwon inhales sharply, a ghastly pain shooting up from his knee. He glances around to make sure no one had heard him, because otherwise they'd be surrounding him and demanding he not perform. Luckily, they're all too caught up with pre-performance jitters to have taken notice. Even Kihyun is oblivious, for which Hyungwon thanks god, thanks to Changkyun and him messing with Jooheon to keep him distracted from his nerves. 

This is the last time they'll be onstage in Korea for the summer, after all. Their last Shine Forever promotional stage. Everyone's nervous, this being their last thing keeping them from fully dedicating themselves to their impending tour. 

Hyungwon grips his thigh tightly in an attempt to steel himself against the pain. He just needs to make it through this stage, then he can rest. If he manages to hide this from everyone, he can even go on the tour. 

If he manages to make it through tonight, he won't disappoint anyone. 

 

"It's too bad we can't promote any longer," Changkyun murmurs as he changes from his stage outfit after their performance, pouting a bit at the floor. Kihyun hums in acknowledgment. He agrees with their maknae, but there's  no point in discussing it now. He and Minhyuk had tried for weeks to convince the company to hold off on Shine Forever promotions until after their tour, but they wouldn't hear anything of it. It's almost as if the company doesn't want them to win first place at a music show after all, or something. 

A hiss of pain at Kihyun's side draws his attention immediately, his eyes widening as they land on Hyungwon. His dongsaeng is bent over in pain where he sits on the couch, his chest pressed down against his knees. 

"Wonnie?" Kihyun asks, moving to sit beside him. "What's wrong?" He slowly begins to run his hand up and down the younger's back like he knows he likes it, consolingly pressing his fingers against his spine. He watches wearily as Hyungwon seems to struggle to lift his head, glancing at him with a pain-stricken expression he'd never seen before. It's enough to make his heart stop mid-beat. 

"My knee..." Hyungwon murmurs in a tense voice. Kihyun frowns, waiting for more of an explanation that doesn't come. He looks up from his gaze on Hyungwon, absentmindedly setting his other hand on Hyungwon's arm, which Hyungwon immediately grabs with his own thin fingers. "Kkungie, go get Hongsik-hyung. Tell him Hyungwon's knee is acting up again." Changkyun nods dutifully, and doesn't even spare a glance their way before rushing from the room. 

"No!" Hyungwon protests, but it's too late. He turns to Kihyun once more, all pain in his eyes replaced with fear. "Hyung, really, there's no need for him to get the manager. If you just give me a minute I'll be fine." Kihyun raises a skeptical brow, pursing his lips at the obvious lie. Hoseok and Jooheon, who had been joking around with Hyunwoo on the other side of the room, look over at the frantic maknae and then to the two on the couch. 

"Hyung?" Jooheon asks immediately, moving over to kneel down in front of him. He watches him with anxious eyes, a small pout forming on his lips. "Hyung, what's wrong?" 

"It's his knee again," Kihyun answers, ignoring Hyungwon's pleading gaze. Hoseok comes over to join them, frowning. 

"I thought the doctors cleared you for performing when this happened  last month," he says suspiciously, crossing his arms over his chest. 

"They did," Hyungwon insists. "That's why this is nothing, I just need a minute to—"

"It isn't nothing," Kihyun interrupts, his gaze almost accusatory at this point. "Wonnie, you're going pale and you're sweating more than you were when we left the stage. Why don't you want us to help you?" He's beginning to become aggravated, his dongsaeng's fibs about his own condition frustrating him to no end. 

"I—" Hyungwon begins to argue, but he's cut off again by Hongsik storming into the waiting room with Changkyun following close behind. 

"Hyungwon-ah?" their manager asks, frowning in concern. "What's wrong? What's happened?" 

"His knee," Kihyun explains, instinctively wrapping his arm around Hyungwon's shoulders protectively. Hongsik bites his lower lip, shaking his head with a downcast gaze. 

"I'll take you to the doctor," he says in an almost-sigh. "Everyone else can wait here while I call the other car back to get you to the company building."

"I'm coming with you," Kihyun says, already standing to gather his things. Hongsik opens his mouth, possibly to argue, but Kihyun silences him with a withering gaze. No way in hell is he letting his boyfriend go to the hospital with an injury without him. "I'm going, and that's final," he tells Hongsik in a low, almost threatening voice. Hongsik sighs tiredly, waving at Kihyun to hurry and get his things. 

"Can you walk?" Hongsik asks. Hyunwoo steps forward readily, rolling his shoulders as if to prepare himself for carrying the younger. Hyungwon, however, nods. He's determined to show them all this isn't as bad as it seems, and that he can manage without going to the doctor. However, when he tries to stand, the pain multiplies, and it's all he has not to fall back on the couch as he cries out in agony. Kihyun holds him round the waist, keeping him upright until Hyunwoo gets close enough to pick him up. 

They all follow them out to the car, Kihyun getting into the backseat beside Hyungwon. He grips tightly onto the younger's hand, letting him know silently that everything will be alright, that he'll be okay. 

Hyungwon sullenly glances out the window, chewing on his bottom lip because he knows how untrue the sentiment is despite his love's best intentions.