Before It Was Real

During The Carriage Ride

1st Year  - 1st Semester (Before Chapter 4 of Part 4: On Their Way To The Royal Ball)

 

"Are you alone?"

 

The sudden question took Hayeon by surprise. She was seated on one of the waiting areas of the mall, keeping herself busy with her phone, completely minding her own business.

 

"Actually, I'm not." she answered easily, going back to her phone immediately. She doesn't want the guy to think she was even remotely interested in talking.

 

She thought the guy would get the message and leave her alone but what he did was slide on the seat next to Hayeon. She moved away instinctively, putting as much space as she can.

 

"Why don't we grab some ice cream first?" the guy asked again, not deterred by Hayeon's obvious disinterest.

 

At this, she closed off her phone, facing the guy, "I told you, I'm not alone." she said firmer this time.

 

"Well, you're alone right now." the guy pushed, leaning into her personal space. Well, that was until a hand grabbed the guy's shoulder to pull him away from Hayeon.

 

"Not anymore." Taekwoon's familiar voice said after. "Do you have other business with my girlfriend?" he asked menacingly.

 

He really is a good actor, Hayeon thought immediately. Taekwoon can be instantly intimidating if he wants to be, to the point that even Hayeon felt it even if it isn't directed at her.

 

The guy scurried to his feet and yelled an indignant, "You should've told me you were with your boyfriend!"

 

Hayeon's nerves flared, "I told you that, !"

 

She was still seething as Taekwoon pulled her away from the chairs and entered the ice cream place nearby.

 

"Seriously, the guys that come after you need their eyes checked." he said to himself, but was totally meant for Hayeon to hear. His mask is off now. He's just Taekwoon now, Hayeon's stupid best friend.

 

"You mean like how the girls that drool over your dirty socks need to get some sense knocked into them?"

 

Taekwoon sighed, "I wonder how many of those guys will stick around if they find out you take hours in the mall and come out with only one ridiculous looking shirt."

 

"Hey!"

 

But Hayeon still smiled to herself. No matter how much Taekwoon complains, he still doesn't let Hayeon go out alone, especially after the first time he saw how a guy came on to her when he left her for a moment to go find the restroom.

 

"I want a chocolate caramel sundae in a small cup please and half chocolate fudge brownie and half strawberry in the largest cup." he ordered.

 

Hayeon rolled her eyes at the selection. "You're going to get fat with all that sugar." she warned.

 

"We both know I won't."

 

"We have a couple special today where you can get 2 orders for the price of one, but you will have to share it in one cup." the staff informed them.

 

Taekwoon didn't even look at Hayeon for permission amd immediately answered "Yes, please." Afterall, they'd share the cup even if it isn't a "couple special". He also grabbed her hand, which she knows was completely staged, just so the staff wouldn't doubt if they really are eligible for the promo.

 

"I'll allow you to rent me as a boyfriend anytime, if I can get discounted ice cream every time." Taekwoon whispered in between bites, careful not to let anyone hear but Hayeon.

 

"Excuse me. I think you're the one who needs to rent me." she answered right back, the pink ice cream off her spoon.

 

"I'm not the one who frequents the mall." 

 

"And I'm not the one who will die without copious amount of sugar."

 

"At least I don't get fat." Taekwoon mentioned casually, eyeing Hayeon meaningfully.

 

She made a face at him, "I am not fat!"

 

"I didn't say anything." he said, smiling, then digging another spoonful of ice cream.